Replies

• Once_superman
    Once_superman Posts: 8 Member
    bump for later
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2016
    easfahl wrote: »
    Someone mentioned I can do plain sweet potatoes in the crock pot with no water. Do I just wash the potatoes and toss them in the pot? How long do I cook them and on what setting? Do they have to all be on the bottom of the cooker or can I just throw 5 potatoes in there to cook?

I oil them a bit & wrap in foil (optional). Clean up is easier. 4 hours on high, 6-7 hours on low.

Here's a light Thanksgiving Sweet Potato Crock Pot Casserole

Place peeled, cubed sweet potatoes in a 4-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix unsweetened applesauce, brown sugar (Splenda blend if desired) melted butter and cinnamon; pour over potatoes.

Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until potatoes are tender. If desired, sprinkle with pecans before serving. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 8 servings.
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    It is NOT a good idea to put frozen meat in the crock pot. The temperature rises too slowly to prevent bacteria from growing. Put in defrosted meat or partially cook the meat on the stove before putting in pot. This is especially true for chicken. It's unfortunate that the first comment here advises people to use raw chicken :/
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    I found a good price on beets this past week. I cook them in my crock pot and use them as a salad during the week.

Take 2 bunches of beets (I use regular and golden beets)
    scrub them. If they have the stems attached cut those off. (I leave about 2 inches of stems on the beets. If you cut them too short the beets liquid will drain out.)

Dry the whole beets and rub vegetable oil, and coarse salt on top.

put 2 layers of foil in crock pot. (enough to cover on all sides and fold over)
    add beets and fold the top of the foil.

cook 4 hours high.

let cool
    put on gloves and peel off skin then slice the beets and add a couple of tablespoons of balsamic vinegar.
    Done

*do not throw away the tops of the beets. wash them well, and chop them up. Saute with a little garlic and olive oil.
    Enjoy.

• agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    One last note. If regular beets are too strong for you try golden beets. They are sweet and mild. :)
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    bump
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    I made this yesterday and it was very tasty!

http://www.organizeyourselfskinny.com/2014/09/19/slow-cooker-chicken-divan/

Chicken, rice, cheese, onions and broccoli, basically. I divided mine into eight 1-cup portions, although you could probably get away with the 3/4-cup portions the recipe suggests - depends on how hungry you are! It came out to 384 cals per serving with my ingredients, and it was delicious! Even my generally-non-committal son said he really liked it. :)
  • Deanne182
    Deanne182 Posts: 18 Member
    :)
  • CAC10456
    CAC10456 Posts: 117 Member
    bump
  • mcfish618
    mcfish618 Posts: 48 Member
    Whole turkeys are super cheap right now. Find a small bird and you can cook the whole thing in the crockpot or buy a frozen turkey breast if you only like white meat.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/slow-cooker-pulled-turkey.html
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    I just tried this recipe for Crock Pot sausage and peppers using lean turkey sausage, all red peppers, and adding a little red wine and oregano. It was delicious!

http://iowagirleats.com/2015/10/19/crock-pot-sausage-and-peppers/
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    mcfish618 wrote: »
    Whole turkeys are super cheap right now. Find a small bird and you can cook the whole thing in the crockpot or buy a frozen turkey breast if you only like white meat.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/slow-cooker-pulled-turkey.html

Thanks for sharing this! I'm going to try it out tomorrow. I found this highly rated recipe for crock pot turkey and was planning to add a few things. I think I'll try the Trisha Yearwood recipe you shared with the addition of half a packet of onion soup mix to the seasoning (and reduce or eliminate the added salt).

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/92528/slow-cooker-turkey-breast/
  • leeannek1
    leeannek1 Posts: 16 Member
    These are great recipes! Thanks for sharing!
  • Just what I am looking for!
  • ericareed7090
    ericareed7090 Posts: 1 Member
    Salsa Chicken!

So good & healthy from weight watchers.

Chicken breast
    Can of cream of mushroom (or chicken) soup
    1 cup of salsa
    1 packet of taco seasoning

Once the chicken has become tender you can pull it apart with a fork in the crockpot. Serve with tortilla chips, brown rice or quinoa!
  • daisygirl2017
    daisygirl2017 Posts: 107 Member
    Chicken breasts
    Block of cream cheese
    Packet of taco seasoning
    place chicken in Crock-Pot mix seasonings & cream cheese and smear over chicken. Low for 8 hours. Shred & enjoy
  • i_am_toadie
    i_am_toadie Posts: 8 Member
    Best. Thread. Ever.
  • eahrenee
    eahrenee Posts: 157 Member
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    It is NOT a good idea to put frozen meat in the crock pot. The temperature rises too slowly to prevent bacteria from growing. Put in defrosted meat or partially cook the meat on the stove before putting in pot. This is especially true for chicken. It's unfortunate that the first comment here advises people to use raw chicken :/

I've made a ton of crockpot recipes over the years using raw or frozen chicken, and we haven't got sick yet. Maybe we're just lucky, huh? :)

I add frozen food to the crockpot all the time and have never been sick either.