HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Holy crapamoley!!!!!! Big boy weights and omfg 500lb leg press!!! You ladies rock!!!! I deloaded and corrected my form. I've gotten my butt way further down with squats finally and I'm gradually getting back up to my original personal bests on bench press and overhead press. My 60kg (132lb) deadlift today was my happy moment :smiley:

My daughter is 15 months old now, leg press so far is the 1st one I am back to my pre-pregnancy lifts weight wise on. Squat I am about 100lbs down still (180 now), and bench I have been stalled for a while as I switched gyms and used to use a jones smith and now am 100% free barbell so I don't think I will ever hit my old best of 150 (at 90 now)

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @keezo1 I love your excitement. I danced all the way home the day my gym brought in lighter bars so I could lift.

Make sure you are getting in .8-1g protein per lbs lbw, or ideal weight if you have a lot to lose, use good form, and follow a well established programme that suits your needs.

Take lots of pics. Post updates if you wish.

Cheers, h.
  • ChickenLittle1121
    ChickenLittle1121 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This thread is ridiculously inspiring. I have a question for those of you who have WAY more experience in this arena: I've injured my lower back (right above the booty) doing something (what that something was, I'm not sure) and now I'm worried that lifting may aggravate it. I'd like to start the Stronglifts program; are these exercises okay to preform with a sensitive back? Should I get a brace/belt for support?

Thank you in advance if you can answer these questions for me! Every one of you ladies are incredible!
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    This thread is ridiculously inspiring. I have a question for those of you who have WAY more experience in this arena: I've injured my lower back (right above the booty) doing something (what that something was, I'm not sure) and now I'm worried that lifting may aggravate it. I'd like to start the Stronglifts program; are these exercises okay to preform with a sensitive back? Should I get a brace/belt for support?

Thank you in advance if you can answer these questions for me! Every one of you ladies are incredible!

As someone who had a disc removed because of unknown things, I'd recommend seeing a Dr and getting clearance to start. You really don't want to go through that.... I also had bad knees when I was doing stronglifts and now my knees are cactus. I have a double knee replacement ahead of me. Sorry to be a Debby-downer, but I'd rather you had the facts ahead of you. I may just be "lucky" and have been born with dodgy joints, but it's still worth looking after your health number 1. I think the stronglifts focus on squats 3 times a week was just too much for me. A year if they'd been less regular and there had been split lunges or something to strengthen each leg my outcome would be different? I'll never know! Anyway, good luck to you and please get your back checked and start slowly... very slowly. Never ignore a twinge in there!
  • sunflowerhippi
    Options
    FeraFilia wrote: »
    I live a 30-45 minute drive from the nearest gyms (2 YMCAs and 1 Anytime Fitness), and that's just not feasible for regular workouts. I came across a weight bench at a yard sale that was all dusty, and picked it up complete with bars, plates, and hand weights for $30 a few months ago. I am excited to clean it up and use it! It made a good addition to my home gym that includes an elliptical and several DVDs. Women who lift have always been inspiring to me. You ladies are awesome. I can't wait until I have my own after pictures!

My gym is 30 minutes away so totally get it!
  • sunflowerhippi
    Options

I have issues in my lower back same area from 1 car accident and 1 issue from carrying items and slipping, and my right hip from pregnancy.

I asked my doctor what his opinion was and he said he was slightly clueless in some aspects as every person is different. He told me to work on it and go slow and light especially on back heavy things. I went and got a trainer who also did physical therapy and worked with him for 6 months on form, form, and form.

My deadlift is crap, epic status, because when I hit over 150lbs it hurts my back. Stiff leg, sumo, you name it. Trap bar is about only way I can do heavy weight deadlifts. My hip issue might have some to do with that.

Squat and bench no problems. I started out with stronglifts. I did good mornings and other lower back specific things at light weight to work on building up those muscles to be more supportive on top of it.

BUT for sure talk to your DR first!
  • ChickenLittle1121
    ChickenLittle1121 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    @zanyzana , @sunflowerhippi Thank you ladies! My insurance, while expensive, isn't particularly great coverage wise but I'll get an appointment scheduled to check before starting!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @sunflowerhippi I have seen you around the boards, but have never seen a side by side of you before.
    You are inspiring, thanks for posting.

Cheers, h.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    My new copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women will get here later this week. Looking to get more serious about lifting around Feb 1....which will correspond to reaching ONE-derland. Can't wait! You ladies are goddesses!!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options

You should direct this question to a Dr. who is sports aware or a good Phy. Therapist. You might want to start out doing core work without weights to strengthen your back and abs more before you consider serious lifting of anything.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    So I have tried to start lifting... I am typically stronger in my lower body but weak as heck in my upper. I can squat and deadlift with good form, but I seriously struggle to bench or OHP with the empty bar.

Any suggestions on how to build up to where I can do these with good form with the bar? I do not want to use pink girly weights lol, but would let's say 10 then 20 pound barbells work? Any advice?

Some hot ladies in this thread, very inspiring!!
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    karahm78 wrote: »
    So I have tried to start lifting... I am typically stronger in my lower body but weak as heck in my upper. I can squat and deadlift with good form, but I seriously struggle to bench or OHP with the empty bar.

Any suggestions on how to build up to where I can do these with good form with the bar? I do not want to use pink girly weights lol, but would let's say 10 then 20 pound barbells work? Any advice?

Some hot ladies in this thread, very inspiring!!

Try other exercises, like push-ups. You can start on an incline or on your knees and work up to full ones. Those will help with your bench. I do them instead of the bench because I don't have the right equipment at the moment.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!