HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• NyeMye
    NyeMye Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This thread is ridiculously inspiring. I have a question for those of you who have WAY more experience in this arena: I've injured my lower back (right above the booty) doing something (what that something was, I'm not sure) and now I'm worried that lifting may aggravate it. I'd like to start the Stronglifts program; are these exercises okay to preform with a sensitive back? Should I get a brace/belt for support?

Thank you in advance if you can answer these questions for me! Every one of you ladies are incredible!

I agree with zany. I have a neck injury and while I loved doing stronglifts, it really messed up my neck. My form was pretty good, too. I had it checked from time to time just to be sure. Your best bet is to get it to get the thumbs up from a doctor.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    karahm78 wrote: »
    So I have tried to start lifting... I am typically stronger in my lower body but weak as heck in my upper. I can squat and deadlift with good form, but I seriously struggle to bench or OHP with the empty bar.

Any suggestions on how to build up to where I can do these with good form with the bar? I do not want to use pink girly weights lol, but would let's say 10 then 20 pound barbells work? Any advice?

Some hot ladies in this thread, very inspiring!!

I still can't OHP or BP the 45lbs bar. Before my gym got me a woman's 35 lbs and a lighter 17lbs bar I did them both with either Dumbbells or used those body bars for form (padded bars used in aerobics classes) 6 to about 25 lbs.

Improvise with what you have available.

Cheers, h.
  • Ejm189x
    Ejm189x Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    karahm78 wrote: »
    So I have tried to start lifting... I am typically stronger in my lower body but weak as heck in my upper. I can squat and deadlift with good form, but I seriously struggle to bench or OHP with the empty bar.

Any suggestions on how to build up to where I can do these with good form with the bar? I do not want to use pink girly weights lol, but would let's say 10 then 20 pound barbells work? Any advice?

Some hot ladies in this thread, very inspiring!!

Just a suggestion, but I started YAYOG and had NO upper body strength. I bought a pull up bar and could just about do half a chin up and pull ups were impossible... Did YAYOG for a couple of weeks and then tried the bar again, knocked out 3 chin ups and 1 pull up!!! Now a couple of months later I can do 4 chin ups in a row or 3 pull ups!! :D (I don't do heavy lifting though so not sure if this will help you, but might be worth a shot)
    YAYOG = you are your own gym (body weight strength training)
  • lalittaazouz636
    lalittaazouz636 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bump ❤️
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    NyeMye wrote: »
    This thread is ridiculously inspiring. I have a question for those of you who have WAY more experience in this arena: I've injured my lower back (right above the booty) doing something (what that something was, I'm not sure) and now I'm worried that lifting may aggravate it. I'd like to start the Stronglifts program; are these exercises okay to preform with a sensitive back? Should I get a brace/belt for support?

Thank you in advance if you can answer these questions for me! Every one of you ladies are incredible!

I agree with zany. I have a neck injury and while I loved doing stronglifts, it really messed up my neck. My form was pretty good, too. I had it checked from time to time just to be sure. Your best bet is to get it to get the thumbs up from a doctor.

if your form was correct SL did not mess up your neck.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Tight neck is caused by you tensing up when performing lifts, such as row, bench press or shoulder press.
  • wndlady
    wndlady Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    6 inches off your waist, op is enough to make me want to sign up right there. Awesome job, all.
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Looking great! I just took my before pictures! I'll post more when I have some progress to show :)
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Wednesday87
    Wednesday87 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    BUMP

Great job ladies!! Thank you so much for the inspiration!
  • khlesnick
    khlesnick Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    you ladies look amazing! I am nearly done with NROWLFW and I am loving building muscle.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Bump :fist bump:
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Bump it up time.
  • kperk91
    kperk91 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Began seriously lifting heavy at end of December. Looking forward to when I can post pictures :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    So ive been working on myself for awhile now, but recently switched to lifting. I LOVE it! Wish I would have made the switch awhile ago. Here is a before pic and my current. My before was in the very beginning of my journy, my current is a couple months into lifting. Ive actually GAINED weight since I started but ive lost inches. Im now wearing a size pants I havent worn in 12 years and I feel great! I wish I would have taken a right beforfe lifting picture. You wouldnt know it, but in the short amout of time ive been lifting ive seen some great things going on with my body. My back fat is almost gone! I had back rolls, just a couple weeks ago. Also my booty is a little higher and my shoulders and arms are more slender. If any of you gorgeuos ladies have any tips for me, please feel free to share! Im always looking to soak up good info and Id love to hear some of your dos and donts and go tos. sp6ku7qg6u28.jpg

Yes!!! We converted another one!

You look terrific!!! As for tips, what are you currently doing?
  • That1Chick_Brit
    That1Chick_Brit Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    So ive been working on myself for awhile now, but recently switched to lifting. I LOVE it! Wish I would have made the switch awhile ago. Here is a before pic and my current. My before was in the very beginning of my journy, my current is a couple months into lifting. Ive actually GAINED weight since I started but ive lost inches. Im now wearing a size pants I havent worn in 12 years and I feel great! I wish I would have taken a right beforfe lifting picture. You wouldnt know it, but in the short amout of time ive been lifting ive seen some great things going on with my body. My back fat is almost gone! I had back rolls, just a couple weeks ago. Also my booty is a little higher and my shoulders and arms are more slender. If any of you gorgeuos ladies have any tips for me, please feel free to share! Im always looking to soak up good info and Id love to hear some of your dos and donts and go tos. sp6ku7qg6u28.jpg

Yes!!! We converted another one!

You look terrific!!! As for tips, what are you currently doing?

Thank you! @quiksylver296 Ive been kind of feeling everything out and seeing what I like, what I dont, What feels like its working and whats not. Generally I break it up into 3 sections. Upper one day, core, next, lower body nextand then a rest day. I do about 3 set/12 reps of mostly everything I do but im toying with more weight less reps. Id love to do more barbell work like squats and bench press and really push it, but I never have a spotter so is there moves or machines that I should be using that will give me the same resistance but in a safe way? I do dead lifts twice a week and they are by far my favorite thing to do. I'd love to find a good guide/regime to follow for a few weeks and see how it goes. Im still learning my way around it but its definitely me new found love. Ive see great things happening just while im feeling it out, I cant wait to see what happens when I get the hang of it. Oh Im still of a deficit too. I eat 1500 to 1800 cals a day
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!