Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Giving up sugar for good

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    It's a good article. It definitely would be helpful if people read it before commenting because he doesn't say "sugar is a drug". It is more along the lines of sugar could possibly be considered a drug because of the way it affects some people. He doesn't say everyone. He does say sugar should be looked at more closely for the effect it has on (some) people.

He writes that it may create problems for some people, health wise, but you won't know it until 20 years down the road when it is a bit late. The health problem is there. He encourages scientists and the government to look into how little sugar is too much.

Granted, I am a fan of his writing - I don't think he won his journalistic awards for writing woo - but I don't think this article is that out there. He questions sugar's nutritional and health value. A fair question in my mind. If people eat it, meaning a lot of it, they should know what sugar can do for or to them beyond giving a few moments of pleasure while ingesting it.

Sugar is some new substance that needs studying and we won't know for another 20 years? That doesn't even make sense...sugar is nothing new.

New? Who said new?

Although the amount of sugar people now consume is is relatively new. It seems to go up each decade.
  • getoffin1year
    getoffin1year Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Watch TedEd's three minute video on sugars effect on the brain. Is causes a dopamine release consistently while brocolli doesn't. Sex isn't a drug, but some people sure get addicted to that for the same reasons...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's a good article. It definitely would be helpful if people read it before commenting because he doesn't say "sugar is a drug". It is more along the lines of sugar could possibly be considered a drug because of the way it affects some people. He doesn't say everyone. He does say sugar should be looked at more closely for the effect it has on (some) people.

He writes that it may create problems for some people, health wise, but you won't know it until 20 years down the road when it is a bit late. The health problem is there. He encourages scientists and the government to look into how little sugar is too much.

Granted, I am a fan of his writing - I don't think he won his journalistic awards for writing woo - but I don't think this article is that out there. He questions sugar's nutritional and health value. A fair question in my mind. If people eat it, meaning a lot of it, they should know what sugar can do for or to them beyond giving a few moments of pleasure while ingesting it.

Sugar is some new substance that needs studying and we won't know for another 20 years? That doesn't even make sense...sugar is nothing new.

New? Who said new?

Although the amount of sugar people now consume is is relatively new. It seems to go up each decade.

The amount of calories in general has gone up considerably, not just sugar.

Excess calorie intake over time = obesity = health problems. It's not the sugar.

Meh. I've never been obese. I developed insulin resistance in my 30's, maybe even in my 20's, when I was a normal BMI, although on the high end by my 30's.

For me it went: High sugar intake = Health problem = weight gain
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I have to admit i never knew the part about "As for tobacco, sugar was, and still is, a critical ingredient in the American blended-tobacco cigarette, the first of which was Camel. It’s this “marriage of tobacco and sugar”, as a sugar-industry report described it in 1950, that makes for the “mild” experience of smoking cigarettes as compared with cigars and, perhaps more important, makes it possible for most of us to inhale cigarette smoke and draw it deep into our lungs." Interesting article, but yes, you will get slammed on this site talking about sugar being a drug or addictive. I also have a hard time eating sugar in moderation and find natural sugars in fruit to be enough in my diet. to keep my blood work levels "good" i limit all added sugar so i see/understand your point. Not many people are going to be positive towards this though.
    So do you believe sugar is a drug too?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
This discussion has been closed.