richmondlady Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Before:
    xp327dz78ewe.jpg
  • lacruiser2016
    lacruiser2016 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Awww...Yogi is a handsome fella!!

Lenora, feeling your distress. Although I live in Florida now, I was born and raised in north central Louisiana, and experienced those hideous straight line winds a couple of times. Once I was at a local country club playing tennis -- their lightning alarm went off and we scooted into the pro shop. When we went up to the main building, the beautiful trees in back were all laid down like matchsticks. Awful. (Side note: my first husband's father was from Albany, and we visited family there. I never could get used to how they pronounced it -- all-BANY :D)

Someone asked for suggestions for defeating sugar cravings. I have found that sugar is a vicious cycle, in that the more I eat the more I want. If I can leave it alone for a couple of weeks, the cravings are much less strong, and eventually go away. I do use sucralose in hot liquids like coffee -- also cook with it -- and use saccharine in cold drinks like iced tea. I know some people don't like the artificial sweeteners, though. I also keep a little bag of the Russell Stover sugar free mint patties around. When I really want something sweet, I can eat one of those -- and only one -- and feel satisfied. HTH
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Kim: Yes! We should definitely make plans to meet. Bay Area trip will be first week of May.

Charleen: Happy Birthday!!! What wonderful news about your quilt. Can't wait to meet you this Sunday. Lots to celebrate.

Loving all the doggie photos. And the flowers. Had a very dark, cold snowy day today. :(

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,978 Member
    Options
    :)Pip, whenever I see your dog pictures, it reminds me a great children's book "Five Dog Night" about a man who keeps himself warm in the winter with dogs in his bed. :)
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Good evening cyber sisters and especially new cyber sisters. I have my MRI report back, it's on my electronic chart but this former cardiac nurse understands things of the heart, not of the lumbar spine. So even though I called doctor's office today, he didn't call back. So I will make repeat call tomorrow. I also go get my hair cut which will do much for my pche. We also get a new hot water heater tomorrow. I called the same guy who did our bathroom in November. He now has made over $2000 off of us. Oh well. We have to have hot water. We got 1 1/2 inches of snow this morning. Our city gets all in a fuss over snow, wind, etc and cancels school. I am glad our grand daughter's school system has online school for snow days.

OK, my story. I have been here at MFP for I am sure over 2 years. I came when I had first been diagnosed diabetes 2. I already had a diagnosis of MS and high blood pressure. I convinced my family doc that I had the diabetes so that I could get training paid for by medicare on diet, glucose meter, etc. So I was gung ho, very deligent in my diet and exercise. It took about 18 months but I lost 60 pounds. I had gone from a size 22 to a 12. I knew I had some more to go, about 20 pounds. But I went complacent in my plan. I still looked good compared to what I had looked, my blood sugar was wonderful just like my A1c. I was able to go off my cholesterol medicine and cut my blood pressure medicine in half. So I was on and off a diet, I stayed away from the really bad things like ice cream, chocolate, breads, pizza, etc. I still tried to eat a lot of veggies, nice full salads with chicken and cranberries that I loved. I still used the low fat dressings. But I didn't go to the Y hardly anymore. I had a lot of problems with my neck and back and doctor didn't want me to use any of the machines that would strain those areas. I do have a recumbent bike at home and made a lame effort to use it. I steadily gained my weight back. I had started at 232 and gained back to 218. I have tried to make some changes because I was back in size 16 and they didn't look nice. So I weigh between 204 and 212 most of the time. So it isn't a pretty story. I don't have the same desire I had anymore to get back down to where I was. That's why I stay here. I hope I can get that motivation again. I didn't mention that I now have a stent in my heart due to a blockage. Because of that stent, I am on a medicine that can cause bleeding. I was recently in the hospital twice in December for severe nasal bleeding and had 3 units of blood. I don't know if it was the hospital beds or what but my back really gets me down now. But these women here will stay with you no matter what to get you where you want to go. DJ has a really good foot to kick you in the back when you need it. Maybe that's why my back hurts so much! I love the international flair and we get to know foods, customs, new words from other countries. Some of the girls have met, one even bought a car from on of the girls she met. Some of us have arguements, most of us do not, some people leave, most people kiss and make up. We generally try to stay from political, religious, sexuality, etc type of discussions. If we know of a difference of those things in one of our friends here, we just accept it love them for who they are. As you can see, there are many different journeys we take in our strive for better health. Many of us have different reasons, want to look better for a wedding, just tired of looking like that, etc.

Joyce, Indiana
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    I worked today so am playing catchup on reading tonight. Will hopefully get to a bio and pictures of our Schnoodle, Sophie, posted this weekend. She’s a pistol and our “kid”. I love all the dog and other pet photo’s! Thanks everyone for posting them!

Katla, we had 11 degrees this morning. We are also feeding 2 or 3 little hummingbirds– we have 2 feeders and Jim swaps them out during the day so they don't freeze. We've been feeding a stray kitty for the past year or so and it hasn't shown up to eat the past couple nights...it's been so cold. Hopefully it's found a warm place in the neighborhood with some good food.

Low predicted is 17 tonite, then the rains return this weekend.

My favorite British author – MC Beaton! We’ve read all the Hamish MacBeth and Agatha Raisin books and reread them every now and then. Also, the Ruth Galloway mysteries by Elly Griffiths are super good.

Visiting the UK and especially Scotland is on my bucket list. We used to raise Shetland Sheep which came from the Shetland Islands back in the 1960’s, and I had a “pen pal” for a while, Sheila Gear, who lived on Foula Island.

Time for “Alone” so will close for now. Enjoy seeing what those folks do to survive.

Lanette
    SW Washington State
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,697 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Pip, whenever I see your dog pictures, it reminds me a great children's book "Five Dog Night" about a man who keeps himself warm in the winter with dogs in his bed. :)

yogi is always on the bed, right in between us by our heads... Floyd sometimes at the end on Kirby's side. Bullwinkle the old lady doesn't get on the bed anymore unless we coax her up and help her up on the bed
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Penny I think it was a question on Jeopardy the other day that I got correct just because of you. Was so proud!!! My husband asked how in the world I knew that and I said it was because of a friend on MFP.

Well, off to get ready to go to choir. I have done a TENS treatment tonight to prepare for this.

I saw that episode. I still didn't know the answer, but I said at the time I should know this because it's where Penny at the Pole lives.

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    BeLLe_60 wrote: »
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    For all the ladies in the 40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge - Fitness Test where you did as many of the three exercises in a minute, I finally figured out that they wanted you to pick one of the exercises for the challenge this month. I picked push-ups. So I am doing push-ups daily to increase the amount by the end of the month.

Charleen- Happy Birthday! I hope you have a great day celebrating! Congratulations on your quilt! I remember how beautiful it is.

Allie- it's nice to see you take charge even under horrible circumstances. (((Hugs))). We are all here for you!

<3

Mary from Minnesota

@fanncy0626 This is a quote from mom22kidsaz
    40lbs lost by May 27th I just got this from Belle Fitness Test
    "We are doing all 3 exercises for the challenge. However, you do what works with your body and make any modifications to the exercise. (I think the screenshot says to pick one exercise, but we figured it is a great baseline for different parts of your body.)"

I did see the one exercise notation on the bottom of the image posted.. but followed along with what everyone else was doing and posting. Its confusing.

So tomorrow I will be doing 3x10 of each exercise!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

weighing – I weigh most everyday, and only post it on Fridays – I have learned that I can totally pig out and it will not show on the next morning’s weigh in, but the day after – watch out! Now that makes no sense at all…. But is true for me…

In my search for ways to support my areas of interest I am (with some friends from yoga) joining the woman’s march on Jan 21, I’ll be doing the one in Oakland, it will be interesting, I have not participated in a march since Viet Nam, and that was a different time.

I’ve been here a while and still love the occasion bios that we do… so here’s mine…
    2nd generation native Californian, I like to travel (can’t afford much) but have been to England, Scotland, Wales, Italy, Bahama, Canada (Toronto) , Costa Rica – and many of the states.

I’m 58 years young, single – never married, no kids, 2 god-kids, 1 nephew, and although I am a god mom, I am religion neutral. I have a dog, Levi, a rescue English Springer Spaniel who is a great companion, but doesn’t like other animals – he loves people!

I’m still working, I own 2 small businesses – a machine embroidery business – so I embroider logos for businesses, names on towels, blankets, bags, monograms – pictures can be seen on my facebook page – facebook.com/LivingGourmetDublin I work my business afternoons evenings and weekends and in the morning I run a small gardening business – I garden in a pesticide free veggie garden at a children’s camp 3 days a week, and in private gardens the other days.

I’ve been part of MFP for just shy of 3 years and lost 28 lbs, I have 20-30 more to go, but have not been fully committed for about 18 months, although I have kept the weight off and that in its self is a win for me.

In my down time I love to do crafts, cook, read and work in my own yard. I love to have friends over, so if you are ever in the San Francisco bay area, let me know!

Marcelyn – that giraffe should be on a greeting card!

Carol – pods are extra fiber! LOL

Rori - You are coming to San Francisco??? Could we meet? SF is an hour drive or 55 min on our transit system from me, I’d love to come to you, or host you at my place!

January Goals:
    Write Christmas letter, and have all cards ready to send by Dec1…this was for nov. but still working on it. Jan. still working on this….**** GET THIS DONE*******
    Read and report on a book –
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday –
    Work on water consumption –
    Lunch with Kyle -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California

Hey Kim, fellow revolutionary! I am making hats for the marchers. Trying to stay focused on positive actions too. Knitting again is filling me with great joy!
    Betty
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    My big goal for the rest of January is to do away with sugar. I gave up soda years ago and thought this was going to be easy but I was so wrong! Any suggestions?

Mine, too. I'm taking it slow, starting with the obvious. I am using stevia and some honey plus naturally sweet foods like carrots and fruit.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Katla – We’ve only had really heavy rains. Old neighborhood and two counties were struck by a ‘tornado’ or more … a fly over of some of the area shows that a lot of it was just ‘straight wind storms’ … trees all fell in one direction. Other places looked more like a tornado hit. I can’t say that I am particularly ‘warm’; but, so far, I’m safe.

Our hummers fly ‘south’ to South America when it starts getting the least bit chilly. Then come back in the Spring. First one we see, we put the feeders out. They can sure empty them quickly. This year we had 6 feeders out and I was refilling them every other day. They fight over them, if one goes to a feeder, and there are 3 more at another; they’ll run him off. We watch where they go. One to our Japanese Magnolia; 2 to the Cypress tree, 2 more to the pines. Every one of them seem to have staked out a place they call their own.

richmondlady – OMG – that’s awful! We get a lot of ‘tornado’ warning/watches. The kids cover over because we live in a house, they live in a trailer. When Katrina hit Miami. Sister’s house went unscathed; but, every green thing growing in her yard and surrounding homes were ‘gone’. I think she might have had a couple of broken tiles on their roof. They had gone ‘north’ instead of down to Homestead as planned. That would have been worse. Said that ‘if’ another hurricane is forecast to hit the mainland, she is evacuating and coming further north. She said the condo they went to stay in was hit pretty hard, even with hurricane shutters on it. She has them on her condo and she is up 9 floors, too. When Inez stalled over SW GA, we were down there, on vacation.

My boss called to tell me there was no way to get back across the Flint River. When we finally were able to come home, we rode over Lake Blackshear and the water as all the way up to the bottom of the roadbed of the bridge. Exactly one week later, we went back over the same bridge and the lake was totally dry. Worst flood ever in the area; called it the 500 year flood. No records were ever that bad. People living on the creek showed pictures of where someone had nailed a piece of wood to where it had been at its highest; and then it was probably 20’ deeper in the same point. He'd check on our house; the only flooding was at each end of the one block street.

lacruiser2016 – Yeah, natives of Albany pronounce it all-BEENY; I am not aware of saying it that way until I hear a recording of myself. But, I don’t think I have a Southern Drawl until I hear myself on a recording. And it is a very SOUTHERN DRAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWLLLLL!!!! My DYS, DDnL#2 and DGD#4 live in Vidalia, LA (and have a place near Clayton … which is in the West Bezeezah nowhere). Eleven miles off that main road going into Vidalia, LA and Natchez).

Welcome to all the Newbies … let us know what name you prefer to be called, give us a location (general or specific), and tell us somethings about yourself. Marriage, children, hobbies, etc., so we can get to know you better. CI/CO (Calories In/Calories Out); DH … or D-anything might mean ‘dear’ or ‘damn’ depending on our moods. If you have questions about abbreviations, someone will know the answer.

Lenora
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening My Dear Friends,

Charleen, happy-birthday-smiley-emoticon.gif

Mary, I won’t be gone again. Just staying busy with getting the house empty and the movers sent on their way. I’m also trying to rent it for her and doing some needed repairs. It is truly a labor of love. At the Estate Sale last week someone was buying a conch shell that she had bought on one of our cruises and it made me teary eyed. Today I’m meeting a contractor there to do a roof repair and a few other things.
    Janetr, that is too funny that others read Toni’s post the same way. But OMG, I can’t imagine it has anything to do with our age??? I mean really…do ya think??? Could it be?? mischievous-grin-smiley-emoticon.gif

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

It’s not a pound but I have cleaned and cut up some fresh veggies to take with me today. I will be gone until early afternoon and hope this will keep me from needing lunch or at least until I get home.
    Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.
    I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC