Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Giving up sugar for good

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    LINIA wrote: »
    OP---you are correct and so is Gary Taubes---fully half of people in the US (and some other places) are obese or overweight, they can not control the intake of sugar/carbs and they are having negative health impacts.

Here at MFP, we hear from many who can eat sugar/carbs within CiCo and those ppl refuse to believe that this does not work for sugar/carb addicts.
    No they can control it IF THEY REALLY WANT TO. There really aren't any "sugar/carb addicts". There are people who like it more than they like eating other stuff because it tastes good.
    And as a professional in the business, I'm sure I've dealt personally with more overweight/obese people than many of the posters and can tell you emphatically that BEHAVIOR can be altered with consistency and support.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    Hmmm. It all comes down to gluttony and sloth then? And a fat enough wallet to afford you or some other sort of support?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    birdtobe wrote: »
    @lyn_glenmont Buying a sack of sugar to add to cakes and pies and homemade treats is very different from having sugar added to almost everything you buy in a grocery store filled with processed food. Are you really arguing that people today eat in the same way they did 50 years ago--or in the 19th century?

So sugar isn't really the issue then...it's the prevalence and reliance of many on processed food goods that is a bigger issue. Perhaps more education on the awesomeness of more whole foods and less demonizing sugar is in order...perhaps educating people to move away from the SAD is in order...you don't have to equate sugar with crack cocaine to have that discussion...

I eat the same way people ate 50 years ago...actually, I probably eat better.

• Ty_Floyd
    Ty_Floyd Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You obviously did not read the whole piece and are twisting what it meant to say.

I'm not twisting anything; those words were a direct quote from the article:
    "Together, obesity and Type 2 diabetes rank among our nation’s greatest health problem, and they largely result from what many call an “addiction” to sugar. But solving this problem is more complicated than solving drug addiction, because it requires reducing the drive to eat unhealthy foods without affecting the desire to eat healthy foods when hungry."

Did *you* read the whole piece?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Falcon wrote: »
    We're all gonna die. I read this article and it scared the *kitten* out of me. Apparently there was a lot of resistance from the medical community in the past about the destruction and cancer-causing effects sugar creates in the body. I NEED HELP kicking sugar. It's so hard man.
    if that's true then why wasn't cancer higher 300 years a go verses now?

Too much of one thing is not good for you. Moderation is okay. In the last twenty years cancer is up, so is the amount of aspartame (derived from weed killer. And you wonder why people are realizing its not such a good idea to consume it after all), preservatives in the food to make it last longer on the shelves. The amount of chemicals found in our water that causes people to get sick. May I go on?

If you're really worried about it, drink more tea, put lemon in your water. It's been known to help your body become an inhospitable environment for cancer cells to grow. (Doctors don't want their patients to know that. Otherwise they would be out of a job.)
    Do you even know what the chemical make up of aspartame is? If so, explain how it's derived from weed killer? Consequently cancer may be higher for a couple of reasons: Weight related issues and an aging population being kept alive longer due to medical technology.

So much this.

Simply living longer increases the chances of anyone developing cancer in their lifetime.

Or kidney issues. Or heart disease. Or respiratory/circulatory problems. Or....

This. Better treatments of diseases, etc make people live long enough to develop cancer when they wouldn't have otherwise as their disease would have killed them before that point
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    http://healthdefine.com/medical-advice/what-is-aspartame-and-the-aspartame-side-effects

maybe the fact that the company that produces aspartame also produces herbicides should raise a red flag.
  • Ty_Floyd
    Ty_Floyd Posts: 102 Member
    Options

Yes, I read this whole piece, and their study is weak and preliminary, because it's based on animal findings and presumes an addiction to soda consumption in humans.

Silliness.

Others would disagree with your assessment:

“This study represents, in my opinion, an outstanding step forward in understanding the many intricate aspects of feeding behaviors,” says Antonello Bonci, scientific director at the National Institute on Drug Abuse, who was not involved with the research. “While there have been many excellent studies in the past, looking at the compulsive drive of substance-use disorders, this is the first time that a study goes very deeply and comprehensively into the same aspects for compulsive feeding behavior. From a translational perspective, the extraordinary multidisciplinary approach used in this study produced a very exciting finding: that compulsive sugar consumption is mediated by a different neural circuit than physiological, healthy eating.”

But anyway, I'm sure those who are interested will read the report for themselves.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @chocolate_owl "Switching out your normal searching for scholar.google.com might be a good place to start."

This is awesome I never knew this was available!
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    elsesvan wrote: »
    Our body has absolutely no use of sugar. None! -we eat it because it tastes good. It's a treat. And we like to treat ourselves,even if it's good or bad. Some people are more likely to get addicted to "treats", (in some forms), than others ;) Salt is something the body needs, BUT not much-just enough! Happy New year :)

Not true at all. Our bodies and brains do need sugar to function.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    birdtobe wrote: »
    @Ty_Floyd I find it frankly amazing how angrily people are reacting to the information you presented quite neutrally.

For me, sugar may not have been as addicting as cocaine, but since reducing it drastically from my diet (going from a ridiculous 125g or something per day!) to a more sensible 24g per day has made a world of difference in my cravings. I think there are other people for whom that is also true. Do I believe that sugar is a drug? Nah. Do I think trying to avoid it as much as possible is very beneficial *for some people* in controlling cravings? Absolutely. I'm glad I discovered people like Taubes because it helped me think hard about what sugar does to my body and make thoughtful choices about how much of it I want to consume. Maybe the article you shared will have the same impact on others. Thanks for posting it.

Because some of us have actually had friends and family members who were actually addicted to drugs...calling sugar an "addiction" and making cocaine references is pretty much just insulting to people who actually have problems that go beyond some mere cravings...

I used to self-medicate with alcohol, and other substances and behaviors, and the cravings I felt for food felt exactly the same.

They may well have felt very similar, but food cravings and true physical substance addiction aren't the same thing. That's the distinction being made here. You may well have been 'addicted' to the behavior of eating, which is a psychological issue and not a physical one. :)

Yes, I'm not claiming that sugar (or food) is physically addicting like crack is. I've mentioned behavioral addiction earlier in this thread. Gambling is a behavioral addiction. There are drugs to help with physical withdrawal, but other than that, both types of addictions can be treated similarly.
This discussion has been closed.