Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Giving up sugar for good

Options

Replies

• elsesvan
    elsesvan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Our body has absolutely no use of sugar. None! -we eat it because it tastes good. It's a treat. And we like to treat ourselves,even if it's good or bad. Some people are more likely to get addicted to "treats", (in some forms), than others ;) Salt is something the body needs, BUT not much-just enough! Happy New year :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    kayemme wrote: »
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Sorry - I lost interest when he calls sugar a drug. It's not a drug and it's not addictive. People may LIKE the taste of sugar and thus want to consume more but it's no more addictive than cheese is (which is something I have problems moderating but I'm not addicted to it).

I really wish people would stop listening to this kind of low intellect fear-mongering.

/rant

"[Casein], which is present in all dairy products, can trigger the brain’s opioid receptors which are linked to addiction."

http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/food-drink/cheese-triggers-the-same-part-of-brain-as-hard-drugs-study-finds-a6707011.html

The hypothesis is that milk triggers this reaction so that baby animals drink as much of it as they can so they can get all their nutrients in before they are weaned. It makes sense to me!

bests,

Seems like they took a look at the study, then googled what casomorphines are, read "opioid" in the definition and made an a** out of u and me.

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/scicurious/no-cheese-not-just-crack
  • LeileiNadine
    LeileiNadine Posts: 13 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Too much sugar makes me feel rubbish, takes my weight up (whether it's in outright sugar form or too many carbs causing my blood sugar to go cray cray) I kind of wonder if those that are singing the praises of sugar don't want to admit that they are a lil addicted, just sayin ;-)
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks for this article, very informative and for me certainly true, especially this quote

Trying to consume sugar in moderation, however it’s defined, in a world in which substantial sugar consumption is the norm and virtually unavoidable, is likely to be no more successful for some of us than trying to smoke cigarettes in moderation – just a few a day, rather than a whole pack. Even if we can avoid any meaningful chronic effects by cutting down, we may not be capable of managing our habits, or managing our habits might become the dominant theme in our lives. Some of us certainly find it easier to consume no sugar than to consume a little – no dessert at all, rather than a spoonful or two before pushing the plate to the side.
    If sugar consumption is a slippery slope, then advocating moderation is not a meaningful concept.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    birdtobe wrote: »
    Humans have been consuming sugar since the dawn of time...[/quote]

Humans have been consuming sugar since the dawn of time, but processed sugar is really relatively new. There is added sugar in so much of what we eat that simply wasn't there two or thee generations ago. You can argue that it has no impact, but to imply that people have been eating sugar in the same quantities and the same manner that they do today is a little misleading.
    [/quote]

You could walk into the general store and buy a sack of sugar in the 19th century. How long do you think a generation is?
This discussion has been closed.