Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Giving up sugar for good

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Yes, I'm not claiming that sugar (or food) is physically addicting like crack is. I've mentioned behavioral addiction earlier in this thread. Gambling is a behavioral addiction. There are drugs to help with physical withdrawal, but other than that, both types of addictions can be treated similarly.

I'm curious if there isn't something to this. Is it possible that sugar, while not physically addicting, might be emotionally addicting to some people? Is there a difference between "needing" to gamble and "needing" comfort foods? And is this the type of addiction Taubes is (poorly) talking about?

I don't think that "sugar" is behaviorally addicting, but I do think eating can be, and of course that eating will most commonly be directed toward highly palatable and available foods that you enjoy in most cases.

What I don't think is that having trouble not eating a second cookie or being tempted by cannoli in the breakroom = addiction of any sort. But to go back to the 600 lb life thing someone mentioned, sure I think super morbid obesity is often related to an addictive-type response.

I also think there are some links between BED and even just emotional eating and addiction. I don't think the latter is an addiction, but there are similarities and certain responses will help with both. Don't know enough about BED and the research to classify it, but I'd not object if someone did classify it as addiction.
  • lemurcat12
    kimny72 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Ty_Floyd wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    You may want to brush up on your physiology a bit. The human brain relies on glucose (that's a sugar, in case you didn't know) as its main source of energy. The brain accounts for 2% of your body weight, but consumes about 20% of your glucose-derived energy. (All of which may actually help explain some of the posts in this thread.)

I believe the body can produce glycogen from dietary protein as well in the absence of carbohydrates, is that not correct?
    As for the whole addiction BS - I've seen alcoholics who will drink mouthwash for its alcohol content when they don't have access to booze. I've seen plenty of heroin and meth addicts who will commit burglaries or steal from their own families to support their habits. Show me a "sugar addict" who will grab a spoon and start shoveling down sugar from a bag when their usual treats aren't available if you want to talk about sugar truly being addictive. Or maybe one who goes and breaks into other people's houses to eat their sugary treats.

Well the truth is that there is rarely a place/time when one doesn't have access to sugary treats (at least in the West).
    But yes there are many documented cases of people who sneak/steal food, or go out in the middle of the night to a 24-hr convenience store to get it.

Right, "food". People will sneak food, like chicken legs or potato chips even. Not necessarily sugar. Do you have any tales of some sugar addict realizing they are out of soda so they sneak a spoon and a bag of sugar into their room?

Sugar is not an addictive substance. People for sure can develop an emotional or behavioral addiction to eating. But sugar is not an addictive substance.

Quoting myself because with everything else in this thread, why not start quoting ourselves?

What is really blowing my mind is, no one is saying everyone should eat massive amounts of sugar. No one is denying that excess sugar is a prime reason for excess calories, and probably affects the body in other adverse ways. No one is saying that moderating sugar intake in general or added sugar in particular is a bad idea. No one is saying that avoiding added sugar is a bad idea. NO ONE.

All anyone is saying is that sugar is not an addictive substance, and you don't need to eliminate it from your diet. That's it. If you want to cut out added sugar because you have no control with it, go for it! But that doesn't make it addictive, it doesn't make it necessary for everyone to do, it doesn't make sugar the one big problem for everyone. That's all anyone is saying!

Great summary!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Gamliela wrote: »
    It feels like I'm witnessing a discussion on a religious topic, its sooo long.

So far I've learned that:

1. everyone who decides to give up sugar believes that they should because it is as addictive as heroin.

2. all mfp longtimers are really healthy and they all eat sugar 'in moderation'.

3. *kitten* don't eat sugary foods, especially candy bars and their pimps never buy those things for them.

IDK

4. Everyone who decides to give up sugar is shifting the blame, trying to avoid taking responsibility and/or hysterical.

5. Sugar isn't addictive because people won't steal to get it, but if they do, that's only because they're kleptomaniacs.

6. The definition of moderation is: "whatever works for me"...

7. Because some MFP members aren't addicted to sugar, that means no-one else is either.

This is great!! (:-)

:D
    2. all mfp longtimers are really healthy and they all eat sugar 'in moderation'. {/quote]

What is a long timer? Do I qualify yet? I've been around for about 20 months... Sugar is usually well under 10g per day.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Gamliela wrote: »
    It feels like I'm witnessing a discussion on a religious topic, its sooo long.

So far I've learned that:

1. everyone who decides to give up sugar believes that they should because it is as addictive as heroin.

2. all mfp longtimers are really healthy and they all eat sugar 'in moderation'.

3. *kitten* don't eat sugary foods, especially candy bars and their pimps never buy those things for them.

IDK

4. Everyone who decides to give up sugar is shifting the blame, trying to avoid taking responsibility and/or hysterical.

5. Sugar isn't addictive because people won't steal to get it, but if they do, that's only because they're kleptomaniacs.

6. The definition of moderation is: "whatever works for me"...

7. Because some MFP members aren't addicted to sugar, that means no-one else is either.

This is great!! (:-)
    How many people have you worked with that are "addicted" to sugar? Lol, I can tell you I've done a few hundred that "thought" they were addicted and found out that they could actually moderate it if they just focused on it. Mind you can't be an "addict" and moderate what you're addicted to. Right?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I have interacted with a few hundred who abstained from sugar as their primary means of losing weight with much success in the long term.

Sugar is not an addictive substance yet people can become addicted to eating it. People can also become addicted to other substances or combinations such as salt and fat yet have no addiction to sugar. Whatever anyone wants to call it, the reality is the same: Abstinence is a viable option for those who struggle moderating. Whether you struggle with refraining from overeating bacon or cupcakes, abstinence might work for you. On the other hand, many will find abstinence to be unsustainable and even triggering. Those individuals would probably find greater success moderating.

Get in where you fit in.
  • lemurcat12
    moe0303 wrote: »
    ...Whatever anyone wants to call it, the reality is the same: Abstinence is a viable option for those who struggle moderating. Whether you struggle with refraining from overeating bacon or cupcakes, abstinence might work for you. On the other hand, many will find abstinence to be unsustainable and even triggering. Those individuals would probably find greater success moderating...

Truth, and I don't think anybody is arguing that point. Abstinence is a viable option for virtually anything that somebody has trouble moderating. The disconnect in every one of these ridiculous sugar threads is the blanket fearmongering about "sugarz iz da debilz!!1!" and how it's poison and just like cocaine and heroin and you're going to end up finding yourself scantily clad on a dark street corner selling your body for your next Twinkie if you so much as taste the demon sugar.

Exactly.
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    I am amused at people who think sugar can not be addictive. ;O

Scientists amuse you?

I'm not even, yeah no, shouldn't had said that on here, I know how you people are >.<

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited January 2017
    elsesvan wrote: »
    Our body has absolutely no use of sugar. None! -we eat it because it tastes good. It's a treat. And we like to treat ourselves,even if it's good or bad. Some people are more likely to get addicted to "treats", (in some forms), than others ;) Salt is something the body needs, BUT not much-just enough! Happy New year :)

You may want to brush up on your physiology a bit. The human brain relies on glucose (that's a sugar, in case you didn't know) as its main source of energy. The brain accounts for 2% of your body weight, but consumes about 20% of your glucose-derived energy. (All of which may actually help explain some of the posts in this thread.)
    @elsesvan is absolutely correct. There is no dietary requirement in human beings for glucose. (There's also no need to severely restrict it, except if medically advised or by your own choice for behavioural food-addiction reasons.)

The brain is able to utilize both glucose and ketones for it's metabolic requirements. For those on a ketogenic diet, it will still require a very tiny bit of glucose - but the majority of it's energy needs are met by ketones.

For someone in a healthy state of ketosis, the human body needs approximately 20-30g of total glucose per day for the following: The brain, kidney medulla, erythrocytes and the male testes. Even if somebody restricts carbohydrate intake to less than that required, the process of gluconeogenesis is more than capable of easily supplying this small amount, even in the most severely glycogen-depleted individuals.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    moe0303 wrote: »
    ...Whatever anyone wants to call it, the reality is the same: Abstinence is a viable option for those who struggle moderating. Whether you struggle with refraining from overeating bacon or cupcakes, abstinence might work for you. On the other hand, many will find abstinence to be unsustainable and even triggering. Those individuals would probably find greater success moderating...

Truth, and I don't think anybody is arguing that point. Abstinence is a viable option for virtually anything that somebody has trouble moderating. The disconnect in every one of these ridiculous sugar threads is the blanket fearmongering about "sugarz iz da debilz!!1!" and how it's poison and just like cocaine and heroin and you're going to end up finding yourself scantily clad on a dark street corner selling your body for your next Twinkie if you so much as taste the demon sugar.

People have argued that point in the past...I haven't read the whole thread here. While I don't doubt that people have said "Sugar is the devil" or that it is "just like cocaine and heroine" I think the debate will better served if the hyperbolic outliers are ignored.

Saying "I am addicted to sugar" is not the same thing as saying that it is a substance which will create a physical dependence. This seems to be the sticking point for the argument. @RobD520 had a very informative thread which discussed this concept a while back. Unfortunately, this is such an emotionally charged subject that people are reluctant to put forth the effort to consider the actual message.

For what it's worth, I think Taubes in general paints with too wide a brush in seemingly saying sugar is addictive to all people.
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    You just knew this topic was going to die a slow painful death.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    eeejer wrote: »
    I love it when people say "I don't eat sugar" then they say "I eat lots of fruits" in the same post.

I eat sugar, but most of it comes from fruit. And i cant even use the fibre argument as around 580g of watermelon and cantaloupe provide a pathetic 3g of fibre.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    I agree that sugar cravings in no way resemble drug addiction. But the prostitute and pimping comments above got me thinking.. Would people who claim to have a sugar addiction, or whatever their problem food is go walk the streets and sell their bodies, steal from family, friends and neighbours, risk imprisonment etc etc if a gram bag of candy cost them $250?? If the answer is yes, then an addiction you may have...

FTR: I'm not a sugar pusher, my sugar grams go way too high in summer due to fruit, and drop back down in winter.

This was an interesting point. What price would we be willing to pay for the sweets we love? A major price hike would definitely solve a lot of my problems. ;)

Ut-oh... that might open up a whole "should sugar be taxed" argument!
This discussion has been closed.