Teacher says Pop Tarts are not a healthy snack

Options

Replies

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Happy to home school. For me it's not about nutrition it's about the gross overreach. The Nanny State is snowballing. They should NOT be able to tell parents what to feed their kids. Anyone who thinks granola is instantly a healthful choice has obviously never read the nutrition labels on this stuff. Granola can have just as much bad stuff in it as anything else. I would tell that teacher when she starts chipping in on my groceries then she can tell me what to buy. Then I would ask her if she ever ate a Pop-Tart in her life and demand full access to her kitchen so that I could weed out all of the dietary evil she is storing there.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    brdnw wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    brdnw wrote: »
    400 calories for a pack of poptarts is certainly trash. I don't know why you'd buy them.
    Because kids sometime want something sweet and as part of a balanced diet there is nothing wrong with them?

400 calories probably make up 1\3 of their daily needs depending on their age, and you want that to go to poptarts? What about poptarts aide in a 'balanced' diet?

2 poptarts have a total of 76g of carbs. That's gross.

Lots of people only eat one pop tart, I believe OP said she gave him one. A 200 calorie sweet treat fits quite nicely into an otherwise nutritious and balanced diet.

76 grams of carbs is "gross"? :confused:

Yes 76 grams of carbs from a trash source like Pop Tarts is gross, especially for a young child.

IMO borderline child abuse if done on a regular basis.

Options
    As a child my mum really restricted "unhealthy" food so consequently as soon as I had my own money I went to the shop, bought as much sweets and pop as I could and would sneak off to eat it. The start of a habit of a lifetime. I totally agree with op there shouldn't be good or bad foods, just a good healthy balance and understanding. If I was stranded on mount everest in freezing conditions a pop tart would be a better choice than an apple!

YEP! I have 2 brothers and a sister. In my house we were not even allowed access to the kitchen. I once poured myself a small amount of milk that resulted in a beating. We did not have junk food in the house for the most part. My mother would send us to the store to buy her a candy bar and coke for her and sat watching her soap opera and consuming her treats. When we did get our hands on money? Boy howdy was it ever on like Donkey Kong. This life long pattern of over indulgence has been a battle for me. I don't know if it stems from not being allowed any type of treats on a regular basis, or something else. But I do know that the restrictions at home obviously did not instill a lifetime of healthy habits. However, I would prefer an apple over a Pop-Tart in certain situations. LOL!
    Options
    Pop-Tarts are not the devil, nor did the teacher suggest they were. If it's a public school then teachers have the right to teach whatever the school dictates. This seems a very silly argument especially given that your child is involved. Is making your child afraid to pull out his snack really worth digging your heels in and making your point to his teacher? What harm is there in simply explaining that you disagree with the teacher but still following the rules?

Public school is paid for by the tax payers..... who send their children to the public school. Removing the parents choices for their children in an institution that they are FORCED BY LAW to pay for is atrocious.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I didn't go into teaching.
  • Packerjohn
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Pop-Tarts are not the devil, nor did the teacher suggest they were. If it's a public school then teachers have the right to teach whatever the school dictates. This seems a very silly argument especially given that your child is involved. Is making your child afraid to pull out his snack really worth digging your heels in and making your point to his teacher? What harm is there in simply explaining that you disagree with the teacher but still following the rules?

Public school is paid for by the tax payers..... who send their children to the public school. Removing the parents choices for their children in an institution that they are FORCED BY LAW to pay for is atrocious.

If they don't like it home school.

Someone can't smoke in a public building paid for by taxes. Just because taxpayers pay for it doesn't mean there aren't rules.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    Years and years ago when I worked at a daycare there was a 4 year old little girl who literally weighed more than I did. She was morbidly obese and could barely walk. Both her parents were the same way. Every day in her lunch box she had crap food. Cheetos, chocolate pudding, cookies etc, absolutely nothing nutritious. When all the other kids would be playing she be scooting a chair up to the counter where we kept the lunch boxes so she could grab something out of her lunchbox to eat and would cry when we told her not to. An extreme example I suppose and I'm not assuming that your son is obese, but we never gave her everything that was in her lunch box because it would be child abuse. I suppose her parents could have looked in her lunchbox at the end of the day and saw there was still cookies in there and be insulted that we thought that their choices weren't healthy but the fact is they weren't and it was up to us to make that choice because obviously she wasn't getting good choices at home either. The teacher doesn't know if a child is getting nutritious meals at home so it's her job to make sure that when the child is in her supervision, that they're well taken care of and Pop-Tarts ain't going to cut it.

That seems more like a case for social services to me.
  • Packerjohn
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

If they don't like it home school.

Someone can't smoke in a public building paid for by taxes. Just because taxpayers pay for it doesn't mean there aren't rules.

Nope. Sorry. The school can get their noses out of the parent's pantry. It is plenty enough to have a dress code and code of conduct. Trying to control the groceries in anyone's home is overreaching. The school needs to learn their boundaries.

They aren't controling the parents pantry, they are controling what comes into the school.

Just like people can smoke till their lungs blow up at home but not in a public building.
  • ACrazyNightOwl
    ACrazyNightOwl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Maybe they are unhealthy but that teacher does not have the right to prohibit your child from eating them.
  • Packerjohn
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Maybe they are unhealthy but that teacher does not have the right to prohibit your child from eating them.

The school has the right to say what foods come in the school. However, these items need to be well defined.
  • dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I did't know what a pop tart is...probably due to the fact that i dont eat processed foods.
    i checked them out on the internet and it doesent look very healthy to me.

Maybe it would be a good idea to get together with the school and have a "healthy Eating day" where the parents and teachers get together and show the kids what is healthy and waht great snacks you can make using fruit & veg.
    & other helthy foods.

I think that will be much more productive and educational than just arguing with each other......no kid is going to learn anything from that
  • dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I guess I side with the minority.Some of the ingredients in PopTarts are derived from petroleum and have proven to be carcinogenic in nature. The teacher's not specifically saying bring fruit - she's saying bring something healthy. I'm old school, I believe the teacher has every right to stipulate what is and isn't allowed in their classroom - especially if it's in the best interest of the student, which this clearly is. It's this type of attitude that has landed our country's children in the midst of a huge health crisis. Stop being a right fighter and do the right thing for your child.

Here Here.. i couldn't have said it better.

I my eyes it is a teachers job to educate......not just to get good grades but for life...and that means nutrition too.
    I thnik parents & Teachers should communicate better with each other so that the kids benifit from a good and healthy lifestyle
  • cathydubepenner
    cathydubepenner Posts: 159 Member
    Options
This discussion has been closed.