sherryminchagain Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sue - she will be very soon.

Sherry
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello, Gracious Gals....

I am having a moment of panic, here... My left knee has been giving me a little trouble for a long time - it wouldn't straighten out - I can't "lock" it. I know the reason - it's because one leg is shorter than the other from a break I had in 1978. My folks opted not to place a pin at that time to make both legs even - since I was only 13, they thought that I might have some additional leg growth - and they were worried about putting the foreign object into my body. I have no complaints on that score.

I walked for the next 37 years, without any noticeable limp... I subconsciously bent my "long" leg on every step to make my gait even. 37 years without a limp was pretty good, all things considered. In late 2015 I discovered that my leg would no longer straighten or "lock" and I had started to show my limp, a little. There was no real pain involved, and I did mention it to my doc - but, she forgot to give me the referral to the Ortho and I was busy taking care of DH anyway - so, I didn't worry about it at the time. It hasn't stopped me from doing my regular exercise and my elliptical training for the last year... until the last day or two.

Not sure whether it was all the fence work - or whether the joint has just finally worn down to the point where it hurts - but, I actually skipped the gym today, because my knee is behaving so badly. A limp I can deal with. Pain? Not so much.

So, panic has set in - because, I have to get it fixed, now... and I have no money to pay for more medical bills and I have NO ability to eat less food! Which is why I have been such an exercise bunny to begin with. I exercise, so I can eat real food...

I have my annual physical scheduled for Thursday - so, for this week, I am going to skip the gym... and baby my knee and hope that it behaves well enough that I can continue to limp from the car to the office and back and from the car to the house and back every day until I can get the darned thing fixed.

If I can't walk - I am going to have to change my listing to sedentary... I can't pretend otherwise if I can't really move, at all... which means my calorie goal is going to drop... a LOT. *sigh*

I am not loving this. I guess it's time for me to bag up my pound of veggies and whip up the latest batch of cottage cheese ranch - cause it looks like Tacos are off the menu for the next ? who knows how long.

Everybody think good thoughts for them to be able to just slide a little laser in there and blast out whatever the problem is... I REALLY am hoping to avoid the major overhaul to my knee at this particular juncture...

Hugs for Everybody!!

Re in TX
  • sherryminchagain
    sherryminchagain Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Oh Re - I'm so sorry you're having so much pain now. I will think good thoughts for your knee and am sending light and energy your way.

Sherry
  • Charleigh007
    Charleigh007 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had a knew injury a few years ago so I know knee pain but maybe not as bad as yours. How does your knees feel if you ride the stationary bicycle ? Set it to an easy level so you don't out pressure on your bad knee.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Re: Charleigh007 & I have the same idea. You can take the percussion from walking or jogging away from your knee on a stationary bicycle, move smoothly and burn loads of calories. Try it to see if it will work, but start slowly and feel your way through the first few rides so you know how to move with the least discomfort for your knee. (((hugs))) I can't run on a treadmill without pounding so I walk on the treadmill if the stationary bike isn't available. :flowerforyou:
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Thanks, All -

Unfortunately - stationary, the leg is fine. I can stand on it, in it's usual bent state... but MOVING it is when the pain happens. Any motion in the hinge area causes some pain... lots of crunchy sounds and varying degrees of pain.

Generally, the elliptical has proven to be a most excellent form of exercise - as there is no lifting or pounding involved - and last night, I managed to find the "sweet spot" on the elliptical where there was no pain - but, anything resembling walking is definitely an issue - and I don't think the rotation of the elliptical was doing me any favors. I imagine the bike would be the same. I will wait on more exercise until/unless the pain goes away, or the doc tells me it's ok. If the pain is a great deal less, I may try the bike. The idea of NO exercise is somewhat terrifying, after nearly a year of daily movement.

:[

Re in TX
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    (((RE)))
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    RE :/
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Re, I'm So sorry. If sounds like a lot of us are dealing with knee pain. Yours sounds awful.

I've made a very serious decision. I have way too many books, and my math coaching books are interfering with my ability to store my Lay Servant and United Methodist Women books. I've contacted my former supervisor (she was district math coach, I was a school level coach) and I am going to donate my books to the school district where I used to work. I boxed then all up today. Six bankers boxes full! Hundreds of dollars worth of books, but of course nobody is crazy enough to pay money for them but me. I took a tax deduction when I bought them; I'll take another for the donation. I'm good with my decision. It's a turning point in my life that I am able to let go of my math books. I'm not going to lie, though. There will be some grieving when they're gone.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,925 Member
    Options
    :) Pets are home safely. We all napped together after lunch then Sasha and I walked for an hour. Bernie rode on my lap for awhile on the exercise bike.

<3 Barbie in chilly NW WA
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Re - You might try supporting the knee with a brace for less pain. I did that for a while when I was horseback riding and it helped. Eventually did HA injections and then had knee replaced but the brace did its thing for a couple of years.

take care, Sue in WA
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    :|
  • BrendaD00
    BrendaD00 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    IremiaRe wrote: »
    Brendad00 wrote: »
    Trying so hard to get modivated today to get on my treadmill. Any suggestions.

I treat the exercise the way I treat the laundry... something that just has to be done. To get through it, I distract myself by reading a trashy novel on my tablet... Pre-tablet, I used to read and actual book - although it was a bit clumsier.

The idea is, you can generally walk and read at the same time - on a treadmill - and the book takes your mind away from what you are doing.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the great idea. Right now day 6 I'm using dance workout music. Once I get going I'm ok. It's just to get my butt off the sofa that is the problem.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,753 Member
    Options
    Re ... so sorry your knee is giving you grief ... hope there's an easy solution in sight.

DrKatie ... I'm struggling to fully appreciate your loss of math books ... but I DO appreciate you!

Just ate half a package of oreos (tastier than the chia seeds btw but a lot less righteous) ... lots of reasons ... drinking water now.

Beth near Buffalo
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,925 Member
    Options
    :) When I read "Year of No Sugar", I didn't really expect to be as sugar free as the writer. When I read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle", I didn't expect to change my eating to only foods produced locally. What I got out of both books was inspiration and encouragement to set boundaries on my eating and then stick to them even when challenged by others. My boundaries aren't that strict, but once I've set them, it's important to me to be able to tell others, "Thank you for the offer, but that's not my food."

:) About motivation---someone told me to bring the body and the mid will follow. The longest step is the one that gets me out of my chair.

<3 Barbie from chilly NW Washington
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

So enjoying all the pictures and Sherry's and Marni's clever cartoons.

I had a great first of the year meeting at TOPs (weight loss support group for you newbies - stands for Take Off Pounds Sensibly) I am the chapter leader and we had lots of new year business. I shared about some of you here and hope I added inspiration for others at the meeting. I lost 2 pounds so I was happy about that, too.

Then we had a good study group at my home this afternoon. Whole different group of ladies with wide range of differences but we all love to learn! My Shirley cat came to the meeting again. She acts like she is just one of the girls. Really getting friendly with one of the ladies. So glad to see her spread her kitty joy around a bit.

Pip - speaking of cats, I enjoyed seeing yours. Is its name Inky?

Barbie - speaking of cats again, I can just see Bernie on your lap on the bike. Do you think he raised his heart rate a bit, too?

Rori and Charleen - Love seeing your picture. How fun to be able to meet up!

Having a lot of back pain this week. Taken a pain pill each day. Ugg, I don't like the way they make me dingy and sometimes hyper. I may be seeing the chiro earlier than my scheduled appointment. I'm working extra shift tomorrow and will get back to water aerobics on Wednesday. Need to get "richer" and stronger. :smile:

TNToni

• ctleonard9
    ctleonard9 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    well I just lost my prior post :( That was a bummer.

RE: wishing you well in your healing I said a positive affirmation for you.

Jana in VA: I tried every recommendation for my plantar fasciitis relief including painful steroid shots but nothing has helped so I have given up on a cure. I did find a store with good and reasonably comfortable shoes "the Walking Company". A bit pricey but ...

I am weighing in tomorrow but I am not optimistic because I have been weighing myself daily for over a week and I have not lost and ounce. I started back to the gym with weights and cardio. It must be that I am not calculating and recording my daily calorie intake correctly but I have been using the database and reading the container calorie sections. I am feeling a bit discourage but I know I need to keep pressing onward.

I hope all have a good week,

Cat in VA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
    tngram our cats name is bootz. She used to be a therapy cat, I just let the registration expire
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Definitely too cold to go outside. So I made brownies to take to my daughter when we see her in a few weeks. I just put them in the freezer. Then made lemonade cookies for her bf. Then Mary's creamsicle cake for Vince. Guess he'll be the final decision-maker....lol Must have sufficiently warmed up the kitchen because I was getting hot. Helped Vince bring the Christmas boxes out of the back bedroom so he's starting to take things down. Yes, I would like them down earlier, or at least starting to take them down. Update: he said it does taste like a creamsicle!

jaja - I don't mind shoveling snow. I used to do it a lot when we lived in PA. To me, it feels good to get out in the cold, before I know it I'm really warm. I just take my time and don't try to put too much snow on the shovel. I'm a big veggie eater, too. Tonight I'm going to have two servings of this California Medley (broccoli, cauliflower and carrots), a serving of green beans and 1/2 a sweet potato. I don't know how many times Vince has said to me "I think you're becoming vegetarian". I'm not a vegetarian, I'm just not real keen on meat. Oh, I eat it, usually chicken, pork, seafood. Beef is my least favorite. To my knowledge, they didn't cancel church today. Mainly because the pastor just walks over to the church. But I bet there wasn't anyone there! There's no way I would have gone out this morning. I went to church last night. Even then I left early.

Charleen - give Rori my best. It was so much fun when she came here, looking forward to it happening again. Be sure to post pics of you both

Lanette - the time my fingers were cracked and bleeding from the dry air I tried Cornhuskers. Really didn't help. I guess I needed straight glycerine.

Welcome everyone new!

Marni - my daughter is a foster failure, too. A friend of ours fostered a kitten. When they did, the first thing Vince said was "how long do you think it'll be before they adopt it?" And they did.

Tina - we're glad you found this group. Be sure to keep coming back Bookmark this site. congrats to you and your daughter

Even with all the baking I did today, I am finding that less and less I have a desire to taste. I know that I needed to taste the cookie batter to see if I had put enough lemon in it, but I had no desire for any more.

I'm so afraid to use coconut oil. See, Jess is SEVERLY allergic to coconut. I'd never take the chance of even having it in house.

Penny - so glad you made it safely on that road. Hey, I knew what the Iditarod was! Just that I've never partaken. but I knew what it was.

Heather - you are a good friend

Rori - you and Charleen look like you were having such a wonderful time, wish I'd been there.

Belle - great steps

Carleen - isn't Rori a lovely person?

Beth - you are NOT a bad mother. Even when we don't hear from our children, we still worry. I tell my kids all the time "get used to my worry because when I die, I'm coming back from the dead to worry about you".

For the first time in weeks the Wii did a little dance. It does that when I'm no longer overweight (according to Wii standards).

Becca - what a transformation!

Candy - that's what this group is all about...sharing the good times, the bad times, the ups, the downs, everything. Because life does affect how we view food. I'm so sorry you have so many problems, but kudos to you for keeping going and not giving in to the "woe is me" syndrome.

Did an hour of Cathe Friedrich's Power Hour DVD. After my experience with the church not plowing, I decided not to venture out to the gym but do something at home just in case they hadn't plowed. The plan for tomorrow is to do some walking on the stairmaster. Went to bowling today but decided to skip ceramics. Who knows if the parking lot is plowed? Besides, Vince is working on getting the Christmas decorations put away and I don't want to interfer with that....lol

Heather - big big (((hug)))) What a great friend you are

Welcome everyone new!

Loved all the pics. Chris - handsome son you have there

Karen in VA - I used to send my cards out in Jan. You're right...less rushed. Also, the people who receive them can sit back and really read them without being rushed. I wonder if my friend's severe arthritis in L3-5 could also be contributing to her pain? I'm going to ask her hubby if they've ever discussed a TENS unit. Loved you on the "plow". Better than what we have around here, that's for sure

KL - one time I weighed myself after my colonoscopy, I'd only lose 2lbs. To have gone thru all that for 2 measly pounds. I'd never do it

Re - (((HUGS))))

Kate - how wonderful of you to donate your books

Michele in NC