I still vote for more ice cream :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Mid-bulk and I just upped cals again. The higher I increase cals the tougher its getting to eat this much food. I never thought I would ever say that.. hubs is laughing at me all the way to the kitchen cause we never thought I would have this problem..

It really is getting to be an issue, I stabilized in weight for the past 14 days (+/- a couple of ounces) and with the increase its getting worse..

Ladies can anyone give me a pointer or two?

Lately I have had to add a high cal smoothie every other day or everyday if needed (bananas, berries, protein, almond butter, whole milk or yogurt etc). So it will be around 600-800 cals but of course you can modify it so suit your calorie needs.

I add extra nut butters and olive oil to stuff, I also eat a lot of pasta, rice and bagels. I tend to cut down a bit of fiber because it is very filling for me so that helps. Also I am now adding homemade whip cream to everything! YOM!

I am at 30% protein its 166 grams a day.. I am getting about 140 usually and I am stuffed to the gills after eating this much protein.. Do I need this much at 116 pounds?

Ya that is a lot of protein..I would aim for 0.8-1g per lb or even per lb lean body mass which is more than enough. I tend to up my protein when I am cutting A) Because it is more important during a cut vs. bulk and B ) because I find it very filling
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Mid-bulk and I just upped cals again. The higher I increase cals the tougher its getting to eat this much food. I never thought I would ever say that.. hubs is laughing at me all the way to the kitchen cause we never thought I would have this problem..

It really is getting to be an issue, I stabilized in weight for the past 14 days (+/- a couple of ounces) and with the increase its getting worse..

Lately I have had to add a high cal smoothie every other day or everyday if needed (bananas, berries, protein, almond butter, whole milk or yogurt etc). So it will be around 600-800 cals but of course you can modify it so suit your calorie needs.

I add extra nut butters and olive oil to stuff, I also eat a lot of pasta, rice and bagels. I tend to cut down a bit of fiber because it is very filling for me so that helps. Also I am now adding homemade whip cream to everything! YOM!

I am at 30% protein its 166 grams a day.. I am getting about 140 usually and I am stuffed to the gills after eating this much protein.. Do I need this much at 116 pounds?

No. At most you would be fine with 1g per lb. But even that is a bit much for a bulk.

So I can cut back the protein to like 20% and hit about 120 to be fair?

Anywhere between 100 to 120g is more than enough.

OMG this is very good news LOL.. I need to cut the fat free stuff too.. Ok to go higher on my fats or not?

I would cut down on protein, and yes it's fine to increase the fat (I mean, as long as it doesn't crowd out your carbs or make you go over your surplus) Do you find fats particularly filling? For me they are not at all so I keep them high. I could drizzle fresh olive oil all over my veggies adding like 300 cals and not even notice, haha.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator

Ya that is a lot of protein..I would aim for 0.8-1g per lb or even per lb lean body mass which is more than enough. I tend to up my protein when I am cutting A) Because it is more important during a cut vs. bulk and B ) because I find it very filling

No. At most you would be fine with 1g per lb. But even that is a bit much for a bulk.

OMG this is very good news LOL.. I need to cut the fat free stuff too.. Ok to go higher on my fats or not?

I would cut down on protein, and yes it's fine to increase the fat (I mean, as long as it doesn't crowd out your carbs or make you go over your surplus) Do you find fats particularly filling? For me they are not at all so I keep them high. I could drizzle fresh olive oil all over my veggies adding like 300 cals and not even notice, haha.

This is basically me. I am carb cycling and these 3 low carb days are a struggle. Those high carb days are my dream, although, I struggle to get 320g of carbs with 175g of protein.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member

I love ice cream.. all kinds

Does calorie partitioning become an issue I need to pay attention to as I keep gaining? A little worried the macros are going to be off?
  • RoxieDawn
    edited January 2017

I made fireplace smores two nights in a row to meet my cals the past few days! Seriously after all the daily protein, etc.. I felt horribe.
  • psuLemon

Does calorie partitioning become an issue I need to pay attention to as I keep gaining? A little worried the macros are going to be off?

It's not really based on your macro composition or the types of food you eat. It's more directly related to having high body fat increases insulin sensitivity and causes an increase in body fat storage and less muscle developed.
  • psuLemon

I made fireplace smores two nights in a row to meet my cals the past few days! Seriously after all the daily protein, etc.. I felt horribe.

You know if volume is an issue, you can increase calories by drinking some.. chocolate milk makes a pretty good post workout drink. And as already mentioned, more fats can add a crap ton of calories.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    edited January 2017
    Up 3-4 pounds the last 30 days, about 9 pounds since mid Sept. So far so good. Feeling strong as ever.
  • RoxieDawn

It's not really based on your macro composition or the types of food you eat. It's more directly related to having high body fat increases insulin sensitivity and causes an increase in body fat storage and less muscle developed.

So I can eat all the carbs and fats keep my protein at 100-120 and meet that goal and I will be fine for another couple of months? If that so this is awesome.. I really fill up on protein, I felt like I was alien or something..LOL
  • psuLemon

So I can eat all the carbs and fats keep my protein at 100-120 and meet that goal and I will be fine for another couple of months? If that so this is awesome.. I really fill up on protein, I felt like I was alien or something..LOL

Yep. As long as body fat doesn't become excessive.
  • RoxieDawn

I have to be honest, my body is handling things differently this bulk.. I am not getting fat like I did my first two bulks, which were short in duration because of not getting the cals right..
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

I have to be honest, my body is handling things differently this bulk.. I am not getting fat like I did my first two bulks, which were short in duration because of not getting the cals right..

Bulking: you're doing it right.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    bioklutz wrote: »
    leajas1 wrote: »
    I'm just worried I picked the wrong program. I'm also used to lifting twice per week and can't figure how to break down strong curves to two days. I have to use two gyms to get in all the exercises.
    I'm pretty sure my diary is open, I log all my exercises. Feel free to have a look and give advice. Send me a friend request with a message if you like...

Hmm.. ok well I would stick to the gym that has most of what you need. You don't really need machines, you can make substitutions for most of the exercises.. but I would stick to the gym that has the barbell and rack. The machine stuff is more accessory, and if you want you can do a lot of that with bands or bodyweight.

Also what I would do, rather than shorten it to two days, run the three days just twice a week. So let's say your lifting days are Monday and Thursday, you could run A on Monday, B on Thursday then C on Monday again and just keep going like that with maybe a bodyweight/band day in between? The one thing about Strong Curves is it is very adaptable to what equipment you have.

Oh and if you like conventional deadlifts, do those instead. SC isn't really a strength based program so the lifts will be more hypertrophy and focused on glutes.. he introduces all the different types of DLs to give you a feel for different styles so really I don't see the issue with sticking to the one you prefer.

This is a good recommendation. Similarly, if you don't like SC, NROL4W or Thinner, Leaner, Stronger are also good alternatives and incorporate more typical lifts

I have heard great things about this program, I think I am going to buy the book just to have in my arsenal

TLS lays out 3, 4, and 5 day split programs.

Ohh! I will keep this in mind. I have been doing 3 day whole body prorams. I have tried several and like them but I think I might need to swap to a split soon. The whole body routine is starting to be really taxing. I think I have a few more months in me though but I am going to start looking now.

TLS/BLS are fairly basic. Beyond BLS is when they incorporate periodization. So depending on how long you have been lifting, you may have to consider the more advanced option. But if you into KISS, then TLS is a great year long program to start with.

Ahh good to know.

I also think ice cream is the answer @RoxieDawn!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Holy crap- the name change... why?!?!?

WHY LOL
    I think I am hitting that 3 month wall that @JoRocka has been talking about. I am starting to think wtf am I doing to myself. I feel fat. I know logically I am not fat. I know logically that a few more pounds and 7 more weeks won't make me enormous. Emotional I have been a little bit of a wreck. I keep arguing with myself to keep going. I set a goal and I should stick with it. Then I start thinking maybe I am just being stubborn and maybe it really is time to quit bulking - I might regret it if I don't stop.

How long does it take you to get through this @JoRocka? This is my first bulk.

The panic for me was a 2-3 week process- after that in to month four I sort of accepted the fatness.

I still had bad days- but they weren't nearly as crippling. Like- my "bad" weeks - are like ABORT ABORT ABORT ABORT- vs- "man I feel fat- where's my pizza"

Keep going. You got this- push through till at least month 4- usually once you get into month 4 you can make it another couple weeks- this is EXACTLY why I aim for 4-6- at a minimum I can make 4 months- and then usually push into month 5- but I can just push to month 4 I'll feel like I accomplished what I wanted- then feel better into month 4.
    TR0berts wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I've been eating a gifted bag of reese's pieces for the last 3 days. I blame it on bulking. Sorry not even CLOSE to sorry.

It took you 3 days? That's one night.

I ate a whole bag (the big bag) of peanut m&m's on sunday.
    #noshame.
  • RoxieDawn
    leajas1 wrote: »
    I'm just worried I picked the wrong program. I'm also used to lifting twice per week and can't figure how to break down strong curves to two days. I have to use two gyms to get in all the exercises.
    I'm pretty sure my diary is open, I log all my exercises. Feel free to have a look and give advice. Send me a friend request with a message if you like...

Hmm.. ok well I would stick to the gym that has most of what you need. You don't really need machines, you can make substitutions for most of the exercises.. but I would stick to the gym that has the barbell and rack. The machine stuff is more accessory, and if you want you can do a lot of that with bands or bodyweight.

Also what I would do, rather than shorten it to two days, run the three days just twice a week. So let's say your lifting days are Monday and Thursday, you could run A on Monday, B on Thursday then C on Monday again and just keep going like that with maybe a bodyweight/band day in between? The one thing about Strong Curves is it is very adaptable to what equipment you have.

Oh and if you like conventional deadlifts, do those instead. SC isn't really a strength based program so the lifts will be more hypertrophy and focused on glutes.. he introduces all the different types of DLs to give you a feel for different styles so really I don't see the issue with sticking to the one you prefer.

This is a good recommendation. Similarly, if you don't like SC, NROL4W or Thinner, Leaner, Stronger are also good alternatives and incorporate more typical lifts

I have heard great things about this program, I think I am going to buy the book just to have in my arsenal

TLS lays out 3, 4, and 5 day split programs.

Ohh! I will keep this in mind. I have been doing 3 day whole body prorams. I have tried several and like them but I think I might need to swap to a split soon. The whole body routine is starting to be really taxing. I think I have a few more months in me though but I am going to start looking now.

TLS/BLS are fairly basic. Beyond BLS is when they incorporate periodization. So depending on how long you have been lifting, you may have to consider the more advanced option. But if you into KISS, then TLS is a great year long program to start with.

Ahh good to know.

I also think ice cream is the answer @RoxieDawn!

thanks..ice cream and cut the protein.. wayyy to much of that! lol
  • JoRocka
    @RoxieDawn - calories are king in a bulk- you don't get bonus points for perfect macros.

Almost everything is backwards from a cut- where people go protein/fats/carbs.... reality is carbs are the way to go to fill it out.

Generally speaking anything over 100 grams of protein is good for us wee women.
  • RoxieDawn
    @RoxieDawn - calories are king in a bulk- you don't get bonus points for perfect macros.

Almost everything is backwards from a cut- where people go protein/fats/carbs.... reality is carbs are the way to go to fill it out.

thanks.. I am so glad I came here and posted my question. I was a bit miserable to say the least. I felt like a huge Chicken breast walking around so full of myself! lol
  • JoRocka

thanks.. I am so glad I came here and posted my question. I was a bit miserable to say the least. I felt like a huge Chicken breast walking around so full of myself! lol

girl please- my go to is ice cream and full fat milk- I have no shame. You can only eat so much chicken breast and broccoli florets.

Think the exact opposite about dieting- like "avoid empty calories- look for nutritional dense food that is low calorie"

Do the opposite- drink more calories- eat more calorie heavy and not filling foods.

I'm surprised I'm only up to 2200 and already wondering how 600 calories more than my regular meals seems like so much more food.
  • JoRocka
    I'm eating before I leave- after eating today at lunch. My boss is shocked I'm eating again.

I'm totally amused at her shock- I told them I'm bulking- it's just so comical because they hear me- but when they actually see it happen- it's always something like "omg AGAIN"