WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• ctleonard9
    ctleonard9 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am eating better since the weekend when I attend a party Saturday then brunch Sunday at the Cheese Cake Factory. I completely forgot about their great cheese cake desserts until toward the end of the meal my girlfriend said she had a coupon she was not going to use for a slice. After that I couldn't stop thinking about it and finally gave in to my favorate one on the menu. What a bust to have a healthy salad with salmon only to overload the calories with cheese cake. The cardio prior to the brunch did not do a dent in the dessert calories. Now I am here at work think about the candy in the candy jar. Looks like I have to go cold turkey and get this sugar and cravings out of my system. Best, cat
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday!

It's been raining and raining and raining here, for a couple of days now. I finally got around to breaking the Christmas turkey carcass out of the freezer and making a pot of gumbo last night - the weather was perfect for it.

Karen - Sorry your husband didn't get the job. Job hunting is so demoralizing... I hope he finds something soon! I've been where you are, trying to keep things together while your partner looks for a job, and it's no fun.

DJ - I need you to come to my house and help me get rid of stuff! Sounds like you're doing a great job of helping your friend.

Re - How exciting to have your goal in sight! Great work!

Gloria - I'm happy to hear that the drone was rescued. Good call on keeping it indoors until he learns to control it better!

Allie - So sorry if it felt like "harping." Just remember, using a lawyer doesn't have to mean an ugly divorce - it just means you have a knowledgeable advocate to help you navigate rough waters.

Lois - You and I are taking the same approach to weight loss. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't succeed if someone said I had to avoid ice cream or wine or other goodies for life, so I just fit my intake into my calorie goals for the day and eat what I want.

A couple of months ago I bought one of those over-the-counter IcyHot TENS units to use on my knee. It really does seem to help! I'm going to attempt a mile and a half march this Saturday, though, and I'm betting I'll need it afterwards. I think I'll take the cane, just in case.

I think today will be a Nordic Track day, since I don't feel like sitting on the bike. I miss real cross-country skiing SO profoundly! In twelve years of living in the mountains, I never did get tired of snow in the winter - if I could only take all my people with me, I'd pick that climate over Texas heat any day.

Y'all have a great day!

-Yvonne in TX
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    DH was clearing the garden today and called me to see 2 robins obviously looking for a nest site. We live in a suburban neighbourhood with a small garden and sadly only usually see blackbirds, pigeons and an occasional sparrow. We were both thrilled couldn't get near enough to get photo for fear of scaring them off. Maybe they'll come back :):)

Kate UK
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Heartburn! I never get heartburn and I have been getting it this week. I am off my normal foods. Eating more dairy and salty foods. Could that be the culprit? Anyone have any experience with this?
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Heartburn! I never get heartburn and I have been getting it this week. I am off my normal foods. Eating more dairy and salty foods. Could that be the culprit? Anyone have any experience with this?

1 tablespoon of Raw apple cider vinegar in 4 ounces of water will help with that.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Gloria, I will have to look up exactly what a TENS unit it. But it send these electrical stimulations to your spine to stimulate healing. Doctors can surgically implant them, physical therapists can use them and now you can buy a cheap one. I assume the one you can buy isn't as strong. It's this bow tie looking thing that you put on your spine. It has gel pads that the electrical stimulus goes through and a remote control. You can control how strong the stimulus is. I figure the stronger the better.

My husband got a space bot for Christmas. You just turn him on, after charging him up, and let him go. If you can keep a hand right under neath but no touching, you can control where he goes. If not, he goes right up to the ceiling or can just go wild. I'm surprised the cat hasn't flipped out with it but she just sits and doesn't even watch it. Michelle bought it for her Dad for Christmas, bout one for her brother in law also.

These exercises are making sleep pretty difficult. I used to be able to sleep pretty good. Now I am in more pain when I move and when I get up. Monday was an evaluation, first actual session is this afternoon. I'm curious to see how different it is.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Re: I love your attitude and your new plan. As to the progress of weight loss, mine was certainly not consistent. There were little drops followed by plateaus. Lots of plateaus. :ohwell: I also think you've given Allie great advice. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: Our former neighbor was a volunteer at an animal shelter in her previous hometown. She ended up bringing home two dogs from the animal shelter over a period of time. The first is a terrier mix and healthy. The second was rescued from life as a puppy mill mama when it was discovered what horrid conditions were there and taken to the humane society. She has lots of health issues and requires frequent vet trips. Luckily they can afford it. I'm sure you will eventually find the dog that needs your family & hope it will turn out to be a healthy one that loves to go for long walks. :star:

Michele: Thanks for your good wishes. So far the river in front of our house is well within its banks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way. :smiley:

Maritill: Welcome to a great group. Stop in often and get to know people. :flowerforyou:

Gloria: Great progress with your weight loss!!! WTG! I'm happy that your grandson got his drone back. Good neighbors can't be over appreciated. :flowerforyou:

Sharon in Lethbridge: Our snow is melting, too. Yay!!! I can only hope that you will eventually get used to your friend's new partner. I tend to make excuses for people, so I'm hoping that her oneupsmanship is a bid to try and fit in. (Claiming similar experiences to have something in common.) :ohwell:

Heather: I hope today goes well and your DH has a better attitude today. :flowerforyou:

DH heard from his sister yesterday and they have had serious weather related issues. They had to hire a crew to shovel two tons of snow off of their roof. Yikes! I'm glad they were able to find someone to do it. DSIL is in her 70's and her DH is past 90. Both are used to hard work, but neither of them could safely take that task on. We hope they will travel to our side of the mountains so he can watch the Super Bowl with his son-in-law and squeeze in a visit with us. At the moment, that would not be possible. I'm hopeful that travel conditions will be much improved by February.

No yoga for me today. I could have gone but it was just too wet, cold and messy for me to be motivated to leave the house. I'll ride my trike in the garage instead.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,696 Member
    Options
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    Raining and flooding in Houston..... again.

Marcelyn
    wet and almost underwater

Oh no, so sorry. Stay safe and dry. (((hugs)))

Janetr okc
  • lacruiser2016
    lacruiser2016 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Penny, thx for the link--love finding out about different foods. I grew up in a fairly rural area of north Louisiana, so turnips and turnip greens were frequently on the table--still love them. My grandmother would cook rutabagas to mush (the custom for veggies back then), and I just never warmed up to them.

Nancy D
  • janetr7476
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Gloria wrote - "Janetr – how are your siblings doing? (((hugs)))"

My sister that has had pancreatic cancer and blood work showed cancer has returned had a CAT scan and they could not detect a tumor at this point, they will do another one in two months. My brother in law started out with leukemia 8 years ago now, then progressed to lymphoma, etc. He had a stem cell transplant almost three years ago and has not been well at all since then. While he was in the hospital last time when I mentioned him, they discovered there are a couple of blocked arteries in his heart (he already has a pace maker they put in a year ago) but the doctor decided he was in too poor of health to insert stents so sent him home. He's very thin and weak but hanging in there. Thanks for asking.

You're an awesome lady and I'm very proud of you. Taking on the raising of your two grandsons, going back to work full time and losing weight during all of that, pleased to be your friend. <3

Janetr okc
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Terrible sinus headaches for the past two days. I think it is the funky weather we are having in GA.

Carol

So sorry Carol, I know that's miserable. Hope it goes on its way soon. (((Hugs)))

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Penny - you teach us something new with each post, I love it. Thanks for enlightening us. :)

Lois Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. You are an inspiration for us all.

Janetr okc
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    B)
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 85
    BP-1X5X 45/55/65, 5X 5X70
    BR-1X5 80, 5X 5X85

For now this is all I am going to do for today. Unless I feel a lot better later tonight. I still have the respiratory flu.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon My Dear Friends,

Cheri, I hope you had a Happy, Happy Birthday. I’m late only because I’m a day behind on reading posts. LOL

Meredith, congrats on the loss. Great job! You can actually stay on 1200 calories a day longer than you think but will need to change up your diet and find new ways to get those calories or you’ll get too tired of it. Good luck.

Heather, glad the trip to the airport went well and I’m sending strong vibes for the whole trip to be wonderful and easy. I always have to giggle a bit at how you and your DH stress before travel and yet you do it so much. I’d think you are old hands at it and yet we all have our little stressors. Looking forward to hearing all about the trip. (((Hugs)))

Joyce, as I read your post about getting estimates all I saw was dollar signs. Isn’t it amazing how much things can add up to? Good luck on finding the right contractors, materials and prices. We have never lived in a house older than 12 years thus have never had to do lots of major repairs. Over the years we have had siding put on over Masonite and replaced a couple of air conditioning units but that is about it. Our new house that we had built when we moved to the beach is going to be 10 years old this summer and looks like we will be here until one of us can’t get up and down the stairs, so I’m guessing repairs are in our future. I just hope you and Charlie have no health problems to slow you down this time. (((Hugs))) Oh yes, you should show all the new ladies the before and after pictures of the tree removal. That was unreal the difference it made.

Mia, good for you on getting rid of 4 of your holiday pounds. Wish I could say the same but I’m working on it.

Sarah, way to go on the tread mill. Don’t ya just feel great after a good workout? treadmill-smiley-emoticon.gif

Leigh, welcome. Yes this is a wonderful group of “mature” ladies with wonderful support and information. Please tell us a bit about yourself to help us get to know you. It’s also appreciated if you sign each post with your name and a location, general or specific.

Lois, that is fantastic that you have had such success with your weight. It also sounds like it’s something you can maintain. Way to go.

Cat, I’m glad we don’t have a Cheesecake Factory here. I didn’t go often when I lived in Charlotte but OMG aren’t they good!!!! eating-pie.gif

Yvonne, I do think I’ve done a good job for my friend, getting things packed and selling off much of the rest, but ya know what? I’m over it. It has been a job. My DH and I went this morning and packed up two SUVs full of left-over “stuff” that I will try to sell for her when we have our neighborhood garage sale in the spring. Now if I never see her house again it will be fine. Lol Now calling a church that will come get the rest.

Joyce, sorry you are in such pain and not sleeping well. Boo hiss Does the space bot do anything other than go all over the place? All I can picture in my mind is the floor cleaning bot. lol

Nancy, where did you grow up? My DH is from West Monroe and still has family there. And no, they don’t know Phil Robertson or the other Duck Dynasty guys. Lol

Janetr, so sorry to hear about your siblings. Cancer is such a terrible and scary disease.

Mary, sending healing thoughts your way. Please get well soon!!! ((((Hugs))))

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.
    I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 85
    BP-1X5X 45/55/65, 5X 5X70
    BR-1X5 80, 5X 5X85

For now this is all I am going to do for today. Unless I feel a lot better later tonight. I still have the respiratory flu.

<3

Mary from Minnesota

Sending hugs and praying you will feel much better soon. Its horrible to feel so badly. Very few of us would be moving at all let alone doing all you did today. You are our hero :)

Janetr OKC