crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kendahlj wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Thank you for some insightful tips and the website I will look at that Jeanieneni. This is the diet my doctor put me on.
    The paper he gave me states
    1. If it tastes sweet it has sugar examples.... orange juice, fruits , all diet sodas and crystal light. No Splenda, equal or sugar twins.
    2. If food is off white or white in color it's most likely starch ( few exceptions). Example no bread, pizza, cake, pies, pastas, rice and potatoes.

Rule of thumb white or sweet you can not have it

Meat- all I want: beef, pork, poultry, seafood, rabbit as much as I want.

Veggies- you can eat all the fresh or frozen veggies excluding corn, beans, and peas. Green beans are ok

Garden salads- as much as I like. Dressing only oil and vinegar, Italian and Caesar.

Eggs- you can eat all the eggs, bacon and sausage you like

Last but not least lots of water at least half a gallon a day which is easy for me I love water.

Please don't judge what my doctor put me on. Some of you had some lovely comments. This is not an insane diet it is just what my doctor put me on. All I asked for was for help from those who were on a similar diet. Maybe I should have written the whole chart like this from the beginning. I do not have sugar issues This is what he said would help me loose the best and I just said I would try it. I'm 2 weeks in and have lost 5.4lbs without being 100% on this diet and lost an inch in the waist and an inch in the hips.

I think this sounds great! Ignore the naysayers. If you stick to this, you'll lose weight and feel great. Good luck!!

Goodness knows it's important to get those pesky lentils and fruit out of everyone's diet. They are such a scourge!

Why are you projecting false information? Nothing in her post said she couldn't eat lentils. In fact, she said she could eat beans (lumping them with vegetables).

You misread it. It said she CANNOT eat beans (assuming she might consider them vegetables, I guess, so explaining those were not okay). Yes, I'm assuming beans include lentils.
    I don't necessarily think you need to cut out fruit, but if you're trying to lose weight you can safely eliminate it from your diet and introduce it slowly later if you want. You can get the vitamins and nutrients you get from fruit elsewhere.

You can safely do lots of things that aren't necessarily advisable to do. My problem with the plan (which I think is rather insulting in that it gives a list of rules with no good reason for them) is not that I think it's unsafe. It's that I think it doesn't take into consideration what would be sustainable for OP, give her tools to make a diet that works with what is sustainable and her own preferences, and that a diet that seems based on the idea that carbs are (mostly) bad and unlimited meat (including sausage and bacon) isn't truly health-conscious at all. And cutting out reasonably nutritious whole foods (I'd include grains and tubers here, as well as fruit) is not a good starting plan absent the context of a decision to go low carb and a carb goal to aim at, IMO.

Cutting out legumes (one of the best, if not the best, non animal sources of protein) I think is particular irresponsible without those things.

Could one ultimately decide that a similar diet is the best one for them personally, with an understanding of the reasons and why they are making certain trade-offs? Sure, although I certainly don't think that makes it a good choice for everyone needing to lose weight.

Telling OP this is simply THE way to lose weight and will result in spot reduction and that the sugar in bacon is "natural" and that there is sugar in diet drinks isn't accurate information. (There may be reasons to say you think sugar in bacon is fine and artificial sweetener should be avoided, but giving false information always raises my hackles. I honestly don't understand why you would even consider defending it.)

Yes, I did read it wrong. I thought she could eat those things (corn, beans, peas).

I understand what you're saying. I don't know the particulars, but the OP went to the doctor for something. Perhaps obesity, or some other health problem where obesity is contributing factor. Her weight was a concern enough that the doctor gave her something that would help her lose weight, thus improving her health overall. He There's probably more to it than that, but that's the gist. Probably didn't say "this is THE only way." We can't judge what's sustainable for her long term, but in the short term if she sticks to his recommendations, she'll lose weight and feel better. Then maybe she wants to see someone specialized (like a registered dietitian) who can help her fine tune the rough suggestions her doctor gave her.

I just don't think it's very helpful for a bunch of us here, instead of providing what she really asked for which was some recipes or encouragement from others who were eating similarly, to jump on her and tell her that her doctor is an idiot giving her a bunch of false information and that she's better off ignoring him and listening to all of us here who know better.

I also agree with the poster above that exercise hasn't really been discussed much. I think it's way more irresponsible to not prescribe getting more exercise if you're trying to help a patient lose weight to improve health. My personal opinion is that no diet will succeed without an element of exercise and if you're losing weight to get healthy (and not just look better), exercise should be a priority.

But exercise plays a very small part of weight loss. It gives you a few more calories to eat, but often time makes people hungrier so they end up eating more calories than if they had just not exercised in the first place. People are notorious for overestimating their exercise burns as well, which messes up their deficits. You see this all the time on the forum.

Back when I was overweight and a newly diagnosed prediabetic I was feeling very overwhelmed. My doctor told me to focus on one thing, losing weight, in hopes that this would lower my glucose number. So I only focused on my calorie intake and started eating at a calorie deficit. Proceeded to lose around 50lbs and improved all my health markers, including normalizing my glucose number. Now several years into maintenance I'm more active in my daily activities but I still don't set aside time to exercise. I've continued to be in excellent health, still have great blood work (glucose numbers in the 80s and 90s) and I've been maintaining a bmi of around 21.

Not saying OP shouldn't try and be more active, or include an exercise routine if she wants to, but if she's overweight just losing the extra poundage may really improve her health.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Jackie1002 wrote: »
    Have you heard of the Trim Healthy Mama eating plan? Research this! It is amazing!
    You eat healthy fats, healthy carbs, but you eat them separately. Also use stevia in place of sugar. I have lost 40# on it so far, and have 30# left to go. Check it out! It really works!! My husband is a diabetic and he has lost weight as well, and his blood sugars have levelled out, and we both have more energy and feel great!
    The first fat to you lose is belly fat!! Once you change how you eat with this plan, you lose the "wheat" belly. Check it out!

No, not it's not amazing. Do not eat carbs and fats together...what a crock of poo. Sorry, but there is nothing wrong with eating fats and carbs together. Eating a combination of these does not cause fat gain. Excess calories cause fat gain.

And "wheat belly"? You shouldn't diagnose yourself.

I have a 25 inch waist and eat wheat, rice, oats etc every day. I've read Davis' book and yeah, it's good for a laugh :p
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I do agree if things don't work out than I switch up my plan. The ultimate goal is to get healthy and loose weight. So my doctor gave me something to work at. Right or wrong what he told me I am here to get more help as I felt a bit lost. I don't see the problem with that. That being said I joined a low carb group ( just waiting for the approval) once I'm in I'll probably learn a lot more about this diet. I still thank all of you for your help and guidance. Again I'm here to learn that's why I asked. Please continue

OP: Please take a look at the information on Whole30.com. I found it to be a good template for exactly the kind of reset your doctor is trying to give you.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jmp463 wrote: »
    I say go for it. I did that in Oct - I have lost a bunch of weight - I never feel hungry and I feel great. Not to mention I have eaten more vegetables than I ever have. No lack of energy - no headaches - no bloat - no upset stomachs - I just feel good. If you can handle it great - if you cant go back to counting calories - either way you win. Everything will work - you just have to find what is best for you.

You still have to count calories NO MATTER HOW/WHAT YOU EAT.

To lose weight, you are required to be in a calorie deficit. But people can create eating plans that are more likely to put them into a deficit and lose weight that way -- that's why various diets that eliminate or limit certain foods actually work.

To me personally, it's not as satisfactory as counting calories and just eating what I'd like, but some people prefer more structure. You'll also find yourself reliant on monitoring your results to see if it is working for you because you might not be in a deficit even if you're following one of these plans, depending on how much you decide to eat.

So I consider calorie counting to be easier (at least for me and a lot of other people) and more consistently reliable, but it isn't the only way. Everything that results in a calorie deficit will work, even if it doesn't involve actually counting calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jmp463 wrote: »
    I say go for it. I did that in Oct - I have lost a bunch of weight - I never feel hungry and I feel great. Not to mention I have eaten more vegetables than I ever have. No lack of energy - no headaches - no bloat - no upset stomachs - I just feel good. If you can handle it great - if you cant go back to counting calories - either way you win. Everything will work - you just have to find what is best for you.

You still have to count calories NO MATTER HOW/WHAT YOU EAT.

To lose weight, you are required to be in a calorie deficit. But people can create eating plans that are more likely to put them into a deficit and lose weight that way -- that's why various diets that eliminate or limit certain foods actually work.

To me personally, it's not as satisfactory as counting calories and just eating what I'd like, but some people prefer more structure. You'll also find yourself reliant on monitoring your results to see if it is working for you because you might not be in a deficit even if you're following one of these plans, depending on how much you decide to eat.

So I consider calorie counting to be easier (at least for me and a lot of other people) and more consistently reliable, but it isn't the only way. Everything that results in a calorie deficit will work, even if it doesn't involve actually counting calories.

That's what I meant. I think the person I quoted doesn't realize someone needs to be in a deficit. Thanks for making more sense than me :)

I was thinking that was what you meant, I just wanted to make sure. :)
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I questioned my doctor about the bacon because he said no fried food and I also know it's fat is high.

Pigs do not contain sugar.

But the babies are so sweet!

Lm5JL.gif

If I had to choose between giving up bacon forever and killing that poor sweet little adorable piggy myself.......hand me the knife, I'm hungry.

Bacon doesn't come from these pigs, that is a potbelly pig and they (as far as I know) are pet pigs and not butchering pigs

Bacon most certainly DOES come from these pigs, whether over the centuries they have been bred and raised by impoverished Vietnamese families, or today in the US when idiots buy them as "teacup pigs" and then go crying for "a free good home on a farm" when they naturally reach their slaughter weight of hundreds of pounds.

tr6r4kxsblma.jpg
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Thank you for some insightful tips and the website I will look at that Jeanieneni. This is the diet my doctor put me on.
    1. If it tastes sweet it has sugar examples.... orange juice, fruits , all diet sodas and crystal light. No Splenda, equal or sugar twins.
    2. If food is off white or white in color it's most likely starch ( few exceptions). Example no bread, pizza, cake, pies, pastas, rice and potatoes.

Veggies- you can eat all the fresh or frozen veggies excluding corn, beans, and peas. Green beans are ok

Garden salads- as much as I like. Dressing only oil and vinegar, Italian and Caesar.

Last but not least lots of water at least half a gallon a day which is easy for me I love water.

Please don't judge what my doctor put me on. Some of you had some lovely comments. This is not an insane diet it is just what my doctor put me on. All I asked for was for help from those who were on a similar diet. Maybe I should have written the whole chart like this from the beginning. I do not have sugar issues This is what he said would help me loose the best and I just said I would try it. I'm 2 weeks in and have lost 5.4lbs without being 100% on this diet and lost an inch in the waist and an inch in the hips.

I think this sounds great! Ignore the naysayers. If you stick to this, you'll lose weight and feel great. Good luck!!

Goodness knows it's important to get those pesky lentils and fruit out of everyone's diet. They are such a scourge!

Why are you projecting false information? Nothing in her post said she couldn't eat lentils. In fact, she said she could eat beans (lumping them with vegetables).

You misread it. It said she CANNOT eat beans (assuming she might consider them vegetables, I guess, so explaining those were not okay). Yes, I'm assuming beans include lentils.
    I don't necessarily think you need to cut out fruit, but if you're trying to lose weight you can safely eliminate it from your diet and introduce it slowly later if you want. You can get the vitamins and nutrients you get from fruit elsewhere.

You can safely do lots of things that aren't necessarily advisable to do. My problem with the plan (which I think is rather insulting in that it gives a list of rules with no good reason for them) is not that I think it's unsafe. It's that I think it doesn't take into consideration what would be sustainable for OP, give her tools to make a diet that works with what is sustainable and her own preferences, and that a diet that seems based on the idea that carbs are (mostly) bad and unlimited meat (including sausage and bacon) isn't truly health-conscious at all. And cutting out reasonably nutritious whole foods (I'd include grains and tubers here, as well as fruit) is not a good starting plan absent the context of a decision to go low carb and a carb goal to aim at, IMO.

Cutting out legumes (one of the best, if not the best, non animal sources of protein) I think is particular irresponsible without those things.

Could one ultimately decide that a similar diet is the best one for them personally, with an understanding of the reasons and why they are making certain trade-offs? Sure, although I certainly don't think that makes it a good choice for everyone needing to lose weight.

Telling OP this is simply THE way to lose weight and will result in spot reduction and that the sugar in bacon is "natural" and that there is sugar in diet drinks isn't accurate information. (There may be reasons to say you think sugar in bacon is fine and artificial sweetener should be avoided, but giving false information always raises my hackles. I honestly don't understand why you would even consider defending it.)

Yes, I did read it wrong. I thought she could eat those things (corn, beans, peas).

I understand what you're saying. I don't know the particulars, but the OP went to the doctor for something. Perhaps obesity, or some other health problem where obesity is contributing factor. Her weight was a concern enough that the doctor gave her something that would help her lose weight, thus improving her health overall. He There's probably more to it than that, but that's the gist. Probably didn't say "this is THE only way." We can't judge what's sustainable for her long term, but in the short term if she sticks to his recommendations, she'll lose weight and feel better. Then maybe she wants to see someone specialized (like a registered dietitian) who can help her fine tune the rough suggestions her doctor gave her.

I just don't think it's very helpful for a bunch of us here, instead of providing what she really asked for which was some recipes or encouragement from others who were eating similarly, to jump on her and tell her that her doctor is an idiot giving her a bunch of false information and that she's better off ignoring him and listening to all of us here who know better.

I also agree with the poster above that exercise hasn't really been discussed much. I think it's way more irresponsible to not prescribe getting more exercise if you're trying to help a patient lose weight to improve health. My personal opinion is that no diet will succeed without an element of exercise and if you're losing weight to get healthy (and not just look better), exercise should be a priority.

But exercise plays a very small part of weight loss. It gives you a few more calories to eat, but often time makes people hungrier so they end up eating more calories than if they had just not exercised in the first place. People are notorious for overestimating their exercise burns as well, which messes up their deficits. You see this all the time on the forum.

Back when I was overweight and a newly diagnosed prediabetic I was feeling very overwhelmed. My doctor told me to focus on one thing, losing weight, in hopes that this would lower my glucose number. So I only focused on my calorie intake and started eating at a calorie deficit. Proceeded to lose around 50lbs and improved all my health markers, including normalizing my glucose number. Now several years into maintenance I'm more active in my daily activities but I still don't set aside time to exercise. I've continued to be in excellent health, still have great blood work (glucose numbers in the 80s and 90s) and I've been maintaining a bmi of around 21.

Not saying OP shouldn't try and be more active, or include an exercise routine if she wants to, but if she's overweight just losing the extra poundage may really improve her health.

Exercise may play a small part of weight loss but I think it plays an important part of overall health. If she's trying to lose weight to improve health, then surely it will help, but exercise will too and should be a part of her plan. Or at least a doctor recommending a diet should at least suggest it...which was my point.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Well for those who are talking about exercise I would like to point out I'm walking for exercise. Just started a couple days ago (as my knee has been swelling everyday I'm taking it slow). I walk about 2 miles at a brisk pace. I am also doing sit ups, push ups, squats and planking this week. That is the challenge I started with my friends on Monday on MFP. I do know exercise is part of it. This is not my first diet. I have done the calorie counting as well. I started on this site in 2011 and after loosing 60lbs I left the site. 4 years later I'm back to loose a little bit of weight again as I added some on. Thank you for some of the recipes I've seen on here I'm sure going to try some. Again for that pig stuff I'm laughing so hard about that! Thanks for the humor I love it!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    scibba wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »

For the person who said "This site is based on calorie reduction...with guidelines on nutritional macros (fiber, sodium, protein, etc.) to aim for...and promoting it in a SUSTAINABLE way." THAT Is a crazy diet.

calorie reduction is impossible to sustain. If it wasn't - jenny craig, weight watchers and all of those other 'calorie counting' diets would not be making money and getting repeat clients. Why? We all know, once you go back to eating all those calories, you gain the weight back.

I just wanted to address the last two paragraphs. I'm curious how you perceive eating a balanced diet with a variety of foods in a calorie deficit and the recommendation to eat in a way that is sustainable as a crazy diet? Yet cutting out entire food groups to help achieve that calorie deficit is not?

Also, to the final paragraph: A calorie deficit is not something that is meant to be sustained forever. What is advocated for on this site is to eat at an appropriate calorie deficit based on your goals (how much to lose and a reasonable rate of loss). As a user gets closer to goal, the deficit is reduced and weight loss is slowed to 0.5 lb/week in order to help ease the transition into maintenance at an appropriate calorie level for the new weight.

Of course if you go back to eating the same number of calories as before, i.e. an energy surplus, you would gain the weight back. That also goes for people who cut out foods in order to lose weight, if they go back to eating the same as before in a calorie surplus, they too would gain the weight back. Certainly there are a lot of people who are successful at losing but not at maintaining - but in my opinion, the more dramatic the approach during weight loss, the lower the chances for long term success. For me, something that involves the word NO anything would be extreme and less likely to be sustainable even during the weight loss process. NSNG would be something that I think is way more restrictive than what the majority of people need to undertake in order to be successful.

what 'entire food group' exactly did I cut out?

Well I'm torn, either the No Sugar or the No Grains that you mentioned in the part of the post that I didn't snip...
    have you heard of the NSNG way of eating (No Sugar No Grain) - it's not a 'low carb' diet - you basically don't eat sugars or grains (wheat, rice, pasta, flour, oats - etc). Research grains and sugar and what they do to the body. It's not the food that makes us fat, it's hormones that are disrupted by the FOODs that we eat!

Fat is NOT the enemy - healthy fats (NOT CRAPPY FATS like vegetable oil, corn oil, partially hydrogenated oils -etc) are actually good for you. Avacados, heavy whipping cream, butter, bacon, beef, chicken thighs, olives- all good for you.

NSNG is not a low carb diet, but from eating the right foods, carbs are automatically lowered. If you want more info, message me and I'll send you a link

For the person who said "This site is based on calorie reduction...with guidelines on nutritional macros (fiber, sodium, protein, etc.) to aim for...and promoting it in a SUSTAINABLE way." THAT Is a crazy diet.

calorie reduction is impossible to sustain. If it wasn't - jenny craig, weight watchers and all of those other 'calorie counting' diets would not be making money and getting repeat clients. Why? We all know, once you go back to eating all those calories, you gain the weight back.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I missed this before.

Boy I wish doctors had a different set of ongoing education units. I say this as someone who.... 90% or more of the time for the last 15 YEARS:

- has tried to eat MOSTLY PLANTS
    -hasn't eat things with more than 3 grams of added sugar per item
    -has aimed for a lower glycemic load approach to eating
    -has LIMITED refined carbs
    -is probably lower carb than many on here
    -has incorporated lots of healthy fats
    - doesn't dislike low carb diets that incorporate vegetables (most especially for folks new to low carbing)
    -believes that my own success these last FIFTEEN years is in part due to knowing what encourages me to over eat, much of that, related to the above.

I still think these are RECKLESS first timer guidelines.

But that's just me.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have been in many restrictive diets from my doctor..7 different ones in one year. The key to eating like he wants you to eat is moderation. I have found whole30 works well..for a lifestyle eating some low glycemic fruits are healthy. It's potatos and sugar filled products that you often avoid. If you are doing it for medical reasons, like with my Liver disease and MTHFR, I am restricted to meat, veges, fruit, and healthy fats..no starchy food, corn, high folic acid foods, and grains, dairy, and gluten. Then stick with what your doctor suggests. If it is only for weightloss, my suggestion is to eat a max of 2 fruits a day, avoid starches, and whatever else your doctor has suggested.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    As far as diet soda..there is a sweetener in it and although many will say it doesn't have sugar, the sweetener does effect your body.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    As far as diet soda..there is a sweetener in it and although many will say it doesn't have sugar, the sweetener does effect your body.

How so?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    Well for those who are talking about exercise I would like to point out I'm walking for exercise. Just started a couple days ago (as my knee has been swelling everyday I'm taking it slow). I walk about 2 miles at a brisk pace. I am also doing sit ups, push ups, squats and planking this week. That is the challenge I started with my friends on Monday on MFP. I do know exercise is part of it. This is not my first diet. I have done the calorie counting as well. I started on this site in 2011 and after loosing 60lbs I left the site. 4 years later I'm back to loose a little bit of weight again as I added some on. Thank you for some of the recipes I've seen on here I'm sure going to try some. Again for that pig stuff I'm laughing so hard about that! Thanks for the humor I love it!

It may not work for you as it does for me, but I've found it helpful to ice my knee for a few minutes after concerted exercise (like that brisk walk).

There's no substitute for diagnosis if you have a knee problem, so I would not (did not) skip the medical diagnosis step, but icing has helped me reduce discomfort along the way. The big drugstores have nice re-usable gel packs (some with a Velcro strap to hold them in place) that are handy for this - they're moldable when frozen, unlike frozen water).

Apologies for the digression!
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Yes the knee was looked at. It doesn't hurt and he told me to ice it. Took an x-ray and don't see anything wrong there. It just swells everyday after work or exercise. I bought shoe inserts hoping that would help. But nothing so far so I just take it easy on it. At least I can walk
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Yes the knee was looked at. It doesn't hurt and he told me to ice it. Took an x-ray and don't see anything wrong there. It just swells everyday after work or exercise. I bought shoe inserts hoping that would help. But nothing so far so I just take it easy on it. At least I can walk

While I am a big believer in exercise for health and especially mental health, as someone with bad knees myself, I am concerned about yours. Until it stops swelling, perhaps slow down the walks and stop with the squats.

What kind of shoes are you wearing to walk and for everyday?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

While I am a big believer in exercise for health and especially mental health, as someone with bad knees myself, I am concerned about yours. Until it stops swelling, perhaps slow down the walks and stop with the squats.

What kind of shoes are you wearing to walk and for everyday?

And how is your form with squats?

• DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Doctors have MINIMAL training in nutrition. In 8 years of study, they get about 20 hours on nutrition. That's not a lot of time. That's like 20 days of study for an hour a day. If you want EXPERT advice on a diet for you, go to a REGISTERED DIETICIAN who have 4 years of study on it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This^^^ 100% all the way. I know a med student studying to be a GP, they have a few years to go and get in the top 1% with their grades yet i would never trust them with nutritional advice. They went on the insane Lemon, honey water, pepper detox.. they also tried to go vegan for weight loss as well as "Purged"(Puked) When they ate sweets.. But yes... a med student doing a "detox" I asked them what happened to their Liver and Kidneys... They rolled their eyes. XD I spent a good few weeks laughing at them. There's a reason we see specialists... GPs aren't going to know everything just because they're an MD...

My GP also put me on YAZ when I have Leiden Factor V. He didn't even know what that was XD.. *extreme facepalm* Good thing i didn't get a bloodclot before I found a GP who quickly demanded I go off them. When in doubt, talk to a specialist in that field.