No sugars and no carbs

Options

Replies

• Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001 Thanks so much! Don't want to hijack any more than I have but appreciate your input here :smile:

OP, I hope you realize that many of these critiques and questions aren't meant to belittle you but are coming from a group of people who truly want you to be successful. At least that goes for me.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I'm looking for some friends that would be on a diet like this so I can get recipes ideas. I'm having a hard time finding things I can eat easily during the day. I can not have any sugar not even diet pop or crystal light products. Hoping someone else is on this crazy diet.

Join the Low Carber Daily MFP group. There are a wide range of diets in there from vegan to almost exclusively carnivorous, and 150 g of of carbs per day to almost none. Lots of success stories with people who have been low carb for years and kept of the weight without much issue.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Good luck.
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Are you going to do this forever? Because if not, once you add sugar or any type back to your diet, your glycogen reduced cells will replenish and weight could easily go up 5-10lbs. Glycogen is stored from the break down of any sugars and is NEEDED for physical activity.

I think you must have mistyped some of this. It isn't true. Adding sugar of any type back into your diet does not result in a glycogen regain of 5-10lbs. Low carb athletes replace glycogen storage just fine. The Faster study looked into it and found no real difference. At all.

Now if you'd typed a pound or so of water will be regained, I would agree completely. :)

This purely anecdoctal, but I usually gain 7-10 lbs after a couple very carb heavy days. I know that it comes off in a few days back on a deficit. I've done this a dozen times over the course of my journey, because, ya know bagels and such.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    @shinycrazy --here too! I had Japanese this weekend and did gain water weight because of increased carb intake. It shed after 2-3 days.
  • cece1012003
    cece1012003 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    scibba wrote: »
    have you heard of the NSNG way of eating (No Sugar No Grain) - it's not a 'low carb' diet - you basically don't eat sugars or grains (wheat, rice, pasta, flour, oats - etc).

I also see no reason why the solution to eating excessive added sugar is eating none.

It's actually simple if you are addicted to sugar. Being addicted, you cannot eat "just a little bit" because it either turns into " a whole-hella-lot" or torture craving more sugar while not eating it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    shinycrazy wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I'm looking for some friends that would be on a diet like this so I can get recipes ideas. I'm having a hard time finding things I can eat easily during the day. I can not have any sugar not even diet pop or crystal light products. Hoping someone else is on this crazy diet.

Join the Low Carber Daily MFP group. There are a wide range of diets in there from vegan to almost exclusively carnivorous, and 150 g of of carbs per day to almost none. Lots of success stories with people who have been low carb for years and kept of the weight without much issue.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Good luck.
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Are you going to do this forever? Because if not, once you add sugar or any type back to your diet, your glycogen reduced cells will replenish and weight could easily go up 5-10lbs. Glycogen is stored from the break down of any sugars and is NEEDED for physical activity.

I think you must have mistyped some of this. It isn't true. Adding sugar of any type back into your diet does not result in a glycogen regain of 5-10lbs. Low carb athletes replace glycogen storage just fine. The Faster study looked into it and found no real difference. At all.

Now if you'd typed a pound or so of water will be regained, I would agree completely. :)

This purely anecdoctal, but I usually gain 7-10 lbs after a couple very carb heavy days. I know that it comes off in a few days back on a deficit. I've done this a dozen times over the course of my journey, because, ya know bagels and such.

It can happen. As I said, it isn't 5-10 lbs of glycogen, but rather it is water. Carbs (and insulin) cause water retention.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @kshama2001 Thanks so much! Don't want to hijack any more than I have but appreciate your input here :smile:

OP, I hope you realize that many of these critiques and questions aren't meant to belittle you but are coming from a group of people who truly want you to be successful. At least that goes for me.

My pleasure! Feel free to message me privately or start a new thread :)
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I questioned my doctor about the bacon because he said no fried food and I also know it's fat is high.

Pigs do not contain sugar.

But the babies are so sweet!

Lm5JL.gif

If I had to choose between giving up bacon forever and killing that poor sweet little adorable piggy myself.......hand me the knife, I'm hungry.

Bacon doesn't come from these pigs, that is a potbelly pig and they (as far as I know) are pet pigs and not butchering pigs

Bacon most certainly DOES come from these pigs, whether over the centuries they have been bred and raised by impoverished Vietnamese families, or today in the US when idiots buy them as "teacup pigs" and then go crying for "a free good home on a farm" when they naturally reach their slaughter weight of hundreds of pounds.

tr6r4kxsblma.jpg

No need to capitalize a word, I can read and comprehend just fine. The pig in the original picture looked like a potbelly pig to me and forgive my ignorance as I was not aware that main stream markets carried bacon from anything other than our regular domestic pigs. Now apparently I have learned otherwise
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Absolutely.
  • SGCFAb5320162016
    SGCFAb5320162016 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Diet pop has no sugar.

So you are going to avoid all fruits and vegetables?

No but it has aspartame usually.its worse
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Diet pop has no sugar.

So you are going to avoid all fruits and vegetables?

No but it has aspartame usually.its worse

You may want to have a read of this very well written piece by someone who truly knows their stuff:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

giphy.gif
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Thank you for the pictures that may help. Maybe I misworded my squat. My knees don't pass my toes.

I figured that's what you meant. And it's still fine. In fact, it's expected. I'd be willing to be that if you let them go past your toes, you'd be able to go lower. Below is an image from one of the (if not the single) best training instructional book. Even if you're not using added weight, you can keep your arms in front of you for balance, but your knees will go past your toes.

squat.jpg

I'm afraid you may be giving bad advice here. I have a knee injury and have read up on exercising with it, and the key pieces of advice I have come across are, as OP says:

- Don't extend the knees over the toes (creates pressure under the kneecap)
    - Don't go too deep.

Here is an example from our own mfp blog: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/6-ways-to-modify-squats-and-lunges-for-bad-knees/ and one from the National Health Service website written by a physiotherapist http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/knee-exercises.aspx . Note the section on "squats" has both these guidelines.

Advice for proper form when uninjured does not apply to exercising with an injury.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thank you for the pictures that may help. Maybe I misworded my squat. My knees don't pass my toes.

I figured that's what you meant. And it's still fine. In fact, it's expected. I'd be willing to be that if you let them go past your toes, you'd be able to go lower. Below is an image from one of the (if not the single) best training instructional book. Even if you're not using added weight, you can keep your arms in front of you for balance, but your knees will go past your toes.

squat.jpg

I'm afraid you may be giving bad advice here. I have a knee injury and have read up on exercising with it, and the key pieces of advice I have come across are, as OP says:

- Don't go too deep.

Here is an example from our own mfp blog: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/6-ways-to-modify-squats-and-lunges-for-bad-knees/ and one from the National Health Service website written by a physiotherapist http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/knee-exercises.aspx . Note the section on "squats" has both these guidelines.

Advice for proper form when uninjured does not apply to exercising with an injury.

To be honest, i would much rather take the advice from Mark Rippetoe over any other person when it comes to lifting. He is one of the most renowed strength coachea out there, which is where @TR0berts posted that picture from.

Although, modificationa may need to occur if injured.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

squat.jpg

- Don't go too deep.

I hear you, but take another look at that nhs link. When he does his squats, even though he says to not let the knees go past the toes? They do. Additionally, he states to not go more than a right angle - which is parallel, the recommended point for squats.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    I hear you, but take another look at that nhs link. When he does his squats, even though he says to not let the knees go past the toes? They do.

Where are you seeing that? That shot is head on. There's no way you can tell.

If a physiotherapist says don't let the knees go past the toes in the case of an injury, you don't let the knees go past the toes. I don't care how many experts in lifting tell you that's proper form when uninjured - when you have an injury, you follow the physio's advice. Knee injuries are not to be messed with.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I hear you, but take another look at that nhs link. When he does his squats, even though he says to not let the knees go past the toes? They do.

Where are you seeing that?

In the two pictures below it of the single leg squats. Think about that for a minute. When all of the weight is supported by one leg, that's going to put more stress on the knee than when supported by two legs.

As such, when he says to do one thing, but does the exact opposite, one should question what he's really saying.

• CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    I see the one you mean, but if it is in front, it's only very fractionally so. It's within the margin of error when you consider that he's balancing on one leg. It is in no way fully in front as in the pictures of normal squatting posted above. That's the point.

I'm trying to work out why you seem to be doing your best to encourage OP to do something gung-ho and with abandon that is specifically against medical advice. Yeah, maybe you can get away with your knee being like a degree over the end of your toe. Or maybe it is better not to risk it at all. Either way it's not the same as saying the guideline means nothing and you should go ahead and squat as if you had no injury at all.

Seriously, just because OP posted some very bad advice she got from a doctor doesn't mean all medical professionals are wrong about everything all of the time.