WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• lacruiser2016
    lacruiser2016 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    A new discovery--found out how to browse the list of exercises. I feel pretty stupid since it was right there in front of me, but just in case someone else missed it: click Add Exercise, then click All exercises (tab to the right) and voila.

Re vitamin d--I was shocked to discover I was deficient. I play tennis outdoors 2-4 times a week during the day, and we go to the beach almost every weekend. Go figure. I take 1000 mg gummies, 1/day. My level normalized in about a month.
  • KathyB394
    KathyB394 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just joining this thread! Newbie to MFP at 53 yrs old and have at least 105 lbs to lose. Need all the encouragement and advice I can get!

Goals for 2017:
    1. Log foods and exercise daily on MFP.
    2. Exercise 4- 6 days per week increasing time weekly.
    3. Balance work and personal life.
    4. Spend some time on myself each day in relaxing or doing something fun.
    5. (Stealing this from another MFP member, thank you!) End each month lighter than I started!

Looking forward to getting to know many of You! If you want to help someone through a life change of weight loss add me as a friend!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-21X7X 30

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Fitness Test
    Push-ups-4×12
    Sit ups-4×12
    Jumping jacks-4×12

I am feeling much better today. I will still rest as much as possible today.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    <3
    Rita in CT
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    KathyB394: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. Post often to give and get support. :smiley:

Mary: It is good to hear that you are feeling better today. YAY!!! :bigsmile:

DH received a confirmation in the mail for his rescheduled eye surgery but hasn't tried to set up a second appointment for the other eye. I think his difficulty seeing is starting to wear on him and he's feeling discouraged at the moment. I hope it is temporary. :heart:

I got a call from my son this morning, just to chat. It was a wonderful surprise. He had some good news about his car. They've got it up and running and he plans to keep it until it quits running. It is a Volvo and they make a sturdy product. The car is already quite old, and he'll keep it while it gets older.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    Katla- thanks! Still fighting it though!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Having a good morning. Horses fed and done a little cleaning. Ordered a screen saver and protector for my new phone. I have book club later, we are discussing "Here if You Need Me". It is written by a chaplain for the Maine Warden Service. I enjoyed it. Will get groceries this afternoon.

Vitamin D - I have sarcoidosis and cannot take it. One of the odd things about this disease is that the granulomas produce a precursor to vitamin D and thus raise your vitamin D and serum calcium level. It is impossible to find multivitamins without D so I take separate ones.

Charleen - Enjoy that quilt retreat, sounds like fun.

Lisa - Congrats on quitting smoking again and especially getting the paper out without it.

Re - I love the water and water exercise. It is so much easier on the joints. I did water therapy immediately after my knee replacements. It was so much better than land therapy although I did that too. I have saggy skin too but bear in mind most of your time is spent under water where it doesn't show. Be sure to drink lots of water. You do sweat but just don't feel it so most people think they are hungry when they are really thirsty after swimming.

"Whatever fortune brings, don't be afraid of doing things." - Herman Melville

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,553 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    Finally got an Internet connection and can talk to you. DH has gone for a walk on the beach.
    We arrived very tired after a loooong flight and then a two hour drive to the hotel. It was well gone midnight English time. We weren't raving about the room, but went and had a quite expensive, but reasonably pleasant dinner in the beach dining shack. Loud music and loud Americans. (Sorry) :o
    We didn't sleep brilliantly, but this morning has gone MUCH better and the holiday has begun. B):D Wonderful tour of Tulum this morning (ancient Mayan temples) and a pleasant lunch by the beach has put us in a good mood. I had the most fabulous green smoothie followed by squid. Lovely salsas for dipping. Tonight we get get a taxi into town to eat at a place our guide recommended. Much more authentic food and cheaper. We have fallen on our feet with the guide. She is great, very informative and speaks good English. I am managing to speak quite a bit of Spanish - much more than I managed in Spain. :D People seem happy to reply to me in Spanish.
    On the way back from the ruins we stopped at a supermarket and bought snacks and cheap beer. Not paying hotel prices. :o:o
    It just makes me cross to be paying inflated prices. :noway:
    When DH gets back I will go for a swim. I might enter the ocean for a jump over the waves and then come back to the pool outside our door for a swim. I will wear my fully covering UV suit. :p:D;)
    I do have one pic, but I have to get it off my phone.

Love you all, Heather in the Yucatan, Mexico
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    lacruiser, when you were typing on your iPad, did you try to insert an emoji? I find that makes my post go poof.

When you said Rustin, I thought that sounded familiar, then I scrolled back and saw the LA was for Louisiana. My nephew is working in Rustin. My sister lives on the West Bank of New Orleans right off the Huey Long Bridge. It is indeed a small world!
  • ctleonard9
    ctleonard9 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Unfortunately I am up another half pound in my weigh in this AM. I will say I have been diligent logging and measuring since the cheese cake disaster last Sunday.

Lisa in West, TX: So glad to hear that you put down the cigs. I smoked for 3 years and stopped about 2.5 years ago. It was quite a struggle. I used the patch.

SueBDew in TX: Congratulations on your weight loss.

Everyone have a great afternoon. Time to go to the grocery store and make good food choices :)

Cat in VA
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    I just found out one of my niece's husbands will be part of the security forces at the inauguration. He's a detective on the Denver Police force.

Janetr okc
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Yesterday did an hour of yoga and then an hour of deep water. Today dad an advanced strength training DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a DVD on the rebounder.

Went to ceramics last night. Put another coat of paint on the head of the dolphin -- it was too streaky. Hope it fires OK. Today I volunteered at the Green Room after taking a donation to the soup kitchen, went to the bank (ATM), got my hair cut, back to the ATM, then to WalMart. Tomorrow we're leaving to go to PA -- Denise wants to go wedding dress shopping. We just realized that tomorrow we'll be on the beltway the day of the inauguration. Well, the beltway is ALWAYS crowded. Back to the Green Room to see a rehearsal of "Wait Unitl Dark". I really wanted to see this show and by the time I could sign up to usher, all the slots had been filled! Went to Krispy Kreme because Denise likes their donuts and yesterday the road in front of them was closed. Since I didn't know if it would be closed today, I just went early before the workers started

Welcome everyone new.

Gloria - Vince calls me the "eternal optimist"

Margaret - Vince said he found some sheets on eBay with a decent thread count at a good price. Most of them are new. If you ever need to get new ones, check there

Allie - so glad you are going to the lawyer and getting an review of your house. Sounds very good

Finished taking the ornaments off the last tree last night. Vince is now rolling up the rugs, trees are in the garage. We only have the rug and tree in the living room to be put away, it's all undecorated.

Lois - I'm with you on the "diets". I don't have a particular diet, I eat everything, just in moderation. I've gotten to where I love my veggies and fruits I know I wouldn't succeed if there were any foods that I really couldn't have or had to restrict significantly. That's just me

I was really hoping that I could go to the Y up by Denise, but it looks like I won't be able to. So I'll probably do some HIIT Sat. and Sun. That burns extra calories and I suspect I will need that, even trying to be good

Marcelyn - stay dry

janetr - so sorry about your sister and BIL. Will keep them in my prayers

Sherry so sorry about Missy. Let's hope things work out and you get her. I'm so so sorry about your situation.

Congrats on all the losses and NSV's

Marni - be careful. Hope there isn't too much damage from that fall. Sometimes it takes a while for it to show up. My bathing suit for water aerobics is chlorine resistant. The lining is starting to disintegrate, but the suit is just fine. Yes, they are a bit more expensive. But in the long run they are worth it. I got mine from Hanes Place or One Hanes, something like that, with "Hanes" in the name

Cheri - great steps

Re - I love water aerobics in the deep end. There is absolutely no impact but I sure get a good workout!

Sherry - Vince has a large safe where he keeps his guns. Good for you wanting to rescue a dog!

janetr - nice nails

Heather - really looking forward to you telling us all about your travels and living it thru you

Better go get dinner ready.

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sherry, you are such an inspiration to me. You just don't let life get you down. You own it. Thank you for being my friend. And yes, I agree with your carry and conceal permit. If anyone needs it it is you. My daughter hot her after she was tailgated for quite a while and even tried to ram her car. He followed her for miles. Luckily another girl was in the car with her and was on the phone with 911 the whole time and the guy was caught. My son in law also has one but he says he carries it because he has the right and has 2 daughters.

Barbie, my neurologist went to a neuro conference and then started ordering high dose Vit D3 to her patients. I can't remember how much is in my multi vitamin but she ordered an additional 5000IU.

Heather, glad you arrived safe and am enjoying yourself. So glad all your studies with your Spanish has paid off.

Janet, you must be so proud to have a family member as part of the security force tomorrow. To me it would be very scary to be there.

Joyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,553 Member
    Options
    cutie nails janetr !
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,753 Member
    Options
    Heather... no apologies ... sadly, many Americans ARE loud. I hope the rest of your vacation is wonderful!

Barbie... I take 10,000iu of D3 daily ... this is a lot. My blood levels sit at 70 and my doctor watches it closely because I ask her to. I believe it helps my knee joints as well as my immunity. Haven't been significantly sick in ages. (knocking on wood)

Well, I ate some gluten today ... will see what my knees do. I discovered my stomach wasn't happy and I now have a headache?? I suspect I overthink these things!

I don't know how many of you have experience with personal care aides for the elderly or the disabled. My son with physical disabilities maintains an independent life with the help of personal care aides ... they're not certified ... so anyone can be an aide if we or our agency choose to hire them. In NY, the state helps pay for these aides, but the pay is too low for the type of work they're asked to do. As a result, we often get individuals who are not capable of or willing to work or who have no business working with humans. Fired and reported one gal last night. Reported another gal for medicaid fraud today (billing for time she didn't work). Second thoughts, this is most likely the cause of my headache ...

It's gray and dreary here but looking forward to Friday. My friend from Nashville (the one who serves as a second mama to my son going to school there) will be in town and we are planning a quick coffee klatch with other friends. It will a be a positive way to end the week.

Have a good evening.
    Beth near Buffalo