Are men afraid to ask for a women's number?

Replies

• melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,332 Member
    nolan44219 wrote: »
    I think the last time I asked for a number it was a waitress at Applebee's. She gave it to me but I had already been flirting with her a little before.

Had a Chili's waiter ask me for my number once when I was out with my daughters. I was so clueless that he was actually hitting on me, since he was younger and super cute. I thought he wanted it for some survey thing. Nope. Haha!
  • Nitroalley2
    Nitroalley2 Posts: 3,419 Member
    chrissyw30 wrote: »
    LL5lifts wrote: »
    Most guys fear getting rejected and most females go on a power trip after saying no, so the male sex has resorted to facebook stalking. Plain and simple.

The best way I think to lure in a woman is to have a decadent brownie on a plate (obviously the classier the presentation the classier the lady you will attract..for example whip cream, caramel fudge drizzle, hazelnuts) attached to a string. When the lady tries to get the brownie you simply pull the string in a little, then a little more and soon she'll be at your house where you can have the whole pan of brownies waiting. If you have wine there as well....you don't even need to get her phone number.

That would work for me!!! Or a trail of m&ms! Lol

Peanut or regular?
  • shaunte92
    shaunte92 Posts: 127 Member
    Lol before social media? We're about the same age (I'm 24)... there is no "before" social media! And men approach me all the time but ONLY in certain settings. Like- never @ the grocery store, the library, or a park (you know- the cute places where you would WANT them to approach) always at night when I'm out to dinner, at a bar, or at a party. So I kind of get what you're saying.
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT_
    RUN_LIFT_EAT_ Posts: 86 Member
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Would never ask the number of someone unless we had hit it off in an actual conversation. I find it creepy to ask the number of a complete stranger.

Same here. I'd assume a girl would look at a strange guy asking for her number like he had a peen on his forehead. However, if I had even a few minutes of conversation, then it wouldn't be an issue. Plus, talking for a few minutes would clue me in to whether she just got off the crazy train!
  • ChrissyDomer
    ChrissyDomer Posts: 1,064 Member
    Most guys fear getting rejected and most females go on a power trip after saying no, so the male sex has resorted to facebook stalking. Plain and simple.

The best way I think to lure in a woman is to have a decadent brownie on a plate (obviously the classier the presentation the classier the lady you will attract..for example whip cream, caramel fudge drizzle, hazelnuts) attached to a string. When the lady tries to get the brownie you simply pull the string in a little, then a little more and soon she'll be at your house where you can have the whole pan of brownies waiting. If you have wine there as well....you don't even need to get her phone number.

Peanut or regular?

Regular, and I'll just dip them in a jar of peanut butter
  • LeWahnderful
    LeWahnderful Posts: 64 Member
    shaunte92 wrote: »
    Lol before social media? We're about the same age (I'm 24)... there is no "before" social media! And men approach me all the time but ONLY in certain settings. Like- never @ the grocery store, the library, or a park (you know- the cute places where you would WANT them to approach) always at night when I'm out to dinner, at a bar, or at a party. So I kind of get what you're saying.

Yes ! lol I'm 25, but if you think about it even 5 years ago when I was 20... 2012, many people still hadn't had iPhones/smart phones and people were still primarily on Facebook, and just getting to Instagram so yes, within 5 years I've noticed a big difference. I've always looked "mature" so I was getting hit on when I was 14/15
  • bloodsy
    bloodsy Posts: 34 Member
    Someone asked for my number just yesterday so I wanna say yes. But it doesn't happen often. When it does it's always the arrogant dudes from the gym.

How do you know that they are arrogant if you've never spoken to them before? Perhaps they are just confident in themselves.
  • Nitroalley2
    Nitroalley2 Posts: 3,419 Member

Peanut or regular?

Regular, and I'll just dip them in a jar of peanut butter

It's gotta be crunchy not creamy!
  • bloodsy
    bloodsy Posts: 34 Member
    edited January 2017
    You're right I've been attending the same gym for 2 years, i'd have no clue which ones are arrogant and which aren't. Silly me....

If they haven't asked you for your number in 2 years they must be getting desperate.

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    I am generally not shy, but when it comes to a girl I like I get soopah shy. Sucks.
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    I believe with the plethora of social networks and dating sites, men just don't approach women as much anymore to get their 'digits'. Has anyone else noticed this ?

We don't have to worry about rejection these days, but also the risk of being labelled a creep/sex-pest. It isn't worth the risk.

Check out the reactions of the women at the start of this video. Why subject yourself to that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmP1ier3R30
  • ArmyMedic2016
    ArmyMedic2016 Posts: 180 Member
    a fine line between being forward and creepy. I am too shy in real life to ask a lady for their details, but l find social media can take away that awkwardness
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    Men here tend to state, "Let's swap digits" or "do you want to Kik me."

Short answer, if he likes you, he will ask you or stalk you.

#SmallTownAmerica

Why would someone you meet in person want to Kik?

I suspect it feels safer to give out your Kik address than your phone number or even email.

Safer than what? You've met in person. I'm a female and I'm not afraid of someone having my number. If they're crazy, just block them.

you'd be surprised all the things I can find on the internet with your phone number.

Maybe I just have good judgement then. I've never had an issue when giving a guy my number. Plus, I'm not crazy, so guys don't need to worry about me doing anything with their numbers.

How many complete strangers have you given your number to?

I'm not talking about someone you've seen around for some time, or had a long conversation with. I think kik allows you to get to know them a bit better before upping the connection.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member

#SmallTownAmerica

I suspect it feels safer to give out your Kik address than your phone number or even email.

Safer than what? You've met in person. I'm a female and I'm not afraid of someone having my number. If they're crazy, just block them.

you'd be surprised all the things I can find on the internet with your phone number.

Maybe I just have good judgement then. I've never had an issue when giving a guy my number. Plus, I'm not crazy, so guys don't need to worry about me doing anything with their numbers.

I'm not talking about someone you've seen around for some time, or had a long conversation with. I think kik allows you to get to know them a bit better before upping the connection.

I don't give my number out to every Joe schmoe I meet, but I've given it out to a couple guys that I met out at a bar. They were complete strangers before we talked and decided we liked each other enough to want to go out on a date. If they'd asked to Kik I would have declined a date. I'm also old enough to remember what real dating is. A guy asks you out, you say yes, and he picks you up at your place and takes you out. Online dating, social media and the internet has completely ruined dating.

Just as I thought, you aren't giving your number to complete strangers. It's very different asking/giving digits with someone you've had a connection with.
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member

#SmallTownAmerica

I don't give my number out to every Joe schmoe I meet, but I've given it out to a couple guys that I met out at a bar. They were complete strangers before we talked and decided we liked each other enough to want to go out on a date. If they'd asked to Kik I would have declined a date. I'm also old enough to remember what real dating is. A guy asks you out, you say yes, and he picks you up at your place and takes you out. Online dating, social media and the internet has completely ruined dating.

Just as I thought, you aren't giving your number to complete strangers. It's very different asking/giving digits with someone you've had a connection with.

If someone in real life walked up to me and asked me to Kik, Skype or use any app for talking, I'd say no.

people ask to Kik? lol
  • nolan44219
    nolan44219 Posts: 1,221 Member
    I get ladies numbers all day everyday but I never call any of them.

you know, I'm not really sure how reliable those "for a good time call" numbers on the mens bathroom walls really are.

Lol one of my friends called one once. The girl that answered was not pleased and did not offer him what sounded like a good time. Well I guess unless you are into what she told him to do to himself.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member

#SmallTownAmerica

Hi !
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »

#SmallTownAmerica

Hi !
    Motorsheen wrote: »

#SmallTownAmerica

Hi !

Friday night at 7:00 sound good? ;)

for you?

... just name the time and the place
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    I find that mostly weird dudes have the confidence/gall to ask for my number. Kind of annoying.

I met someone on New Years eve and was shocked. It was the first time I have organically met someone I like in real life and not online in a very long time.
  • CaptainAmericaGirlYASSS
    CaptainAmericaGirlYASSS Posts: 811 Member
    edited January 2017
    I was like in middle school the last time anyone asked for my number , and I think he didn't even ask me directly- he asked my bff and then texted me 'Hey I got your number from so&so, what's up?' LMAO!