What is the daftest weight related thing someone has ever said to you?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    I don't know. I just think if you are compelled to do something you hate and wish you could stop but can't, then it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.

Anyhoo...the daftest thing anyone ever saidd to me was that I was gaining weight despite working out because I was putting on muscle (during my very easy weekly sessions with a personal trainer) I swear to god she didn't even ask me what I was eating.

There's an element of "eye of the beholder" in that "compelled" word, too.

Very often, I fail to do things that I know it would be better for me to do, and also do things that it would be better for me to avoid. It would be nice to be able to say that I was "compelled" to act in the way I did. But I'd know I was lying to myself.

Obligatory on-topic daft thing: "You can't drink alcohol and still lose weight, because the alcohol gets metabolized first" (it does, more or less), "and anything you eat around the same time just gets stored as fat" (It doesn't, if you're in a deficit).
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    SteveC_71 wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Diet soda will make you gain weight and causes cancer

Well I have actually read a lot of studies about diet soda and none of them are good. The problem with DS is your body thinks it is sweet and you have just taken in sugar, when you haven't, so your body produces insulin to regulate the sugar you didn't drink. Eventually your body starts to slow down on insulin production and problems start. And if you don't think the phenylaniline (sp.) in Diet Coke is bad, just google it and see. If 1/2 of what is said about it is true it is really bad for you

Any studies done that suggest diet soda causes weight gain are correlational. What that means is that there is a correlation between those who drink diet soda and those who are overweight...but if we could all say it together now..."correlation does not equal causation!".

Any link between the two is easily explained by the fact that people who are already overweight/diabetic begin drinking diet soda to help them lose weight/control blood sugar.

Have a nice day.

You can employ this reasoning about anything regarding health: cigarettes, alcohol, dark chocolate, apples, seat belts, multi-vitamins, aspirin, eating breakfast, not eating breakfast ... (Also, the above is not a "fact.")

Links between things can be explained "easily" however you decide to link what with what.

Have a nice day.

You know that's not just done at random, right? There's a whole science around how to work out the difference between correlation and causation and it's not just based on which outcome you like better.

I haven't personally looked into the evidence on artifical sweeteners so I don't have a stance on it, but I would say that googling an issue and finding that people are saying bad stuff is completely irrelevant. You need to look at peer reviewed studies and make an effort to assess the quality of the study and also check whether what it claims to prove (or others claim it proves) is actually possible to prove with that study.

As an example, the decision that studies on lung cancer and cigarettes prove causation took a lot of time, analysis and careful study design. It was not based on a bit of correlation and a hunch.

I love the example of that the number of babies born in a town has a direct correlation to the number of Indian takeaways in that town. So we can obviously assume that a good curry helps pregnancy yeah LOL

Curry is sexy. ;)
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    MFP posts seeking advice on the struggles of trying to eat 1200 or 1000 calories. "I feel so full I'm stuffed how can i get my daily calories in?" Just who do they think they're talking to?
    I know, right?! I always want to ask how did they become fat in the first place, if eating 1200 kcal is such an impossible task SMH

A lot of folks never read the nutrition information of the food they eat until AFTER joining the website. 1200 calories' worth of fried Twinkies looks a heck of a lot different than 1200 calories' worth of nutrient-dense food. Taking into account all the chewing that has to go into getting down anything with fiber vs. anything made mostly of fat, and of course you're going to get newcomers asking those kinds of questions. Let's not forget if they're (finally) drinking plenty of water for the first time! They're bound to have questions of how to fit it all in, etc. We all gotta start somewhere. JS.

Bad advice I've gotten:
    • Tracking my intake and watching what I eat will trigger my ED (No, it doesn't work that way)
    • That 1230 calories a day is a "starvation diet" and I'm just low-key getting back into my old habits (I have a desk job and don't move around as much)
    • Consuming fried foods is good for you because your body will be more willing to release fat if you eat a lot of it, at least 2000 calories worth (At my heaviest, I was 400 lbs. No thanks).
    • Smoking helps you lose weight (Yeah, it also made me drop dead in front of my daughter of a pulmonary embolism, but thanks).
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm not gonna learn statistics, it's boring, too, and just makes you lie to people. It's almost like math, or something.

62.8% of statistics are made up on the spot, you know. Within a 0.02% tolerance, of course.

:D
    This thread enrages me because it's about 70% stupid myths, and about 20% people who think true things are stupid myths, and 10% people who pedantically refuse to understand the actual intention behind the phrase "muscle weighs more than fat".

I read a very long-winded comment on a blog somewhere (maybe even MFP's own blog) about this, where the comparison was demonstrated by the difference in volume between an equal weight of feathers and gold. The commenter was going about how gold is weighed in Troy ounces so the comparison wasn't valid.

But I have to admit that the above phrase does irritate me (yes, I'm a pedant, so what? ;) ), because it's not the weight that should be compared. At least the gold/feathers thing was talking about the volume/appearance of the same weight of each. :)

As someone with a master's degree in sociology and a bachelor's degree in economics I disagree it's 63.2% of statistics are made on the spot and that as a society we accept that. Lol

Dammit, I was so close!

btw, I would totally subscribe to your "easy to understand" blog... :)
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Lol.. Yep me too, shes got a nice figure, but some of the things she said really didnt make much sense.. i wonder if its possible to have psychosomatic view and maybe she just imagined more defined abs... like homer simpson looking in the mirror after drinking and imagining himself with massive pecks?

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable explanation to me.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    [fill in the blank] is fattening.

As if eating said food really will make you fat.

Perhaps if said food is the entire E.U. Butter Mountain? ;) (I don't even know if that still exists...!)
  • Mirlanda1
    Mirlanda1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've heard so many.

The one that bothered me most was my Doctor telling me I had to lose weight so I could not eat pizza or ice cream. I expected my Doctor to know better...