February 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm not as brave as @MNLittleFinn and have been using the treadmill on cold days since I got a gym membership a couple weeks ago. Tonight it is cold (nothing like his temps), windy, and dark already (of course), so I'm heading out to the gym.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    2.1.17 - 11.5 m. TM @ 8:00 pace.
    2.2.17 - 7.5 m. TM RH Lvl 1 9:25 pace.
    2.4.17 - 19 m. TM 9:22 pace.
    2.5.17 - 1.1 m. Need recovery day.
    2.6.17 - 9.9 m. Nice day in Ohio.
    2.7.17 - 7 m. 8:00 pace.

bucvpzf2snde.jpg
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    February Running Totals (miles)
    2/1 – 7.00 easy
    2/2 – 2.63 easy shakedown run
    2/3 – travel day, didn't get a run in
    2/4 – 7.99 warm up on road + 8K cross country
    2/5 – travel day, didn't get a run in
    2/6 – travel day
    2/7 – 9.26 warm up, speed work, cool down

February total to date – 26.88

Nominal Challenge Goal – 225 miles
    Real Goals: Survive travel to and from Bend. Train well toward Boston. Avoid injury.

Today's notes – Soaked up almost 10 hours of sleep last night, and felt pretty normal when I got up this morning. Had delusions of running an easy 5 miles in the morning, but by the time it might have happened, it was raining and I decided speed work this evening would be good enough.

Talked to Coach about the travel back from Bend and not running at all the last two days. He said to back off and just do 3 x 1000 at T pace. But when I went out to run the first interval, the first 200 m came in close to I pace and felt really good. So I ran the club workout instead: 1 x 800, 1 x 1000, 1 x 1200, 1 x 1000, 1 x 800, all at I pace, all with same time recovery. This is the part of the marathon plan that starts to work on improving VO2 max. Thrown in a 2 mile warm up and a 2 mile cool down, and you get over 9 miles.

I really, really needed a good run today. I wasn't beat up physically from Bend, but I was pretty beat up mentally from the travel. Gettting in a good speed workout put my mind back into training. I need to adjust the training plan to account for missing some of the quality workouts; I think I'll go back a week and get on the club's marathon training schedule instead of being a week ahead of everyone else.

In other news, I've pretty much committed to run the 8K in Virginia Beach on March 18. I'm told it can be cheap travel with car pooling. That would be a good thing, because I spent more than planned on the trip to Bend.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) will sit out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY)
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY)
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Virginia Beach, VA)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    4 miles on treadmill tonight:

exercise.png
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

February 1- 15km
    February 2- 11km
    February 3- 11.1km
    February 4- 22km
    February 5- 10km
    February 6- 15.1km
    February 7- 5.1km

91.3km/200km

• cchen2015
    cchen2015 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    2/1/17----7.2miles
    2/2/17----7.8miles
    2/3/17----7.7miles
    2/4/17----8.7miles
    2/5/17----5.1miles
    2/6/17----6.5miles
    2/7/17----9.1miles

exercise.png

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Here's an example of the area I'm running. Depending on time of day there's more or less parked cars, but there's never much traffic.zc064vqf8xq0.png

@greenolivetree - It may be my age but this is the opening scene to every movie I saw in my early teens. Lots of teens sat in the front/living room [what do you guys call that?] and soon after that gets dark - lots of biting/draining fluids after that!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    I took an unplanned rest day yesterday because it was pouring rain. Sure I could have gone for my recovery run and I probably should have but I just couldn't push myself out the door. Honestly I didn't even get out of my PJs all day. I was just exhausted and had to be up on a conference call with Europe super early in my morning. All I really wanted to do all day was go back to bed.
    After a good 9 hours of sleep I felt much better this morning and while it was still raining I changed into my running clothes and got out the door while I was still in meetings and just listening. I felt great initially but by the time I hit my turnaround point I was dragging again - my hip flexors and glutes were screaming. But I got it in and even made it to the gym for my training session and my trainer wasn't too tough on my legs. We have another big storm expected in Friday so my plan is to run tomorrow and Thursday, take Friday off and get in a longish run on Saturday. Next week I am going to start incorporating more tempo and HIIT sessions into my week. Maybe by the HM in July I can get a time improvement.

Ok time to catch up with y'all at least a little...
    @ddmom0811 - Congratulations on your HM too! I am sorry you had stomach issues that slowed you down, but it did make us twins :) That race really does look awesome - so cool to actually run on the track!
    @Azercord - love the new pup! She is adorable and looks like she will be a great running partner.
    @greenolivetree - I hope your husband is feeling a bit better and you are able to get some runs in and maybe a little bit of a schedule. Hang in there!
    @kimlight2 - Thanks. No plans right now for more tests. My heart issue is known and has been under the cardiologists care for a few years mostly because my HR drops so low. This was just some new symptoms that I haven't experienced before - at least not when I was running.
    @MobyCarp - The trip to Bend sounds rough, especially the driving in the winter snow warning! But the results of the race were great, especially helping your team to a 1st place finish! Virginia Beach in March should be great for running! :)
    @mustb60 - Congrats on the 10k in one stretch! It is awesome to see progress!
    @Elise4270 - how are things going with your recuperation? Is more surgery on the schedule or more rest?

Date........Miles........Total
    02/01......4.63........4.63
    02/02......0.00........4.63 - + Strength Training and Rally
    02/03......2.35........6.98
    02/04......0.00........6.98 - Race Expo
    02/05....13.36......20.18 - Surf City HM
    02/06......0.00......20.34
    02/07......5.23......25.57 - +S trength Training

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/23/17 - San Francisco 1st Half Marathon
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

February 1- 15km
    February 2- 11km
    February 3- 11.1km
    February 4- 22km
    February 5- 10km
    February 6- 15.1km
    February 7- 5.1km

91.3km/200km

Oh, my, wow. Awesome, @JessicaMcB

When's your marathon?
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Date,,,,,,,,,,,,Miles,,,,,,,,,,,,,Total
    1/2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,4.1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,4.1
    2/2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,4.0,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,8.1
    3/2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Rest,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,8.1
    4/2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Rest,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,8.1
    5/2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,4.1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,12.2
    6/2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,3.5,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,15.7
    7/2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Rest,,,,,,,,,,,,,,15.7
    8/2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,4.1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,19.8

exercise.png[\img]
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thank you!! @kimlight2,@ddmom0811,@garygse,@potatowhoruns,@RespectTheKitty, @shanabershanaber, @HonuNuiHonuNu.

@RespectTheKitty Yes, an exhilirating and very satisfying feeling indeed. Can't wait to repeat! :)
    @HonuNuiHonuNu What a mesmerising blue sky! Great pic. I really like to read the runners' posts here. Very inspiring and great tips.

FEBRUARY Running challenge
    Goal: 50 km
    Done: 22/28 km

8/2/17 SL 5x5, walk 7 km
    7/2/17 Run 10 km
    5/2/17 Run 5 km
    2/2/17 Run 7 km
    1/2/17 Rest day slow walk 3 km
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    01/02 3.06 miles
    08/02 3.16 miles - run felt really difficult but it turns out I was a full minute faster. So went from feeling a bit down with myself to thinking gosh maybe I am improving!

Great pictures of where everybody runs!

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

@Elise4270 - how are things going with your recuperation? Is more surgery on the schedule or more rest?

Follow up the 24th. I think working and not being able to walk and self rehab has set me back. I had been okay walking 2 hours. The 45 minutes yesterday was hard. Butt I think I have more muscle use now. Although I noticed my left quad appears to be wasting some.

I'll keep at it. That's all I can do. All this unseasonably warm weather is just so I can get my butt out there and not cry about the cold ;-) wish the wind would die down though. Year 'round allergies are no fun.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Another day, another run. In unrelated news, the kids managed to flood the upstairs bathroom last night, with plenty of water damage to the master bedroom downstairs, so we'll be on the phone with the insurance today. Yay kids.

03 - 2.24 miles
    04 - 9.30
    06 - 11.67
    07 - 7.25
    08 - 12.43

Total: 42.89 / 125
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Love all the pictures of where you all run!

@louubelle16 - my daughter and I are going to London in April - just for a week. I'll message you about the park run, maybe we will do it! We are staying in Paddington area at an AirBNB.
    @_nikkiwolf_ - A toe injury is no laughing matter, that's for sure. You definitely might throw off your gait and then injure something else. I think I am going to lose a toenail after Sunday's HM. I can't tell if it's black under the red polish but it feels just it does before it falls off. Also - after we leave London we go to Paris for a few days. But I don't think you are close to there.

@elise4270 - You are right - keep at it!

It was raining with thunder this morning so I was afraid to go out and run. I have strength training after work. Last week when I was leaving my strength training gym, I saw that at a tiny running store (a few doors down), there were a bunch of people getting ready to run. So I went on their website and saw they have a 6:15 running group on Monday and Wednesdays. I may join them tonight if I can time my strength training to end in time.

So... will update ticker stuff later.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    2/1- 8.1
    2/2- REST
    2/3- 4.23
    2/4- 14.11
    2/5- 3.16
    2/6- 6.16
    2/7- REST
    2/8- 8.09

Total: 43.85

Monthly goals:
    Mileage goal: 150
    Real Goal: Stay healthy enough to get into the swing of real marathon training.

Today's notes: Another progression run, but I decided to run this one on an out and back that's basically just a bunch of long rolling hills. First 6 miles were at 9:46 pace. Then a mile and a half at 8:47 and the last 5 minutes at 8:28.

I was pretty darn tired after this workout. It was just about 0F when I was running, and I had a 5mph headwind for the first 4 miles. Last 4 miles, with tail wind were ok, but with the loose snow and ice on the roads, it still made for a harder workout.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Cross-training day for me, which means my usual Wednesday Zumba class. New teacher started last week, and she was significantly less intense than the previous (burned only 275 cals according to my HRM, vs a normal avg of around 500, ugh), so I really hope she ramps it up, or I might be finding a new option for Wednesdays.

So, it's a forecast high of 55F today, and then between midnight tonight and midday tomorrow we're supposed to get 6-12 inches of snow! Wtf? Lol. I'm actually excited, because I like snow, and we haven't had much in the way of it for the second winter in a row. I'm hoping my company calls a snow day. I live only 1.5 miles from my office so I can't ever really use the excuse of not being able to get into the office! :D Also supposed to do a 7 mile lactate threshold tempo run tomorrow. We'll see if I'm able to find a way to do it outside, or if I'm gonna be stuck on the dreadmill. Happy Wednesday all!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

2/1 - 3.4 'mill miles and a quick weight session. The scale was ugly today.
    2/2 - 4.1 treadmill miles.
    2/3 - Rest day.
    2/4 - 2.3 'mill miles and then Bodypump class
    2/5 - Super Bowl = no run AND way overeating.
    2/6 - 4.01 miles.
    2/7 - 4.25 miles.
    2/8 - Shoveled in lieu of running. I hate snow.

exercise.png

Planned Races
    2/11 - Red Flannel Run 5 Mile
    4/8 - Beer and Bagel "Off Road"
    5/13 - Market to Market Relay
    6/3 - Dam to Dam HM
    10/15 - IMT Des Moines HM