PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18
    Kentucky Derby Marathon - 4/29

Didn't log last night. I went into the gym. 3 sets of squats, 3 sets db deadlifts, 3 sets leg presses, 3 sets db lunges, 3 sets 1 legged squats. Then ran 5 miles. OMG, I practically had nothing left in my legs and was pushing just to maintain a 10 minute pace. Same this this morning when I did my 5 recovery miles. I felt like I had no energy left in me. But I pressed on. It simulates what those last few miles will be like. Good mental push if anything. I know I will feel better tomorrow after doing this today.

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    2/1-5.2 miles +1 mile with Stella
    2/2-1.2 miles with Stella +6.9 miles solo
    2/3-1 mile with Stella+2.3 shakeout miles
    2/4-6.2 miles Cyclones Frozen 10K-PR!
    2/5-14 miles
    2/6-rest day
    2/7-5.7 miles
    2/8-7.5 miles

Pretty uneventful 7.5 miles this morning, except for maybe the pretty sunrise. I ran the ridge at the top of the hill, so it's always a bonus when it's a nice morning. Last 1.8 miles were with Stella and she had another good run.

@HonuNui - What a gorgeous run. I love your photos!

@dkabambe -LOL at the zombie movie scene. Yep, pretty typical American suburb.

exercise.png
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I was stuck at work past midnight, but I did take a break and go up and down 25 flights of stairs. It's unknown if I'll be able to run tonight or not.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I run early morning so it is pretty dark but usually very quite. Fortunately Tucson is setup to be very runner friendly, most of the areas I run in have nice paths to follow.

7gi8cm702yd8.png

The speed limits are high though (45 is the minimum in most areas) and for some reason people haven't figured out that the little bobbing light is a runner (even though we have tons of runners) and the red octagon sign means stop so I nearly get run over at least once a month. I have gotten really good at flicking my wedding ring against the side of cars though, it is tungsten carbide so I'm not worried about it and it does make a nice noise.

I need to get out and run in more locations, y'all have some beautiful running spots.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    I run early morning so it is pretty dark but usually very quite. Fortunately Tucson is setup to be very runner friendly, most of the areas I run in have nice paths to follow.

7gi8cm702yd8.png

The speed limits are high though (45 is the minimum in most areas) and for some reason people haven't figured out that the little bobbing light is a runner (even though we have tons of runners) and the red octagon sign means stop so I nearly get run over at least once a month. I have gotten really good at flicking my wedding ring against the side of cars though, it is tungsten carbide so I'm not worried about it and it does make a nice noise.

I need to get out and run in more locations, y'all have some beautiful running spots.

One of these days I'm gonna get an actual car smack in, I swear. I've come really close a couple times to giving a car a whack with my hand. I did shout at a guy once, and he heard me through his windows. It was very gratifying to see his surprised/sorry expression, lol
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

February 1- 15km
    February 2- 11km
    February 3- 11.1km
    February 4- 22km
    February 5- 10km
    February 6- 15.1km
    February 7- 5.1km

91.3km/200km

Oh, my, wow. Awesome, @JessicaMcB

When's your marathon?

@Orphia June 18 ;) haha. I'm trying to train more long game for CDR (125k) in August though now that I've been convinced I should run it. So really my mileage should be higher if I'm honest with myself
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Where I live, pedestrians and cyclists are seen as lesser than drivers. When pedestrians or cyclists are hit by a vehicle, nothing happens even when the driver was clearly negligent. The only case I ever saw where the driver was held somewhat accountable was when a cyclist was killed when run over by a drunk driver. I'm not even sure the driver was charged with the death, just with driving drunk. Also, the guy was not a cyclist technically - was camping that night on private property when the vehicle left the roadway and ran over his tent. It just happens he was camping while on a week long cycling trip for an established and large ride.

Another cyclist last year nearby was hit and killed. The driver came up behind him and just kept driving. Driver says he just didn't see the cyclist, which was literally right in front of him. 7 months later, he was just given a traffic ticket. That's it!

Also recently, a driver in the next state over hit and killed a runner, then left the scene. He wasn't charged with anything at all because he claims he thought he hit a deer so he just kept on driving. Seriously?!

In my county last year, a driver hit a runner and killed her. She was running as part of the high school cross country team and doing a training run. Naturally, there was much public sympathy for the driver and a lot of outrage at the school for allowing their runners to go out and run. Nobody was asking why the driver didn't pay attention.

In the northern part of my state, a cyclist was hit and killed - similar story where he drove up behind a cyclist and drove right on through the bike and rider as though it wasn't there. Says he was distracted by his kid in the back seat. No charges.

Yet another driver who killed a cyclist and not charged is now being praised by the public for encouraging a law for bicycles in this state to use rear lights / flags. Sure - blame the bikes for your inability to pay attention to what is on the road in front of you...

Long story short: Drivers are allowed to negligently killed recreational users of roads without penalty. It has bothered me for some time now.
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    February 6, 2017 7:58PM
    2/1 - 4.3
    2/2 - rest
    2/3 - 3.1
    2/4 - 5.0
    2/5 - 4.6
    2/6 - 3.1
    2/7 - 3.1
    2/8 - 6.0
    Feb total: 29.2/100mi.

Agghhh...really feeling the winter blues today. Why didn't I book a trip to Tahiti for Feb.??? :p
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Feb 1 - 20ish min walk in my office building
    Feb 2 - same as above
    Feb 3 - 3 mile run, negative splits but slow
    Feb 4 - taking down Christmas decorations
    Feb 5 - half mile driveway walk with MIL, 1 hr workout dvd (cardio/strength)
    Feb 6 - nothing
    Feb 7 - 5 mile run, slooooow with "pickups" in the 3rd mile

Goal: 8/50 running miles

@azercord You have a mountain in your pic and you think our pics are beautiful? hehe

@7lenny7 25 flights of stairs is impressive

@stoshew71 Running after leg work is tough!

@karllundy and @katiejane83 I love how your posts back-to-back disagreed on the snow :-D

@mnlittlefinn Nice run :)

@garygse Ugh, sorry about the flood :-/

@elise4270 I can see where being back at work would set back your progress.

@dkabambe Yes! I definitely live in your classic suburbs. My town is about 12,000 people and pretty much everybody bails out in the morning to go work in the next town :) We only recently started getting more things like a nicer grocery store, two schools, Starbucks. Primarily people just come there to sleep at night :-p

• greenolivetree
    Options
    @midwesterner85 My area was completely car-dependant for so many years and not pedestrian or cyclist friendly for sure. As a driver, the cyclists do scare me riding curvy roads where I don't know what's around every curve :( I wish they'd stick to the provided trails as we do have an extensive trail system (concrete, not nature trail) that connects town to town across 36 miles. But I know they want to get out and just ride to train for races and not be stopping at crossings, so they head out on the curvy 55mph highway.

The lady runner killed a year ago was sadly killed my another avid runner. I don't think he was charged. It was dusk and he made a right turn out of a driveway while looking to his left for traffic (she was coming from the right). I know there have been arrests though after pedestrian hit-and-runs where they caught the person later.

I hope drivers are learning to look both ways, even when making a right, for pedestrians. And of course when I'm the pedestrian, I make eye-contact before crossing a vehicle. It's a hard transition to become pedestrian/cyclist friendly, especially for those who are never a pedestrian themselves.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

I hope drivers are learning to look both ways, even when making a right, for pedestrians. And of course when I'm the pedestrian, I make eye-contact before crossing a vehicle. It's a hard transition to become pedestrian/cyclist friendly, especially for those who are never a pedestrian themselves.

That's exactly the type of person I yelled at. They were making a right out of a bank, crossing a freaking sidewalk, and only looking left. I still see so many people only looking left when making right turns it drives me crazy. Often, I give the universal 'wtf are you doing?!' hand gesture (hands out to my side, palms up, with the evil eye, lol) if I do actually get them to look my way
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Where I live, pedestrians and cyclists are seen as lesser than drivers. When pedestrians or cyclists are hit by a vehicle, nothing happens even when the driver was clearly negligent. The only case I ever saw where the driver was held somewhat accountable was when a cyclist was killed when run over by a drunk driver. I'm not even sure the driver was charged with the death, just with driving drunk. Also, the guy was not a cyclist technically - was camping that night on private property when the vehicle left the roadway and ran over his tent. It just happens he was camping while on a week long cycling trip for an established and large ride.

Another cyclist last year nearby was hit and killed. The driver came up behind him and just kept driving. Driver says he just didn't see the cyclist, which was literally right in front of him. 7 months later, he was just given a traffic ticket. That's it!

Also recently, a driver in the next state over hit and killed a runner, then left the scene. He wasn't charged with anything at all because he claims he thought he hit a deer so he just kept on driving. Seriously?!

In my county last year, a driver hit a runner and killed her. She was running as part of the high school cross country team and doing a training run. Naturally, there was much public sympathy for the driver and a lot of outrage at the school for allowing their runners to go out and run. Nobody was asking why the driver didn't pay attention.

In the northern part of my state, a cyclist was hit and killed - similar story where he drove up behind a cyclist and drove right on through the bike and rider as though it wasn't there. Says he was distracted by his kid in the back seat. No charges.

Yet another driver who killed a cyclist and not charged is now being praised by the public for encouraging a law for bicycles in this state to use rear lights / flags. Sure - blame the bikes for your inability to pay attention to what is on the road in front of you...

Long story short: Drivers are allowed to negligently killed recreational users of roads without penalty. It has bothered me for some time now.

@midwesterner85
    It happens here in Texas too. A man who negligently didn't take his diabetes medication drove to Target and had a diabetic seizure while driving in the parking lot. He injured a few people and killed a 7 year old girl. I was in the store with my son, checking out at the time when I heard the crash. He ended up driving over the top of the right half of a car. (There was a guy in the parked car. Luckily, he was on the side nit smashed by the driver having a seizure, but was illegally parked in a handicapped space.) It was horrifying!! No murder conviction for him either. I'm sorry, but if you have a known medical condition that causes seizures and you don't take your medicine that prevents those seizures and you go out and kill a child, you deserve to go to jail! My step daughter has epilepsy and she takes the bus and gets rides no matter thr inconbenience because it would be too dangerous for her to drive since she could have a seizure at any time without warning.
  • greenolivetree
    Options

That's exactly the type of person I yelled at. They were making a right out of a bank, crossing a freaking sidewalk, and only looking left. I still see so many people only looking left when making right turns it drives me crazy. Often, I give the universal 'wtf are you doing?!' hand gesture (hands out to my side, palms up, with the evil eye, lol) if I do actually get them to look my way

Yes, I've now come to think you're more likely to get hit by someone going right and looking left at traffic while they turn.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

@midwesterner85
    It happens here in Texas too. A man who negligently didn't take his diabetes medication drove to Target and had a diabetic seizure while driving in the parking lot. He injured a few people and killed a 7 year old girl. I was in the store with my son, checking out at the time when I heard the crash. He ended up driving over the top of the right half of a car. (There was a guy in the parked car. Luckily, he was on the side nit smashed by the driver having a seizure, but was illegally parked in a handicapped space.) It was horrifying!! No murder conviction for him either. I'm sorry, but if you have a known medical condition that causes seizures and you don't take your medicine that prevents those seizures and you go out and kill a child, you deserve to go to jail! My step daughter has epilepsy and she takes the bus and gets rides no matter thr inconbenience because it would be too dangerous for her to drive since she could have a seizure at any time without warning.

Actually, that isn't what causes diabetic seizures - it is the opposite. Seizures result hypoglycemia, which occurs from taking too much medication. That's obviously an over-simplification, as it may have been that the timing of the dose didn't match food; or it could be that exercise dropped BG; or it could be that a correction bolus was over-calculated. Or one of many other possibilities. Diabetics who take insulin can not prevent every hypoglycemic episode... I've had diabetes for more than 2 decades. However, we need to know when to recognize the symptoms of hypoglycemia and respond. That's the part where the driver failed.
  • BeeerRunner
    Options
    Well, my weekday running routes are the typical 20 mph suburban neighborhood roads. Fortunately our streets are wide and drivers don't go too fast. I run facing traffic and shining my headlamp at drivers seems to work if I feel they are too close. I'm only in the neighborhood for a short time before a get to a local park with a running path. Slow walkers hogging the entire path are my issue. When I come up saying On Your Left, some decide to move left. One lady did this on Monday, so I was going to run in between her and her husband instead, but right at the last second, while looking over her shoulder at me, she decided to move right, directly in my path. I nearly ran her over. Ugh!

On the weekends, I go to more scenic locations. My favorite place to do my long runs is a path along the river. You can do an out and back run for well over 20 miles. There are parts thatbare urban with restaurants and bars along the path with lots of other runners and cyclists. There is a concrete path that the cyclists typically stay on and a wide crushed gravel path that runners tend to use. The paths are nice and wide so there are no issues in running people over. Here are some pics:

xadke9fayvgh.jpg
    s09y45cv3pv1.jpg
    rktdkkdl7ru7.jpg
    wm5k40ixeh2f.jpg
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    16 down!

exercise.png
  • BeeerRunner
    Options

@midwesterner85

Actually, that isn't what causes diabetic seizures - it is the opposite. Seizures result hypoglycemia, which occurs from taking too much medication. That's obviously an over-simplification, as it may have been that the timing of the dose didn't match food; or it could be that exercise dropped BG; or it could be that a correction bolus was over-calculated. Or one of many other possibilities. Diabetics who take insulin can not prevent every hypoglycemic episode... I've had diabetes for more than 2 decades. However, we need to know when to recognize the symptoms of hypoglycemia and respond. That's the part where the driver failed.

I definitely am not an expert on diabetes and am just trying to simplify the story. the news reported that he was diabetic, didn't take his medication that morning, and had an episode where he had a seizure, slamming on the gas while unconscious, injuring pedestrians and killing a child. The point was that it wasn't a 1st for him, he knew he had a condition, and went out and drove anyway, and didnt get convicted of murder. I'm definitely no expert and trust whatever you say caused it.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    OK, I will share pictures of one of my morning routes. This is the route I typically do on Tuesday mornings with my Brueggers group.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10513841/where-i-run-tue-brueggers-route

When I get time, I will share some more routes with you guys.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    2/1 - 7 - hip hurt 0 miles
    2/8 - 3 miles

3 out of 100 miles

exercise.png

@stoshew71 except you don't see any of that on your run because it's dark. Hey I think one of those cars might be me! ha ha just kidding.

gotta go back and catch up on reading
  • greenolivetree
    edited February 2017
    Options
    When I come up saying On Your Left, some decide to move left. One lady did this on Monday, so I was going to run in between her and her husband instead, but right at the last second, while looking over her shoulder at me, she decided to move right, directly in my path. I nearly ran her over.

This reminded me of another situation we had. Runner stopped abruptly on a concrete trail, cyclist behind ran them over, causing serious injury to both. I think the cyclist may have been hurt worse? One of them sued the other and they fought over who was at fault. So when I'm trail running, I keep that in mind that a cyclist behind me could run me over if I stop. LOL I always get scared by cyclist to. Whether they follow the rules and say "On your left" or ring a bell, or just blow by without warning, all of the above make me jump :D But I always call out a thanks to the ones who follow trail rules and announce they are passing.

I scared an old lady myself running the other day (she was walking) as I passed her. I gave warning and she already knew I was on the trail, but it scared her anyway.

OH! And pretty pics by the way. I love the buildings in the distance.