What is the daftest weight related thing someone has ever said to you?

Options

Replies

• Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I have considerably more hair (past my butt!) and use ACV once or twice a month. Love it to death! Makes my hair so soft and shiny! Also good if the ends of your hair are "crunchy" (especially when you have long hair, the ends don't get much natural oil from your scalp)

But the whole ACV for weight loss is laughable. I wish it were that simple!

Serious question: Do you use raw unfiltered ACV for this, or does it not really matter? My hair could definitely use some extra softness and shine...

I use distilled white vinegar duluted(1 cup water 1tbsp vinegar) and it makes my hair soft and my scarp doesn't get excessively oily anymore.

Thanks! Do you need to rinse it out after, or is it an "apply and towel dry" type of deal?

Leave it on for a couple minutes and rinse. I also use homemade shampoo because commercial shampoos irritate my scalp.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I once had someone tell me that because they're diabetic they can drink *excessive* amounts of alcohol and its ok because they take insulin. They also told me that if they drink alcohol with food they can eat more of the things diabetics shouldn't eat - high starch foods, high sugar foods, etc.

I am not diabetic but I am pretty sure those who are insulin dependent are told they should rarely ever drink, if at all.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    mir1104 wrote: »
    My junior at work just yesterday said "drinking water helps flush the adipose liquid that is on our bellies"...I preferred to ask none about this obscure "adipose liquid".
    All I can think about is Doctor Who

Thanks, I thought I was the only one. Memories of that episode come rolling back
    That episode btw is perfect as the daftest weight related thing ever If you want to know what they look like See them here in the episode they kinda crept out of your body The episode is Partners in crime
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    I think that's the first time I've ever heard it described as "exhilarating"... ;)
    Think of it as a "side effect" of all my years coaching people to cause... discomfort to others. ;)

• cqbkaju
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have considerably more hair (past my butt!) and use ACV once or twice a month. Love it to death! Makes my hair so soft and shiny! Also good if the ends of your hair are "crunchy" (especially when you have long hair, the ends don't get much natural oil from your scalp)

Serious question: Do you use raw unfiltered ACV for this, or does it not really matter? My hair could definitely use some extra softness and shine...
    Raw with "the mother" in it is what I settled on.
    You need to dilute it though, like 2 water to 1 ACV or maybe 3:1

I leave it on my hair / scalp after washing and then rinse it off when I am about to get out of the shower.

• sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    "You lose weight in the kitchen, not by exercising."

This is true. you can cardio all day and weight train all day if you are eating more calories than you use you will not change.

this is why weight watchers and so many fad diets work without ever working out. Its all about what you eat.

Now if you want to look good naked not just lose weight you must exercise esp weight lift.
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    (1) Offering me a biscuit which I said no thanks to "go on, one won't hurt you!" (2) telling me to stop losing weight because I am getting too thin - when I am still overweight with a stone more to lose. They don't mean any harm but my health is important to me and I don't need or want a biscuit, it will not be only one, believe me, I know!!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    I once had someone tell me that because they're diabetic they can drink *excessive* amounts of alcohol and its ok because they take insulin. They also told me that if they drink alcohol with food they can eat more of the things diabetics shouldn't eat - high starch foods, high sugar foods, etc.

I am not diabetic but I am pretty sure those who are insulin dependent are told they should rarely ever drink, if at all.

Scary! The diabetic I knew who drank alcohol died at age 24. :'(
  • cqbkaju
    edited February 2017
    Options
    jamocha101 wrote: »
    This guy was a chiropractor by the way.
    One of my closest friends (brother by Ohana) is a chiropractor.

He spends much of his free time in continuing education classes and working with a group of other DCs to stop this sort of pseudoscience because it makes them look bad.

Some of the worst ones try to sell $100 pillows and perform "adjustments" on babies!

It seems one of the biggest issues he faces is the number of people who WANT to believe in this sort of woo-woo.

The lure of quick money is a motivator for some to engage in practices like these but the scary people are those who really *believe* the stuff.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    sarahbums wrote: »
    at first this thread had me cracking up, but now there's 6 pages of these "alternative facts" and i'm just losing faith in humanity

I look at this is the same regard, especially considering that the primary culprits of spreading such nonsense are those in the mainstream media.
  • thejadegirl
    thejadegirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options

I do. Bragg's is the most popular (and easily found in the grocery store!)

I shampoo my scalp (I don't shampoo my ends because it just dries them out), then I pour ACV diluted with water in my hair and massage throrougly. I use 2 parts water to 1 part ACV, but you can dilute it further. I let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse. You don't need conditioner, the vinegar works kind of like one, and detangles your hair. It really smells! But the smell goes away as your hair dries. ;)
  • akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    EDIT: I was also once told that corn is bad for you because the stalk causes it to "grow in the dark."
    What is that even supposed to mean?!

Supposedly that the husk leaves shield the corn from sunlight, and supposedly that makes it bad for you somehow. He said the same thing about other "hidden" foods like peanuts, pecans, etc. Anything with a shell that "grows in the dark."

This guy was a chiropractor by the way.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner in the category! :D
  • akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I did once get told that I wouldn't be able to lose weight until after I had babies (the woman in question was constantly at me for not wanting kids) because "your body wants to have babies, so it's hanging onto the stores to grow and feed them".

I was once told something similar: having babies would "flush out" all the fat. But the person who told me that was a pre-teen trying to be supportive, so they get a pass.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Leave it on for a couple minutes and rinse. I also use homemade shampoo because commercial shampoos irritate my scalp.
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Raw with "the mother" in it is what I settled on.
    You need to dilute it though, like 2 water to 1 ACV or maybe 3:1

I leave it on my hair / scalp after washing and then rinse it off when I am about to get out of the shower.
    I do. Bragg's is the most popular (and easily found in the grocery store!)

I shampoo my scalp (I don't shampoo my ends because it just dries them out), then I pour ACV diluted with water in my hair and massage throrougly. I use 2 parts water to 1 part ACV, but you can dilute it further. I let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse. You don't need conditioner, the vinegar works kind of like one, and detangles your hair. It really smells! But the smell goes away as your hair dries. ;)

Thanks all...very helpful stuff. Hopefully, my hair will be thanking you too! ;)