What is the daftest weight related thing someone has ever said to you?

Options

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    akamran1 wrote: »
    I did once get told that I wouldn't be able to lose weight until after I had babies (the woman in question was constantly at me for not wanting kids) because "your body wants to have babies, so it's hanging onto the stores to grow and feed them".

I was once told something similar: having babies would "flush out" all the fat. But the person who told me that was a pre-teen trying to be supportive, so they get a pass.

Though, it's sad whoever taught her that.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    I once had someone tell me that because they're diabetic they can drink *excessive* amounts of alcohol and its ok because they take insulin. They also told me that if they drink alcohol with food they can eat more of the things diabetics shouldn't eat - high starch foods, high sugar foods, etc.

I am not diabetic but I am pretty sure those who are insulin dependent are told they should rarely ever drink, if at all.

Scary! The diabetic I knew who drank alcohol died at age 24. :'(

Well she is mid-late 30s and she has already had to have her gums grafted because they were starting to pull away from her teeth . . . which is common among diabetics who don't take care of themselves.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    jamocha101 wrote: »
    EDIT: I was also once told that corn is bad for you because the stalk causes it to "grow in the dark."

How curious.

Especially because I believe corn (the plant) in fact does only grow in the dark - ie at night. I was told this in connection with trying to grow it where I live - there's only enough sunshine for it in the middle of summer, but at these latitudes, there's very little darkness at that time of year, so while it's getting the energy, it doesn't have much time to actually put on the growth. You can grow it, but it's a gamble, if you get a bad summer it won't come to anything.

I wonder if that is connected or if it's just vague superstitious feeling about "creepy" things that "grow in the dark". I, too, am mystified about what you could actually eat with that rule.
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I want to ask all the acv thread starters where they are getting their info from. Just curious

I saw an ad for it on facebook.

Was it Bragg's?

Bragg's is an ACV that also has "The Mother" in it. It's supposed to be organic, and natural hair gurus swear by it. My son found it was good for growing vinegar eels for a science project :o:s

I think vinegar is good for making dressings, but the science project for me was nope, nope, nope.....
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    MomReborn wrote: »
    I want to ask all the acv thread starters where they are getting their info from. Just curious

I saw an ad for it on facebook.

Was it Bragg's?

Bragg's is an ACV that also has "The Mother" in it. It's supposed to be organic, and natural hair gurus swear by it. My son found it was good for growing vinegar eels for a science project :o:s

I think vinegar is good for making dressings, but the science project for me was nope, nope, nope.....

Vinegar eels make excellent fish food, especially for fry (baby fish).
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Friend swore to me they were unable to lose weight because of a "sluggish metabolism". That they were under their calories for the day, as they dug into a full size Applebee's sampler platter...
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My parents can be really cruel sometimes so my mom told me I should quit food for 10 days and start a water diet so then I'll look good
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I dont know if there's any scientific explanation for this but my mum's like I don't have proper flow during my periods because the fat around my belly obstructs it. Lol. I dont have PCOS or thyroid I think I've damaged my body in the past by overexercising and undereating and that's the only reason why my flow is so less!
  • mehani48
    mehani48 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    eyleene wrote: »
    "Sugar is as addictive as heroin."

pertsonally i find this very true .... but i have also heard

SUGAR DOESNT MAKE YOU FAT .

Have you ever taken heroin? Have you ever spent time with people who are addicted and seen first hand what it does to them? Have you ever left your family, alienated your friends and committed a felony so you can get your sugar fix? Have you ever sold your car or your belongings so you can buy a cake?

• nanwizoz
    nanwizoz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a friend tell me once , "you have been on a diet so many times, you think you would be good at it by now"