Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the 'fat acceptance' movement a good thing?

Replies

• 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Theo166 wrote: »
    [
    aelunyu wrote: »
    Much of it is bogged down by pure laziness

As you can see, I am taking this out of context, but, is it "pure laziness", or is it something simpler, maybe hopelessness, on those of us who are morbidly obese, or even just overweight. There really is not a simple answer to this, but also, there is no excuse for rudeness and intolerance. It is up to each of us how we choose to control the aspects of our physical and emotional selves. How each of us treats others, is a direct reflection upon ourselves. The golden rule applies, "do unto others, as you would have others do unto you". Judging is pointless and uncalled for. Perfection is unobtainable.

@3rdof7sisters you make good points. Pure laziness is seldom likely to be the cause of obesity. I have never seen a case that was not triggered at least in part by an underlying health issue and obesity came later.

Complete BS, I was knocking on the door of Type III Obesity and never had an underlying physical issue. For the vast majority of obese people, it's about the choices they make.

I'm now choosing to lose weight and have lost 20lbs so far this year.

This is BS. How do you know the choices the vast majority of people make? You know the choices you make. No one else. You can not speak for anyone, but yourself. You can not even to pretend to know what goes on in anyone else's life. Quit judging others by what you can or can not do. You are doing it, and that is admirable, good for you. How is it your place to condemn whether or not someone else is able to accomplish what you are accomplishing?

• 3rdof7sisters
    edited February 2017
    [

As you can see, I am taking this out of context, but, is it "pure laziness", or is it something simpler, maybe hopelessness, on those of us who are morbidly obese, or even just overweight. There really is not a simple answer to this, but also, there is no excuse for rudeness and intolerance. It is up to each of us how we choose to control the aspects of our physical and emotional selves. How each of us treats others, is a direct reflection upon ourselves. The golden rule applies, "do unto others, as you would have others do unto you". Judging is pointless and uncalled for. Perfection is unobtainable.

@3rdof7sisters you make good points. Pure laziness is seldom likely to be the cause of obesity. I have never seen a case that was not triggered at least in part by an underlying health issue and obesity came later.

Complete BS, I was knocking on the door of Type III Obesity and never had an underlying physical issue. For the vast majority of obese people, it's about the choices they make.

This is BS. How do you know the choices the vast majority of people make? You know the choices you make. No one else. You can not speak for anyone, but yourself. You can not even to pretend to know what goes on in anyone else's life. Quit judging others by what you can or can not do. You are doing it, and that is admirable, good for you. How is it your place to condemn whether or not someone else is able to accomplish what you are accomplishing?

Show me some evidence there is a biological change in our species that has tripled obesity among our youth, just since the 70's.

Or you can admit it's about our lifestyle choices as a society. And don't project that I'm blaming today's people for being more weak willed, I recognize that in decades past our lifestyles required/enabled more physical activity and processed foods were much less available.

Humans have gotten bigger over time. It is part of evolution. Nothing new. You claimed that for the "vast majority of obese people, it's about the choices they make." There is no way you can determine this, with certainty. There are so many factors that may enter into this. All I am saying is that no one can be certain about anyone else's situation. Only themselves. None of us has the right to project our successes, or failures, onto anyone else.

Everyone has the right to be accepted as they are.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited February 2017
    I, too, think it's really dangerous.

While I am all for loving yourself and accepting yourself for who you are I am also a huge advocate for being healthy. Being healthy doesn't mean everyone looks the same or is the same size, I just mean you're at a healthy weight long term and your body is able to sustain it. Those numbers will be different for everyone.

Recently I started watching My Big Fat Fabulous Life. I know it's been on for a while but I don't have cable so this was an android box stream binge for me lol. Anyways, most recently there was a woman on there who accused everyone in Whitney's life of being enablers and to some degree I have to agree. She isn't healthy, period. She started the No Body Shame movement . . which is really cool. However she is almost 400lbs (at the end of the 3rd season), pre-diabetic (if not already), and isn't taking her weight loss seriously. She blames so much of why she is big on PCOS which while it makes it hard to lose weight it isn't impossible. Many women with PCOS live their life at a relatively healthy weight. She had a pregnancy scare at the beginning of the most recent season and I don't know if she could even bring a baby to term, she'd be a very high-risk pregnancy. It's not good for her to be that big. No, not all of us will be 100lbs and 5'3 but we can be healthy for our bodies. For example I am 5'10 and weigh 250lbs. By standards I am obese, and unhealthy. I have over 150lbs of LBM on me so for me to weigh in at 160lbs like the BMI says I should I would legitimately be skin and bones. So something like 185-195 is more realistic for me. I will (hopefully!!!) look amazing at 195lbs and perhaps look like I weigh much less but I will also have reduced the amount of BF I have on me. It's not necessarily about the weight, or size. It's about being healthy. And in a world where obesity is quickly becoming the number one health concern we need to be far more conscious of it than ever before.

Anyways, I don't agree with the Fat Acceptance Movement. I agree with recognizing - and celebrating - that we are not all the same and won't weigh the same or look the same at the same weight buuuuuut I think to celebrate being obese and saying it's ok, as long as you love yourself is cause for long term issues. For example, people in their 20s and 30s who are 50, 75, 100lbs over weight at that age aren't going to do well long term: they will have serious health issues down the road. And many illnesses can be linked (not necessarily caused by) to long term obesity.

Stay with me here . . . all that being said I am NOT saying it's ok to pick on or bully someone because of their size. That's really not ok at all. We should be encouraging all people to stay active, make proper food (including portion sizes) choices and promote overall well being. Overall I don't think the fat acceptance movement is good because it's basically saying it's ok to be unhealthy, to be a burden on the health care system, to put that undue stress on your joints and organs. It's not ok and we need to move this focus to a health acceptance movement.

ETA: I was thinking about this but I wasn't exactly sure how to say it so I'm just going to throw it up exactly as it comes to mind.

A lot of people who are obese - to the point of it causing health issues - are viewed as though it's not their fault; as in we can't blame them for being unhealthy, society has made them this way; she overeats because she's so stressed and she can't deal with the stress levels "life" is causing her and so on.

While she may legitimately not handle stress well, or maybe life has thrown something crazy at someone and they dealt with it by turning to food . . . it is a direct result of choices we make. Everyone is coming to the conclusion that while smoking is an addiction it is also a choice and it can be overcome with will power, counseling (if need be), and time. Smokers, or others who suffer from substance abuse, can kick the habit so to speak but they have to want to do it.

With people who are seriously overweight it is a direct result of their choices. You can choose to stop at the drive through on the way home, or you can choose to go home and eat the portioned, pre-planned meal you know is waiting for you. Either way it's a choice. It is a really dangerous and slippery slope to say that's just the way someone is when it's really their life choices that has lead them here. Sure, some people have different metabolisms and diets but we make the choice of what to put in our mouth. Choices we don't make are things like our eye colour, how tall we are, whether we have freckles, whether we're left handed or right handed. I know I got to be 350lbs because I chose not to be in control of what I put in my mouth and how often I exercised. I made that choice not to choose and that had to change.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    [

Show me some evidence there is a biological change in our species that has tripled obesity among our youth, just since the 70's.

Or you can admit it's about our lifestyle choices as a society. And don't project that I'm blaming today's people for being more weak willed, I recognize that in decades past our lifestyles required/enabled more physical activity and processed foods were much less available.

Humans have gotten bigger over time. It is part of evolution. Nothing new. You claimed that for the "vast majority of obese people, it's about the choices they make." There is no way you can determine this, with certainty. There are so many factors that may enter into this. All I am saying is that no one can be certain about anyone else's situation. Only themselves. None of us has the right to project our successes, or failures, onto anyone else.

Did you really just blame a 50 year old problem on evolution? You do realize that's not how it works, right?

There is no blame for anything. Are you saying that obesity has only been around for 50 years? Not so. I agree that it may be more prevalent, but there are a lot of reasons for that.

All I am saying is don't project your ability to overcome your weight issues onto anyone else. Not everyone is you.

Judging someone else is not anyone's right or responsibility.

And the statistics still show that over 80% of the people that lose the weight, gain it back within 5 years. So clearly, most of us are not able to keep the weight off.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    [

Did you really just blame a 50 year old problem on evolution? You do realize that's not how it works, right?

There is no blame for anything. Are you saying that obesity has only been around for 50 years? Not so. I agree that it may be more prevalent, but there are a lot of reasons for that.

All I am saying is don't project your ability to overcome your weight issues onto anyone else. Not everyone is you.

Judging someone else is not anyone's right or responsibility.

And the statistics still show that over 80% of the people that lose the weight, gain it back within 5 years. So clearly, most of us are not able to keep the weight off.

I'm not keeping mine off either. In fact, I was 150 last summer (my lowest) and am back up to 176 as of this morning. I'll leave out the part where I now have visible abs, and looked like a skinnyfat alien in July.

My point here, is that I wonder how many who regain the weight are actually doing so slowly, intentionally, and building muscle. I actually see a lot of it on MFP, but obviously we can't extrapolate that to the entire population. It does make me curious though.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    [

I asked for evidence of a biological cause, and you imply we've changed as a species within just one generation, primarily in OECD countries. Please cite your sources, you must have some research to back up such a claim.

What I'm reading is are ignoring the epidemiology and are for 'fat acceptance', don't judge anyone else's decisions.

What I'M SAYING is that our modern lifestyle requires more difficult choices, I recognize it's very easy to become obese in the USA.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    I'd heard about this Milo in passing but didn't know what he was about until I watched about 15 minutes of that clip. He seems like a repellent individual. Very hateful and catty. He's not crass. He's just an *kitten*.

As for fat shaming - it doesn't work. That's not to say that we should normalize or accept obesity. I think we have to be clear about the fact that it isn't a sustainably healthy situation to be 100+ lbs overweight.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    [

I asked for evidence of a biological cause, and you imply we've changed as a species within just one generation, primarily in OECD countries. Please cite your sources, you must have some research to back up such a claim.

What I'm reading is are ignoring the epidemiology and are for 'fat acceptance', don't judge anyone else's decisions.

What I'M SAYING is that our modern lifestyle requires more difficult choices, I recognize it's very easy to become obese in the USA.

Seriously? I bow to your superior intelligence. My point was never about how big or small we are as a species and when this developed. My point is that no one has the right to shame anyone else about how short, tall, fat, skinny, color, race, sex, religion, political affiliation, country of origin, etc. The "epidemic of childhood obesity" isn't the only explosion in "one generation". There is also the epidemic of intolerance and common decency that is sadly lacking in society.
  • Gallowmere1984
    [

Seriously? I bow to your superior intelligence. My point was never about how big or small we are as a species and when this developed. My point is that no one has the right to shame anyone else about how short, tall, fat, skinny, color, race, sex, religion, political affiliation, country of origin, etc. The "epidemic of childhood obesity" isn't the only explosion in "one generation". There is also the epidemic of intolerance and common decency that is sadly lacking in society.

If anything, we're actually growing far more tolerant as a whole. I would tell you to just ask the gays, blacks, Japanese, Chinese, etc. who were victims of rampant hate crimes in the times before the 70s-90s, but unfortunately, most of them didn't make it.

I'll take hurt feelers over being dragged behind a vehicle any day.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    [

If anything, we're actually growing far more tolerant as a whole. I would tell you to just ask the gays, blacks, Japanese, Chinese, etc. who were victims of rampant hate crimes in the times before the 70s-90s, but unfortunately, most of them didn't make it.

Really, than why is there a need to have this fat acceptance post?

• Gallowmere1984
    [

Really, than why is there a need to have this fat acceptance post?

Because the fat acceptance movement is a pretty divisive topic, mostly due to the extremists in the group who want obesity to not only be accepted, but normalized and encouraged.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    [

Yeap, I had a severe case of Fork-to-Mouth disease, that was made even worse by the ancillary disorder Fat, Enabling Family.

As soon as I got those cured, my weight magically went from 265 to 150 (pretty rapidly), most of which cut off while sedentary.

I expect obesity was more due to mental than physical states for many or a mixture of the two.
  • divinehipster69
    divinehipster69 Posts: 17 Member
    No, it's not a good thing. Obesity causes medical conditions that cost taxpayers money. Not to mention the heartbreak when a loved one dies over something that could have been prevented. More children have type 2 diabetes than ever before. Obese women that decide to have children before losing weight put their kids at risk for all sorts of crap (I've had friends whose doctors warned them about their diets, their kids almost died because they didn't listen!!). People should be taught how to love their bodies by feeding themselves properly. Otherwise it's just saying, "I don't care if you die from preventable causes." Nothing positive about that!! If you're overweight or obese and working on it, great. But claiming to be at optimal health at a BMI of 30+ is delusional.