WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2017

Replies

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    LENORA and RE - Boiling bacon - who'd have thought this would spark a debate, will have to post picture

DJ - Do plank on my toes must add only doing one at the moment may try 2 today

BIANCA - Agree with DJ 50 is just a number I am 72 in May and feel younger, fitter and stronger than I did in my 50s

Got my appointment for pre-op assessment for cataract operation only took 2 weeks to get the appointment, it's a private hospital but they do NHS referrals.

Kate UK <3
  • spikeyhair
    Already had 2 meals from this and will make a bacon and leek hotpot later

f2re5cd56dsh.jpeg

Kate UK
  • queenegreene
    queenegreene Posts: 1,376 Member
    edited February 2017
    Heather UK I like the way you think. I will plant some ideas in DH :)

My DDD has 2 dogs, too. One lives with me (he is a cute Shiba inu who, she claims, is too 'hyper' to stay with her -since she crashes on friends' sofas without a place of her own) and the other is a small pomeranian that lives in my daughter's purse (at least that's where the pup is on the occasions they both come home for a visit). I love the shiba, but after my dear doggie of 12 years passed 2 years ago, we decided no more dogs for a while so that we could have freedom from the responsibility. ..
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    (((Beth)))
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Good morning friends,

Sending hugs and prayers to all who need them.

Here the thought for the day that I will be reflecting on:

"Sometimes the best thing you can do is not think, not wonder and not obsess. Just breathe and have faith that everything will work out for the best " – Unknown

Carey - Northern Alberta
    "The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,752 Member
    Kim from N CA, spoke to DH and Northern Cali may be our winter home next year! We are wanting to explore the country.

Thanks for all the support on our adventures on the Cuckoo's Nest!

I looked into professional forwarding, but can't justify the cost for mostly junk mail. All my important mail comes via email and pay everything online. My bro can handle what little mail we get until we decide what to do.

Signed buyer agreement and disclosures with seller yesterday, so this is moving right along.
    Dropped off 2 bags at Wellsprings but no purging. Went shopping to get out of the house. Looking for a bike rack for 2 bikes at a reasonable price. Looked at 2 but not sure if we want one to go into the hitch on the RV or attach to the car by straps. Suggestions?

20 min yoga
    136 squats
    3 hours shopping! Lol!

Rita from sunny cold CT

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,081 Member
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-6X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-22X 10 X 30

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Exercise daily and stay under calorie goal!

Keto 3 Week Challenge February 5th-25th
    I am still in ketosis and still burning fat! I am averaging a little over 2 pounds loss per week. I can hardly wait to take my measurements next week!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    :)<3:)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    SSC1958 wrote: »
    Good morning friends,
    Sending hugs and prayers to all who need them.
    Here the thought for the day that I will be reflecting on:

"Sometimes the best thing you can do is not think, not wonder and not obsess. Just breathe and have faith that everything will work out for the best " – Unknown

Carey - Northern Alberta
    "The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James

Needed this today.

Cheri
    BCS, TX
  • shellsarin
    shellsarin Posts: 9 Member
    I am trying to join the Keto group and can't figure out How! Obviously I am new here! Help! Lol!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Kate UK – From the looks of that cut of meat; I’d probably say that I ‘think’ it looks like a boneless pork chop. Would not boil it; but, would pan fry it in just a touch of olive oil. Some would probably dredge it in egg and flour before frying it in a pan. It also looks like a smoked piece of ham; which I would bake in oven like at Thanksgiving, and cut it to make sandwiches for a few days. Or eat cold or hot.

My husband would have to have the ‘fat’ cut off to eat it.

Of course, 'country ham' is different than any other; it is 'aged' and usually a slab with just an 'eye' of bone in it; usually redder in color than any other piece of pork. Would pan fry it; then make 'red eye' gravy - pouring in coffee into the pan with the bits on bottom of pan after frying it and stirring. Then pull the pieces of ham apart, put them on a biscuit which I had poured the 'red eye' gravy over. Good old Southern tradition. Very salty.

Katla – If I use salt pork, to cook collard greens (or turnips or any kind of “greens”) … I might cut off the rind; and pan fry it as the salt would have been drawn out of it to flavor the greens. Normally, I don’t care for it. I’d probably be more likely to get the butcher to cut a couple of pieces of pork to put in it and cut it up in chunks.
    I will cook a ‘smoked’ ham for Thanksgiving and then use the bone to make stock for soup. I’ve done a turkey bone; but, way too many small bits of bone and I have never liked the stock in any type of ‘bean’ soup. It is ok to make soups with rice of parts of the turkey with noodles or dumplings. There again, would have to drain the stock and only put in the larger chunks in the soup. My DMnL would take the turkey bone; boil it down for the stock, take the main carcass out and put in rice or noodles in it; always was the one at the table who bit down on a piece of bone. I'd spoon through it and try to get most of the bones out of the soup.

When Nannie-L used to make chicken and dumplings, I cannot remember where she'd get the 'chicken' from; but, not much used; just remember 'chicken or not' I loved the noodles. Only place I have found that come close is at "Cracker Barrel." DDnL#1 makes her 'chicken and dumplings' using 'noodles'. That is more like chicken and rice to me. Had to laugh at DDnL#2 who made the thick dumplings and when DYS tasted it he said, 'this is the worst I've ever had'. Hurt her feelings, so she did not cook for 3 days. I asked her 'how' she made her dumplings, thick. I told her that was the way I did mine, so I was surprised he did not like them.

Lenora
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member

Carey I will be holding onto this quote for my entire week, thank you! <3

NYKAREN
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Love that CANADAIN UBER! How cute! :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,436 Member
  • spikeyhair
    LENORA - The pic is after the bacon has been cooked and already been sliced for 2 meals Next time I buy this I will take a pic before it's rolled and cooked. BTW it is lovely we both love it

Kate UK
  • fanncy0626
    shellsarin wrote: »
    I am trying to join the Keto group and can't figure out How! Obviously I am new here! Help! Lol!

Are you talking about my three week challenge group? If so here is the link to that.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10507486/keto-3-week-challenge#latest

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,322 Member
    Oh my goodness! I'm only 1256 posts behind. YIKES! I've been on the road for work and have been not taking very good care of myself. No time for "me" stuff when I'm on a go-live project at a hospital. Therefore, I haven't been able to keep up on here. I was eating crappy fast food. Not taking "me" time to rejuvenate and de-stress. Ended up in the ER yesterday with chest pains. I'm fine, but it was a real big warning sign that I need to do some soul searching as to how I am going to move forward in this job. It's just getting too stressful for me. Last time I was this stressed from my job, I ended up with Stage III breast cancer. When I start getting chest pains, something needs to change. I need to at least have some boundaries where when I go home from work, I do not bring work home with me. I have been working day and night for months. I'm just not as young as the others on my team, and I just no longer want to deal with this high stress level.

Anyway, sorry for going off on a little rant there.

I gained 2 lbs and today I am getting back in the saddle again. Weighing, measuring and journaling every bite. I really need to MAKE MYSELF hydrate with water. I am really retaining water right now. Fingers are like little pork sausages. Sure do wish I would win that lottery so I could retire with my husband! :smile:

I will try to take some time later to read at least the most current pages to see what's new with everyone. Just wanted to pop in and say hello and that I'm thinking of you all!

Tracie in sunny Wisconsin watching the snow melt on this beautiful day

February Goals:
    1. Weight less at the end of the month
    2. Begin exercising regularly 3 days a week
    3. More veggies
    4. Begin meditating and finding ways to get some quiet "me" time
    5. HYDRATE WITH WATER!!!!
    6. Work on ridding self of anxiety

2017 Word: Serenity
    (In 2017, I will find a place of peace and serenity in my crazy, busy, stressful life.)
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Good morning-

Sarah - picture the "you" you want to be. Drink tea or sparkling water when they are munching. You can do this! Love the moose uber!

Beth - sorry your hubby is hurting. So many of our DH's are facing health issues.

Carey - really like your thought for the day. It's a really good one.

Mary - when I grow up I want to be like you!!!!!

SueBDew - My yard needs work. Are you coming to Nashville in the near future???

I am missing Sherry's funnies. I hope she returns soon.

Went to the reunion breakfast and was pleased to see my snowbird friend back in town. He came back to help out his granddaughter who is a single mom. He used to bounce around from California to Pennsylvania, Florida and Nashville - from kid to kid. It is a chosen life style. Everything he owns packs in his car and he's off to where ever he wishes. Sometimes I envy him. He seems to have a lot of wonderful family!
    I didn't get to see my son and family because they were at a Farmer's Market Conference. They are in charge of Nashville's largest neighborhood farmer's market from May to Oct. (all volunteer and a great deal of work for my DDIL). I swear, they are always so busy I feel abandoned. I am so happy for those of you who have close relationships with your kids and grandkids.

About turning 50- it was no big deal to me. The birthday that really got me was 35. I felt like I should have the perfect, stable life by then - 2 kids, career, successful husband, home with the picket fence. At that point in my life I had so much regret. Sooooo much better place now! Living contentedly with my reality, doing what I can to change me........

Toni in Tennessee
  • fanncy0626
    Toni- cute! I think you have an awesome start!