March 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    A little late to the party but in for 250km for March. Secondary goal to start working on my technical running especially on extreme inclines since I am now registered on a relay team for leg 2 of CDR :/ . Also to work on Strong Lifts and not die because lent. Pray for me lol

March 1- 15km

15/250km
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited March 2017
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Secondary goal to start working on my technical running especially on extreme inclines since I am now registered on a relay team for leg 2 of CDR :/

@JessicaMcB If you have a Park Pass - Roche Miette Hiking Trail has some steep inclines and lots of Technical Trail running challenges.
    Pyramid Mountain right in Jasper.
    Bald Hills/ Opal Hills by Maligne lake.
    Skyline Trail from Maligne lake to the Maligne Canyon Tea House.
    Maligne Canyon Trail - up one side and down the other side.
    Of course they will all still be snow covered at this time.

Have you ever heard of the Revenge Envy Trail Run event in Edmonton ?
  • JessicaMcB
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Strategic rest day today.

My run time has been issue on the home front lately, since I've been in the upper teens and lower twenties for long runs recently, and running 5 days per week. My wife leaves tomorrow for a 4 day weekend to be with my daughter, so I told her that I'm going to skip my run tonight to hang out with her. I'll just run longer tomorrow night. I miss a run, but I get points and I'll get at least half of those miles back tomorrow.

Besides, my calf has been a bother of late.

ETA: She just texted me back and said "Awwww...<smoochie face emoji>" and then a second text that said "You could do a short run if you wanted to." Now the question is...does she mean it or is this a test??? Ladies...what do you think?

If I say it, I mean it. Run for your life man!
  • JessicaMcB
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Secondary goal to start working on my technical running especially on extreme inclines since I am now registered on a relay team for leg 2 of CDR :/

@JessicaMcB If you have a Park Pass - Roche Miette Hiking Trail has some steep inclines and lots of Technical Trail running challenges.
    Pyramid Mountain right in Jasper.
    Bald Hills/ Opal Hills by Maligne lake.
    Skyline Trail from Maligne lake to the Maligne Canyon Tea House.
    Maligne Canyon Trail - up one side and down the other side.
    Of course they will all still be snow covered at this time.

Have you ever heard of the Revenge Envy Trail Run event in Edmonton ?

Thanks for the Parks tip! Why you gotta link me to races I now have to run? lol ;) .

GC and Jasper are both about as far away as each other relatively speaking so I'm likely going to go out and train leg 2 a few times before August and hit hills in Wilmore and Banff like they owe me money.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Here is the ticker:

exercise.png

Today was a brief run. Just wasn't feeling it... was around 40 degrees and very windy. My hands were extremely cold so I cut this run in half vs. what I had planned.
  • Etherlily1
    Etherlily1 Posts: 974 Member
    Completed my training session for the day. I'm up to three miles completed.

exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    I have discovered a great new way to slow down at least some of my long runs. Find a training partner who is slower and in worse shape than me. He's never done 13 miles before so I'm going to try to get him his first HM distance this weekend. He's signed up for thr same marathon as me, but WAY behind me on training. I don't think taking a long run easy on a cutback week is a bad thing, is it?

Taking a long run easy is never a bad thing.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    @ddmom0811 Glad you're feeling better and were able to finally get out for a run!

@MobyCarp That link was a good read. I have a hard time convincing myself that I need to slow down my long runs as much as I should because in my mind, if I can't (don't) run my marathon race pace during my long runs, I won't be able to do it during the race. I know with the proper training, that likely won't be true so I just need to trust my training and slow things down. Would probably help with injury prevention as well.

@HonuNui Snow! In Hawaii!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    I have discovered a great new way to slow down at least some of my long runs. Find a training partner who is slower and in worse shape than me. He's never done 13 miles before so I'm going to try to get him his first HM distance this weekend. He's signed up for thr same marathon as me, but WAY behind me on training. I don't think taking a long run easy on a cutback week is a bad thing, is it?

Taking a long run easy is never a bad thing.
    That was half meant as a joke,I figured an even slower long run was ok. I need to learn to take it easy and This dude will help with that. Thanks for confirming my thoughts though.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    HonuNui wrote: »
    March goal: lose (another)3lbs

3/1 2.54 + core/strength training

Total: 2.54
    And for any prospective @volcanorunners ......don't forget your snowshoes....
    o4w9ap48nc1a.jpg

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png

@HonuNui
    It snowed?!? In Hawaii?? Has the moon turned to green cheese? This isn't normal is it?? Lol!
  • bmelb1
    bmelb1 Posts: 224 Member
    My main goals for March are to get healthy by doing my physio and incorporating a good strength training program into my workouts (since weak core and butt muscles are what caused the problems I'm having now). Maybe I should see if I can find that old Buns of Steel video and give it a try.

I think I'll set a nominal goal of 50 km of walking/running for this month and see how it goes.

3/1 3.54
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited March 2017
    7 km Wednesday Night Short run with 7 club members. A bit of a cold night @ -25C ( -13F ) for a run, no wind and bright sun made it not so bad. In bound 2 of the ladies in the back of the pack said " step on it guys " when we had about a km left so we had no choice but to push the pace. A nice start to the month.

It's official I am definitely retiring a pair of shoes even though they only have about 320km on them.
    Since I quit using them I no longer get any ankle, calf, or shin niggles.
    Now have 4 pairs sitting in the garage for lawn and garden duties.

03/01 7.0 km –7.0km –133.0 km – YTD 187.55 – Run on the dike

exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    01 Mar – 12.6 km
    02 Mar – 2.6 km + 1200 metres swimming

Goal: 100 miles / 160 km, including my first 30 km run.
    Total: 15.2 km
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »

ETA: She just texted me back and said "Awwww...<smoochie face emoji>" and then a second text that said "You could do a short run if you wanted to." Now the question is...does she mean it or is this a test??? Ladies...what do you think?

DO NOT DO A SHORT RUN. I repeat, DO NOT DO A SHORT RUN.

Tell her, 'no that's okay honey, I'd rather spend the time with you'

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    a short run this morning. Still not feeling the running love, which is awkward as I need to do 9 miles at the weekend, AND a friend wants to do a long hike, AND the weather looks bad.

All this talk of pacing is useful. I know I need to slow down, although it doesn't FEEL like I need to, but from what I've read, feel isn't always the best indicator. I need to suck it up and do a max HR test, but my HR seems to be around 175 on most runs which doesn't seem good to me!!

But I think time on feet is the most important thing, so I'm trying to aim more for time spent out moving than miles actually hit. So given that I'm struggling with the whole running thing and getting back into it, I'll do a run/walk at the weekend for a couple of hours. so say 9 minutes run, 1 minute walk, repeat 12 times.

and another thing - I did a T'ai Chi class last night - wow. now I hurt!! It looks so gentle!!!!
  • hannahbananna80
    hannahbananna80 Posts: 21 Member
    exercise.png

Little by little I'll get there! I do short runs in the morning before work with the dog as my companion. Then hopefully a bigger one on the weekends. Eventually I'll manage 2-3 miles before work, but I need to build myself up!

1.33 miles yesterday
    1.61 today

Good luck everyone