WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2017

Replies

• grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    edited March 2017
    Debgigi -Welcome! you don't have to do anything to join. Posting in the forum as you did is enough. Well that and the secret handshake. ;-)
    Tell us what we should call you. And where you're located is nice.

-- Ginger in Texas
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Hello ladies,
    Pulled an early shift so home before the sunsets, what a treat. Did a standing ab workout or so it was titled and then they did those rotten mountain climbers uggh. Anyway a 200k burn.

Still feeling under the weather.

Enjoy reading all your posts. You are all amazing women!

<3 Sarah, Ontario
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    :flowerforyou:
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Hi all - I've got to share this little story ... My boys grew up going to Catholic Churches and Parochial Schools; neither one is married to a Catholic.

DDnL#2 is a cosmetologist in Natchez, MS; and, one of the ladies she does hair for brought her teenage daughter in to get a haircut and style; which meant she also had her hair washed. She got a rag out, put straight shampoo on it and started rubbing the 'dirt' off the girl's head. She asked her what she was doing? Tami tells her that she had some dirt on her forehead and was just trying to get it off. The girls starts laughing; Tami follows her out to the main part of the salon and the girl is still laughing; first thing her Mother asks is, 'where are your Ashes'. She told her "Tami washed them off; well, she 'scrubbed' them off." Come to find out they always get their pictures made as a family with their Cross of Ashes on their forehead. She was so embarrassed and said she did not know what it meant. They said it was the Beginning of Lent, and then left. She goes home and tells Will about it and he burst out laughing. "Tami, the 'dirt' was the sign of the Cross and most Catholic leave them on all day as it is the beginning of Lent." Shrove Tuesday is the end of Mardi Gras; when you do what you are going to have to give up for Lent. Give up eating certain foods, smoking cigarettes, or drinking, etc.. She said, 'oh, so that is why they were laughing at me'. All I was trying to do was get the 'dirt' off her face.

She then called us and told us about it. We were both laughing. She had heard the stories of Shrove Tuesday and it being the End of Mardi Gras; but, never knew what it meant. Louis was telling her that Shrove Tuesday is when all the partying (reveling) went on because people were going to 'give up something' for Lent (40 days) starting on "Ash Wednesday". She asked him, like what? He said eating certain foods, drinking, smoking, (then he really started playing with her); and, said, 'oh things like having sex and kissing'. She said, 'uh, Papa; Mallory's in the car, so he quickly changed the subject; things like gossiping, anything that you normally do that might have become a 'habit' you want to break. She felt so bad about it. I told her 'don't worry about it, she can always go back and have them done again'. She'd just be 'blessed' twice.

Lenora
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Ginger in Texas. How can I find that calendar on Facebook? I want to have something like that on my tablet
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Tami said there was so much that Will had never told him about his 'faith'. I grew up Baptist; and, wanted Louis to take me to the Catholic Church. We then went through Catechism classes together. His first wife had no problem signing papers for the Church to set their marriage aside. They were not married in the Church. Lots of paperwork; but, her 2nd husband was a Catholic and they were bring his daughter up in the Catholic Church. She had used that as a ruse to allow him to let her husband adopt her so people would not ask why her name was different. However, Louis knew there was a lot more to it than that and would not agree to it. But, it would give his 'ex' the right to 'actually join' the Catholic faith, although she had been doing it all along.

Lenora
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    MIA ~ Love your pictures. You and your hubby look so young and handsome.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Mia - Loved all the pixs. Lucky girl!
  • Katla49
    Mia: I agree with Peach. You and your DH look fabulous! <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,326 Member
    Mia, great photo of you and DH - lucky you swimming with the dolphins! That wedding ring "ain't too shabby" ;) Congrats on 30 years and here's to 30 more!!

Heather, that's the pits about that gal messing up your check deposit. And that attitude when you went back - ugh. Give me her phone number and I'll pretend she's a telemarketer -- I'll give her supervisor a nice jingle and you'll have it corrected immediately! >:)

Katiebug, your grands are so cute! They should get first place for representing their characters so precisely (if they give prizes.) Love your sunshine - we're in for a cold rainy (possibly snowy!) week.

Becca, congrats on the certificates! Your TOPS group sounds like a lot of fun and very supportive.

Lenora, I went to Methodist churches throughout my life and the last one I attended had an "Ash Wednesday" service so we'd get ashes on our foreheads as well. We had an older pastor who really made the religion "come alive" - she passed away several years ago after an illness and I think about her still.

Becca and Lenora, I wanted to mention - how neat your boys' intellectual capabilities were recognized and you were able to work with them and encourage them. I think my DH is pretty sharp but as a child, his family was quite dysfunctional and he joined a gang (this is not the drug gangs we have today, he could have played an extra in "Grease" - some drinking and fighting, hot rods, girls.... This was in the 1950's and early 60's. Certainly no incentive or parental encouragement to study hard, go to college, or even finish high school.)

Thank goodness he joined the Marines - that really turned him around.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Katla49
    Mia: You and your DH look fabulous. <3<3<3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    :)Mia, you and your husband look fabulous...also you and the dolphin

:)Heather, we had a similar experience a few years ago when our bank showed a $1.000.00 deposit as a withdrawal and we got no sympathy and had to wait a week for it to be corrected...also loved the family photos you posted.

:)Katiebug, your grandchildren look adorable

<3 Barbie
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,045 Member
    edited March 2017
    Dr. Katiebug quite familiar with those characters as an elementary teacher. Darling.

Mia love the pictures.

On the subject of vegetables, I mentioned the book Eating on the Wildside. The author discusses how we are programmed to like sweet foods. The food industry answered by trying to make our vegetables sweeter. The problem is the more bitter a food is the more likely it will fight against cancer. After watching my DH suffer the past three days because he lost a kidney to kidney cancer I have to say I am even more motivated to eat right. I realize I may end with cancer regardless. I just want to do what I can to lower my chances. I also told you about the young man who broke a hip at fifteen and had herniated discs in his back partly due to a poor diet. When he reversed his diet his health improved dramatically his discs were no longer a problem. Food sometimes is medicine. Maybe thinking of it in that way might make it easier for those who dislike vegetable to look at them in another light.Sometimes preparing them in different ways and using spices and herbs can help too. Fortunately I like all vegetables except for eggplant and split pea soup.I had roasted vegetables for lunch and cooked some green peppers for dinner. YUM! Time to cook some blueberries in maple syrup for dessert.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,748 Member
    spikeyhair wrote: »
    Anyone else had this feeling of I'm fed up with this, I want to eat anything I like and to h**ll with it

Kate UK

Yes, Kate ... on a very frequent basis (like today) ... but we don't give up ... because the alternative is not pretty.

Mia ... I think the photos are wonderful and really like those of you with the dolphins!! Your expression with them speaks volumes.

Beth near Buffalo

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,521 Member
    Aaaaa
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Hard work again today. Still not finished. I am beginning to think we will never get finished.
    For month of February, I lost 3.2# and 2 inches. I did get sidetracked for a few days but am back on the rails again going back to catch up on the posts.
    SueBDew in TX.