What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Replies

• Demenseotf
    Demenseotf Posts: 8 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Whats the serving?

15g for the mayo.
  • mir1104
    mir1104 Posts: 101 Member
    Non dairy (soy-based) cream...I thought the thing was like water and beans. I was completely wrong, 141 calories for 100g and a tablespoon is 25g, do the math!
  • Demenseotf
    Demenseotf Posts: 8 Member
    Demenseotf wrote: »
    Whats the serving?

15g for the mayo.

You do realize that is not even a teaspoon right?

Isn't a teaspoon 5mL (hope that's right as its how I measure out oil)? 15g of mayo would be more than that. Anyway I only use it for sandwiches where 15-25g is generally enough.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Actually, I've been pretty surprised by how low-cal a lot of the recipes I use are. A huge slice of lasagna, for instance, is only 350 calories! And a cup and a half of beef stew is about 200. Considering how filling both of those are, I was pretty amazed!

A huge slice of my homemade lasagna is well over 600.
  • Sassafras106
    Sassafras106 Posts: 73 Member
    Avocado
  • maurihart
    maurihart Posts: 51 Member
    Peanut butter. It makes me so sad.
  • BadonkadonkBooty
    BadonkadonkBooty Posts: 1 Member
    I treated myself to a 6oz hero burger today on (a ciabatta bun with goat cheese) and a poutine (where I finished all the cheese, but only about half the fries and gravy) and of course a soda, since it's a treat; it added up to more than 1700 calories! I'm short, about 5'2", and realizing how I gained 20lbs in the last six months or so!
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    I guess I was shocked, but not quite so shocked at the calories in Pizza Hut chicken wings.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    rosy003 wrote: »
    Strawberries! I just entered 1 c fresh strawberries and it is 200 calories!

I am almost certain that's wrong.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member

It's more like 50 calories for a cup...(usda)

I have been certainly become much more conscientious now that I log everything!
    Sad about nuts/seeds and nut butters, oatmeal- grains in general/ quinoa, beans - love chickpeas but lots of carby-calories here too, dates, avocado, Starbuck's -food/beverages...everything :(
  • FatPorkyChop
    FatPorkyChop Posts: 83 Member
    Wraps ....
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    The chicken pie I made last night. I couldn't be bothered to make the pastry so used shop bought,ready rolled stuff. The pastry was 365 calories per 100 grams and I used the entire 450 gram pack so one portion of pie was nearly 1000 calories! :o
  • mandy_godfree
    mandy_godfree Posts: 71 Member
    I was really shocked that some of those "breakfast bars" which constantly advertise as "healthy" are jam packed with sugar and some of them have nearly as many calories as chocolate.

Also flavoured water, full of sugar and huge.y calorie intensive for what you're having. You're better off to mix fruit juice with water.

Sausage rolls, I knew had a lot of calories, but just how many shocked me. Some sausage roles have 400 calories in so,thing that barely fills you up.

Sesame bars, same as breakfast bars

And much to my greatest disappointment because I like a couple of latte's a day, is latte instead of a coffee like an Americano. Huge in calories. Over 100 calories per mug.

But I have been pleased but shocked at how few calories there are in a doughnut. They still calorie filled of course, how could they not be. But 280 round about. I thought they'd be at least 350 with all that sugar.
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    I knew celery was very low but the package says its only 5kcal per 100g. I though it would be a lot more somehow.

Meat, as has been mentioned/ The biggest one was the meal deal I always used to get at lunchtime. One sandwich, a snack and a drink does not sound like much but the sandwich can be 400+, the snack is 171 and the drink I like is 216. If you go with, say, a tuna-mayo-sweetcorn sandwich, a pack of crisps and a bottle of Ribena as I did then you hit 781 calories IN ONE TINY MEAL. I maintain an overweight BMI on 1680 per day. No wonder I was obese.
  • RUNucbar
    cheese! and i moved to wisconsin 24 years ago, so limiting my cheese has been a real shock to my system. how can i be an adopted cheesehead if i no longer eat much of the stuff? received a lovely box of assorted cheeses as a holiday gift, and wound up re-gifting it to folks at work. ah well...

People have commented my raffle donations are always boxes of fancy cheese, jams or chocolates. Well, yeah....I read the label so you are welcome to it!
  • RUNucbar
    Anything at Wagamamas restaurants. If you can find any main course under 1000 cals you're doing well.

I would kill for a katsu curry but the chicken on is 1147kcal per serving. All resturant food is much worse than I though to be honest, even salads as most add goats cheese of some kind, or dressing. Olive oil is a killer, just 5 grams of the stuff is 40+, depending on the brand. Christ almighty that one gave me a heart attack
  • robthephotog
    robthephotog Posts: 81 Member
    Olive freakin garden! I used to be able to eat a whole serving of pasta from there. Then you realize a plate could be well over 2500 calories. No drink, desert, bread, soup, etc. Yikes!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    OMG. SLOPPY JOES. Even with 85% lean ground beef (not very lean) and a can of manwich it's a welcome surprise that it's NOT a calorie bomb.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    STC02 wrote: »
    Surprised at how low cal bacon is.
    Also how many cals are in wholewheat pasta!! 250 cal for 75g serving???

Serious? Bacon low calorie? How??!!

Lol yeah it's not. Once you weigh the cooked bacon it's typically 1.5 times what the serving size is or more (even if it's extra crispy). Bacon is a PITA to log, frankly.

Yeah, a serving of mayo is ridiculously small. One serving is 1 tbsp (15g) but it's really a bit smaller, if I remember correctly (I can't imagine using tbsp for that anyway, considering how much it sticks to the spoon).
    STC02 wrote: »
    Surprised at how low cal bacon is.
    Also how many cals are in wholewheat pasta!! 250 cal for 75g serving???

That's probably a dry serving, FYI.

My entry is these delicious banh mi sandwiches. The store used to give stats on half sandwiches instead of whole ones. I guess people have complained because they're correct now, but that was an unpleasant surprise.
    img_0777_thumb_550x412.jpg

leessandwiches.com

Yeah, sandwiches. Heck I make my own with my own bread and I still typically end up at 400 calories for a 4 inch sub or something. Bread is a killer.

Honestly though, any kind of sweets. I made some millionaire shortbread a few months back and entered it in the recipe builder for kicks... 400+ calories for a tiny square. Yikes. I'm quite sure that most people still don't realize how many calories are in the average restaurant desserts. I ordered bread pudding at Uno's once and it was 840 calories for a small portion!
  • Keapix
    Keapix Posts: 92 Member
    But I have been pleased but shocked at how few calories there are in a doughnut. They still calorie filled of course, how could they not be. But 280 round about. I thought they'd be at least 350 with all that sugar.

I was so pleased about the doughnuts!