Planet Fitness or Planet Fatness?

Options

Replies

• TIDDYBEAR
    TIDDYBEAR Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    As long as the calories in the pizza are included in your calories for the day, it isn't a big deal. We had pizza partys where i worked and I would eat less for lunch.
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Rhody_Hoosier Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    tjiddy wrote: »
    fidycixer wrote: »
    honestly, I find the threads judging PF much more indicative of the person doing the judging than of PF and its policies

Seconded

PF built its reputation on judging people...the "lunk alarm".

I'm not going to spend time trying to convince you one way or the other, its just not for me. I don't need pizza day at the gym. If I want pizza I'll have it at home or out on the town with the fam. I don't put motor oil on my car to wash it just because motor oil goes IN the car. Some things fit together and some things don't. In my opinion, and for me, pizza and the gym are not a good fit.

Then don't eat the pizza. I don't think they make you. It's ok.

Not a problem. Not a member.

Don't want judgements. Don't make them.
  • PersianKitty94
    PersianKitty94 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It is their "thing". I do not fault them because in moderation pizza is food and a carb. And honestly If It Fits then what is the issue. (Would you rather it be Cake, or Beer, or Alcohol?) Personally, I am not a Planet Person, I have other issues with them, I need free weights.

But if their members enjoy it. It builds brand loyalty, maybe some friendships, and hopefully they preach healthy diets, then more power to them.

Having used a PF as a secondary cardio gym at one point, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that many, if not most people there aren't practicing any kind of dietary moderation or "fitting it in" to their calories. I could say that about most gyms I've ever belonged to though...

This one guy yesterday ate around 4 pieces of pizza. Let's say each piece was 250 cal ×4=1000. He worked out maybe for like a half hour. Idk how 1000 cals within 45 mins fits into his calories.

Seriously - who exactly are you to decide that? It is actually NONE of your business. How do you know what his plan is, what he did the days previous? How do you know this guy didn't save up calories so he could enjoy his pizza? Why not walk up to him and ask him since it bothers you so much you need to "observe" and "share" about it?

Seriously. Wow.

Triggered?
  • cmoorofum
    cmoorofum Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    BABetter1 wrote: »
    While we're judging people at planet fitness . . . . why do so many people wipe down the wrong machine? I see people get off the machine, walk over to the sanitizer, go to a different machine (usually one right next to the on they were on) and wipe it down. And, that is why I wipe my machine down both before and after I use it.

I've noticed that too. Aren't you suppose to wipe after you use it and move on to a new machine?

Or sometimes they dont evn wipe it off at all.. so nasty! I wipe my machine off before and after. If I forget which one I was on .. I just leave my water bottle in the cup holder until I come back to clean it.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I thought Bagel Tuesday was a joke. That's for real? lol I'm a member of the YMCA so we don't get perks because it's a cheap membership. ;)
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Options
    cmoorofum wrote: »
    While we're judging people at planet fitness . . . . why do so many people wipe down the wrong machine? I see people get off the machine, walk over to the sanitizer, go to a different machine (usually one right next to the on they were on) and wipe it down. And, that is why I wipe my machine down both before and after I use it.

I've noticed that too. Aren't you suppose to wipe after you use it and move on to a new machine?

Or sometimes they dont evn wipe it off at all.. so nasty! I wipe my machine off before and after. If I forget which one I was on .. I just leave my water bottle in the cup holder until I come back to clean it.

Do they sound the lunk alarm in this case? Not judging. Just making an observation.
  • PersianKitty94
    Options
    honestly, I find the threads judging PF much more indicative of the person doing the judging than of PF and its policies

Seconded

PF built its reputation on judging people...the "lunk alarm".

I'm not going to spend time trying to convince you one way or the other, its just not for me. I don't need pizza day at the gym. If I want pizza I'll have it at home or out on the town with the fam. I don't put motor oil on my car to wash it just because motor oil goes IN the car. Some things fit together and some things don't. In my opinion, and for me, pizza and the gym are not a good fit.

I agree with this.
  • cmoorofum
    Options
    Awolturtle wrote: »
    They're carbing up before they hit the squat rack. Oh wait.....my bad, no squat racks. :o

Is this truth? PF has no squat rack? They serve pizza once a month and have no squat racks. Seriously people. This is not a gym.

I said it earlier in the thread... But it depends on the PF. Mine had 2 squat racks and a huge free weight section. The one down the road was a different owner and only had free weights. YMMV depending on the location.

Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like the pizza fitness plan varies by location as well.

I think squat racks at PF are not the norm...I've never seen them at any of the PF locations in my area. I don't doubt that some have them, but I don't get the impression that it's the norm.
    “Our clubs don’t have equipment like squat racks and Olympic benches. Our dumbbells only go up to 80 pounds.”
    ~McCall Gosselin PF Director of Public Relations

from this article...

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/planet-fitness-is-not-a-gym

They don't have free weights but you can do squats with the bar that you cannot take off the machine. I do them 3 xs a week or more. It is true that all Pf's don't have the same equipment but the one I go to does have a bench press that you can do squats at also. I don't know what the official name of the machine is called but it works is all that matters to me.
  • PersianKitty94
    Options
    cmoorofum wrote: »

Sometimes I wanna go up to these people with the sign that says " wipe down after each use" and just stand there, 2 feet from them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

the no dropping weights thing is kinda dumb tho

I was always taught you shouldn't drop your weights - that is a sign that what you are lifting is too heavy and uncontrollable

Olympic lifts are at the foundation of my programming...you drop cleans and jerks and snatches...or you just jack your shoulders all to hell. Olympic lifts that are light enough to muscle down aren't doing much.

A heavy dead lift, even when controlled coming down is still usually going to make some noise which is why they have bumper plates and you typically dead lift on a platform...I've also dropped a 1 RM more than once...by this logic, nobody should ever try to 1 RM.
  • cmoorofum
    Options
    It is their "thing". I do not fault them because in moderation pizza is food and a carb. And honestly If It Fits then what is the issue. (Would you rather it be Cake, or Beer, or Alcohol?) Personally, I am not a Planet Person, I have other issues with them, I need free weights.

But if their members enjoy it. It builds brand loyalty, maybe some friendships, and hopefully they preach healthy diets, then more power to them.

Having used a PF as a secondary cardio gym at one point, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that many, if not most people there aren't practicing any kind of dietary moderation or "fitting it in" to their calories. I could say that about most gyms I've ever belonged to though...

This one guy yesterday ate around 4 pieces of pizza. Let's say each piece was 250 cal ×4=1000. He worked out maybe for like a half hour. Idk how 1000 cals within 45 mins fits into his calories.

He def wasted his whole workout on pizza plus I'm sure he needs to burn more calories for the day to wipe the pizza cal out.
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Options

I was always taught you shouldn't drop your weights - that is a sign that what you are lifting is too heavy and uncontrollable

Olympic lifts are at the foundation of my programming...you drop cleans and jerks and snatches...or you just jack your shoulders all to hell. Olympic lifts that are light enough to muscle down aren't doing much.

A heavy dead lift, even when controlled coming down is still usually going to make some noise which is why they have bumper plates and you typically dead lift on a platform...I've also dropped a 1 RM more than once...by this logic, nobody should ever try to 1 RM.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... you might set off the lunk alarm.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

but I'm pretty sure those aren't the types of lifting that PF is targeting with their lunk alarm...since that isn't the general dynamic of folks at FP
  • PersianKitty94
    Options

Seriously - who exactly are you to decide that? It is actually NONE of your business. How do you know what his plan is, what he did the days previous? How do you know this guy didn't save up calories so he could enjoy his pizza? Why not walk up to him and ask him since it bothers you so much you need to "observe" and "share" about it?

Seriously. Wow.

Triggered?

I simply find you to be extremely condescending and judgmental - it's none of your business what someone else eats, doesn't eat, what they do, don't do. None. Mind your own business - you worry about you. Let him worry about himself.

Cool.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I don't care about a gym serving pizza, nobody has to eat it. I just don't like their overall attitude. Why do they have to put others who ARE serious about health or weightlifting down? I've seen the commercials featuring muscley guys and good looking, thin women and they tout that they aren't like that there. I guess it's a marketing strategy that works and they make a lot of money but I've never understood why it's acceptable to put people down because they are doing well.
    I did check out a PF a long time ago and determined not to join because there were no olympic barbells. Well that's fine if someone doesn't need them for their workouts, I guess the gym doesn't suit my needs. But I also saw circuit machines with inspiring phrases on them like "you belong" and that just cracked me up. Why do adults need to be reminded that they belong?
  • demoman805
    demoman805 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Planet fitness is comical but I have one near me and people seam to like it.
This discussion has been closed.