March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @OSUBuckeye906 Glad you got some running in and the chance to test out your new orthotics. I sure hope you get back to feeling 100% soon!

@stoshew71 I hate it when my Garmin won't sync. I've had to remove it from my Garmin Connect devices and add it back a few times in order to connect.

@lporter229 So glad your PT appointment went well! Yay!!

@whatmerunning Glad you showed your legs who is boss! Lol!

@MobyCarp When I was doing my long runs during my marathon training, my feet kept slipping to the front of the shoe and I was getting bad blisters. That lacing technique helped keep my feet from sliding forward.

@MNLittleFinn Sorry about the stomach bug, but glad to hear you can start running again on Friday. That's exciting!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I have a question for those of you that have gone through PT for running injuries: How long do your daily assignments take to complete? My PT has me doing a set of 6 exercises, which takes about 20-25 minutes to complete all of the reps. I am supposed to do this 4-5 times per day. That is a lot of time! Way more time than I spend running! Seems excessive.

That is a lot. I was, should be, am doing mine 2x a day and it took takes 5-10 minutes. :blush:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Geez Louise I'm so far behind posts. Works been busy (I guess. I sure haven't been doing much else).

1---Rest
    2---3.07 run/walk
    4---2.49 walk/gym
    7---3.25 walk

8.81/31

Maybe races
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Mar 02     4.6T       4.6
    Mar 04     6.5       11.1
    Mar 06     4.4T      15.5
    Mar 07     6.7T      22.2

exercise.png
  • jts1981
    jts1981 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    1.65 miles in today

exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    March Running Totals (miles)
    3/1 – 7.32 easy with hills
    3/2 – 13.10 long intervals
    3/3 – rest day
    3/4 – 16.09 paced run
    3/5 – 12.67 easy with hills
    3/6 – rest day
    3/7 – 10.20 warm up, speed work, cool down

March total to date – 59.38

Nominal Challenge Goal – 225 miles
    Real Goals: Stay healthy. Train well toward Boston. Run well at the USATF Masters 8K Championship in Virginia Beach.

Today's notes – This might be the last indoor track workout of the season. Next week the club moves outside with Daylight Savings Time, and Thursday's assignment doesn't look like a track workout to me.

Today I had 8 x Yasso 800s. There are different variations of Yasso 800s floating around; the one that my coach uses is run 800m in the MM:SS corresponding to your marathon goal of HH:MM, and take equal time recovery. (Some variations call for equal distance recovery, which would be more time.) I had in mind a marathon in the 3:16 to 3:20 range; my 800 intervals ranged from 3:16.34 to 3:19.90, with the second and third being the slowest. And it felt like I could have done a couple more when I got done. I took my recovery as easy running of the track; 3 laps in Lane 3 took a little over 3 minutes, not quite the time of the 4 lap Yasso intervals; but close enough. I'd rather have a few seconds less recovery and start at the easily recognizable line on the track.

Add a 2 mile warm up and a 1 mile cool down, and Garmin estimated 10.2 miles from cadence. That's close enough to what I know I ran by lap count.

Last year, I was targeting a 3:15 marathon. Just easing off on my target time made the Yassos a whole lot easier. Or else I'm in a lot better shape this year. But I think it's mostly easing off and targeting a time to avoid injury. If I look at the Jack Daniels chart, a VDOT of 50 corresponds to a half marathon time of 1:31:35, which is right in the range of what I can do. I've run faster, and I've run slower. But it says a VDOT of 50 can run a marathon in 3:10:49, which sounds like asking for failure and injury if I attempt that. Maybe it could happen, under perfect conditions; but it's not something I want to try for. The major goal isn't to finish as fast as I can, it's to finish uninjured.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY)
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Virginia Beach, VA)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)

• ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    03/01: 105 min XT + stretch
    03/02: 4.05 mile easy run, 9:29 pace + 45 min XT + stretch + core
    03/03: 90 min XT + stretch + strength training
    03/04: 3.04 mile easy run, 9:31 pace + 45 min XT + core
    03/05: 10.07 mile long run, 9:28 pace + stretch
    03/06: 3.05 mile easy run, 9:32 pace + 20 min XT + stretch + core
    03/07: 75 min XT + stretch + strength training
    Total: 20.21 miles

Notes:
    Just some cross-training and strength exercises today! Pressed for time today - I'm revising a paper - so I'll have to catch up with posts tomorrow. Happy running all!

exercise.png

Training For:
    03/19: Excalibur 10 Miler (Viera, FL)
    04/23: Ravenswood Run, 5K (Chicago)
    05/21: Chicago Spring Half Marathon
    10/08: Chicago Marathon
    11/26: Space Coast Half Marathon (Cocoa, FL)
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    5.4 mile run, followed with 1mile Interval workout - slightly shorter run, as I am aiming to try a HM (TM) distance on Sunday (the magic word being "aiming", which is where the TM comes in ... at least I don't have to walk home if I do not achieve it (plus I can actually pace myself) :) )

exercise.png
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    "This morning's run was a meh, suck it up run. Really not interested. It was raining, but not much, and my legs were aching but not much. Just wasn't feeling it. So I spent the run wondering why I am actually running, do I actually enjoy it and what is the purpose behind aiming for a HM. Do others get that? Like a questioning of the meaning of life and is it really worth it in relation to running?" - had the same experience this morning ... The reason for running on a TM is that I can actually force myself to pace ... I normally forget that, so I want to know if I can complete a distance at my "normal" pace
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    iofred wrote: »
    5.4 mile run, followed with 1mile Interval workout - slightly shorter run, as I am aiming to try a HM (TM) distance on Sunday (the magic word being "aiming", which is where the TM comes in ... at least I don't have to walk home if I do not achieve it (plus I can actually pace myself) :) )

exercise.png

I hear you. I've been running exclusively on a TM all winter (I'm a newbie runner - just started in Nov.) I never have to worry about distance back home and it forces me to keep pace. But I wonder how I'll do when I transition to running outside. Good luck with your HM - I'm sure you'll do great!!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    I don't know what drop any of my shoes are... but they have the most padding so probably a big drop.
    girlinahat wrote: »
    padding does not equate to drop. so for example a lot of the Hoka shoes are low drop but you could hardly call them lacking in cushioning.
    A perfect example. I have low drop (2-4 mm) trail shoes and mid drop (8mm) road shoes that feel like they have the same padding. Ironically Hokas felt really awkward just couldn't get into them.

I know some people love Hokas, but I'm like you...just can't get into them either. Way too squishy for me.

@ddmom0811 The drop has to do with the difference in height between the toe and heel of the shoe. 0 Drop means that the toe and heel are at the exact same level, no matter how much or little padding is in the shoe. A 10 mm drop means the forefoot of the shoe will be 10 mm lower than the heel of the shoe. You can google your shoes and find out what the drop is.

The book, Born to Run talks a lot about this, but I know there are 2 sides to every story.

Thanks! Okay, just looked up to of my current shoes: Brooks Glycerin 14 has 10mm drop and NB Fresh Foam has 8mm drop. My Saucony Triumph ISO 2s are ready to retire and I don't see them online anymore. These Sauconys have been driving me mad because they are SO noisy. I don't notice when running but when walking through the house ready to go out the padding is really loud with every step. I'm trying to be quite since hubby is still asleep and it's as if I'm walking on boxes or something. It's not a squeak, more of a crunch - so I think the padding has gone bad.

3/1 - 3.3 miles
    3/2 - 4.1 miles
    3/3 - rest day
    3/4 - 34 miles biking
    3/5 - 28 miles biking
    3/6 - 4 miles + strength training
    3/7 - 4.5 miles
    3/8 - strength training

exercise.png
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options