March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I did get my group run in last evening. (I was tempted to skip it and go to the gym, but I really, really love my Monday night group run. The weather turned out to be much milder than it seemed and it was a great run).

Today, the weather is really blech...so glad it's a gym day and not a run day. I'll deal with that tomorrow instead.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    In my coach's lexicon, "jogging" is for recovery. Usage: 6 x 60m strides, easy jog between. In popular usage, "jogger" has the connotation of someone who is more concerned with burning calories to lose weight than with being fit. Hence, the adage that at a stoplight joggers move up and down while runners just stand there looking annoyed.

No running or jogging for me today. I've shoveled my driveway twice, and need to do so again. On the third iteration, I'll pass 10K steps for the day without ever going further from home that the public right of way in the street immediately adjacent to my property. It would be nice to get to the indoor track for today's speed work; but a) I don't want to take my car out in this, and b) the facility is closed due to weather anyway. I'd consider a dreadmill, but of course I don't own one; and getting to a dreadmill I could use has all the same problems as getting to the indoor track.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I did get my group run in last evening. (I was tempted to skip it and go to the gym, but I really, really love my Monday night group run. The weather turned out to be much milder than it seemed and it was a great run).

Today, the weather is really blech...so glad it's a gym day and not a run day. I'll deal with that tomorrow instead.

..And the gym is closed!! They actually closed the gym for a few paltry inches of snow!!!. Grrr.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 sounds like a race directors nightmare! Haha!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Short run today - 2.3 miles.

exercise.png
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 Wow! I'd venture to say that the luck of the Irish most certainly was not with them that day.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 - A shirt from that race is going to have quite a story to tell!!! I can't imagine what drafting that message must have been like.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @girlinahat- thanks for the tip on the wristband. I will try it. I have also heard that it can actually be a function of changes in your core body temp. A friend in my running group said that she puts on a tight spandex tank after a run and that always helps her form getting those episodes of post run Reynaud's (which i also sometimes get). i keep forgetting to try it though!
    @lporter229 I have episodes of Reynaud's from time to time as well, though it seems to be a bit better the past two years. I haven't really found a pattern to when it occurs. It's interesting to note the idea of warming the wrists. My regular winter running jackets (all the same exact kind) have an extension to the sleeve that comes to the palm of my hands and is a bit thick. With that part of the sleeves and my gloves overlapping as well as any base layer I'm wearing, my wrists get pretty warm on my runs sometimes and I'm always tempted to push up the sleeves a little bit. I think I only started wearing these jackets last year, so I'm not sure if this is the reason or it might have to do with the past two winters being more mild, but it's interesting to think about.
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I had to laugh when he added at the end about the runners who have to pee going side to side because that's totally me, except I kind of just pace.
    Well, I'd say my area got about six inches of lake effect snow last night. I definitely had a lot to brush off my car before leaving for work. Looks like another dreadmill run for me tonight.

Luckily the temps will get into the 40s again by the weekend so that snow should melt enough to do my usual weekend runs outdoors.
    @RespectTheKitty I hope the snow melts like you said. I'll be near your neck of the woods for a very quick weekend trip and I'm hoping to squeeze in a run at some point so I don't have to go both Saturday and Sunday without a run.
    HRKinchen wrote: »
    @HRKinchen another way of looking at it. if I'm being socail, I'm jogging, if I'm training or running more "seriously" I'm running, so for me running vs. jogging is situational.

In that light, I'm always a runner. At least, so far.

That's the way to look at it. I always think of joggers as people who are just doing it because it's the popular thing to do or it's the "in" thing. Runners are the people who slog it out day in and day out and go out in all kinds of crazy weather on the eternal search for the next runner's high.

@MNLittleFinn Interesting to hear everyone's perspectives on the "jogging" term. For me, I guess if I hear a fellow runner use the term jog in reference to themselves, I understand it to mean that they ran at a very slow, easy pace. For instance, last month when I was starting to return to running I think I used the term "jog" at first since I didn't really feel like the term "run" was appropriate. However, if I hear someone who isn't a regular runner refer to jogging in a way that you referenced, I think of it that way too.

@ddmom0811 Wow, that sounds like a nightmare!
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    15/03 - 6 mile TM run ... increased pace & gradient, followed with Interval & Back workout

exercise.png

Completed
    11/03 - 10K Run The Solar System (thanks for the tip) - 52:01
    12/03 - TM Half Marathon (plugged in the MK HM route - attempt 1  ) - 1:54:02
    Coming up:
    • 01/05 - Milton Keynes HM
    • 18/06 - Run-Bedford-Run - 10K
    • 02/09 - Bedford HM
    • 24/09 - Windsor HM
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    March goal: lose (another)3lbs

3/1 2.54 + core/strength training 30m
    3/2 3.20
    3/3 5.25
    3/4 yoga 45m
    3/5 rest
    3/6 4.17
    3/7 3.55
    3/8 4.00
    3/9 rest
    3/10 2.05 and yoga 30m
    3/11 lazy
    3/12 3.74
    3/13 snorkel 4 hours: this is a Triton's Trumpet: among the largest of sea snails, this was about a foot long, and yes, I returned it back to its resting spot after showing my "land-lubber" friends...
    3bs3ume33lkc.jpg

3/14 6.38

Total: 34.88

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png

Completed and upcoming races:
    Run through the solar system Virtual 10k: 3/14 (I'm too lazy to go back and see who recommended this, but thanks: DH (an amateur astronomer) enjoyed sitting on the couch and listening while I did the work on the treadmill!
    Big Island International Marathon (---just doing the 5k) 3/19

nice Triton!! You know they're poisonous don't you......?

Also they are the main predator of crown-of-thorns starfish, which are chomping away at our reefs at a rate of knots due to too many of them (as Tritons are taken as decorative shells). Glad you put it back!!