10 a Day (800g) Veggie&Fruit Challenge Participants Check in!

Options

Replies

• MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Today I'm being "bad". Fruit overload: apple, banana, mango, raspberry and sour cherries. Dinner will be homemade kebab with lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber and peppers.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I need to get back into the swing of things so I ate half my allotment of vegetables in my lunch today. It was a salad and it was super good but I am stuffed to the gill! LOL
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    So I just got some blood test results back. I have high potassium (like, over the high end of normal, absolutely don't want it getting any higher, have had some symptoms this past week that could absolutely be attributed to that). Doc wants me to repeat the test next week, but in the meantime I'm gonna scale back a bit on the fruit and veg to keep under RDA.

:'(
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    So I just got some blood test results back. I have high potassium (like, over the high end of normal, absolutely don't want it getting any higher, have had some symptoms this past week that could absolutely be attributed to that). Doc wants me to repeat the test next week, but in the meantime I'm gonna scale back a bit on the fruit and veg to keep under RDA.

What the what???!!!

Hope everything turns out okay. Do you take a multi vitamin as well?
  • French_Peasant
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sitting at Red Robin waiting for my guacamole bacon burger. I might be a fail on every front today, gang. Eh, at least I got my lifting in.

ETA I did at least order a broccoli side...and see I have 122 g of protein for the day so all is not entirely for naught.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

How much sodium do you get? Sometimes when we get a lot of vegetables we get less sodium due to the food itself not having added sodium even if we use salt when we cook. Maybe you need more sodium. I hope you get it all sorted out! What were your symptoms if you don't mind my asking?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Oven-roast some cabbage in 1/2-inch slices, or thereabouts, with a small bit of olive oil. Hot oven (425F), until the sides brown and few of the outer-edge bits are dark brown. Might take an hour. Flip them once or twice along the way. Optionally, eat with basamic vinegar & a bit of coarse salt, or perhaps a mustard vinaigrette (made with malt or beer vinegar for this, would be my choice). Pretty delicious! :)

Roast cabbage is delicious! I bake wedges of it.

I had a wisdom tooth pulled out this week, and burnt my gums rinsing them with hot salt solution (wah!).... Eating was painful so I had to give up salad (double wah!). Also tried to eat less frequently so really only had one main meal - roasted vegies:

500 g zucchini, 200 mushrooms, 150 broccoli, 100-300 pumpkin, 100 raw grated Beetroot, 50 avo.... And 150g berries with dessert.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm still here, though last week I kind of got off track and stopped tracking my intake (for all my food). I've been experimenting with my new discovery of coffee and have been playing with different add-ins, and now I'm pretty sure my calorie intake has gone waaay up (darn you amazing Almond Joy coffee creamer!). Sooo-tomorrow I'm back at it, not only for the veg/fruit challenge, but also at tracking my total intake to make sure I'm still within my calorie target (scale is up a bit, but it could be sodium etc).

Going through the ads right now and both Aldi and Meijer have some really good produce deals this week, so I'll be loading up tomorrow and jumping back in!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I have likewise been off the tracking wagon.

BTW, doc doesn't think the symptoms I was experiencing last week will be from the high potassium (as in, I think it's not high enough to cause symptoms) and thinks it will resolve on its own (as it should, one's kidneys usually do a good job of getting rid of any excess from diet). I'll get it retested sometime this week and we'll go from there.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Today:
    Breakfast - a banana and a slice of cream cake (unplanned but rather delicious)
    Lunch - Lettuce, green beans, cucumber and kohlrabi salad with prawns
    Dinner - Carrot soup with peppers and onions

That leaves me 2 fruit/veg short, so I guess I'll have an apple for dessert and maybe throw some peas into the soup as well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm in! I got 250 grams of fruits and veggies yesterday and plan to double that today.

I just read the first and last pages - have people shared how they are tracking? Spreadsheet examples?
  • info2380
    info2380 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just getting started....:)
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm in! I got 250 grams of fruits and veggies yesterday and plan to double that today.

I just read the first and last pages - have people shared how they are tracking? Spreadsheet examples?

For the first week we listed it here (and some still are). I have taken to putting it in my "notes" section and just making sure I get over 800 g a day, which I even managed to accomplish on Red Robin Burger night...yay. The bad part is I just realized when I went back to look at things that you also have to actively save the note (sad trombone, wah wah wahhh). All my math, lost for posterity.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options

I was in at first, now out (from reporting overload, not reduced veggie/fruit consumption!).

One of the ways of tracking (UK version, I think) is, for most common fruit/veg, to count 80g as one serving. Therefore, for those already weighing/tracking food, it's easy just to run down the day's diary & total up the grams.

There are a few wrinkles like only counting legumes as 1 serving even if more than 80g, and I think there's maybe something special about fruit juice or dried fruit (know the US guidelines count those differently). I don't think the thread has "counting police", though, that will call you out on minor variations! ;)
  • kshama2001
    edited March 2017
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I was in at first, now out (from reporting overload, not reduced veggie/fruit consumption!).

One of the ways of tracking (UK version, I think) is, for most common fruit/veg, to count 80g as one serving. Therefore, for those already weighing/tracking food, it's easy just to run down the day's diary & total up the grams.

There are a few wrinkles like only counting legumes as 1 serving even if more than 80g, and I think there's maybe something special about fruit juice or dried fruit (know the US guidelines count those differently). I don't think the thread has "counting police", though, that will call you out on minor variations! ;)

For the UK Five a Day, legumes and juice do indeed only count once: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Pages/Tips.aspx

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/23/five-a-day-fruit-veg-must-double-10-major-study-finds/ says potatoes, yams, cassava and plantain don't count :(
  • kshama2001
    edited March 2017
    Options

Thanks in part to being able to count lentils once, I did make and exceed my goal of doubling yesterday's 250 and reached a total of 573.

I wish I was still living with Mom so I could weigh her food - I bet she gets 800 grams no sweat.
  • msr8898
    msr8898 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! Can I join!?

I've only got 591g for today :(
    396g Lentils
    85g Baby Spinach
    110g Banana
  • crzycatlady1
    edited March 2017
    Options

Love seeing all the new people joining in!

I started by meticulously tracking here on MFP (which I normally don't do), but that took a lot of time so this week I'm doing a more laid back (ie lazy lol) approach and have a notebook on my counter by my food scale-as I measure out the veg/fruit I just write down the number of grams I'm eating and at the end of day I add it all up. It doesn't give a nice breakdown but it's working pretty well for my purposes :)
  • crzycatlady1
    Options
    Just added up my totals for the day and I got in 741g, so pretty happy with that! It was a mix of lettuce, spinach, tomato, broccoli, onion, bell pepper, cantaloupe and banana. Plus 53g of mushroom, but I don't know if that counts? Technically mushrooms aren't vegetables but I've always lumped them in the same category since they're sold in the produce section and they also have lots of nutrients. But, I didn't count it because I didn't know?