WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2017

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Mary from Minnesota – Neither son (because he works for DH who is covered under my COBRA’ed insurance from my job) nor his wife had insurance; and, they paid a fine each year for the past 3 years. She went without a job for 4 months (she walked out on it because she got mad at boss) and he told her ‘if she walked out of the door, not to bother coming back’). She did, and she didn’t. They were going to have to pay $1900 each this year for the fine for not having insurance. She got hired by the State, therefore has ‘good insurance’; but, I still think their deductible is high. She is upset that she is not bringing home but about 2/3rd of what she did in her previous job, but, no insurance. She had ‘thought’ about quitting and looking for one that paid more. DOS told her ‘if she did, and, they lost the insurance that also covers their college-age daughter until she is 26 as long as she is still ‘in school’ and not married; he’d file for a divorce the next day. Because she was ‘out-of-work’ and had credit card debt where she had used DOS’s income to get them, they are having to file bankruptcy. He told her (or so he said) that ‘if’ she got another one and activated it, he would ‘file for a divorce’. I told him that ‘if he was going to make that sort of threat, he needed to make damn sure that he followed through with it; or he’d be broke and miserable the remaining days of his life’. I ‘think’ he means it. She was ‘upset’ because others were going to ‘think’ she was the reason they are going through all this. Having to give up her car (with a $500+ a month payment). He's getting his truck 'fixed' and she will have to drive it. WELLLLLLLLLLLL; if the shoe fits, wear it. GGGrrrr!!!!!! I am keeping my mouth and thoughts ‘out of it’.

It was ‘easy’ for Pelosi (and the likes) to say it had to be ‘signed into law to find out what was in it’ … DUH! She’s got ‘Cadillac’ insurance and it has been a mess for those who have had to buy it. I agree, and that is JMO, too.

I’m on SSI and my health insurance through my job picks up most of the rest; don’t even have to meet a deductible. I know I am truly blessed in that regard. When you are on a ‘fixed income’ you really have to watch your pennies and a $2000 hospital/MD bill can ‘tank you’, unless you have money in a savings account. Factor in those totally unexpected bills, an older couple could be in deep “mess” … just living expenses are high. Most people our ages have already paid off their house; not us, we moved out here when I was put on SSD. Would not trade it for anything … but, the thought of the payment frightens me, no end. Life insurance is expensive, too. And, it is a gamble. We have been waiting 6 weeks or more waiting for all the MDs to send in records to the underwriting department.

Love the Leggings!!!!

DJ – Love the dishes!

Talking about things costing up the whazoo … we tried to see about lowering our DirecTV bill; I called and was talking to a woman and told her the channels that we LIKE TO WATCH! Then she said she had lowered it to $102 a month. Last night we turned the TV on, and all the channels I had told her that we watched were GONE! I don’t know who was the maddest; Louis or me! Spent about 3 hours on the phone last night with someone who had enough ‘walking around sense' to look into the programs, what we had, and then ‘explain’ things. They’ve got you by the brass balls and they know it. They will give you one channel in one group of programs; but, to get the next, you have to ‘go up’. I told her we could not afford a $300 bill every month and to put it back to where it was BEFORE the ‘idiot’ changed it. It took affect immediately! Damn, guess it will just have to be our ‘entertainment’. Movie rental store closed down, it was the last one still open. Going to the picture show cost about $12 each, forget eating or drinking anything. A bottle of water that you can buy at a convenience store for 89¢ costs $4 at the movies. Little wonder why the families of our parents’ generation and one below was so large; that was the ‘only entertainment’ they had.

Ginger – If climbing the steps into the Statute of Liberty’s crown is anything like climbing up to the cat walk on a lighthouse; no thanks! Been there, done that … won’t do it again.

Lenora
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    Hi Gals,

So just writing out what was going on helped – it also made me feel a bit whiny as compared to some of the problems others are dealing with mine are small – 1st world problems… it made me understand how grateful I should be- as a result today was a better day – thank you all for listening and commenting… I appreciate you.

Karen in Virginia – thanks !

Janetr – The sad part is that Chemo is hard on the patient (my brother) My mom is angry and hurtful because of it and she is angry because “its not fair that she should have bury her husband and her son” - it may not be fair, but he’s not dead yet! In fact looking at him he’s doing pretty well. The toughest part is that it is all about her.

Patceoh – even under the current health care situation I have a $6,000 deductible….

Lisa – I know California is a crazy pricy place to live but until my Mom passes and my nephew is a bit older, I’m staying… sometimes the stress of the finances crushes me, but I really am a bit Berkeley in my politics (by CA standards – which for some of the southern gals would make me a crazy liberal) and I love the weather! as long as my family who needs me are here, I’m staying.

Heather – the differences in clothing prices is probably not so big if you include quality – Americans can have a bit of a wear it; toss it thought process, which is why I do so well at the thrift stores…

Beth – I am so sorry to hear that – our mom’s are cut from the same cloth.

Margaret – I so agree there are many area’s our health care system needs to be worked on, but save the baby before you throw out the bath water!

Mary – It is interesting to see how these changes have affected everyone so differently – it seems that there has to be a way to give us all reasonably priced health care – for me before ACA it was $996 a month with a $10,000 deductible now it is $542 a month with a $6,000 deductible and the current estimate I found is with the current republican plan - I’d go to $1,100-1,200 a month with a $6,000 deductible… I am a single person, 58 years old, with 2 pre-existing conditions – one weight, and one when I was 35 years old I had to have some female surgery – no recurrence…
    I have to admit I would be thrilled with yours at $350 a month and $5,500 deductible that would save me over $2,000 a year.
    This all made me curious so I went back and looked as some records and in 2000 I paid $125 a month for my part of an employer’s plan and in 1995 (when I had amazing insurance) I paid $100 a month for my part of the employer’s plan… although those plans had about $1000 annual deductible.
    My monthly insurance premium is between 25 and 40% of my monthly income depending on the month.. no care just for the insurance.

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • knjiuv
    knjiuv Posts: 61 Member
    Mary, we haven't seen any pictures of your beautiful German Shepard lately.
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Hi everyone and Happy St Patrick's Day to all my Irish friends and those who claim to be Irish once a year! I was going to throw my corned beef in the crockpot this morning but decided to have it on Sunday instead. 992851r2bfwa35ve.gif

Yesterday I found out from my daughter that my youngest sister had been in a head-on collision. My daughter found out about it on FB! What is with people today? They just post on FB instead of calling family to let them know. Just drives me crazy. When my sister Jill passed away I didn't get a call either just saw the post on FB. Anyway an elderly person (could have been me . . . lol) ran a red light. My sister has a fractured sternum and told me that it will be a long healing process so please keep her in your prayers or whatever you do to send good thoughts for someone. She is a tiny little thing so I'm thankful that the airbag didn't kill her.

Lenora - the test I took was a link (I can't remember who posted it) to a quasi Myers Briggs personality test. Much, much shorter than Myers Briggs. I've taken that one a few times and just can't remember what I ended up being. Last time I took it was at a conference and we had a class on working with generations which are usually about 3-4 different generations in offices now. It was very interesting.

KeytoneKaren - thanks for the insight into my Artist label. I didn't get a chance to read through the description as my selfless self was dealing with my 12yr old's mouthy mouth! I do love that boy but he may be the demise of me!

Going to funeral tomorrow for DGS#1 friend's grandmother who passed away from cancer recently. It hit RJ really hard because he has been to this friend's house for overnighters and had gotten to know her. Afterward he is spending the night at my daughter's and DGS#2, Zac, and I are going to spend time together.

Sunday I'm going to spend time with an old boss (friend now) who has MS and has been having some bad flare ups lately. We usually got for coffee and then I take her shopping or do it for her. she lives in an assisted living community.

Barbie - before I forget the book came - thank you so much.

And speaking of books - I didn't know we had a little library in our Division so I borrowed "Girl on a Train" to read.

Love to all - Gloria in WA who forgot to wear green today!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited March 2017
    Kim - it is is definitely an "unfair" situation for everyone involved, unfortunately life is not fair and all we can do is move ahead and make the best of it and get through the best way we know how. Surrounding yourself with supportive, encouraging people is a very good place to to start. You mother is not helping her own situation nor any one around her. But we only have control of our own actions, one thing I always tell myself when things get crazy with my older sisters is "They cannot drive me nuts if I don't give them the key". Easier said then done but it does help me to focus on my attitude and how I proceed thru the turmoil.

Hang in there, we care <3

Janetr OKC
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Kate - thanks for sharing your photos. I hope you have the very best time in Spain.

Janetr - Princess Mia looks good in green.

Gloria in WA - Sending prayers for your sister

I read with interest the varying ways my American sisters are covered for their health concerns. It makes me slightly dizzy and embarrassed that we Canadians are so quick to criticize our health care system. This is one area that I am very thankful for.

I had to be at work at 6 a.m. I hate this shift, I might have mentioned that before. There were a few of us that participated in the wearing o' the green. One of the girls picked up a St. Patrick's Day cake. I have been saving myself for Billie Miner pie for our anniversary and now I have to confess that I engaged in mindless eating and stuffed cake in my maw. I think I am going to indulge myself and still have the dessert for our anniversary. I can't believe how easily it happened. The staff all seemed to be enjoying doing the Secrets Quiz. I guess I should decide on some prizes.

I took "her" to a job interview this afternoon. Harmony and I went to Mark's and I found a top I liked. I will have to see if it gets Jheri's approval. We stopped and registered my sweetie pie for swim lessons. On to Tim Horton's for coffee for me and treats for them. I had called my sister and asked if she wanted to be picked up. No she wasn't dressed but then phoned me and asked if I would bring them there for a visit. It was after 6 by time I got home. Larry wanted pizza but the place ran out of dough, second choice was steak sandwich and they had no steak left. I got snarky and asked what they did have. Chinese food. It wasn't very good.

We stopped at my brother's and he showed us the new dialysis unit. It fits in a large suitcase. He has a pallet of supplies in the kitchen. The supplies will last one month. He is looking good and happy that he can now do the dialysis over night which will leave him free during the day. They will reassess on the 29th and see if he can continue this way or if he will have to return to the renal clinic for hemodialysis.

-Sharon in Lethbridge
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    PENNY - no it's not for St Patricks day it is a tradition in this region of Spain it is called the FALLA pronounced fire Valencia is the main city that does this but here in Benidorm there are 3 lots of sculptures. Some say it is to chase away devils but if you google it there are various suggestions. The Spanish just love a party and they don't need an excuse

Just off out to walk in the sunshine I really get my steps in when I'm here even if I'm not logging food and of course the demon drink but hey will get back on track on my return

Will log in later

Kate in sunny Spain
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,187 Member
    edited March 2017
    http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/classic-croissants.aspx

Joyce - Above is the link to the three day croissants recipe. (Photos!) The dough has been in the fridge since yesterday, so today's task is making all the layers of butter in the dough. Then it goes back into the fridge until the tricky part of cutting out tomorrow, when I definitely need my husband. :o:D
    They come out quite small - just as well! They are not up to ParisIan artesan standards, :noway: but very tasty. I am only doing them for fun really and it's nice to take them with us when we go visiting. B) Last time I don't think I let them rise enough for the final rise. Too impatient. ;)

DH will be watching the rugby all afternoon and early evening. We are having the meat balls I made and froze a while ago with my homemade tomato sauce. Peas. I will have mine on cauliflower "rice" and give DH some normal rice as well. Easy food for watching sport to.

I will be watching Elvira Madigan. Do any of you remember that.? Swedish film with a lush Mozart soundtrack. Plus reading the newspaper. When I'm not rolling croissants every 20 minutes. :laugh:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Morning- off to have my car airbag replaced due to a safety recall. Hoping to be first in line so my whole day is open.

Back to the gym, inactivity has not been my friend, so must walk myself back into a positive place-each step gets me closer right?? :|

Here's to a productive, positive day everyone. NYKAREN
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    welcome Janeice we look forward to hearing all about you :)
    Gloria keeping your sister in my prayers.

I agree with Gloria. Yesterday someone texted me about a death. Not only is this beyond insensitive, it is dangerous. You don't know where people are when they are reading a text. I remember once getting a death notification on a phone and I collapsed. We don't seem to put a lot of thought into how we communicate sensitive issues. Social media is just easier but not necessarily better.

Well it's endurance day, my 3 hour workout, not feeling it today but better get cracking!

<3 Sarah.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Heather ~ Hope your rolls turn out well. I looked at the recipe and don't think I would ever have the patience to make it. Your cooking skills are highly admired by all of us. You must be so proud of your DnL. Thanks for sharing the article.

Sharon ~ I had to look up the recipe for that Billie Miner pie. It looks decadent!

Gloria ~ Prayers for your sister.

Kim ~ I am so glad you feel better today and that your outlook has brightened. However, I am so sorry you are having those troubles with increases in insurance and utilities. No advice as I think you are being very practical and I know you love your nephew and mom.

I am fighting to keep the pounds I lost gone. It seems like I'm up a pound one day and down the next. Guess that's what you call a plateau.

Welcome to all the new chatters! It is difficult to keep up with all but so much fun to read... :)

Carol in GA
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Heather - very cool! Pretty awesome when your child finds and marries someone who you can enjoy and respect. Took my daughter two tries, but we like the second husband.

Beautiful spring morning in West Texas... Corey's still sleeping, I'm off to do laundry.

Love y'all,
    Lisa
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Hey again--I flipped my frustration at the garage--5 hour wait! Instead of feeling trapped and angry- I walked to gym--worked out hard and walked back to the mechanics-5 mile total walking instead of stewing in the waiting room!!!

Heather I once made puff pastry from scratch, really labor intensive and delicious and a calorie bomb. I will leave it to the professionals and to the occasional treat. My favorite croissants were eaten in Montreal --wow were they delicious- having never been to France to compare. o:)

NYKAREN
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,745 Member
    Insurance ... I am astounded at the deductibles some of you are paying! Wow! We have very reasonable and excellent insurance which I have always considered a blessing. My husband remembers when he was a young man and in a union ... couldn't figure out why the older guys always fought so hard on healthcare issues ... then our first son was born prematurely ... he figured it out!

My baby's spring break is over tomorrow. I am sad every time we take him to the airport. He only has about 6 more weeks of school and then he's completed his first year! He's made amazing changes in his life and we are very proud of him. However ... he still needs to work on his concept of money ... or rather, his concept of MY money!

This crud is making me lay low ... so that's what I'll do again today. Did not do well with my eating yesterday ... knowingly ate sugar. Stayed within acceptable calorie limits .. but dang! Today is another day...

Beth near Buffalo

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,794 Member
    dog-graphics-dog-camping-644117.jpg
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Hello,

Checking in! No time to read, however our daughter is returning home to VA today and I will settle in this evening for a very LONG catch-up session! I've missed ya'll!

Cheri
    in overcast College Station, TX this morning
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Accountability Post
    March Goals
    Friday's Progress (3/17)
    ✔1. Carbs 50-75g (limit 25g/meal)
    (B3, L18, D24, AS 5, BBS 24 = 74)
    ✔2. Fiber 30g
    ✔3. Track/complete entry daily
    ✔4. Vegetables - big salad daily
    5. Exercise - log 30 Fitbit minutes.
    ✔6. No eating after 9pm.
    ✔7. In bed by midnight.
    8. Declutter: ✔Office Supplies, Electronics, Music, Craft Supplies, Cleaning Supplies, Utility Drawer, Utility Closet

Friday was a much better day. Feel a little more in control - I have some easier options for meals. Fitbit forgotten on charger all day.

Busy day planned working on household chores. Determined to go for a walk and use the elliptical today. Need coffee....

--Ginger in Texas