WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2017

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn croaking like Kermit in Houston

I sure hope the croaking changes to chirping quickly and your are able to enjoy the good weather and the new grandbabies and running in the sun. You are one busy lady. <3

Janetr OKC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    :)Gloria, Thanks for letting me know that you got "Strong Women Stay Young". I hope it is as useful to you as it has been to me. I am only a few days away from my 6 month anniversary from my surgery which is when I said I'd start strength training again, so the book will be useful for me to get started again.

:)Janeice Welcome. I found MFP because I was helping my husband keep track of calories and I liked the site so much that I set up profiles for both of us and have been using the site every since Slowly I lost the weight I wanted to lose and have kept it off. My husband has to be careful of sodium but I can't get him to give up cheese, bread, and dill pickles (three great sodium offenders).

:)Dianna, welcome. You've just found a great group of friends who will listen to you and encourage and support you. Keep coming back.

:)Katla, how great that you can enjoy your horse activities in a covered arena so the weather doesn't slow you down.

:)Kim, that is great about the new embroidery orders. Your story reminds me of a sign I saw one day when my life was at a low point "I am grateful for unknown blessings already on their way."

<3 Barbie from beautiful drizzly, chilly NW Washington
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday! An emotional morning! My dear husband was annoyed at me for staying up late last night, on Facebook. I had added a couple of groups, a city for sale site, a "You know you live in Astoria when" site, a country living site, and my high school site. So I was reconnecting with old friends excreta. His thoughts go back to years ago, when I typed to people improperly, and he has trust issues. Valid trust issues, but I sat with him, (as he was going thru my history on FB), and told him that my FB is an open book. That I know I have changed because I feel in a good place. That I know I have nothing to feel guilty about. It was a good talk, but I know he will forever have doubts in his mind. Having your wife cheat on you is something you just can't ever forget. Maybe its just the thing that keeps us thankful and present for each other... We tread a rocky road.

Today I get some of my salmon, and for dinner one of my pancakes. A simple day. French toast for my guys.
    Hugs ladies!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,319 Member
    Options
    Reading Henning Mankel's memoir of his approach to death through cancer. QUICKSAND. Do you Americans know the Wallander books and TV series? I am in awe of his honesty. Love his books. <3<3<3 Feeling very humbled. Such a great stylist.

My newspaper has a review of another book about the intelligence of octopus. Oh dear. :*;) I have read a few. I love to eat octopus, but I am increasingly feeling guilty about eating them. I generally only eat them in Spanish areas, but all these books are testing my conscience. Like my son I have resolved to not eat any animal that can recognise itself in a mirror i. e. self conscious, but the octopus is getting to me. :o Intelligence of a dog, or a two year old child??????? :sad:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

PS -England lost the last rugby match to Ireland, thus losing the world record. :'( Poor DH. His soccer team, Watford, also lost and our old London soccer team, Arsenal, also lost. :sad:
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    sarah. So impressed that you are starting from seeds :). Wow, makes me want to start planning my garden! NYKAREN
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,653 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

all Apple Watch
    rowing machine - 30min = 220c
    s matrix machine-15min = 150c
    stairclimber- 20min, 66steps per min, 1342steps, 84floors, lvl6-10min, lvl9 10min = 186c
    rope pull- 15min, 27feet per min, 462meters, mindset = 116c

total cal 672
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new ladies. A 2 GM sodium diet is a pretty good diet. My husband always hates it when he is in the hospital for a cardiac issue.

Heather, thanks for the link. I don't think I could ever make it though. I am not a baker except for cakes and brownies from a box. I do make a mean Watergate cake but it is also from a box mix and box pudding mix.

I swear the moment you arrive at the border of Minnesota you smell fresh bread baking. Of course it has been about 35 years since I have been there. But I always loved to go to my Dad's parents, my Aunt and my cousin's house. They make the best bread. I think they have a frozen bread dough you can buy and let it rise. If I bought that though I would just sit on the couch with butter and eat it all. Or maybe some apple butter. When my Grandpa died, my Grandma felt such a release that she could go to the store and buy a loaf of bread.

Kate in Spain, are those real princesses or just women and girls dressed up as such?

Joyce, Indiana
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Karen in V A Oliva looks as if all is well in her little corner of the world. So so peaceful. <3

Janetr okc
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options

<3
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hugs to all

Paula Y
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,771 Member
    Options
    Double dang ... a second day off the rails!

Kim ... happy for you!

Barbie ... like that saying ... "I am grateful for unknown blessings already on their way."

Beth
  • happyringer
    happyringer Posts: 21 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Diagnosed on the 8th with diabetes. I've been pre-diabetic for 25 years. So, I'm determined to face this head-on, and stop making excuses:

March goals:

1- lose 10 lbs by eating 1200 calories a day and walking 3 days a week
    2- measure and log all food and exercise to ensure a good balance in macronutrients
    3- learn more about diabetes - and what I can do to control it

Vicki - Tampa
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn: I'm so happy you survived the flu, but sorry that it caught 12 members of your family. :flowerforyou:

Becca in Astoria: (((HUGS)))

Heather: A number of years ago there was an octopus in the Oregon Coast Aquarium that taught us all how smart they can be. This one was a female, if I remember correctly, and a real trickster. She went wherever she wanted in the building and had an engaging personality. Wikipedia tells me their lifespan is only 3 to 5 years, so she would be very old indeed if she still lives. I also read that reproduction leads to death. :sad: I won't be eating octopus, or any of its cousins. :noway:

Vicki: My DH has been an insulin dependent diabetic for 52 years. He has done a great job taking care of his health, and still has all his fingers and toes. You can do well, too. You've found an excellent source of support in this group of women. I think that the system MFP offers to track food is excellent and will be a good tool to help you manage your situation. Welcome. :flowerforyou:

Today was a busy day. I shipped birthday gifts to DGD a few days ago, but was reminded that our son and DDIL left things in our house that needed to be shipped, too. I got those into the mail, and also had the fun of a riding lesson. The lesson went well. Getting in extra riding and all that goes with it is a real blessing. I feel lucky, as I've mentioned before and will probably mention again and again, and... The woman who owns the stable is wonderful and so is my teacher.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March 2017 Resolutions:

1: Log every bite and swallow;
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day.
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,319 Member
    Options
    Kate UK - You do have a great location for seeing the parades! "Los españoles viven en la calle" - that's what they say. The Spanish live in the street. :D Of course, a warmer climate does help!
    I notice a lot when I'm away how many people are out and about in the evenings. In Britain it is mainly young people who go out - the oldies are at home in front of their TVs. Abroad it is every age, which must account for their better weight, even if they are just strolling. You sometimes see two old ladies tottering down the promenade in their winter fur coats with their small dogs on leads. The "paseo" in the early evening, when everyone comes out for a pre meal stroll and chat is a wonderful habit. I know you said you do much more walking than you do at home. Our comfortable homes and our better tv programmes have a lot to answer for!

Going to make the final stage of the croissants today. Got to roll a strip 44 inches long!!!! Then DH will measure up and do all the cutting out of the triangles. <3 I hope they rise well this time. An airing cupboard job, I think.

I've been up early. Taking DH up a cup of tea in a minute. :D Will do some more typing out of my memoir this morning.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx