"You can eat whaver you want, as long as you eat at a deficit" is true, but it's garbage advice.

Options

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    catmomfat wrote: »
    I am learning that I CAN eat most foods in moderation. Some foods to me AREN'T worth the calories. I'll skip the bread basket, because I can eat a more caloric meal if I skip the breads. It's the same amount of calories, but I just choose to split an order of fried green tomatoes with someone instead of eating a roll or cornbread. Nachos or a margarita ( if they are same calories). Nachos for the win!! But, I can eat sensibily and get my junk and unhealthy foods in as well. I just use moderation and plan for it. If I know I'm eating Mexican food Friday night, I eat very light lunch and breakfast that day, and I try to make a healthier choice eating that night.

That's just crazy talk.......all that common sense and moderation and making informed choices and...and...and.....

They chose Nachos over a Margarita. Yeah, that's crazy talk. :)

Actually, when I go out it's often the Keg. And I will gladly eat half the loaf of table bread and skip the appy and eat half my meal.

Exactly, its always about making informed decisions. When I was losing actively, I CHOSE to not eat bread. It is calorie dense and not too filling. Now that I am at maintenance, I generally eat bread when offered, just not ALL the bread. Its choices and informed decisions.

ETA: Always choose a margarita or beer, always.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    jdb3388 wrote: »
    ...MOST people, especially larger people, run out of calories waaaaay before they become satiated. If you are a 135lb woman that's 5'9 which I think was an example somewhere in this thread, and you're only eating at a 500 calorie deficit, no *kitten* you are gonna be full before you run out of calories. You're small, even if you aren't at your "goal" you are going to feel satiated. If you are the kind of person who is accustomed to eating 3500-4000 calories a day and your prescribed amount is 2500, there is absolutely NO WAY that you can eat the calorie dense foods you enjoy, but at a lower quantity, and not be absolutely starving to death...

What a coincidence - those numbers match my previous and current intake almost exactly. And I eat plenty of calorie dense foods I enjoy, have lost over 60 pounds and am never "absolutely starving to death". And I guess I could be considered a "larger" person - I'm 6'6" and was 270 lbs when I started this, stepped on the scale at 207 lbs this morning. I'd point you to my food diary but I keep it locked, mostly because I don't want "clean eaters" going in there clucking and wagging their tongues about what I eat and trying to tell me how I should be eating. I've done just fine by any and all measures, thank you very much.

Now I really want to see your diary...for ideas. ;)
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I'll jump in. This past Christmas season was my first Christmas in CICO land. I discovered that there is indeed an attractive calorie-dense food which I cannot eat in moderation. Pecan pie. It was good, but it won't be invited into my home again. I had 30 grams of fruitcake every day for 2 months, 130 calories each. But portioning enough pecan pie into something I can eat and be satisfied and be under 200 calories proved impossible. I can have Girl Scout Cookies in moderation. I can have fruitcake in moderation. I can even have chia seeds on my homemade pizza in moderation. Now that I've discovered that I can't be moderate with pecan pie, there's no point experimenting with banana pudding and coconut cake. When I was big and fat, no reason existed that I should consider avoiding pies, cakes, or even put chia seeds on a pizza. None at all. When I decided to start living like a small person, everything I could eat was evaluated in a new light. Should I eat it? Some delights pass the test. Some don't. My calorie budget is to get at least 1600 and stop at 1700. Sometimes I eat exercise calories. Yesterday I exercised ate calories.

Pecan pie, apple pie, cherry pie, pumpkin pie, peach pie...all the pies are dangerous to me, but I agree, pecan pie, no such thing as moderation.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    jdb3388 wrote: »
    You guys just take every single word someone writes literally, to the t. I don't mean that you have to spend the rest of your life not eating things you enjoy. I also don't mean that you can NEVER have things you enjoy, or that are calorie dense. What I do mean, and was obvious in the original post, that is if you aren't just looking for something to complain about, is that dieting under the idea that "you can have whatever, so long as it fits in your calorie count" is not an effective long term solution because MOST people, especially larger people, run out of calories waaaaay before they become satiated. If you are a 135lb woman that's 5'9 which I think was an example somewhere in this thread, and you're only eating at a 500 calorie deficit, no *kitten* you are gonna be full before you run out of calories. You're small, even if you aren't at your "goal" you are going to feel satiated. If you are the kind of person who is accustomed to eating 3500-4000 calories a day and your prescribed amount is 2500, there is absolutely NO WAY that you can eat the calorie dense foods you enjoy, but at a lower quantity, and not be absolutely starving to death. Which will lead to a derailment in most people. Contrary to popular belief, will power is not a dominant trait. So there you go, here's another post for you guys to pick apart to for *kitten* that is obviously not what I meant.

Just wait until you are close to goal, and you find out how untrue that statement is. The reason so many people stall out on the 'last 5-10 lbs' (even if they only had 10 lbs to lose at the start), is because it becomes more and more difficult to find places where you can make a sensible cut of 250-500 cals and NOT miss the food enough to derail yourself. Plus, you're losing weight slower resulting in perceived diminishing returns for sticking to plan.

Being a smaller person does not mean you are somehow automatically satiated with the amount of food appropriate for your weight.

On the other hand, if someone is really overweight (I'm thinking mostly morbidly obese or close to it), it is often more than possible to make major calorie cuts with substitutions that don't affect satiety much. Hence the number of people that lose lots of weight by doing things like drink diet soda instead of regular, or decide to have grilled chicken instead of fried, or lose the condiments on sandwiches, etc.
    My n=1 to this: I was never hungrier than when I losing those last 10 lbs getting down to my running race weight of 150 lbs and sub 10% BF.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    jdwils14 wrote: »
    We can be less bitter, people. Just because the OP is a little frustrated doesn't mean we have to let that make us bitter. Give your two cents, but be the stronger person and keep it respectful (some tones can definitely be detected lol).

The OP was just stating that generalized advice of "its all about CICO, stick to a deficit and you will lose weight" is redundant to most people. Different foods have different effects on different people, and not all people's will power is the same, not everyone's kitchen is the same, and not everyone within the same social circles have the same goals with health (namely, in the family).

It is all about perspective. Give your perspective, and be kind and you won't feel as negative as you do when you write a bitter post. Every person on here that is asking for advice is looking for one thing: perspective. So, share yours. How do you not limit yourself and still stay under? Just saying you do doesn't help anyone.

Cheers, mates. Have a good day.

We should make this post into a banner over all MFP threads! Thanks for succinctly saying what many of us want to express.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    To be honest I think that the most frustrating thing about this thread is that the OP is so very close to having some good points - they're just coming out all wrong and instead of being helpful it's just coming off as a massive generalization (because no ifs, ands or buts were included in the original post) and a little condescending.

And when someone posts a thread that denounces an entire section of MFP users, whether intentional or not, you have to expect some blowback.

It's more often than not that only the people who disagree with a post will comment on it. Often times when you agree you don't even bother to comment, so of course most people who have responded to this thread have started their rebuttals with, "actually..."

Some people come here for debate, and some come to find like-minded future friends and helpful advice.
This discussion has been closed.