40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Hi Kids, long time no speak. Great to see all the hiking, skiing, lifting (BOOM!), curling and paddling being done!

I'm slowly getting back into training after several weeks of recovery and PT work.

Since I"ve been at the same weight for over a year, I made a decision to focus on getting leaner as my primary goal over the next 12 weeks. I believe this is required if I want to move closer to the front of the pack in races, since the fastest athletes are usually the leanest.

To help me, I'm going to work with a dietician who is a professional bodybuilder. He offers services for both body builders and endurance athletes to help them get leaner. The goal is to find the nutritional balance that will allow me to drop weight while still supporting the high training volume needed during the build up to race day in 12 weeks. I expect a short term drop off in performance as my carbs are limited, but I"m excited about the long term prospects.

Stay Cool.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,922 Member
    sdereski wrote: »
    Suspension yoga is also Tuesdays, but I just can't fit it all in. If I do, works out to an $80 day. Nope, can't afford that.
    That. Is. Nuts.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,922 Member
    I did cardio, today...my knee is still really twinge-y. :(

Probably a "tendon"....which I am told will heal. But, do I ice it?? Do I still work-out, but just at a reduced pace?? (...um, I am totally going to keep working out...my sleep depends on it!!)

I have to lose 0.5 lbs this week. :( I don't think I am doing a very good job of this.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Beeps2011 wrote: »

Probably a "tendon"....which I am told will heal. But, do I ice it?? Do I still work-out, but just at a reduced pace?? (...um, I am totally going to keep working out...my sleep depends on it!!)

I have to lose 0.5 lbs this week. :( I don't think I am doing a very good job of this.

Icing should reduce the inflammation, and minimize pain. When I have sore or inflamed muscles, I try to follow the RICE approach: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate. Of course, if you keep pushing hard, you might not give it a chance to heal.

Can you work around the knee in your cardio routine? (rowing, swimming, maybe elliptical, etc?)

• larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    I hiked at Torreya State Park yesterday and today {about 7 miles with 22 pound pack}, staying at the primitive camping site at Rock Bluff. Florida does have ups. All my batteries died, so not too many pictures. I'm going back in the morning to do the other trail, also about seven miles, then another night at Rock Bluff. Going to hike all day on Friday. You guys know I'm not one to waste money. It's a 3 buck fee per day to get in the park, but if you are camping, it's just a straight 5.35. You can go in early, hike all day, camp that night, then hike until sunset the next day. So that is 2 days of hiking.

ryezm8t2an9p.jpg

q3hqpmlht02f.jpg

jzsmmmio85zi.jpg

• larrodarro
    The "primitive" camp site has a portapotty. Ha
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    What a wonderful way to stay fit and enjoy some of the beauty this life has to offer.
  • LeoT0917
    gam3rguy wrote: »
    "INSANITY MAX:30 MAX OUT SWEAT"=Done! 22:26!
    "INSANITY MAX:30 360 ABS"=Done! 12:23!

Way to work the plan!
  • LeoT0917
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Beeps2011 wrote: »

Icing should reduce the inflammation, and minimize pain. When I have sore or inflamed muscles, I try to follow the RICE approach: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate. Of course, if you keep pushing hard, you might not give it a chance to heal.

Can you work around the knee in your cardio routine? (rowing, swimming, maybe elliptical, etc?)

I would follow the sage advice of Djproulx. As someone who has chronic knee issues after a bad knee injury, I would select workouts that do not stress your legs/knee, until it has healed. It's important to keep your mind on the big picture with respect to health and fitness. In addition to D's excellent suggestions for alternative workouts, you may also want to consider weight/strength training that focuses on the core and upper body.
  • tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    AOS Providence done
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    "INSANITY MAX:30 MAX OUT STRENGTH"=Done! 14:37!
  • txpetvet
    txpetvet Posts: 13 Member
    Hi I'm over 50 and would love to join
  • larrodarro
    I added 5 little Cutie oranges to my pack and reweighed it this morning. 33.4 pounds. Man that fruit is heavy fuel.
  • larrodarro
    Well, I also added some water, a little pillow to go between my knees, etc. etc. . . .
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    @larrodarro - beautiful pictures. Looks like a great hike! Enjoy.

Was supposed to run yesterday. So, we started out, ran about 3km when my girlfriend needed to stop and walk, ended up being an 8km walk / gab fest with my gal pals. Can't keep doing that if we are going to be ready for our half in June. :p
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    12km row in 1:08h.

Quick conversation with an elderly woman peddling on the recumbent bike

Her: "Are you still growing? I think you're taller than when I saw you last."

Me: "I hope not! I stopped growing 30 years ago."

Her: "30 years? Surely not. You would have been just a baby!"

:smiley:
  • LeoT0917
    txpetvet wrote: »
    Hi I'm over 50 and would love to join

Welcome!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Hope all is well. Upper body is done. I may have just enough power left to get my crossfit style class completed. The name keeps on changing, first it was "Meltdown and now it called "Inferno. Regardless of the name, the pain is still the same (lol). Larro, lovely photos, Beeps, I hope your knee recovers in record time, and Gam3rguy, what is the next challenge for you? Have a great day everyone.
  • elizabeppes
    elizabeppes Posts: 46 Member
    So - I injured myself on Sunday playing tennis... i had been on road to finding my running self again - finished a 1/2 on March 19 but now - iliotibial band has me not running- what outside can I do besides walk? I am going to try cycling tomorrow.... damn just frustrated-