WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2017

Options

Replies

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Janet in OK ~ Lovely granddaughter and her date isn't too bad on the eyes either.

Becca ~ Your Wizard of Oz photo was funny! Stay strong.

Janet in NC ~ I can just imagine how tired you felt after the sale. It might have been slow because Spring Break is on for a lot of folks.

Supposed to be warm and sunny here today. Tomorrow, all commuters to Atlanta are dreading the traffic due to the I-85 bridge closure that happened a couple of weeks ago. So glad I can stay home!

Carol in GA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,049 Member
    Options
    Janetr Prom photo was fun to see.

(((Sarah)) we had a drain back up and that was bad enough. A whole basement. Awful. Try to pace yourself with lots of breaks. So sorryyyyyyyyyyy!

Being vigilant on doing those exercises as your DH is doing key to his healing. Kudos to him. My knee is starting to improve with doing exercises prescribed by PT. I know it is hard to be patient as you heal. I know I pay a price if I do not pace myself. I was able to do some gardening yesterday and I did get to the pool too. Progress.

:heart: Margaret
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,109 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-6X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-36X7X 35

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    Buns, Guns and Abs challenge.
    Rest day squats
    9 push-ups
    35 leg lifts

April move your @$$ Challenge
    I am going to take 2-2 mile walks today.

I dropped another 0.6 pound today!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Rode the recumbant bike for an hour today. What I really should have done is taken by headphones downstairs and listened to an audiobook. Well...live and learn.

The plan for tomorrow is to do a bit of pilates, hold my plank, then take the extremepump class. Afterwards, I go to the church to count the money. We don't have bowling this or next week. Ceramics at night and then mahjongg.

Sharon - I bet you looked spectacular in your dress. You should keep it for a while

Lenora - when I'm reading posts on MFP and then need to go to google, I just open another window leaving MFP one still open.

Karen in VA - I'm like you, I just donate things. To be honest, I can't go thru all the bother of pricing things then having to sit around and hope they get bought. To me, it just isn't worth it. The one thing Vince keeps telling me that I need to be more specific in my descriptions. Like "1 women gown". Is it a prom gown or wedding gown? Evidently, there are different amounts you can deduct for them. Casual shoes? I just don't know all the categories, and TurboTax is where you find them, which is what I don't have. Personally, for the few times (like 2 maybe) that I make a donation, I don't understand why Vince doesn't just decide himself which category they go in. Why he doesn't just write up the description is beyond me

NYKaren - the last time I had hives the MD prescribed Prednisone for me.

Chris - hope you can get your iPad fixed yourself. Congrats on the loss. That'll help outweigh the gain you're expecting (which might not even happen)

Sarah - don't get too wet! Sending only good thoughts to you

FourLynne - welcome. Tell us more about yourself. You'll get lots of encouragement here, that's for sure

barbie - glad you had such a great time at the concert

Michele in NC
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Sharon ~ Congrats on all the compliments on your dress! Could you post a picture of you in it? I bet you looked spectacular.

Barbie ~ Sounds like you had a delightful day going to the theater with your friend and dining on good food. So sorry Jake wasn't able to go with you.

Fixing to walk the Pom!

Carol
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Here and home safe! Catching up on posts, will write and reply either later tonight or tomorrow! <3 ttfn KJ (Kelly)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,202 Member
    Options
    Barbie - So glad you had an amazing day. I always think you can pack so much into one day out, it's as if you've been on holiday. Tiring though. <3

Janetr - Your granddaughter looks a lot like you. Lovely girl and lovely dress. We do proms in Britain nowdays, but we never did when I was a girl. I think I would have found it all very stressful.

Sharon - So sorry about your basement! Horrible!

I've just been for a rare walk around the lanes with DH. He gets out most days, but I'm not a keen walker in the countryside. It is stunningly beautiful here at the moment and the weather is perfect, so I felt I had to get out. Not counting those calories in my daily total. The bluebells are out and lots of butterflies this year. I did the "short walk" - only about 45 mins, but better than nothing. I did my usual exercises this morning. DH carried on for the long walk. After the indulgence of the last two days I have to up my game. My knee wasn't too happy, or I would have continued. It varies so much from day to day. ;):*:/

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Becca: I was a classroom teacher for many years. Writing straight horizontal words on a chalkboard is not easy. It is a feat for superwoman or superman. :ohwell:

Sharon: I'm sorry your worries were activated by the wedding festivities and DH's wobbly pops. I hope today is a better day. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I have extra pounds this morning. It is time for me to measure every bite and swallow again. :embarassed:

NYKaren: Look up urticaria online. I think that is the medical term for hives. DH has had urticaria problems in the past and it occasionally flairs up but no recent problems. I have a dear friend with chronic urticaria. Her case is serious. :sad:

Sarah: I'm so sorry about your flooded basement. I hope you can get it dried out quickly and it hasn't damaged things you value. (((hugs)))

Penny: We had a Toyota Land Cruiser decades ago and it was enormous. Ours didn't have power steering or sound insulation. We traded it for something quieter & easier to handle. Enjoy your grandchildren! :smiley:

FourLynne62: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. :smile:

Barbie: I'm happy you enjoyed Shen Yun. I hope Jake will get a chance to see it in the future. :heart:

Michele and Karen in VA: We simply donate things too. We don't want strangers coming to our house to buy items we no longer want, and look for things to steal. :noway:

I am ready for my coffee and I am pretty sure the timer is up. I got a notice to update my phone while the timer was running and so I don't know for sure. they want me to set a password and I don't want to do it so they nag me about it. GRRRR!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,109 Member
    Options
    Chris- thanks so much for sharing your story of abuse with us. You talked of your step father in past tense has he passed away? I know sometimes they suggest confronting your abuser in the form of writing, reading it to them, and then burning it! Congratulations on your low weight! You are doing amazing!

Karen VA- thanks! Those peppermint patties can be dangerous! I love the moccasins that your partner made for Olivia!

Barbie - I am glad that you and your walking partner enjoyed your day! I'm sure it was hard to leave your DH at home. Especially when he had planned that event so carefully for the both of you.

Janetr - your granddaughter is lovely! What a beautiful prom picture!

Sharon- I am so glad that you received compliments on your dress. It was also complements toward your accomplishments.

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Becca - glad you didn't blow away on Friday. Cute Little House on the Prairie look - and your chalkboard idea is great. I read somewhere that folks who write sentences that slant upward....are optimists! Mine tend to travel north as well so I need lined paper.

Quick thought about handwriting-there was news last year that cursive wasn't going to be taught anymore at some schools, not sure if that's true? Anyhow, if that happens, I wonder if handwriting experts will go by the wayside? I wish I would have kept more of my mom's letters and cards just to see her beautiful handwriting. My grandfather's was neat as well....lots of "flourishes".

Chris, I think you'll do fine on your lunch date meal as well. Thank you for sharing your story ((((hugs)))) and we celebrate your progress to emotional and physical health. You rock!

Barbie - what a great day in Seattle! The performance sounded wonderful and of course all the eateries around there....makes it hard to choose. :) Glad the wind and rain got it out of its system on Friday. Hope Jake has another exciting event planned you can both go to. Glad he's on the mend.

Lisa - sounds like a good vacation planned. You and Corey will have fun playing Grandparents for a bit. I'd like to hitch a ride in your suitcase to that lodge in Arkansas. B) Great idea scoping out the area for future retirement possibilities. Your peacock painting is gorgeous. Love to see all the talent here!

Janetr,
    gorgeous granddaughter and date photo. They are both cuties! Fifty years ago... hard to believe isn't it?

Heather - how thrilling to be there with Bea taking steps! Did you get your fill of hugging and smooching those grandbabies? LOL. Love the analogy that like Bea, one slip and fall won't defeat you. Something I need to remind myself of more. And glad you got a nice walk in with DH! Love being outside on a nice spring day!

Sharon - glad the wedding went so well! Yes, photos of you in the dress please!! One of us may want to put dibs on it and tell your sis to step to the back of the line. ;)

Kate in UK - how's the eye doing? I forget - did you have both done or just one?

Margaret, I don't do any particular warm-ups for my knee. I have noticed that I had a couple pairs of walking shoes which really made it ache and I got rid of them - must have been the height of the heel or composition of the sole? So buying shoes is a challenge not just for my feet but the knee as well. Got my walk in this morning and it's feeling great, I think inactivity is harder on it that using it.

Karen in Virgina - those moccasins for Olivia are adorable! Are these something your partner has made before? Reason I ask is that everyone seems to knit or crochet footwear for babies, first time I've seen these (made out of felt?) Very special!

NYKaren - yikes! Hives! Had them many years ago as an allergic reaction to Sulfa and have had them localized (reaction to surgical glue after gall bladder surgery.... welts all over my tummy and itched like crazy!) Glad the Benadryl took care of it. Any more clues as to what set it off?

Sarah, so sorry your basement is getting water, I was crossing fingers you'd make it through the thaw. I'm sure you'll burn many calories.

Katla, we're with you and others on not having strangers around the house-so prefer to donate. We have a lot of great spots who gladly take donations - church missions, locally based thrift shops that support causes right here. I take dead/dying TV's and electronics to the Goodwill instead of paying to dump them off at Solid Waste Transfer Station. The thrift shop for our senior center fell through for now - darn, I was starting a pile of "nice" stuff for them. Hopefully in a month or so they'll get it going again.

Welcome Carmen from Oklahoma and FourLynne62! And other newbies! I see a lot of new faces popping in - this is a terrific supportive group - lots of different weight loss and maintenance ideas here. I've only been here a few months and have learned LOTS!!!

Had a nice walk this morning...there was a "murder" of very noisy crows in the trees down by the corner of our road - thought I saw a dead critter (kitty maybe? :'( back there they were probably eyeballing.

Haven't heard yet if I'll be needed this week at my casual/part-time/temporary job. Kind of hoping they don't need me this week. If they do I'll tell them I can only come on rainy mornings - we've had so few sunny days our outdoor projects are backing up.

The little tomatoes are alive but mad at me - the undersides of their leaves are purple which means they aren't taking up certain minerals because of the cold soil....hoping the greenhouse gives them some 80f warm up today. Wondering what our summer will be like. Our favorite tomatoes, by the way, are a variety called "Stupice" - very early, tasty, medium sized little guys who don't mind the cooler weather.

OK, better get busy. Before I go, found a cute inspirational message I hope you'll enjoy:

pnrj5rragxh0.jpg

Have a great Sunday all!

Lanette
    SW WA State

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Oh Ladies ... I am so impressed with all of your talents and strengths and wisdom!

Lenora ... you asked where my son is ... he's finishing his first year at Lipscomb University in Nashville. He's a contemporary music major (a needle in a haystack career choice). He is an extremely gifted guitarist and has recently discovered that his voice talents are rivaling his guitar skills. His hope/dream is to be a songwriter or producer ... not so much a performer. We agreed to help fund this endeavor because he had a very rocky high school career due to chronic migraines and we believed that he would do best following a career track that was highly interesting to him and therefore highly motivating. He really didn't attend high school for the last 2-1/2 years...and my thoughts about that are not particularly good. I fault the school, his doctors and, to some degree, myself for agreeing to it. He was not prepared to go to college. And yet, miraculously, he is doing a pretty good job of it. However ... his management of money leaves a lot to be desired. Thus, the need for a discussion when he gets home. Is he "spoiled" ... in a word, yes. Even at school he managed to land a part-time job that pays $100 for about two hours work each Sunday! He's balking at working for minimum wage this summer ... awww.

Knees ... it must be the season of knee problems.

Sigh. I was in the ER last night unable to put weight on my knee. Long story I won't bore you all with. Suffice to say that my plans to take care of my Dad have been derailed. A neighbor came in to help take care of our son last night and we're scrambling to find emergency staff for today. All of my plans are thrown out the window. Seriously, I do not have time for this!! I'm to make an appointment tomorrow with an orthopedic doctor, who I'm sure will order an MRI and then,Margaret, order PT which I won't be able to get to since I'm hobbling around on crutches. My DH (who is recovering from back surgery and couldn't even load the dishwasher last night) will drive to Cleveland (4 hours) to take care of my dad?? I am so angry with myself right now!! And that budget that we just crafted? That got thrown out the window as well with my new inability to work!

So please keep sharing your lovely photos and your courageous stories ... you are all blessings to me!

Beth in a chair near Buffalo

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    I wonder if ‘tromping’ through the woods, burns more calories than just ‘walking’ through them?

Machka9 – Don’t have to ‘close out’ of a program/app, such as MFP to get information from another search engine. It pops up and I can see things like, ‘what word describes sitting in yoga positions’ and it will throw up several pages I can check out; and click on it and it will take me to several locations, like opening up Google; but, still keeping my other apps/programs running. Yeah, ‘close out’ like “X-ing” out of a program to go look something up. I’m sure you can do that with Google; I have just not had too good of a time getting back to the program I am using. Use it a lot when I am working in Excel and/or Word.

Margaret – I had a lot of teachers like that in school; maybe one advantage to living in a small town. The HS I went to was a ‘college prep’ HS; but, also had a large ‘technical’ building for FFA/FHA for those who were not going to college; either going directly to school, into the service, or taking over their family’s farm; but, all-in-all – still prepared to go off to college insofar as English, Math, History, Biology, etc., those ‘core classes’ that all college students have to take. I expected a lot out of myself, mostly because I wanted my parents to know they had done a good job raising me. I also expected it because I wanted others to ‘know’ my parents had raised me ‘right’. I wanted it because I had gone off to school. Eventually, I learned to ‘love to read’; not something I did in school. IF you can get your children or grandchildren to understand that ‘reading’ will give them a lot in return, they will do better in life.
    Oh, I can’t wait until DOS cleans up the pool and it is warm enough outside to be able to get into it.

Karen in Virginia – Love the baby shoes!

Michele – I can do that, it just isn’t quite as convenient (for me). I ‘like’ easy, at the tips of your fingers kind of things.

Katla – I’d never had a ‘garage sale’ where people had to come inside my home. But, even ‘if’ we lived in town – I wouldn’t have one without the help of someone else. Putting money in a ‘fanny pack’ is a lot safer than someone sitting at a table with a box for the money (other than it is easier if they have a cash register draw to put the money in. People do come to garage sales to ‘scope out what they is in a house ’and‘ work in pairs to distract the one taking in money’. I will ‘stop by and look, if I have time to do so on Saturdays’. I got a wicker base to a table for $10, all I need to do is get a piece of glass cut to go on top of it.
    Thankfully, I had ‘just enough’ juice on my cellphone to take some pictures of DMGD of her with her prom dress on. She was absolutely ‘stunning’ in it. I will try to figure out how to post a picture of it her. I need to save the picture from the smartphone to my laptop first.

Lisa – My DOGD’s ‘egg donor’ … ‘incubator’ is a ‘trip to take home to wherever’; she is just one ‘piece o’$#*T art’; but, I never ‘downgrade her’ to or in front of my DOGD, like her step-Mom (DDnL#1) does. I have told her ‘numerous’ times that ‘she should stop, as regardless of what any of us ‘think’; she is STILL her Mama. One day she ‘might’ have the opportunity to ‘kiss and make up’ with her – and it will be ‘hurtful’. She’s already told her, ‘… then talk to your Daddy; or better yet, go talk to your Mama’! What a ‘low blow’ to someone that you have helped raise for the past 7 years. It even ‘hurt’ DOGD for her to say this to her. Personally, I don’t ‘care’ if she said it ‘under stress’ … she needs to ‘shut her mouth on that subject’. DOGD will ‘buy’ an extra ticket so that he Mom can come to her graduation from college and that is in December. She already gets a certain number of tickets; any more have to be ‘paid for’.
    Paint? As in ‘artist’ painting? Beautiful picture of the peacock – it even looks like stained glass!

Carol – Was the I-85 bridge that fell anywhere near where I-185 (????) comes around Atlanta (the one that has a roadway several 100’ above the ground? I am always amazed at how they could build that for large tractor trailers to be on. They have the same sort of thing down in Jacksonville, FL where you would go over it to get to St. Augustine (where we take the girls for a long-weekend vacation). I have a former HS friend who lives near there. She doesn’t work; but, said that it took her over 2 hours to get home from somewhere and she was taking ‘back roads’ to get there.

Lenora
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    <3Beth, sending hugs to you.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Beth - ouch! So sorry to hear this. I actually had pain a couple times so bad last fall I couldn't walk, so did the elevate and ice thing and it got thru the acute stage (never did go to the doctor then) but when it got chronic, it was worrisome. Walking didn't hurt but bending the knee and putting weight on it (like on all fours) did. So I was surprised when the MRI showed zip. Learning more about it - evidently there is tendonitis and bursitis that can happen.

I never could pinpoint what I did originally that caused the pain - no falling, bumping, etc.

Glad you can see an ortho doc right away! Hope you mend quickly. A lot going on for you right now. More big hugs!!!!! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    HI folks, I can use some encouragement. I lost 30 pounds on here but got away from it during my divorce (yeah, that weight loss opened up ALL kinds of doors!!), gained it back and now I need to lose the weight again. I know this one really works if you stick to it. Diets don't work but managing calories and offsetting with exercise really makes sense and it works.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    <3