Other people's reactions to your weight loss or diet

Options

Replies

• junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    SoyD986 wrote: »
    This is a great post and helpful to me at 110 or so days in to my journey. I'm down about 30-32lbs from 240-210 on my 5'5" frame and about 1 size down that I've just started dressing for. I have literally had not one person comment, mention or say one word about my weight loss except someone asking (finally!) last week if I was losing weight and then walked away (I was like, couldn't a sister get a "you look good!"?). :p

I didn't start and I'm not doing this journey for others - but a little validation from someone, anyone, a high five, secret handshake, whatever would be great ... especially because right now I can't really see a difference and am still stuck on being +30lbs heavier than where I was when I started gaining like an animal. Le sigh. The struggle is real people.

You ARE doing awesome! And you look marvelous! Keep up the good work. :)
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    SoyD986 wrote: »
    This is a great post and helpful to me at 110 or so days in to my journey. I'm down about 30-32lbs from 240-210 on my 5'5" frame and about 1 size down that I've just started dressing for. I have literally had not one person comment, mention or say one word about my weight loss except someone asking (finally!) last week if I was losing weight and then walked away (I was like, couldn't a sister get a "you look good!"?). :p

I didn't start and I'm not doing this journey for others - but a little validation from someone, anyone, a high five, secret handshake, whatever would be great ... especially because right now I can't really see a difference and am still stuck on being +30lbs heavier than where I was when I started gaining like an animal. Le sigh. The struggle is real people.

You're doing great - keep up the good work!

If it helps, someone described it to me as "the paper towel effect". If you take a few sheets off a full roll of paper towel, you hardly notice any difference. But take the same number of sheets off a half-used roll and suddenly it looks a lot smaller!

For me, it seemed like my first 20lbs made no difference to the way I looked - inches were being lost, but I didn't think I looked any smaller and certainly no one else noticed until I lost at least 30. The most recent 10lbs (of the 60 in total that I've lost so far) has made a huge difference. I guess it does help that I'm getting close to a normal BMI range now, but I'm still nowhere near "slim".

Dressing in clothes that actually fit and aren't too loose also helps... I used to hide under baggy clothes but now I hate the way they look and want to wear more fitted things!

Make sure you take photos, even if you never want anyone else to see them, because that really does help you to see the difference for yourself. Take measurements regularly too, for extra motivation when the scale's not moving. :)
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    And now for something completely different:
    I saw a former coworker in Walmart recently. She stopped me and gushed about how much weight I've lost. She was really piling on the compliments! It was a nice feeling... for a little while. She was a serial dieter when we worked together. I noticed she had lost some weight, but nothing drastic. I said, "You look like you've lost weight, too! Good for you!"

"Oh. I guess you haven't heard. I have breast cancer."

OMFG. This is EXACTLY why people avoid mentioning weight loss/gain. Ugh. No coming back from that one.
    (Also, don't worry. Her prognosis is very good.)

Huh. Not sure I would bring up my illness at that point to someone.
  • BABYLILAC
    BABYLILAC Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've been receiving positive compliments. I'm currently 160 and when I tell some folks my goal of reaching 130s possible mid 120's, they worry I'll look too small. I have to remind them I'm only 5'2 and I'm doing all this ultimately to prevent high blood pressure which leads to heart disease. That works to stop all concerns.

I will use your high blood pressure sentence from now on. In all honesty my family has a history of high blood pressure . A cousin of mine passed last year because of high blood pressure , he was in his forties .

My work colleagues never mentioned anything until recently when one of them said ohh you have lost a lot of weight .
    Hubby and daughter are very happy for me . My sister in laws think I am doing it for vanity . I saw two of them last week and they were surprised how different I look since I last saw them last Christmas . They had the audacity to tell me to stop loosing the weight otherwise I will look old . I am not even at the healthy weight yet , now left with 10 lbs . They are both obese no sure what's that about :(
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Very few people have said much to me and I'm glad of that since I'm very bad at taking compliments. I think
    folks at my office are aware since they see me at lunch everyday with them and it's always salad or soup.
    They all remember me going thru this ritual a few years ago, and may be apprehensive about commenting since I gained
    a lot of it back years ago.
    There are friends I see every weekend that have yet To make a comment....that's fine with me.

I have another group of people I consult with at a hospital and I see them 2 days a month, they have all had very positive things
    to say and I value their opinion since they are all medical administration and people affiliated in the healthcare industry.
    I found it odd that they had more to say then my friends that I see every week.

As stated before, while I appreciate their acknowledgements, I did this for me and I would not be the least upset is no one
    complicated me or said a single thing.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    I have had several random people (cashier at the pharmacy, etc.) tell me I'm "too thin now" or look "sick". I get a lot of snark for being low carb as well. Obesity being so normalized makes being a normal weight person frustrating sometimes -_-

Yes. People think I'm weird for counting calories when I'm "thin". (I'm still comfortably in the "overweight" range, just not "obese"). General perception has been so skewed by the majority of people being at least somewhat overweight (and many obese)(at least in Buffalo, NY).
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    I have had several random people (cashier at the pharmacy, etc.) tell me I'm "too thin now" or look "sick". I get a lot of snark for being low carb as well. Obesity being so normalized makes being a normal weight person frustrating sometimes -_-

Yes. People think I'm weird for counting calories when I'm "thin". (I'm still comfortably in the "overweight" range, just not "obese"). General perception has been so skewed by the majority of people being at least somewhat overweight (and many obese)(at least in Buffalo, NY).

Lol it's even worse in the Midwest. I think I live in the fattest state. Everyone it seems like is obese or morbidly obese.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1 and when my mom saw me at 200lbs (my profile picture) she said I looked too thin and was worried if i was sick ha. I tried to tell her 200lbs is still a large male but it takes time for people to adjust when they're used to a rounder version of yourself i suppose.

Everyone else though, their reactions through the process were always happy/excitement for me
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Most people have been supportive, but one family member worries

Don't mind that doctor, is a healthy habit like having a shedule for your day.
    brdnw wrote: »
    I'm 6'1 and when my mom saw me at 200lbs (my profile picture) she said I looked too thin and was worried

I'm the same, my mom worries I'll lose too much, I'm in normal bmi range but still have excess body fat around the abdomen. They might think that we're starving.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!