Which lifting program is the best for you?

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    fascha wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    From what I've seen most people are lucky to squeeze a year out of SL. Nothing wrong with that, usually just gets harder to make gains linearly after a while.

I've thru both SS and SL once and had maxed out in both of them after only 4-5 months, which is not unusual based on the charts published by Rippetoe illustrating the rate of progress from beginner to intermediate among those using his program.

That's true, I don't add weight like I used to every week, maybe every couple months my workweight will change but I meant I follow the 5x5. I absolutely don't add weight often

So, basically you aren't doing SLs as it's written. You're doing squats, bench, dead, OHP, rows and accessory work at whatever weight you feel you can lift. If it's working for ya, go for it! If it's not getting you the results you want, you may want to try one of the intermediate programs listed.

yes, exactly that. I used to be more concerned about adding weight and getting stronger but I really only lift now to maintain my muscle mass so it works!
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Keep in mind that not everyone is going to progress at the same pace on SL, depending on their deficit/maintenance/surplus, as well as starting state. I started 6 months ago, eating at maintenance with not very much muscle and consider myself novice in a lot of lifts.
  • deadliftsandnoodles
    deadliftsandnoodles Posts: 312 Member
    I find myself reverting back to the 5x5 program, now i shifted to the 531 program as i'm powerlifting, but days where i want to get volume in i do the 5x5
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    I'm also doing 5/3/1 and add in some BBB work with 5x5's. I agree it's a solid rep scheme for getting some volume in. I just wasn't sure how it was possible to follow SL5x5 - as written - for several years. (Even on 5/3/1 I can tell that the end is probably nearing in the next year or so.)
    As @quiksylver296 pointed out, using a 5x5 rep scheme isn't the same as following SL5x5 though.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    The one that works for me personally. When it doesn't I'll change again.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    edited March 2017
    Total body workouts
    -High rep
    -Time under tension ( slowly lower raise / just short of lockout)
    -heavy.

.. probably will go back to 5x5 or something else in a few months
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    I've been looking for something I can try at home, since a gym membership or purchasing any equipment is out of the question right now, and the "You Are Your Own Gym" book is available at my library. However, I see that the author has also written a book aimed specifically at women called "Body By You".

Many of the things I've read here and elsewhere indicate that women don't need a specific program and there's no reason why we can't work out in the same way as men. So my question is, which book should I read? :) Has anyone here read both and can comment on the differences?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    I've been looking for something I can try at home, since a gym membership or purchasing any equipment is out of the question right now, and the "You Are Your Own Gym" book is available at my library. However, I see that the author has also written a book aimed specifically at women called "Body By You".

Many of the things I've read here and elsewhere indicate that women don't need a specific program and there's no reason why we can't work out in the same way as men. So my question is, which book should I read? :) Has anyone here read both and can comment on the differences?

We have both books in our house and I can confirm that there is very little difference between the two. I bought the BBY copy for my wife because it was a pain us both trying to use the same book (we had to use different coloured post-its to keep track of where we were).

I can pull together something more detailed if you'd like?
  • SueSueDio
    We have both books in our house and I can confirm that there is very little difference between the two. I bought the BBY copy for my wife because it was a pain us both trying to use the same book (we had to use different coloured post-its to keep track of where we were).

If you wouldn't mind, that would be great - I'd love some more info! I'm a complete beginner and very weedy (poor balance too), so I'd like something that starts out gently and increases slowly so as not to discourage me from continuing. :)

Thank you!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator

Ironically, this is what I am discovering, too, with Bigger Leaner Strong vs Thinner Leaner Stronger. The main difference in those two books are the rep range.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member

If you wouldn't mind, that would be great - I'd love some more info! I'm a complete beginner and very weedy (poor balance too), so I'd like something that starts out gently and increases slowly so as not to discourage me from continuing. :)

Thank you!

To avoid clogging up this thread, I created a new one.. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10528464/you-are-your-own-gym-versus-body-by-you/p1?new=1

with some pics of Table of Contents and some sample pages from each book
  • SueSueDio
    Thank you so much, @StealthHealth ! *runs away to read*
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,030 Member
    edited March 2017

Thank you!

To avoid clogging up this thread, I created a new one.. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10528464/you-are-your-own-gym-versus-body-by-you/p1?new=1

with some pics of Table of Contents and some sample pages from each book

@StealthHealth
    Thanks for doing that for us!! :smiley:
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    eeejer wrote: »
    you may want to add this site which helps you pick a program based on goals etc http://rohitnair.net/pp/
    Thanks eeejer this site is straight forward to use and very informative!

• 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Thank you for this! Much appreciated!
  • FHImagined
    FHImagined Posts: 145 Member
    Just what I was looking for. Thank you!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    In order of priority: Martial arts (krav maga), Lifting (currently SL5x5), and far third Running (5-10k). Right now my routine is

Monday: AM Lift, PM Krav
    Tuesday: Krav
    Wednesday: rest
    Thursday: Krav
    Friday: Lift
    Saturday: Run
    Sunday: Rest

There's a long list at the beginning of this thread: any recommendations for programs that might be better for lifting only 2x/week? I've lifted on and off for a while, but I still need a beginners program.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    lilawolf wrote: »
    In order of priority: Martial arts (krav maga), Lifting (currently SL5x5), and far third Running (5-10k). Right now my routine is

Monday: AM Lift, PM Krav
    Tuesday: Krav
    Wednesday: rest
    Thursday: Krav
    Friday: Lift
    Saturday: Run
    Sunday: Rest

There's a long list at the beginning of this thread: any recommendations for programs that might be better for lifting only 2x/week? I've lifted on and off for a while, but I still need a beginners program.

Since you are only lifting 2x a week, you can take a 3 day full body and either cut out the last day, or you can spread it out over an extended period of time. So workout A, B, C would look like:

Week 1: A, B
    Week 2: C, A
    Week 3: B, C

etc...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Giving this a bump.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Sorry if this has been asked. Are any programs body part specific person day. I mean leg day, arm day.. etc. I've done new rules and got to when the workouts were starting to take almost 2 hours. I could do it because I became bored and not enough variety (full body and a day 1/2 program).