Which lifting program is the best for you?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    terrie_k wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked. Are any programs body part specific person day. I mean leg day, arm day.. etc. I've done new rules and got to when the workouts were starting to take almost 2 hours. I could do it because I became bored and not enough variety (full body and a day 1/2 program).

I wouldn't do a body part split. Largely, they are not very effective. If you want some variety, you can look at thinner leaner stronger (3 different programs and rotates every 8 weeks).

How long have you been lifting though? And at this point what are your goals?
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    edited April 2017
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked. Are any programs body part specific person day. I mean leg day, arm day.. etc. I've done new rules and got to when the workouts were starting to take almost 2 hours. I could do it because I became bored and not enough variety (full body and a day 1/2 program).

I wouldn't do a body part split. Largely, they are not very effective. If you want some variety, you can look at thinner leaner stronger (3 different programs and rotates every 8 weeks).

Previously I had been lifting on and off for 2 years. It would be largely I would do the NROLFW and get to stage 5 then stop and take a break.. restart. I got bored of the length of time it took (2 hours sometimes) and typically it would take me to summer where I focus more of sports and had less desire to be indoors.
    Now, I'm 12 weeks post c section and looking to get back into lifting to get back to where I started body wise, ideally more defined than before. I have inches to lose everywhere. I was lifting until the month I got pregnant but that was not because of pregnancy but again, summer sports. I know I will have to take things slow so I was looking for a program to just keep me interested while I was using low weights until I can get back into making some gains. I want to do it alongside spin class which I am doing 2-3 days a week.

• psuLemon

Previously I had been lifting on and off for 2 years. It would be largely I would do the NROLFW and get to stage 5 then stop and take a break.. restart. I got bored of the length of time it took (2 hours sometimes) and typically it would take me to summer where I focus more of sports and had less desire to be indoors.
    Now, I'm 12 weeks post c section and looking to get back into lifting to get back to where I started body wise, ideally more defined than before. I have inches to lose everywhere. I was lifting until the month I got pregnant but that was not because of pregnancy but again, summer sports. I know I will have to take things slow so I was looking for a program to just keep me interested while I was using low weights until I can get back into making some gains. I want to do it alongside spin class which I am doing 2-3 days a week.

How often do you want to lift? 3 days or 4 days? In the past, how well where you able to recover with spin class? And are you goals just general aesthetic and fitness or do you have other goals?
  • terrie_k

How often do you want to lift? 3 days or 4 days? In the past, how well where you able to recover with spin class? And are you goals just general aesthetic and fitness or do you have other goals?

General aesthetic. I like being able to lift heavier and heavier but I feel more accomplished in inches lost vs weights gained on the bar. I'm hoping 3 days a week. Spin doesn't seem to affect me, even when I started back up, nothing was sore the next day except my butt.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Doing GZCL program, 4 days a week.

It's a program which has primary lifts (squats/deads/bench/OHP/etc.) at high weight, low rep, strength focus,
    followed by secondary lifts which compliment the primaries (i.e. for squat, you can do front squats, pause squats, or more squats at lighter weight) at medium weight medium reps (3-4 sets, 6-10 reps),
    then accessories bodybuilding style to finish it off (10-15 reps, hypertrophy focus).

Cycles are 3 weeks minimum. I use the 4th week to re-test my maxes.

I love it. Has the balance between strength and aesthetics, can do it on a cut (reduce volume a little), or make great gainzzz on a bulk. Monthly weight progression, where you test your 1RM - if you can achieve higher reps, you can increase your work weight by 5lbs to 15lbs (if you achieve 15lbs, that's almost 5lbs/week).

I hear amazing reviews for his UHF program (ultra high frequency), but I'm saving that for a bulk / when I'm more advanced.

Naturally, the creator of this program, Cody Lefever is Brutally. Strong. And equally knowledgeable.

Edit:
    List of all programs here

The beginner Linear Progression Version (CTRL+F GZCLP)
    The GZCL is good for intermediates and advanced
    UHF and the Rippler is late intermediate / advanced

Currently running the 9 week UHF as part of my meet prep. Had to skip to week 2 because my meet is in early June, but I am definitely feeling its benefits. I love how T2 is having me to help strengthen main lifts. Also, looking forward to overload training with slingshot bench and doing SSB squats for the first time!!
  • psuLemon

General aesthetic. I like being able to lift heavier and heavier but I feel more accomplished in inches lost vs weights gained on the bar. I'm hoping 3 days a week. Spin doesn't seem to affect me, even when I started back up, nothing was sore the next day except my butt.

I'd consider thinner leaner stronger by Mike Matthews. Its a very flexible program that includes a 3, 4 and 5 day set up with his book. Every 8 weeks, the program is changed which helps with preventing boredom (my biggest issue). And i do most workouts in an hour or less which is a big thing for him. Even program is a 52 week cycle. After that, you can go from a 3 day to a 4 day or move to another program.
  • terrie_k

I'd consider thinner leaner stronger by Mike Matthews. Its a very flexible program that includes a 3, 4 and 5 day set up with his book. Every 8 weeks, the program is changed which helps with preventing boredom (my biggest issue). And i do most workouts in an hour or less which is a big thing for him. Even program is a 52 week cycle. After that, you can go from a 3 day to a 4 day or move to another program.

Thought I would check in and say I picked up the thinner, leaner, stronger book. Good read so far, a lot more to it than NROLFW. Once this sickness I've contracted is over and I get to the wetlght parts I will give it a go. It seems to be what I am looking for where the days are split into more body parts, although compound lifts. Encourages some cardio too which is nice.
    Thanks psuLemon
  • psuLemon
    Great, please feel free to keep us posted on your progress.
  • GoodDayWorkout
    GoodDayWorkout Posts: 36 Member
    edited May 2017
    Thank you @psuLemon for your detailed compilation of programs!

Being new.. this program looks like a good fit for me.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

* I haven't read through the posts yet.

Is anyone doing the a workout routine?
  • no44s4me
    no44s4me Posts: 73 Member
    I use the intermediate version of a workout routine and have bought his two e-books as well. I find them very straightforward and sound. His site "a calorie counter" is worth a read too. Since getting serious about getting in shape a few years ago, I've also picked up copies of New Rules of Lifting for Life, and Bigger, Stronger, Leaner. Good points and insights from both although I find BSL a little heavy on the "squat or nothing" approach and the shameless plug for their line of supplements. I have taken away several good points from both. Bottom line, a workout routine is a great place to start, (as is Strong Lifts I hear), but just start, put in the work, read, learn, and grow, and most importantly enjoy the journey
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    My copy of TLS came last night! I also just finished up a cycle of all pro. This week I kept thinking I never want to do all pro again.

I am anxious to start something new. For those of who have done TLS - can I skip to Section IV - Training (chapters 16-21) to figure out what to do? Or does he jump around a lot and have additional training information in other sections? I also downloaded the bonus report and know that I am interested in a 4 day split.
  • psuLemon
    bioklutz wrote: »
    My copy of TLS came last night! I also just finished up a cycle of all pro. This week I kept thinking I never want to do all pro again.

I am anxious to start something new. For those of who have done TLS - can I skip to Section IV - Training (chapters 16-21) to figure out what to do? Or does he jump around a lot and have additional training information in other sections? I also downloaded the bonus report and know that I am interested in a 4 day split.

You can definitely just start by using the bonus report and if you want to get to know why he suggested what he did, then you can read the book.
  • bioklutz

You can definitely just start by using the bonus report and if you want to get to know why he suggested what he did, then you can read the book.

Thanks! I will probably try to plow through as much of this as I can - sometimes I have a hard time understanding without the why. Maybe I will just kinda mess around for the week. Like test out how much I can comfortably bench, squat, deadlift. Do a high rep low weight day. And try lifts I have been wanting to - like skull crushers, hack squats.
  • psuLemon

Thanks! I will probably try to plow through as much of this as I can - sometimes I have a hard time understanding without the why. Maybe I will just kinda mess around for the week. Like test out how much I can comfortably bench, squat, deadlift. Do a high rep low weight day. And try lifts I have been wanting to - like skull crushers, hack squats.

There are linked in the extra report to show videos all the moves. Also, you should read the part of the training section that talks rep scheme.
  • GoodDayWorkout
    GoodDayWorkout Posts: 36 Member
    no44s4me wrote: »
    I use the intermediate version of a workout routine and have bought his two e-books as well. I find them very straightforward and sound. His site "a calorie counter" is worth a read too. Since getting serious about getting in shape a few years ago, I've also picked up copies of New Rules of Lifting for Life, and Bigger, Stronger, Leaner. Good points and insights from both although I find BSL a little heavy on the "squat or nothing" approach and the shameless plug for their line of supplements. I have taken away several good points from both. Bottom line, a workout routine is a great place to start, (as is Strong Lifts I hear), but just start, put in the work, read, learn, and grow, and most importantly enjoy the journey

Thank you for your thoughts... they are helpful!! I will look into all you noted. I can't wait to start!
  • terrie_k
    Can anyone send me the TLS bonus report? I could not access on my phone. Maybe I need a computer?
  • Jockamo319
    Jockamo319 Posts: 22 Member
    You probably need a computer. I ran into that with the BLS report. It's a zip file, so I had to download on the computer, unzip, and then email the report to myself.
  • bioklutz
    Can anyone send me the TLS bonus report? I could not access on my phone. Maybe I need a computer?
    Jockamo319 wrote: »
    You probably need a computer. I ran into that with the BLS report. It's a zip file, so I had to download on the computer, unzip, and then email the report to myself.

It is also a zip file for TLS. The web address is on page 274 (second edition): https://www.muscleforlife.com/books/thinner-leaner-stronger/?read=true

I entered my e-mail address and it was sent to me. I just downloaded the zip the other day.
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    I tried Jonnie Candito's 6 week intermediate program and got good results. I'm now just trying a watered down version of it because I'm bored with doing the same thing again in a linear progression. I had AlphaDestiny make a custom 3 day upper/lower program for me that I will try as soon as I get more answers from him about this type of program. He says I will make great gains following this program. But before all of that, I just worked out by feel, using BS upper/lower and bro split routines (I made good gains but I eventually started stalling and getting injured til I tried Jonnie's program)
  • JimmyJam019
    JimmyJam019 Posts: 50 Member
    There is a really good complete guide on the Fierce 5 workout