• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    Meg Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou:
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Heather - thanks for the vivid picture of giving the foreigners directions. Certainly made me chuckle first thing this morning. Thanks. :)

I have never heard "dosh" but it gets across the meaning. We might say a lot of "dough".

Janetr okc
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    443081fwtx95sy3b.gif
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Good Tuesday morning to you all. It’s beautiful here and not going to be quite as hot as yesterday…it was over 90, which is very warm for May. Had a quiet birthday evening. DD#1 and BF both texted me happy birthday. She wants me to go with her to her May 30 doctor’s appointment. I said I would which of course made DD#2 mad because I’m “being used” and she won’t “treat me any better”. I just said I have to be the bigger person. I am the most anti-drama person I know…how did I get two daughters who dwell in it?

Big brother is back to work half-time after his heart surgery and seems to be doing well. He still doesn’t know about all the legal stuff; we are waiting for my sister in law to give us the green light to tell him. DH had a long meeting with the attorney yesterday to strategize. This is really getting exhausting!

Heather: I’m surprised your friend doesn’t have an implanted catheter for chemo and blood draws. That’s standard here. Maybe she should ask for one. Saves a lot of trouble and pain down the road.

Janet: I agree with Dana. (((hugs))) Lovely picture of mom!

Michele: I wonder about Sylvia too.

Vicki: glad to hear you are still riding! We have recumbent bikes and it is quite the ordeal to get the bike rack on the jeep and the bikes in it. But we do love them and our backs don’t hurt!

Renee: DD#1 is 24 and DD#2 is 20. Did you see that epic Cubs game with the Yankees Sunday? OMG they actually ran out of balls and had to get more.

DJ: I have been grey since my 30’s. Glad you are enjoying your daughter being home.

Dana: Dolly cracked me up! Thanks for sharing. She is beautiful. How much activity does she need?

Paula: do you have a good stuffed cabbage recipe to share?

Katla: FRESH salmon???? OMG I would die for that! Does your neighbor need a new friend? 

Lisa: I have relatives in both Odessa and Midland. Actually they are all over TX from one end to the other!

Allie: stay strong!

Thank you all for your happy birthday wishes! Take care, Meg from sunny Omaha!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    yesterdays stats

bike ride hm 2 gym- 12.02min. 14.8amph, 140mhr, 2.9mi = 112c
    apple watch- 973c
    day 16-Plyometrics exercises- 24min, 4sets of 10each, squats, burpees, running stationary lunges, single leg toe touches, 125ahr, 140mhr = 120c
    apple watch- 109c
    SPIN CLASS- 35min, 83ar, 90aw, 10-12g, 141mhr, 14.4mi = 281c
    apple watch- 263c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 6.08min, 13.9amph, 142mhr, 1.4mi = 74c
    apple watch- 50c
    bike ride from puyallup 2 sumn station- 14.16min, 12.7amph, 154mhr, 125ahr, 3mi = 159c
    apple iwatch- 119c
    jog station 2 wk- 4.34min, 8.55min mi, 148ahr, 177mhr, .5mi = 77c
    jog wk 2 sta- 4.27min, 9.18min mi, .4mi = 66c
    apple watch- 53c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 17.09min, 9.2amph, 161mhr, 2.6mi = 190c
    apple watch- 162c

total cal 1079
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I hope your wrist protector serves you well. I had a left one and a right one in the past-bought one for each broken wrist. I donated them to the senior center after I finished with them. They were a Godsend while I was healing and more comfortable than going without by far. :star: I haven't heard an American use the word dosh. We use other words like cash, dinero, moolah, beans, sheckles. . .

Lisa: Enjoy the rush! :bigsmile:

Beth: Take out on the road can be handled with strategy. We tend to go to Subway for our lunches because they post calorie & nutritional info and we have the ability to choose and budget our calories. McDonalds is not as easy and tend to have higher calorie offerings but they are getting better at posting calorie and nutritional info than they were. When I order salads in restaurants or as take out, I always have the dressing in a separate container so I can dip my bites into the dressing. It saves me loads of calories and I always have dressing left at the end of the meal. I throw it out. I hope this has gives you an idea or two. :smiley:

Meg: Happy Birthday!!! :star:

Dana: I've never done a handstand and admire Jessica's strength and balance. :flowerforyou:

Our dog is pestering. He wants something but won't eat the food I put down, probably because he won't eat unless we're eating. I'll be taking him to the groomer in another half hour.

Have a great day!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."
  • moma4boys
    moma4boys Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

Meg - Happy Birthday! Hope it was great!

Dana - your youngest daughter is inspiring. My husband and I discussed taking a yoga class together. Don't think we will ever get to you daughter's level though. Lol. Prayers for your oldest daughter. Hope she sticks with a weight management program and gets healthier. It can be such a struggle.

Jen- hi I am relatively new here too. Still trying to keep everyone straight. :smile:

Today is my husband's birthday. We are both working all day but might go out for dinner tonight. Still trying to walk 5 times a week and stick to my calorie limit. Hope I can stick to it tonight.

This weekend my second youngest son graduates! My whole family will be in UW Madison to celebrate. We will also knock out Mother's Day, my husbands birthday, and my future daughter-in-law's birthday. Should be a lot of fun.

Talk to you all later

Helen from Wisconsin
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Good morning peeps!!

Had a little surprise last night when I went to put food in the kitty’s dish – one of the canning shelves had collapsed. Luckily there were only 2 jars of canned potatoes on it….one broke of course so diced potatoes and glass went under DH’s car, I think I managed to get it all swept up. The other jar made it intact somehow. So I spent a little time shifting applesauce and tomatoes around onto stronger shelves. DH thinks the cat had something to do with it. We’ll get the garage washed out today- at least it wasn’t canned tuna!

Becca – DH prefers “name brand” food while I’ll gladly pay less for equivalent store brand… I’ve done the old packaging switcheroo myself. Love those sayings, especially “Pilates” lol.

Orchidmother – I sure hope that trial works for your back pain. When your back hurts, everything hurts.

Lillian – since I retired it seems my memory has retired a bit as well. I know some things I just choose NOT to remember so I don’t mind if that synapse is gone forever. With all of your activities I think you are doing just fine! Enjoy your retirement! Good to see you posting here again!

Renee in Chicagoland – welcome! When I first started on here, I took the time to write down names, locations, and something unique about that person – there were/are probably a couple dozen ‘active’ posters at that time.
    Anyhow that was kind of an anchor for me. There won’t be a quiz on who was up to what at the end of the week, thank goodness!

Janet, what a precious photo of your mom. Gives me the scary shivers to think of getting married at 16! I got the scary shivers when I was married at 25, lol

Joyce, hope that Genie works out OK. Seems strange the receiver was acting up like that but glad DirecTV made it right. My brother north of Indy said they got 2”’ more of rain that wasn’t needed. You poor Hoosiers might do well to grow rice!

Meg- Happy Birthday!

Dana – love Dolly’s smiles. How old is she? WOW your daughter is awesome. Gets me in the mood to take yoga – but graceful handstands will never be in my future.

Allie - you are so right about remembering to live right now and not wait until retirement. Bet your short hair is super cute.

Heather - I too had the wrist braces and they do help. DH has them for both wrists when he overdoes it.

OK peeps, time to get cracking. Have a good day <3

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    Meg - I don't think she's been offered one of those, but I'll tell her about it. She has terminal cancer so there could be a lot of needles in her future. :o

I got on my recumbent bike this afternoon with an online TV programme and got my calories up to 620! Yeah! I can eat!
    I adore my yoga class, but it's not the greatest calorie burn. MFP gives me 238 for 90 minutes. My teacher is so good at being all inclusive. We have someone with a recent back operation, me with a bad arm/wrist, fat people and people over 80. We all do what we can and she suggests modifications. She includes a modicum of chanting and meditation, but doesn't go over the top - she is very down to earth and "normal". It's the one thing I will miss if/when we move.
    We have just changed the advertised price of our house to "offers over" and reduced the price. With all the uncertainty of Brexit the housing market is sagging a bit. Our small, rural village is quite a hard sell. Oh well, nothing we can do about it. We are quite happy here anyway - just felt a change would be good for me/us and wanted to be nearer the grandchildren. <3 At the moment I don't feel life is lacking fun or excitement. :noway:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Heather – I can remember going to Atlanta’s Hartfield (busiest airport in the USA) and having to ride a train out to the gates; if you failed to get off at the one you needed to either had to get out of the one you’re in an walk back and over track to catch the next one (I was supposed to get off at the last one) and did not know we were at the last one until it ‘turned’ around. I was looking at my ticket and freaking out and some nice man told me what I needed to do at the next stop. I guess I might have ridden all the way back to the terminal if that had not occurred. Personally, I don’t think they make it clear. Each stop is for a different airline and people pushing and shoving every step of the way. And that is before they extended it even more.

The American ‘slang’ translation of “LOTS of dosh” would probably be “LOTS of dough.” I’ve learned from you and others ‘across the pond’ that sometimes I have to ‘look up the word being used’ to figure out what you mean through my Cortana (search engine that stays open at the bottom half of any screen [on taskbar]. Might be a ‘Windows’ app.

Right around Olivia was born and in the NICU; seems like someone else’s grandchild was born (a boy, maybe name was Neil) who was also born around the same time and in the NICU; but, I don’t ever remember hearing any more about him, can’t remember who posted it or if they are still here. Does anyone one else remember this? If so, do you know what happened to him?

Vicki Grand Island-NE – My Daddy used to say; “nothing brings out the worst in people than a good old family funeral.” I have to agree with that comment. I’ve seen it in progress many a time. But, when it hits close to home, it hurts a lot more. My step-daughter won’t even send us pictures of family members; I have asked for the last time. It’s been a week and I’ve heard nothing. I even put in the letter that ‘if’ she sent them; we’d never ever try to contact her. She’s is spiteful enough to have thrown them away. I do remember on my way to one of the restrooms seeing the picture of Louis that was superimposed on a tile on a shelf. IF I had known she wouldn’t send me any of husband’s childhood pictures I would have stuck it in my pocketbook. She took a ring that my MnL had intended to come to me by scratching through my name on the Addendum we had prepared for her ‘original’ Will and put her name beside it. As well as a painting I had done for MnL for one Christmas that I had failed to sign. She probably signed it as her own and that is probably the reason she won’t send it to me.
    We could have ‘made’ her put everything of value back into the ‘estate’ if we had wanted to ‘push the issue’; but, DH and DBnL said it wasn’t worth the $500 an hour to pay an attorney. In Duval County, FL you can go online and check public records through the Clerk’s Office. Oh, the things I found that she did were ‘criminal’. DH said if we had taken her to court there would have been ‘no chance in Hell that they would ever reconcile; but, we aren’t as it is’. We just did not ‘probate’ the Will, even though he was the Executor.

Joyce in Indiana – You can call DirecTV and tell them the receiver is getting hot and tell them you want it replaced as ‘it is a fire hazard’. We kept watching TV and all of a sudden the picture would go off and the DirecTV logo would float across the screen (only did it on our local channel); but, we’d have to change to another channel and come back to it for watching the rest of the show. I called them and they remotely accessed the receiver and ran tests on it and fixed it (after the 2nd call). The first time the technician (a young-sounding female) could not get the remote to work with the ‘new’ receiver, after spending nearly an hour on the phone with her, and told us we’d just have to change channels and turn volume up and down at the TV. I just hung up. Waited until I was calmer. Then I called back and got an older-sounding female; who fixed it in less than 2 minutes. I do that when I get a foreign technician that I cannot understand. We were supposed to get ‘live streaming’ on the DirecTV and I told them to ‘take if off’ as it was not working, and all the movies we were getting were going to charge us right at $5.00 per day; instead we went with Netflix and we can get one movie at the time for $7.00 plus change and can keep it as long as we want or watch it and get a new one in the ‘turn-around’ time. For about $11 we could get 2 DVDs and I am thinking that might be best; we could watch one and send it back and watch the 2nd one when it came out meaning we’d always have one DVD to watch at any given time. I need to check to see if that is the way it would work. We made the mistake of trying to lower our price; and I told the woman the channels that we wanted to make sure we KEPT; instead those were the ones that got taken off. I called them back and by the time we finished they were going to charge us ‘extra’ for the ‘sports package’ just so we could get one particular show that we watched in the package. I told them ‘screw it’; just put our account back on EXACTLY as it was; and, we’d be checking with DISH to see what they can provide to us that would do the same and cut them off. A few minutes late got called and was told they could give us a ‘discount’ on the package for 3 months. NO, dammit, we are already paying for it; just put the account back to what it was BEFORE I tried to lower the price we paid. They did that and no telling what our bill is going to be. We pay WAY too much for what we watch. They have you over the barrel; but, DISH won’t send us any written packages, they want you to do it over the phone. I’m NOT about to talk to some foreigner, that I cannot understand whose name is “Bob” and ‘expect’ that the price I’m being given will include all of them. Kids have it and they have HOPPER which allows them to watch ‘new’ movies, even before they come out on DVDs – even ‘new’ ones in the theaters. I’d have to see that to believe it. See how it works. Other son, out in Louisiana has something different and he pays ‘extra’ to watch live shows, such as wrestling. I don’t know why they don’t allow you to ‘cherry pick’ the shows that you actually watch than to give you 210 with 3/4th of them that are not of interest and make you buy a full packaged just to get 1 channel in it that you watch for $20 - $35 each.

Kate – What is the significance of the ‘lock’ (which looks ‘new’) on his right wrist?

Renee in Chicagoland – Did you pull off the outside leaves to get past the thick hard leaves?

Even though I was surgically put into menopause; I think that once I hit 64; I had some of the menopausal side effects like ‘hot flashes’ that I don’t remember having when I was younger. They took me off the hormone shots when I was younger because it kept me teetering on the edge of having a ‘bipolar episode’. That ended once we made the decision to stop taking them altogether.

Lanette and Kate – Interesting statures. If the “Chinese Warrior” exhibit ever comes anywhere hear you, you ought to make the trip to see it. Amazing!!!! Sorry behind it is they were digging up the land for some reason and came across one; stopped digging and called in Archeologist to check on it. Found several hundred of them and have even found through sonograms that there is a larger place involved. They have uncovered the first place of these terra cotta soldiers, no two of them are alike. Some are fully painted and other just terra cotta; there is actually a full village of them and they will be working at exposing it over the next years (however long it takes them to do it).

For you in the Seattle, WA area: Coming your way in the spring 2017 –

A group of terra-cotta warriors from China will land in Seattle for a brief stay in the spring of 2017, the Pacific Science Center has announced. The exhibition is a joint project by the center and The Franklin Institute in Philadelphia.

The larger-than-life statues, from the first imperial dynasty of China, were created more than 2,000 years ago for Emperor Qin’s 20-square-mile burial compound. The terra-cotta army of thousands of figures includes not just people but horses and chariots; each figure has unique facial features. The terra-cotta warriors were discovered in 1974 near the city of Xi’an and groups of them occasionally tour the U.S. This group of figures will be shown only in Seattle and Philadelphia.

Michele and others doing stuff cabbage – this might not work on a cabbage because the core is so hard; but, when I buy lettuce; I slam it down on the counter and that makes the core break off and I can pull it out, leaving just the leaves; but, I do know if I do anything with cabbage, I first pull off the 2 outside layers of leaves and chunk them. Too tough. My aunt who was a Japanese war bride cooked some of the best cabbage rolls. She’d make 2 big pans of them and they were covered with some sort of tomato-based sauce.

We are ‘forbidden’ to make ANY remarks to DDnL#1 and the DGDs (at least the daughters of our oldest son). NOTHING, not good, bad, or indifferent. DDnL#1 easilly weighs in at 280lbs (or more) on a 5’9” frame (big boned); DOGD is 5’0” and has gained the “Freshman 15, at least 4x over”. MDGD is about the only one at the moment who I would say is fairly normal sized (but is self-conscious of her boobs and tries to hide them by slouching over. DH tells her all the time to ‘be proud, stand up straight’ and laughingly says that a lot of the other girls would have to have surgery to have what she haves. I just hope they are not even ½ the size of her Mom’s. DYGD is heavy for her height and her other Nana buys all sorts of sweets and “Debbie Cakes” for her and lets her eat as many as she wants. She is also not a picky eater and eats whatever is in front of her. Other DGD out in Louisiana is a little heavier for her age and size; but, this year will probably be one of those years of ‘growth’ and ‘slimming down’. She will do a lot of changing over the next few years. DDnL#2 had planned on ‘going back to the diet doctor’ who puts her on an extremely restrictive diet and uses pills, shots, and vitamins. She was on it before she lost/quit her job; and since has gained back the 40lbs she claims to have lost, then some. But, trying to talk her into going on MFP is futile, she’d rather stay on FB 24/7. YEAH! I finally got the ‘dinging’ on my cellphone to stop, I think. First I thought it was coming from FB; but, I don’t have it on my phone. Then I realized it was from MFP. Went into settings, notifications, and unchecked all things associated with notifications.

Hope all have a ‘good’ day and rest of the week. Welcome to all ‘newbies’.

Lenora
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone! I woke up this morning, weighed and did my weekly Wednesday posting on MFP. An hour later I realized it is only Tuesday. Could it be the weight loss impacting my brain or only age. I hope there are not too many brain cells among the pounds lost! So here a day early is my report - 2.6 pounds down this past week for a total of 53.4 pounds. I am starting to feel a lot lighter in my body.

Janetr: Sending you a big hug. We choose our dearest friends, but are gifted our family members. Sometimes you just have to love them and shake your head! I have two siblings still alive, a brother and a sister. The only communication we have is 99% at my instigation. Once in a while it makes me feel a little sad, but most of the time I just figure that is the way they are and am glad that I somehow ended up being a little different.

Kate: Love the sculpture!

MyDailyPursuit: Congratulations on the weight loss!
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Question peeps:
    How and when do you weigh in?

Dressed, half dressed, no clothing, shoes, no shoes??

I decided to weigh in Wednesday mornings with no clothing. But then I thought it I go to the doctor I'll have to weigh in with clothes but I can kick off my shoes.

Am I going crazy here? I guess it doesn't matter as long as you show a loss. Duh!
    I answered my own question. My DH always tells me that!! LOL!! :smiley:
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Leigh, you are doing so wonderfully with your weight loss no wonder you are excited to get on the scale. Good job. Thank you for in the reminder on family. I do tell myself often that I only have control over my actions, not theirs. I call them and talk fill them in on my family ask about their families tell them I love them and go on with my life. I know I won't hear from them until I call them the next time, but I'm at peace with that. I think mostly yesterday the source of the frustration was that I would like to be there and see them all and won't be able to attend. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Dana, I think you did answer you own question. I try to weigh once a week about the same time of day and dressed approximately the same. I don't leave shoes on, at home or at the doctor's office.

Janetr OKC
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Jenn from Canada, well hello! *stick my hand out*, nice ta meetcha!

Becca
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Becca: Don't apologize for taking good care of your home. I admire your tidy home. Maybe a little of your good influence will rub off on me. I'm not good at cleaning and let things go for too long before doing anything about them. :embarassed: You are golden! :smile: :heart:

Pip: Bark all you want! Is that dog Floyd? NIce outfit. :smiley:

Meg: Happy Birthday!!!!!

Janet: In my opinion, your niece is an angel and can't be over appreciated. You may have difficult sisters, but you have a really awesome niece. :flowerforyou: Love the photo of your mom. She was a pretty girl.

Glitterng: What is Holy Basil? :huh:

Renee: Yoga was wonderful today!!! Thank you for asking. :smiley:

Dana: I use a word document, too. I have it open on my computer screen beside the thread and write my comments as I go along. Then I copy and paste it into the thread and proof read it. I catch most of the boo-boos. :wink:

Barbie: My Medicare supplemental insurance pays for my gym membership. This is insurance we pay for that pays for prescriptions & dental care and does other things like the gym membership. DSIL has different insurance, but hers also pays for a gym membership as long as she goes regularly. We have different providers from one another. Mine is through our public employees retirement system. Hers is through United Heathcare. :flowerforyou:

I made a chocolate cake to give a neighbor who regularly brings us fresh salmon he has caught. The cake is cooling now and I'll frost it in the morning and get it to him tomorrow. He likes chocolate so he's getting chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

Yup, that's Floyd
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Katla, oooooh a salmon connection friend!! I would be spoiling him too! There is a little fish shop, right in the Warrenton marina, and they sell stuff that is caught like that same morning, from the couple of commercial fishing vessels tied up there. They do all their own smoking, and drying. There is a walking path around that area, so husband and I explored it once. They had a honey, teriyaki dried salmon that tasted like candy!!! So good! If I was rich I would be a frequent visitor there for sure!
    Keep enticing your neighbor!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Skipped a day and had to skim.

Happy Birthday, Meg!

DJ - so glad your daughter is home!

Pip - Floyd looks great in his birthday suit!

Dana and Janetr - sorry for your family situations.

I am enjoying the before and after pictures and images of beaches, races, and yogis.

Love to all

Toni in Tennessee