WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2017

Replies

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding

Good Evening My Dear Friends,

Dana, Dolly looks so comfy in that picture. I can’t believe you were so mean to her and had her get in her kennel for the night. Lol

Renee, thanks for the name. It makes it so much easier to respond. Welcome!! When I joined MFP I was type II diabetic and had been on medication for it for about 10 years. I’m happy to say that I have now been off the meds for almost two years, due to losing weight. I’m also off of two other meds that I was taking daily. Good luck to you and come here often.

Paula Y, there are so many dog lovers in this group that I’m sure many of us relate. It is not silly at all to be totally in love with an animal that gives such unconditional love and affection. Good for you.

Kim and Rori, great photo and so wish I could meet up with many of you.

M, glad you are getting at least some relief from the eye problem.

Lanette, I just want to know how you know that Saturday is “World Naked Gardening Day” ? And who is that a picture of?? LOL Nice flowers.

Ann, you are so right about friendship being complicated. I guess some of the complications are just easier to take than others. Lol

Katla, I haven’t had to get new glasses in the past two years, since I no longer have insurance. I’m not looking forward to forking out that kind of money when I do need glasses. Yikes!

Gloria, I hope the flooding isn’t bad. Please take care.

Heather, so glad you two had a good anniversary dinner. Kudos on the restaurant giving you a glass of wine.

Kelly, I can’t even imagine caring for all those kids so I really hand it to you. Also glad you sound “human” in that they get to you sometimes. Lol Hope you have a restful night.

Janet2, so glad you got to the doc and are on meds. Please feel better fast and next time don’t wait so long. ((((Hugs))))

Jane, I was interested in the description of your DD’s hair. Please take a before and after picture to share with us.

Lanette, I used a Tens Unit when my back was at its worst. The nice thing is that the prices have gone down so much. I think mine was $300 back then but luckily my insurance paid for it.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

My DD made it to north central Illinois today. She didn’t have rain to drive in but said there was construction everywhere. Tomorrow we hope she gets to middle Tennessee and should be home by Monday. It sure would have been a great Mother’s Day if she had made it by Sunday but she needed the day off yesterday with no traveling.

Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    Rori- let us know what you find out. It would be fun getting together with you, Margaret , and Gayle here in Minnesota.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janeholland2008
    janeholland2008 Posts: 22 Member
    It's 2 am and I can't sleep :'( The pain in my knee is off the charts tonight. Although I was grateful to the doctor for prescribing me tramadol, I am wary about taking it as it is morphine based, but tonight I really have no choice. I think a latte is in order, and a good book, Amazon Prime here I come !!! This is when I fail, as a comfort eater the minute I am in any sort of physical or emotional pain I turn to food. :s I really really don't want to fail tonight.

Jane
    Kent Uk
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,903 Member
    It's 2 am and I can't sleep :'( The pain in my knee is off the charts tonight. Although I was grateful to the doctor for prescribing me tramadol, I am wary about taking it as it is morphine based, but tonight I really have no choice. I think a latte is in order, and a good book, Amazon Prime here I come !!! This is when I fail, as a comfort eater the minute I am in any sort of physical or emotional pain I turn to food. :s I really really don't want to fail tonight.

Jane
    Kent Uk

:)Jane, I took Tramadol after my spine surgery and it allowed me to sleep and had no effects that suggested that I might become dependent on it. I supplemented it with acetaminophen and that helped too. I did a lot of reading when the pain interrupted my sleep.

<3 Barbie
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Gloria, hope you continue to be safe with very little damage to your property. Hope the kids are OK.

HM, naked gardening. I don't even do any gardening so you won't see me out there Saturday. My oldest is getting me to think about my landscaping. The landscaping company was a no show today. She thinks we should do something like what we have had before, just not have a bush that grows as tall. With my windows in the lower level, I don't want something to hide those. I guess I need to find my pinterest username and password and do some research there. I do know that I want to put my annuals in the mulch that is around the bushes or ground cover. Now the back yard where the huge area of mostly mulch from the old maple tree will require some one to do it as we need a lot of it removed and good soil/fertilizer put in and then seeded.

When you all talk about some one who loves to dominate the conversation about their subject, that is my husband to a tee. His subject is his political feelings or how the world governments and any other kind of management in incompetent. Given the opportunity he will get the subject changed. Yesterday I was talking about something that one of the grand kids had done and he gave some kind of a wild answer that could easily then be used to change the subject. When we have family gatherings, all the family is very quick to keep their subject going. It can be maddening.

I love rescue animals. Leftovers, animals left on the side of the road, abused animals just looking for some one to love them and give them a chance. Some of them take a lot of love and training but can be very rewarding when they see what is under that rough surface. One of the women who volunteers with Another Chance for Animals, where I got Melody, is a full time beautician for dogs. Some of these dogs who come in from animal control don't even look like animals yet. She can lovingly bath them then start trimming and find the wonderful dog underneath all the filthy mat of fur. Then Another Chance gets one of their wonderful fosters who love them for the first time in their life. It may take weeks to even get the dog to let a human get close to them due to their abuse. This is what my youngest does. Her fosters are her children. I absolutely love it when I see the dogs and cats pictured here that are well manicured, bathed and groomed. You can tell the love you ladies give them. You give them love because they love you back.

Joyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    I'm still here, would love to meet ! Let me know what works. Been busy with mom she has had congested heart failure at the age of 94. Since October in and out of hospitals 7 times, still keeps going. Had to leave her home, adjusting to new living with medical assistance, she had live in help but needs more. One day at a time, today she's worried about getting Eastenders at 11 PM, loves that and her Masterpiece. Her mind is perfect, just the body is shot!
    Let me know about meeting!!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Katla – The first step to be able to “Kick @$$” is to learn how to say, “NO!” Then reframed from justifying it. “No, means NO; not ‘yes’, not ‘maybe’; but “NO!” If you are asked ‘why not’? Then say, “I said ‘no’ and it does not matter why …” Or “Sorry, can’t do it.” You might be meeting your boyfriend, girlfriend, playing poker, going to the ‘nude beach’. You do not owe anyone an explanation. Once you get this down pat, you will find it a lot easier to be ‘honest’ about other things. Turn it around on the person. “Why do you ask?” If a ‘line’ is drawn in the sand, respect it – not only yours; but, others’ as well. That is my ‘tip’ for the day.

Sharon – I had the same ‘shield’ that Katla was talking about; actually used it over my nipple with I first started nursing. I was so engorged it hurt and I could put cream on my nipple and keep if off my baby’s mouth and face. Once I ‘let down’ the first time, felt so much better. The shield was like putting a bottle nipple over my own nipple so it would not be pulling on my nipple until it got used to nursing. I had done what others had told me, ‘wear a rough shirt’ without a bra for several weeks, before I had my babies. Being rough with them (or having husband do so). I got men’s handkerchiefs and folded them up to put in my bra because I leaked so much.
    I still had a discharge from my breast for years after I stopped nursing. My sister, whose oldest child is a year younger than my youngest, had come to spend a few days with me. She got upset and could not nurse. I picked the baby up and had only a thin T-shirt on, and she turned her head and latched on as if it did not matter who was doing the nursing. My sister just sat there and was amazed. At least she quietened down, so she could relax.

Heather – I was the subject of a ‘bet’ between the men and women in Louis’ office when he asked me out. The men did not ‘think’ I would accept; the women did. Then he turned and walked out of the place without asking my name or for my number. Then I did not see him for about 3 weeks. I figured, $#*T – he’s married with 3 kids at home; I had been played for a fool. One day I asked one of the women why he had not come in. He worked ‘out-of-town’ and only came in to get work and to drop work off. He came in a few days later and asked for my phone number. He had already learned my name from the women in his office. He asked me out; and, called me … I broke the date; but, he did not stop. We talked for about 12+ hours over the next 3 days. When he asked me why I had broken the date; I told him that I really did not want our ‘first’ date to be something that would be stressful to do. Going out to eat would have been stressful (at that time). So he invited me to a company ballgame and go as a group to get pizza. He and a blond in his office talked to one another the entire time. He called and asked if I wanted to go to the Playgirl Club and ended up having to wait until he got to my apartment to finish dressing. I wore a white long sundress and I needed help tying it up. WHOOPS! Just before he got there the news came on and George Wallace had been shot. We listened to the news for a while, then we went to the PGC and had a great time; within 6 months we were engaged. That’s been 45 years ago!

Louis is a ‘great’ Papa to 4 girls from 10 – 21 years old. We have a 5th granddaughter; but, have not been allowed to see her in 10 years; so, we just don’t talk about them or claim them. They all just ‘died’ when his Mother died. That was the last time we saw them. I did write my step-daughter earlier this week and asked if she would send some pictures of Louis when he was younger. Haven’t heard from her; doubt I will. But, that is ‘ok’; just makes him writing her ‘out of his Will’ that much more justified. I probably won’t even notify her (unless the Probate Court requires it to be done). I don’t see why they would.

Lanette – I would NOT be gardening in 57 degree weather, even ‘if’ the sun was out. If it is that cold outside (like it has been down here) … I am bundled up inside.

Renee – My insurance company pays and I have to go 5 years between unless I am referred to have it done, sooner. When I get my physical, I get one of the stool tests that I get a sample and put it in a tube and return it. So far, just a few polyps or a rough spot or two that got checked closer.

Dana – I guess my kids in Louisiana will be watching the flood levels of the MS River in the next few weeks and months. At some point, it will probably affect them; just hope the 2 levees hold. Tami has been flooded before; but, had gotten most of her stuff out of the house ahead of time, or up on blocks. I pray they don’t have any problems.

DJ – My DBnL used to brag a lot; their children had ‘married well’ and their house was paid for, they never had any problems, live on the golf course, play tennis, walk, la-de-dah. The in October, while on a trip with another couple he had a stroke. He has made a miraculous recovery – was in Mt. Sinai in Miami for a good 6 or more weeks. He doesn’t brag nearly as much or look down on his 2 sisters-in-law. A friendship doesn’t last if both parties don’t try ‘hard’ at making it work. I would have to say that my very BF is Louis. My female BF has been my BF for over 20 years. We can be ourselves with one another. But, there have been times when she has turned to her 2 sisters who live in town and ‘they’ have been ‘very secretive’ about a few matters. Sort of upset me a bit.

Ann – Where in Alabama do you live?

Jane, Kent UK – My middle sister’s children have extremely curly hair. When her daughter was little she had ringlets. She and her friend were visiting with one another and she got up to check on them; the friend’s daughter had taken a pair of child’s scissors and cut her curls off. She cried; but, too late. In school, she had wavy hair (thick); some has curly hair. Her ‘ex’ husband’s hair was like a Brillo pad it was so thick and kinky! I don’t see how she deals with her hair. Cork-screws, too. I think she washes it and just lets it dry. Like our DOGD. If she tries to comb her hair it just fluffs out, like ‘big hair’.

Becca – Some years I have a ‘green thumb’ and some years … seems like everything I have or get just goes ‘belly up’. So far, this year – looking pretty green. Thankfully. I’m trying out a few ‘orchids’. I don’t touch anybody’s orchids to see if they are real or not; because I would not want them touching mine.

Michele – What do you take for your seizures? I take Dilantin; I would like to come off it; but, every time they have gotten my dosage down to 135mg – I have a seizure; so they won’t take me off it. But, I have to go to the Periodontist 3 or 4 times a year because it affects my gums. I also take Lamictal; then one of the medications that I take for my Bipolar Disorder is actually a seizure medication; but, looks as something else in conjuncture with my Seroquel. My Neurologist did an MRI the last time I went (right before Christmas). He is in town on a couple of days or so a week; so it isn’t like I can call his office and get ‘seen’ after having a seizure; but, the partner of my old one would not take on her patients when she relocated. I think he is a little on the weird side; but, I can deal with that – it is the rudeness of his ‘nurse’ that makes me want to ‘tell him what I think about her’.

Joyce – Cracker is a rescue dog (puppy); but, I think she actually ‘rescued’ me. And my husband. She just loves us to no end; and, we love her to no end. Louis thought it would be ‘fun’ to throw one of her toys to her; he started a habit and can’t stop it. She is sooooooooo bad; if she could ‘talk’ English to us, we’d never be able to shut her up. LOL!

I made ‘bread pudding’ for my dear husband tonight. Was going to ‘surprise’ him; but, needed something for it and had to tell him WHY he had to go to the store – TODAY! It is very good; but, I think I can probably cut the sugar back (a lot). Louis loved it; but, he also agreed that the sugar content would be screaming “SUGAR OVERLOAD – DIABETICS BEWARD!!!!!”

Lenora
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    Gayle- Great! As soon as Rori decides if she's coming or not we will pick a time and place!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Gayle- Great! As soon as Rori decides if she's coming or not we will pick a time and place!

<3

Mary from Minnesota

Would be good to see you and Margaret!!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    OK that's obviously not the wedding shot but it is my 1964 senior picture. How do you like that hair? Seems to be making a comeback!

Gloria in Lacey WA where we look like a warzone after that storm. 25 lightening strikes!

Wow, Gloria, was a beautiful young woman. No surprise as we see that beauty yet today. Thanks for sharing.

Janetr okc
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    DJ Janet#1 - thanks for the gentle boot. I do tend to hold out a bit too long. Hoping the meds do the trick and the sinus infection goes on it's way. I was down two pounds since last visit six weeks ago. Pretty disappointing, but better than up two I suppose.

When is Mother's Day? I thought it was the 14th???? At any rate, it will be so great to see your daughter after her being away for several years. Enjoy!!

Janetr okc
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Kate UK <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    DH has gone off to sign for the new car. He put a deposit on yesterday evening. Both on yesterday's news and again this morning there was more bad publicity about diesel cars. :o We've definitely done the right thing, even though it's costly for him. It would only get more expensive in the long run to change over. He beat the price down a lot.

As well as our anniversary, it is also my DGS's 6th birthday. :D Can't believe he's so OLD! <3 I've texted him , but I know they have friends staying over this weekend. We are giving a little family party for him next weekend, so I've just sent a card. I sent the text message in Spanish as he goes to a bi-lingual school.

Tonight we're going to open a special bottle of wine my son bought me for Christmas. (I asked for it :D )It's a variety of wine from the Jura district in France, Leigh will know it. Called "vin jaune". It comes in a slightly smaller, chunky bottle and is oxidised, so it tastes slightly "off". Not unlike a fine sherry. It's quite an acquired taste, but I adore it. Don't have it often as it is very expensive, so as a present is perfect.
    Going to have some snails (tinned, with the shells separate in the packet, so you have to put the garlic and parsley butter in yourself) and then my favourite blinis with sour cream and imitation caviar (lump fish roe) . I'm always hinting about people buying me caviar for a present, but it hasn't happened yet. :laugh: My perfect anniversary meal as there is not much to prepare. I have snail plates and tongs etc. :DB)<3
    Lunch is broccoli with poached eggs and parmesan. Yum!

Still getting my exercise calories in, but it's a struggle without the rower. I have 150 calories left to do, so I might walk round the lanes with DH this afternoon. If it's horrible out I will bike a bit more.

Lots of love, Heather xxxxxxxxxx

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,041 Member
    Gayle (((Hugs))) I know we had tried to get together but I understand how hard it is for you with your mom.

:heart: Margaret