WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2017

Options

Replies

• DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Good evening!
    I hope everyone is have a wonderful evening.
    My DH and I had a nice time walking around a flea market this afternoon for an hour. Interesting stuff to look at. I saw a beautiful lead crystal vase that I would love to have for fresh flowers. It was 20" high and flared out. It must of weighed 20 lbs. but it was $49. A bargain for sure but since I'm flying to Cheyenne in 3 weeks, I better not buy anything.

Becca you sure did clean up your son's room! I have a big box in the garage of stuff from my kids' rooms that I have been packing around from state to state for 25 years!! I don't want to throw it away either! Maybe I'll sort it out and mail it to each of them.
    Glad your DH is doing ok. I've had so many spots removed it's not funny. Hand, foot, face, back, shoulder, numerous spots frozen off and now I'm using Carac cream on my chest and arms. I get checked by my dermatologist every 6 months. Too much sun over the years.
    I like that cat! Poor baby, RIP kitty.

Barbie I hope you don't get too much rain. It seems like it's been feast or famine.

HealthyLifeStyles & Elisha Welcome! I've only been in this group for a month. It's the best!!

Heather How awesome your DH is going to buy you something nice to wear!
    You met him 14 years ago? Congrats!
    I met my DH 14 yo this December. I met him on the internet. I know that sounds crazy and 14 years ago it was really risky probably. But we talked on the website for a month before we met at a very public place. We had fun together and made plans for another date. The first question I asked him was, "Do you drink?" Luckily he said No! I didn't want to be involved with another alcoholic!!! Our 13th anniversary is coming up.

Jane Auditors! They are like the FBI coming! LOL! I worked for a state agency auditors office. I was secretary to the director and we had 73 auditors statewide. Mostly fraud, theft, etc. very interesting but also very stressful and highly confidential.
    You do need to get up move around the office. If you have stairs take them and park further away from your office.
    You made me laugh about the young women at the pool!! Have you tried the "Y"?

Vicki Dolly is a very happy pup!! And very spoiled!

Well, it's time to get ready for bed and politely ask Dolly to go to her kennel! It usually takes a treat!

Dana in Arkansas
    petmskejdxco.jpg
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: Thanks for the offer to kick @ss for me. :bigsmile: You are a good friend. I'd probably do better in the long run if you could teach me how to kick @ss. Lessons or tips would be greatly appreciated. :drinker:

Heather: Thanks for your sympathy in regards to the difficult new neighbor. Good luck with your real estate agent. Have they advertised beyond the village? Posted photos of your lovely home? Held open houses? If not what have they done to earn your business? Regarding your difficult friend, I'm afraid there is no good answer for you because you can't make her woman up. She has to want to do that for herself. I hope your friendships with the others don't suffer. :heart:

Yvonne: Talk to your doctor. Perhaps there is a less expensive replacement for the colonoscopy. DH and I have switched to a system that is gross but private, inexpensive, and effective. We are given cards by our doctor and are told to smear a poop sample on the card on the card for three consecutive days. It then goes into a double envelope and we take it back to the lab. They send it off for analysis. If anything is worrisome we will be referred for a colonoscopy. It is gross & sort of disgusting, but inexpensive, risk free and effective. :ohwell: It doesn't have the risks that a general anesthetic does.

Sharon: Regarding breast shields--I was a major leaker when I had nursing babies. DH went out to a pharmacy and bought a solution that worked for me. They were plastic cups with a hole for my nipples. I wore one cup inside each bra cup and they would collect the drips all day and keep my nipples dry. I could drip all day into them and my clothes would stay dry and my nipples didn't get chapped, cracked and sore. The milk could be saved into a baby bottle or frozen to use in emergencies. I think these are still available. I found Chicco Chonchas collector milk on line and it looks very much like what I had all those years ago. They're worth considering. :flowerforyou:

Becca: "And May the fourth be with you, also." I'm glad your DH is doing well. We've heard a couple of thunder claps, too. It must be occurring over a fairly large area. :smiley: You are a very good neighbor. :heart:

Sarah: Good luck with the flooding and evacuations in your area. I hope you are dry and safe. (((hugs)))

Claudia: I attend yoga at a local fitness place three times a week--except this week. We have medical conflicts all three days. :grumble:

Elisha: This system saved me. I let the MFP program set my initial goals and calorie allowances and logged every bite and swallow. It took a long time, but has been very successful. This group of women has been a deep well of support, encouragement, wisdom, and humor. Welcome. :flowerforyou:

Dr. Katie: Congratulations on your pull-ups!!!!! :flowerforyou:

Pip: You are awesome! :star:

Gloria: I hope you're able to have a safe and warm enough night. It sounds like quite a horrible storm up there. :flowerforyou:

We had a little bit of thunder here earlier, but it wasn't close to us and there were no power outages. I hope those of you who had a worse situation have power and are safe now.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James
  • itmeansflower
    itmeansflower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    (quote) I am going to Italy for 10 days in October, so it is going to be very challenging to maintain a healthy diet and weight during that time!!! Oh, delicious Italian food! I hope that my new, better habits will be solidly formed before the trip. I also have to plan how I can eat 5 mini meals instead of 3 large ones since I know that works well for weight loss and hunger management. I think upon arrival we are going to have to hit an Italian grocery store to stock up on a few snack staples.

Now I need to spend some time getting up to speed on everyone else in the thread. Have a great night!

To HealthyLifestyleG525: Sounds like you're off to a great start! Keep on keepin' on, as they say!
    A couple thoughts on your Italy trip... I've been several times, so I can tell you that it will be very challenging to do the "mini meals". That's just not how they operate, and unless you're staying in a 5 star hotel, there won't be any mini-fridges, either. (Actually they might not even have them in the 5* ones, but I wouldn't know.)
    Anyway, so if you're planning on doing lots of sightseeing, you'll be doing a LOT of walking. When I was there, I ate good and plenty, and LOST weight due to the walking! Hopefully that'll be your reality too. Oh, and be sure to wear comfortable, already broken-in shoes! Those cobblestone streets are everywhere! So take your comfy shoes, drink lots of mineral water (that's what they drink, I've never had any other kind there), and eat the food!
    That's part of the whole experience, you can't hold back there! Just pay attention to when you're full, and stop eating. Ciao! :)
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Still no power and no estimate of time yet. Forgot to mention that the rain came so fast and furious that it flooded the back patio and breezeway flooding into the apt. Too dark to see how far in the carpet is wet. 2 times in past few months is 2 times too many. Could be a move in my future☹️
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Rori/Kim gorgeous ladies, thanks for sharing Rori. Glad you had such a nice visit.

Janetr OKC
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Yvonne: I second what Katia said, about alternatives to colonoscopy. I don't want to be anesthetized, nor do the pre-colonoscopy bowel regime, so I do the stool labs instead. We all have different risk factors, so your provider can best advise, but you might want to ask whether the FIT or FOBT would be alternatives for you: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/870975
    anya
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Paula - Yes, they are great company for him and a great help. Sometimes I worry they are too much help. :*

Going to Italy! Oh my goodness! Italian seems to be the one restaurant cuisine I can't get on with. I went to Rome for a week for one of my birthdays and found almost nothing I could eat out. Luckily we had rented a tiny apartment, so I mainly cooked for us. I did the same thing in Venice and we ate deliciously, because I cooked it! The markets are full of delicious food, but you hardly see a vegetable in the restaurants. I actually walked out of my birthday meal! We stayed in villas in Umbria for two weeks and the same thing - wonderful fresh food in the shops, but terrible restaurant food. Tuscany ditto. They say Liguria is better with lots of seafood. :o However, I did do masses of walking, so all was well.

Lanette - and Dana - I met DH on line 14 years ago. Tomorrow was our first meeting, in a pub in Covent Garden in London. Around 6.20. :D I was "speed dating" loads of potential mates by just meeting up with several a week for a quick drink or coffee, just so that I could rule them out straight away, or give them a second chance at a proper date. DH turned into a proper date that very evening and I caught the last tube train home. In less than a week we were "an item". Married 18 months later. We have our 'moments' as any couple do, but it was definitely the best thing ever for both of us. He is 71 now and I am 67, so we try to make the most of every moment. I have been lucky enough to give him grandchildren as his two daughters don't have any children and are not married. He is the bestest grandad EVER. :D

Must take him up a cup of tea. Off to Winchester today. My alcohol chart is working well. Yesterday I just had the planned one small glass of wine for lunch and did not have another in the evening. I awarded myself a big smiley face sticker. I hope to do the same today. Hope my gold star stickers arrive today. They are for AF days. o:)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

PS - Welcome new people!!!!

PPS - Great photo Kim and Rori! <3 I am hoping to meet Rori in London in October. :D
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    barbiecat wrote: »
    If you made goals or resolutions for April, how did you do?
    Tell us about any goals or resolutions you've made for May.

April went very well. :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10549261/april-highlights#latest

In May, my plan is to focus on strength and speed.

To that end, I went to my first spinning class in ages tonight, and it went well. Then I got on the rowing machine for a while. I could be a little bit sore tomorrow, but that's OK.

Oh yes, I also worked in the morning, then walked to the university at lunch and attended classes all afternoon.
    Machka9 wrote: »
    All of a sudden ... so busy with work, and university, and the club where I'm a volunteer, and another couple personal projects.

M in Oz

Still very busy ... mainly with university as the end of the course is a month away, so all the stuff is due.

The extra stress seemed to set off a twitching around my left eye. The eyelids and sometimes just about the whole left side of my face. But I figured there was more to it than just stress because I've been more stressed by courses. The stress in this one is relatively mild compared to some I've taken recently.

Lack of calcium and magnesium, and the electrolytes in general, seemed like a possibility. Cycling ultra distances does tend to sap me of those things, so I've been taking what is, for me, massive quantities of them and it seems to be helping a little.

And then today, I went to see my eye doctor. Turns out my eyes have changed fairly significantly. Ah the joys of getting older. She figures the eye strain is the biggest cause of the twitching problem.

Anyway, regarding fitness ... because being outside is so much easier on my eyes, I've been walking and cycling to get some relief from all the twitching! :)
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind comments about my health care challenges. I now know that there are a few of us battling for our health. Time for bed. I will catch up with you all very soon.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Rori & Kim great picture of you two! I am looking forward to June when you are in Mn. We could have a party with all the ladies from Minnesota.