Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,889 Member
    Options
    sand86802 wrote: »
    I need to keep myself busy. When I am bored, I eat. How dumb is that!?! In my defense, my pets do the same thing so I must have learned it from them. :lol: j/k

I know it sounds stupid but a lot of time if I want to stop myself from grabbing snacks I will grab my old gameboy. Keeps both hands busy. I like colouring and cross stitching. Occupies hands and mind so it is very relaxing!

Good ideas! I play games on my smartphone. I like coloring too. Just got a few new books from amazon yesterday but my coloring space is a bit messy and no place to put the book. I havnt cross stitched in years. Maybe its time to try it again. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,889 Member
    Options
    Tuesday - Goals (do you have any Goals you want to update us?)

I would like to get out of the rut I find myself in these days where exercise is concerned (or should I say the lack of it)....

I want to exercise outdoors...love walking, but unfortunately a few of our neighbors do not adhere to the leash law and I'm afraid of their dogs they allow to roam. I was chased as a young girl a few times and it has impacted me to this day. So, instead of getting trapped into the mind set of "well since I can't exercise outside, guess I just won't do it" mentality...my goal is to break out of this stinking thinking and find a way to make it happen. So, there you go.

Is there a park or trail where you could walk instead? I know what you mean about the unleased dogs. I wasnt chased as a girl but everytime I house sit for my sister, her neighbors' chiuaua (sp?) tries to bite my ankles! And thats just a small annoyance. I can only imagine if it where a big scary dog! But I'm sure you can find a way to go for a walk!
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I need to keep myself busy. When I am bored, I eat. How dumb is that!?! In my defense, my pets do the same thing so I must have learned it from them. :lol: j/k

My #1 defense against boredom eating is video game addiction. :D Sounds silly, but I'll get so engrossed in my games that I even forget to eat a regular meal. Would be nice if my counter to boredom eating wasn't so sedentary, but... sitting on my butt not-eating is better than sitting on my butt and eating.
  • cedar2526
    cedar2526 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have found a road with only a couple dogs and have learned when the owners are at work. What a pain. It means weekends are out and I work a crazy schedule during the week.
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Fortunately I live in a neighborhood where people, for the most part, keep their animals in fenced yards and leashed when out, but I always carry a walking stick, just in case because in our world you just never know what or who you will encounter, its good for people as well as animals. Thankfully I've only had one occasion to be glad I had it and it was a dog that a neighbor had allowed out without being leashed. I'm actually thinking of purchasing some walking/hiking poles. I've owned some in the past and wasn't happy with the ones I bought at that time. They were telescoping, which made them perfect for traveling because you could make them pretty small but alas their telescoping didn't hold up with much use. So if anyone uses these and has some suggestions I would appreciate it.
  • cellosmiles
    cellosmiles Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    For the people who aren't so good with dogs I have a couple suggestions :)

- Swim laps ;)
    - Use a gym or fitness club. :D
    - Walk around a stadium track B)
    - Walk in your local mall - some even have walking clubs :p
    - Walk your grocery store. :#
    (I can take over an hour just to buy 2 or 3 items cause I simply walk from 1 end to the other a few times when it's raining hard out)

First 2 cost money generally. Last ones don't.

And I am sorry for your dog fears. I walk mine on leash because my 1 dog isn't much of a people person and I panic if he gets free. He doesn't bite....but he sure rushes at you like he seems he would. It makes me nervous for those who don't know him :( I hope in time you may enjoy some dogs without those fears :)
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    It simply breaks my heart that some of you are so afraid of loose dogs in your neighborhood that you feel you can't walk greely outdoors! How sad for you, and how irresponsible of those dogs' owners. My dog, a somewhat intimidating looking 60lb shepherd mix, is 100pct under my control at all times. She is well trained, listens to me, does not roam the neighborhood, and when we're out and about she's on a short leash. She also happens to be blessed with a sweet, gentle nature. Sadly, I know that not all dogs are as well behaved as my Sadie.

I wonder, though, for those of you who are afraid: might a class in self-defense, or even martial arts, help? Local YMCAs and community centers often offer them, and usually at relatively low cost. It's good exercise! But also might increase a sense of self-confidence and personal power, which dogs will tend to respond to in a respectful manner. May be worth considering.
  • teresaglz21
    teresaglz21 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Tuesday - Goals (do you have any Goals you want to update us?)

My goal for this week is survive going to Vegas without going crazy in calorie intake. (when the family gets together there never seems to be any control)
  • bapcarrier
    bapcarrier Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    @FourLynne62 would you consider carrying a small container of pepper spray? Though they say be careful if you have to spray it that you don't have wind blowing it back into your face. :( Good luck, I hate that you have that, I love dogs but am still scared when one comes rushing toward me.

@campfirequeen1 I am so glad you mentioned the walking poles. I have had them for years but haven't even thought about hauling them out and using them. Kind of like, out of sight, out of mind. Mine are Exerstrider Special Edition one piece poles, (non-telescoping) and I used to really enjoy walking with them. They come with the DVD, Instruction manual and grip socks. I had to get new feet for mine because I walked a hole in the bottom of one but it wasn't any problem at the time. I do see that they say these are now in closeout, apparently they are only going with the telescoping models after this. It says to call for information so if you're interested I would check it out quickly. I'm getting mine out again and adding more walking to my exercise program, along with my bike riding!

I was one of the 4 with a small (.2) weight gain last week. I weigh in tomorrow AM and so far this week things are looking great! I just hope the scales say the same thing (or lower) in the morning as they have for the last couple of mornings! :)

My goal this week is to stay on track as I have a guest for the week and we have a lot of outings, dinners, lunches,
    etc. planned!
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    I've had a really great four gold star day. My sodium level was double what I like it to be due to a serving of canned collard greens. I just wasn't thinking when I got them, but I know better than to eat canned foods. I'm not starring myself for the sodium now because most days I do pretty good with it.
    I did a really fun weight loss program on the thread mill tonight at the gym. It was 30 minutes long and ran me up and down some pretty steep hills, and at one point, I thought I'll never finish this but I did and I'm proud of myself. Normally I would have considered the program my something extra exercise but not tonight! After I finished it I did all but two machines on the 30 min circuit and that's because someone was on them and I didn't want to wait. It was a good day!

@bapcarrier - thanks girl, I'm going to check those out! I really enjoyed my last ones until they wouldn't stay extended!
    @cellosmiles - those were some good suggestions. I use some of them myself. I like to walk in the big mall near my house when it's raining or I just want different scenery and you are right, they have a walking club. And I walk the grocery first when I go shopping. I do a trip up and down every aisle at least once before shopping, and I like to walk in big stores like Home Depot or a Super Walmart for a change sometimes too. I don't get to walk outside much due to severe allergies. My gym has an indoor track but it's banked on all four corners so I don't like using it, it's hard on my old arthritic knees and hips.
    @birgitkwood = A self defense course is a really good idea too.
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    @teresaglz21 I read your profile. It was a really good one! I'm happy that you are taking care of business now and hoping to be an inspiration to some of your family members! And I wish you luck on the Vegas trip. Lordy, that place is a haven of fabulous restaurants! Two of my favs are the Border Grill at Mandalay Bay for brunch with unlimited small plates and mimosas. You could really get crazy on those but the small plates allow you to taste a lot of things without really overdoing it, the mimosas, not so much LOL, so drink water! The other is Hash House A go go. Everything on the menu is huge, way over the top so plan to share with two or three people but everything is so tasty! Walk, walk, walk, that always helps me out there and then go to the pool and swim, swim, swim. Have fun and let us know how it goes!
  • cellosmiles
    cellosmiles Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I took the dogs on 2 long walks tonight. The air was just perfect outside. Not too hot or cold. 1 1/2 hours we walked in total.

Over 13000 steps logged so far today :p

But I'm getting hungry now and i think I want some dinner before bed. I'm looking forward to reporting my weigh in tomorrow morning. B)
  • cedar2526
    cedar2526 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Name:June
    Height: 5'6"

Start Weight (week of April 19): 258
    Goal Weight (week of June 28): 235

Weigh in week of:
    (Weeks are listed by Wednesdays)
    1. April 26 -256.1
    2. May 3 - 255.5
    3. May 10 -255
    4. May 17 -
    5. May 24 -
    6. May 31 -
    7. June 7 -
    8. June 14 -
    9. June 21 -
    10. June 28 -
    Final weight: Saturday, July 1 (56th birthday)

Weight -/+ this week:-.5
    Weight -/+ total: 3

Dreadful weekend. Ate everything in sight, then searched for more. Hopefully this week will be better.
  • jam5660
    jam5660 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Ready for Summer 10 week challenge

Name: Jennie
    Height: 5' 3

Start Weight (week of April 19): 224
    Goal Weight (week of June 28): 214

Weigh in week of:
    (Weeks are listed by Wednesdays)
    1. April 26 - 223.2
    2. May 3 - 219.2
    3. May 10 - 219.2
    4. May 17 -
    5. May 24 -
    6. May 31 -
    7. June 7 -
    8. June 14 -
    9. June 21 -
    10. June 28 -
    Final weight: Saturday, July 1 -

Weight -/+ this week: 0
    Weight -/+ total: -4.8

Stupid TOM, hopefully this isnt the beginning of another 21 day stall!!! But thankful that there isn't a gain - despite my low exercise and bad food choices from the last week. I will take it! Now, where is my water bottle....