c25k - newbie runners

Options

Replies

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Any advice please. I can walk at 4.6 mph for two hours, no issue and could carry on yet when I go upto 5-5.5 mph for jogging it is exponentially more tiring. Such as small difference has such a large affect.
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    dawson002 wrote: »
    so about 4 months ago I struggled to even run for 5 minutes. fast-forward and everyday last week I ran a solid 30 - 40 mins.

for those starting out, don't concern yourself with distance as it really doesn't matter and don't be afraid to repeat days. Go slowly ( I started at around 4.6 mph) and even now run at around 5 mph....even that may be to fast for some.

for those running on a treadmill, make sure you set the incline to 2% to mimic a flat surface (your knees will thank you for it). also, don't forget long deeps breaths; in through nose hold and then out through mouth (don't pant).

stick with it and have fun

I'm curious about this as I'm doing the program on a treadmill. I start week 4 today and have been doing it with no incline as I assumed that was flat. Is the 2% really more equivalent to a flat surface? Would that make it harder for me to do now that I'm already 4 weeks in, and used to my current setting?

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Any advice please. I can walk at 4.6 mph for two hours, no issue and could carry on yet when I go upto 5-5.5 mph for jogging it is exponentially more tiring. Such as small difference has such a large affect.

So run at 4.8, then speed up as it gets easier...
  • ErynVee
    ErynVee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 6 now and did my first full 20 minute run the other day. I do two 10 minute intervals today. Breathing is getting easier, but my legs are still catching up. I can tell my muscles are weak and my form is off - on my right leg, towards the bottom on the right side right above my ankle, that muscle will get tight and almost spasm until I stop and walk it off for a few minutes. After a few minutes of walking, it's gone... Needless to say, I look forward to getting stronger lol
  • alc649
    alc649 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Heyy I just started the c25k program yesterday. I had tried it before and quit a couple weeks into it. I think it's because I went too fast the first time. Yesterday went pretty well. Didn't focus too much on speed, just making sure I run for the whole minute and challenge myself, but not feel like i'm dying either! Kind of want to do day 2 tonight, but might wait till tomorrow. Don't wanna get burnt out.
  • zutshihora
    zutshihora Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Sonia. I am 53 and fairly iverweight. Just started with C25K today ( ask my muscles !) Am keen on finding support,motivations and helpful tips since am a complete newbie at running.
    Am part of a 50+ group here.
    Hoping for the best and finding new friends.
    Thanks.
  • carrieoffen
    carrieoffen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i was actually debating about starting the zombies run version tomorrow.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    alc649 wrote: »
    Heyy I just started the c25k program yesterday. I had tried it before and quit a couple weeks into it. I think it's because I went too fast the first time. Yesterday went pretty well. Didn't focus too much on speed, just making sure I run for the whole minute and challenge myself, but not feel like i'm dying either! Kind of want to do day 2 tonight, but might wait till tomorrow. Don't wanna get burnt out.

Leave at least a day between runs.

• dawson002
    dawson002 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this as I'm doing the program on a treadmill. I start week 4 today and have been doing it with no incline as I assumed that was flat. Is the 2% really more equivalent to a flat surface? Would that make it harder for me to do now that I'm already 4 weeks in, and used to my current setting?

[/quote]

Yes its definitely worth having a small incline....maybe even 1%. I always thought it would be flat but after a good Google search, a lot of pages recommend a slight incline.

Having no incline gave me really bad runners knee....to the point I had to walk down hills sideways like a crab! Since raising the incline slightly, the pain has vanished.

I suppose if your comfortable with what your doing and you don't experience pain then carry on.
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    Another yes to a slight incline, my PT has said the same. You have to remember as well that indoors you don't have the effect of wind and weather so a slight incline, even if your outdoor route would be flat, is needed to more accurately mimic the outdoors.
  • whiskeyyfitness
    whiskeyyfitness Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Steve25k wrote: »
    I've just started the Couch 2 5 K programme and wondered if there were others who had recently started / thinking of starting who wanted to be friends and help motivate each other.

(I can't think of a way of making this sound less needy)

I just started C25K and on my second week. Day 1 today
  • whiskeyyfitness
    whiskeyyfitness Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    7bf08cfs8f58.png
  • motivatedsister
    Options
    Thanks for the incline tips! I just did W4D1 yesterday as usual no incline. Now that I know I can do it, I think I'll try it with a slight incline on my next run and see how it goes.
  • Steve25k
    Steve25k Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Just be a bit wary on the treadmill - I did all my training on a treadmill for a 10 mile run, and then the 10 mile run really killed my ankles. I was used to running on a perfectly flat treadmill, but the road surface has a camber and there are bumps and lumps all over the place. Even if you can run 5km on a treadmill it's worth taking it easy when you first go outside.
  • carrieoffen
    carrieoffen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just completed the week one day one of the zombies run couch to 5k!

On advice from here i used the 1.0 incline
  • motivatedsister
    Options
    Finished week 4, now on to week 5!

Now that the running intervals are getting longer, I'm finding the treadmill a little monotonous. I have a long commute so I already get up super early, so I don't think running in the AM outside is possible. It's way too hot in the afternoon when I get home, and I fear waiting to run later when it cools off outside will make me skip it! So maybe running outside for me will have to wait until the fall.

Any tips from the folks that are running on the treadmill? I of course have my music going....maybe I need some new tunes, but what else can I do to help me mentally with my runs?
  • spartanhollis
    spartanhollis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    second day of week 2 today. Went ok. Got up to 8.5km/h on the treadmill. Sunday was first go at 90 second intervals outside. Tis mental how much longer that seems than a minute.
    I have to sing under my breath so I don't get stitch at the moment - hoping it helps me master this breathing malarky. :/

singing will help you run at the most appropriate speed. I can't stress enough how running slow is the best way to go.

YES: running is at least 90% mental. I sing to my favorite songs while running, or run through a to-do list, or count backwards. Whatever it takes to keep my mind occupied. Good luck!

• Steve25k
    Steve25k Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Any tips from the folks that are running on the treadmill? I of course have my music going....maybe I need some new tunes, but what else can I do to help me mentally with my runs?

I used to watch sports and endurance stuff on my tablet (held onto the treadmill with an elastic band) like "the man who cycled the world".
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    erinhollis wrote: »
    girlinahat wrote: »
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    second day of week 2 today. Went ok. Got up to 8.5km/h on the treadmill. Sunday was first go at 90 second intervals outside. Tis mental how much longer that seems than a minute.
    I have to sing under my breath so I don't get stitch at the moment - hoping it helps me master this breathing malarky. :/

singing will help you run at the most appropriate speed. I can't stress enough how running slow is the best way to go.

YES: running is at least 90% mental. I sing to my favorite songs while running, or run through a to-do list, or count backwards. Whatever it takes to keep my mind occupied. Good luck!

on my last half marathon i needed to distract myself, so i just counted to 100 over and over until something else got into my head!
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    I found myself skipping wk4 day3 and going straight to wk5. I'm fine with the 5 min runs, but worry about the 8 and then 20 mins.

I am wondering though: When the app says: Run 3/4 mile or 8 mins, do you still get the voice telling you when to start/stop?