WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2017

Options

Replies

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Have a happy Sunday! Lots of work to do today, since I didn't get much done yesterday! sending hugs to those who need them! ttfn xoxo KJ
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    wow amazing what good bedding can do.. Holy Cow I slept almost 10 hrs..the sheets feel like a dream.. the set was originally 159.00 :open_mouth: its was on sale and I used a 20% coupon.. I also bought a 500 count mattress pad that actually fits my mattress.. ahhhhh
    Tom acting odd this morning.. he now takes his phone in the bathroom with him( im guessing texting the friend)
    He is making oatmeal now and then we will go see his dad... and from there I will be doing more housework..I did get my room cleaned up of all the clutter..
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Good morning all,
    I hope everyone has a successful Sunday and get outside.
    When I worked Texas Parks and Wildlife our agencies' slogan was "Life's better outside." Which reminds me of the TV show on the Animal Planet channel called "Lone Star Law." It is all about the game wardens in Texas. (Try to watch it!)
    It's neat to see the men and women and the trucks and boats!! I drove a truck once in a while and find pride driving with the TPWD emblem on the door. I miss that being retired. It was the best agency to work for. (I worked for TxDOT too)

Lanette I have my grandmother's buffet and table she bought in Los Angeles back in 1924. I'll always keep them along with my Ethan Alan hutch I have.

Bridges: I love them!! I crossed over this wood bridge in northern Arkansas when we decided to take a back road from Bentonville to Branson. It was cool, but stayed at the posted speed limit!!

Have a good day!
    Dana in Arkansas
    udt9qpl53pmp.jpg
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,093 Member
    Options
    Katla I have forgotten to put the carafe in its spot before making coffee. I had a mess from that one too.

One more week at temporary full time job. I a have enjoyed it overall. It has convinced me I do not want to work full time again. I prefer the part-time. Ill have more time to comment once I am done. I have tried to at least skim most days to keep up.

Mary hope you are more comfortable now. Baking soda and oatmeal bathes can help too. They do make a clear calamine lotion so you don't have the staining. Adding lavender helps with preventing any scaring.

:heart: Margaret
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    Leonora, tzachi, not to sure of the spelling, is a Greek yogurt based dip which is very low in calories.

Tzatziki dip (white Greek yogurt with cucumber) is very nice. :)

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,423 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Good morning!

Barbie, I just took my inner toddler out for a morning walk. Thank you for sharing that - I need to honor it more in myself AND in others.

Those of you who do strength training at home via the "Strong Women Stay Young" model - please tell me about the brands/types/sizes of dumbbells and ankle weights you use. And where you got them. I have an assortment I've collected through the years, but getting up over 6# will be the next challenge.

I've been doing some internet looking - but before I hit the purchase button, I would like to hear more ideas.

Thank you!

Lanette
    Chilly SW WA State
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Katie - glad your second test results were clear!

Heather - thinking of you and the other UK ladies. So sad, the hatred that inspires these people.....

Michelle - those jello treats sound darling. If you make them be sure to post a picture.

Enjoying this sorting/decluttering adventure. It's odd how I let something hang over my head and bother me instead of just tackling it. Human nature I guess!

TNToni Feeling so much better today
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Becca – Love the flowers; my DMnL would have really loved them, she was a lavender type of woman.

fvsp1213 – Cute dog; sign your posts with the name you prefer to be addresses as; give a location (general or specific), and then tell us a little something about yourself, family, pets, hobbies, goals, and that sort of thing so we’ll get to know you better. Welcome to the site.

Heather – WOW! What a testimony to MFP and making it a ‘way of life for you’. I’ve been here 700+ days and it is working for me. I need to change up something to ‘kick my butt off this plateau I’ve been on’. But, very happy with where I am going.

Kelly – Makes you want to run to Hobby Lobby and buy several packages of stick on eyes to carry around. Maybe a few mustaches and/or lips. I think I liked the ‘frog’ the most because not too many people would see it as such without the eyes. Thanks for sharing.
    Enjoyed the signs as well; but, I did not ‘understand’ the first one; but, probably something simple.

Dana and Lanette – My oldest sister got our parents’ dining room table and hutch. The table folds down to one that will seat only two; and, with leaves in it will seat 12 comfortably. Each of us got 4 chairs. Once she got it we (both middle sister and I) swapped out a ‘choice’ in order for her to have all 4 chairs. I got her kitchen table and chairs; then, we had one made and we gave it to DOS and DDnL#1. They later got her Granny’s table and chairs; but, in bad condition. Chairs creaked when you sat in them. They later had a table made similar to ours. I can remember wondering how my sister ‘stood’ the table and chairs she gave me. The chairs were ‘miserable’; but, they had had it for over 25 years. We have 5 Windsor chairs; but, I cannot remember how or where we got the 4 armless chairs. OH, yeah, I remember … we bought it with a round table and my DYS was really trying to help by cleaning up and used Comet on it. Took the shine right off the Formica top. We ended up selling it in a garage sale (without the leaf in it). I think Louis put a clear sealant on it. I could not be mad at him; because he didn’t know it would ruin the top of it. I bought a similar arm chair that isn’t exactly like the 4 armless chairs; but, close enough.

I can remember going across a wooden bridge at “Higgin’s Mill” on Sundays in the summer and playing in the water and over the rocks. There was a huge grist mill there; and, the big wheel still turned. The parents of one my middle sister’s HS friends owned the land. It had missing pieces; and the wood in the opposite direction where the tires went, were warped. I’d cry whenever we’d go across it because it creaked and all that and I thought we’d fall in. I think the area has now been made into a ‘gated community’ and some of it is under the Lake when they damned up “High Falls”. I think it was a suspension bridge as well.

naturalhome… - Welcome to this site. Pick an avatar, and sign your posts with what you prefer to be called, give a location (general or specific), tell us a little about yourself, family, pets, hobbies, goals … that sort of thing and make sure you ‘bookmark’ the page by clicking on the outline of the star at the upper right-hand corner of the posting area at the top of the page. Barbiecat will post a link each last day of the month for the next month; when she does, you will also need to ‘bookmark’ that one the same way. Then all you have to do is click on the ‘gray’ star between the bell and gear.

Lenora
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :) About the spelling bee. First, most kids at that level are more likely to be introverts who love to study and learn not unlike the kids who end up as quiz-bowl or trivia champs. Second, it's not so much that they memorize the dictionary as that they learn about languages and derivations. I'm not a speller at that level but when I knew that a word came from French, Spanish, Latin, or Hawaiian, I was able to draw on what I know about spelling patterns in those languages. That's why they are allowed to ask about the language derivation, part of speech, meaning, and have the word used in a sentence. I looked up info about past national spelling bees and the words have gotten harder. The words in the 40's and 50's were words that were familiar. The challenge has gotten much harder..not unlike the way figure skaters are doing many quad jumps now and decades ago were doing double jumps and pretty spins to win championships.

469367makfzcur9b.gif Katie, hooray for good test results

2157045gp85zev8ri.gif Lanette I got my dumbbells from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WKK5HE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ankle weights https://www.amazon.com/Altus-Athletic-20-Pound-Standard-Weights/dp/B001FB5VAW I got one set at Big Five and the other from Amazon but it appears that they are not available from Amazon. I like that they are adjustable so you can gradually make them heavier.

<3 Barbie

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

we will c how much better my hip is, I did okay yesterday... I was achy yesterday after the workout. had a pinched nerve on my shoulder. my *kitten* cheeks hut too. gonna go in the hot tub today too.

grits - that was still war n peace there.....
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Heather: Terrorists deserve the lowest and most horrible portion of Hell. I'm sorry there was damage to the bridge and people were hurt or killed. :heart: :broken_heart: Several years ago we visited the historic London Bridge in Lake Havasu, Arizona. It was much smaller than I expected, but also charming. :flowerforyou: Congratulations on your personal achievements with diet, exercise and alcohol. :bigsmile:

Chris in MA: Happy 1000 days!!!! Congratulations on great self-care! :star::star::star:

KJLaMore: The googly eyes on damaged things put a smile on my face. Thanks for sharing! :bigsmile:

naturalhome: Welcome to a great group of supportive women! :flowerforyou:

I cleaned my drip coffee maker yesterday evening using distilled white vinegar, and the first go-round was a disaster. I didn't get the basket that holds the coffee grounds in its correct place and had hot vinegar all over my kitchen counter. After I cleaned up that mess, I started over with the baskets in their proper places. This morning's coffee is good and the kitchen counters look fabulous. I may have deliberate hot white vinegar accidents in the future! :laugh:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn
  • MartiB856
    MartiB856 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    B)
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    On the subject of super spellers - From what I have seen as a teacher, they are kids/people who have made connections to language patterns/phonics combinations/etc. in English and other languages. They are not memorizers although the more they study words, the more they grasp the patterns. They do have a super talent for this, plus nerves of steel to compete, I suppose.

Katla - bet your kitchen smelled great! In my home town there was a vinegar works near downtown. It smelled heavenly to me! I loved vinegar so much as a kid that a capful of vinegar was my reward for being a good girl getting my hair washed. Mom used vinegar to rinse our hair. When the ordeal was all over I got my sip right from the cap. Guess most kids would think that was a punishment!

Pip - Glad you are healing up! Dare I say, "Hip, Hip Hooray!" to you and Heather?

Must get ready for my 12:30 shift now. This job is such a wonderful blessing!

Toni
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Toni - I still occasionally take a sneaky sip of vinegar from the bottle! :embarassed: When I was a schoolgirl I used to get home from school and take a slice of white bread from the packet and sprinkle it with vinegar to eat it. :noway: I do adore my sour pickles, but not chutney as I don't like the sugar in them. I especially detest sugar and vinegar together as in bottled sauces, ketchup etc. I love Indian pickles and have them every day. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    1207906t5ef8adzuh.gif
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA 436227peh2tec0ns.gif
    Hubs is on Kayak looking for our flight to see daughter in VA the week of 7/24! See ya soon!!!

Cheri
    in almost raining College Station, TX
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Cheri!!! Can't wait to see you!

Karen in Virginia