June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @hanlonsk Great report and finish time for your first HM. You may hurt less than you think.
    Especially if you get some post race walking in to let the muscles cool down and an easy natural stretch.
    Loved the "so this country girl may or may not have cut off into the woods mid race".
    I always knew about Deadwood, SD because I once attended a Public School that was named Deadwood ( in Alberta, Canada ) - one of the stories was in the early 1900's Dustbowl days people had abandoned their land in SD and moved North to get out of the Dustbowls and called their new Homestead Deadwood after where their families had moved from.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Way to rock your first HM @hanlonsk ! I love your friends' OR contribution, haha
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    June Goal: Goal? We don't need no stinkin goal.....

6/1 nothin
    6/2 4.00
    6/3 4.00
    6/4 4.00

Total 12.00

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png

upcoming races:
    Volcano Rainforest Runs 10k 8/19
    BlockThe Sun Run 5k Oct 14 (https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017) (physical and virtual options available)

• NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow runners!

6/1: 8.7k -w/u, Tempo Run, c/d-
    6/2: 10.3k -again Tempo-
    6/4: 7.1k - urban running

Aim: 26.1k/161k

Legs feel heavy due to concrete retain. I am in Cyprus for a survey and I cannot find any different retain. Let's hope not to injure anything.

Stay free of injuries!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @karllundy Did I miss your race report?

I saw that sub 2 half on Strava. Way to kill it!

I haven't done one yet. Sometime this morning if work isn't too crazy.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 4 miles
    6/2 - Pre-race rest day. Ate some donuts for national donut day / carb load :wink:
    6/3 - 13.2 miles. Damn HOT Dam to Dam half marathon! Race report forthcoming.
    6/4 - Ow.
    6/5 - Still ow. Had hoped for a recovery run, but decided against it when I got up.

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    6/1 - 4 miles
    6/2 - Pre-race rest day. Ate some donuts for national donut day / carb load :wink:
    6/3 - 13.2 miles. Damn HOT Dam to Dam half marathon! Race report forthcoming.
    6/4 - Ow.
    6/5 - Still ow. Had hoped for a recovery run, but decided against it when I got up.

exercise.png

@karllundy hope your legs stop owing soon.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    My trail/ultra running friend is either thr best/most encouraging friend ever, or he wants to see me suffer........
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    My trail/ultra running friend is either thr best/most encouraging friend ever, or he wants to see me suffer........
    Both.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    6/1- REST
    6/2- 5.2 Miles
    6/3- 19
    6/4- 4.3
    6/5- 4.2

Total: 28.5

Goal for June. Finish Marathon training well, taper well and run Grandma's well
    Nominal mileage goal: 100

Today's notes: 4 miles were assigned. I ran 4.2 at 9:23 pace. My quads still hate me from the one big downhill near the end of Saturday's run, but other than that, it was a decent run. A flat route, but I figure giving the quads rest is a good idea now.

Have a runderful day all!

2017 Races
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon (Full!)
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 50k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    6/1 5miles 46:33min
    6/2 3miles 27:09min
    6/3 7miles 65:53min
    6/4 rest
    6/5 3miles 27:52min

3 miles on the treadmill today. Tapering feels kinda crazy. Tomorrow is 4, then 3, then rest, then 3. I haven't done this little running in a loooonnnnggg time.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for June

6/1 10.5 miles - 10.5
    6/2 7.5 miles - 18
    6/3 14 miles - 32
    6/4 REST DAY
    6/5 8 miles - 40

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    None so far
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    So as mentioned previously, I've been re-reading the book 80/20 Running, and I realised that I've been letting myself slip in regards to the 20% portion of my running. If I'm honest with myself, that 20% has really been at mid-level effort, or if I've put in any actual high intensity work, then it's been maybe 5% of my running at best...that is, I've not been putting in the level of effort actually required for the 20%.

I'm not familiar with that book, so I don't know whether it calls for 20% of the time or 20% of the miles to be hard. Other systems are more nuanced, and call for decreasing percentages (typically of miles) at increasing levels of intensity. Maybe 15% at mid-level and 5% at high intensity isn't as bad as you think.

Confession: I've never actually calculated the percentage of my distance at various paces, and I haven't paid strict attention to what the target percentages are. I do, however, honor the concept that most of the running miles should be easy.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    No worries @RespectTheKitty. We would all rather you be healthy and happy than sacrificing that over some race. I hope your back is OK.

Honestly, this year I have started to question why I sign up for so many events. I like running on my own schedule per my training plan and I have to keep modifying everything to fit in all these events I signed up for. At this point, I have loads of bling and swag, and while those are nice, it's also starting to seem a bit ridiculous. About the only thing I really get excited about is a great finish time, but to do that I would have to target my training for one specific event, then recover and start again. That's not how I have worked before, and tend to just sign up for events to just do them.

I guess that's a long way of saying that events don't have to be for just everyone. And there's nothing wrong with not doing them either. What matters is that you enjoy running and do so in a way that maximizes that joy for you.

I kinda echo this. Since KDF Marathon, I haven't been all that thrilled to sign up for anything right now.