Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

I don't support the fat acceptance/plus size movement.

Options

Replies

• peckchris3267
    peckchris3267 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I also know of plenty of places to get free or affordable healthcare, emergency rooms have to treat serious injuries, poor people quality for Medicaid, when your insurance runs out and you run out of resources, you will also qualify for Medicaid. I have first hand experience with this. I have done very well and been down and out. When I was down and out my daughters and I were on food stamps, Medicaid, and other welfare. We stayed on them until I got back up on my feet again. Some people here just don't want this to be true.

"Plenty of places" for free and affordable healthcare? Please enlighten us.

So you think that people having to wait until their life is in danger to go to the ER for "free" medical care for a problem that could have been easily addressed with preventive care is a viable, economical solution to the healthcare crisis? Really?

So people are supposed to run to the ER because it's the only place they can't be turned away, bankrupt themselves will the medical bills they rack up there, lose all their assets, then sign up for Medicaid now that they have nothing left in life, so they can finally get free care outside of the ER? And you think that's a good, economical, working system? That's back-*kitten*-wards. Mind-boggling. :o
    Yes, I believe people should pay for their medical needs until they can no longer do so, them the government takes over. I absolutely believe this is how it should go. If you have a good job that offers insurance and you choose not to purchase it because it might tighten your budget more than you would like, there are consequences to that decision. If you are below the poverty level you will get free health care. If you have insurance and you max it out you should have to liquidate your assets to pay your medical bills. Bottom line, no one is being left out to die .
    But is it of the same quality as those who "have a good job that offers insurance "? If yes,then fine,but if not then surely you can see how unjust that is? Those with health problems are those most likely to be unable to work and therefore unable to buy health insurance .
    Also I would hope that civilised societies can aspire to more than simply making sure people don't die! What about quality of life,what about being able to work at all (ie not being prevented from doing so by ill health)
    Why should poor people get the same quality care as rich people? That doesn't even make sense. There are benefits to being rich, you get private hospital suites and name brand meds while the poor have to share a room and get generic drugs. I see no problem with that.
    The poor are still getting treatment.

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    The poor are still getting *some* treatment. Whether or not it's adequate is another matter.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    This thread has gone waaay off the topic of body positivity...surprised it hasn't been nuked yet.
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Regarding the OP:
    I think the important thing about the fat acceptance movement is NOT about saying 'yes, it's fine to be super obese'. I see it more as a mental health statement. When we accept ourselves, we can then becomes agents of change. For example, it's the first step of AA: "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable." It's the same with our bodies. In accepting that I am a fatass, I now know what the target is and can work towards solutions. Our mental health is absolutely vital to our overall health and successes. If we don't embrace ourselves as we are, we can never truly be a better version of ourself.
  • peckchris3267
    Options
    https://www.naafaonline.com/dev2/about/

NAAFA: the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance
    Founded in 1969, the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance (NAAFA) is a non-profit, all volunteer, civil rights organization dedicated to protecting the rights and improving the quality of life for fat people. NAAFA works to eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment through advocacy, public education, and support.

Why Should I Support NAAFA?
    Fat people are discriminated against in all aspects of daily life, from employment to education to access to public accommodations, and even access to adequate medical care. This discrimination occurs despite evidence that 95 to 98 percent of diets fail over five years and that 65 million Americans are labeled “obese.” Our thin-obsessed society firmly believes that fat people are at fault for their size and it is politically correct to stigmatize and ridicule them. Fat discrimination is one of the last publicly accepted discriminatory practices. Fat people have rights and they need to be upheld!

NAAFA’s message of size acceptance and self-acceptance is often overshadowed by a $49 billion-a-year diet industry that has a vested economic interest in perpetuating discrimination against fat people. Without active financial support from people like you, NAAFA would not exist and could not fulfill its crucial role defending your rights. While it is an uphill battle to achieve our goals, together we are making a difference.
    Our Vision
    A society in which people of every size are accepted with dignity and equality in all aspects of life.

Our Mission
    To eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment though public education, advocacy, and support.

Our Promise
    NAAFA will be a powerful force for positive social change. Using our collec­tive will, talents and resources, we will improve the world — not just for fat people, but for everyone.

We Come in All Sizes…
    Understand it.
    Support it.
    Accept it.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    https://www.naafaonline.com/dev2/about/

NAAFA: the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance
    Founded in 1969, the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance (NAAFA) is a non-profit, all volunteer, civil rights organization dedicated to protecting the rights and improving the quality of life for fat people. NAAFA works to eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment through advocacy, public education, and support.

Why Should I Support NAAFA?
    Fat people are discriminated against in all aspects of daily life, from employment to education to access to public accommodations, and even access to adequate medical care. This discrimination occurs despite evidence that 95 to 98 percent of diets fail over five years and that 65 million Americans are labeled “obese.” Our thin-obsessed society firmly believes that fat people are at fault for their size and it is politically correct to stigmatize and ridicule them. Fat discrimination is one of the last publicly accepted discriminatory practices. Fat people have rights and they need to be upheld!

NAAFA’s message of size acceptance and self-acceptance is often overshadowed by a $49 billion-a-year diet industry that has a vested economic interest in perpetuating discrimination against fat people. Without active financial support from people like you, NAAFA would not exist and could not fulfill its crucial role defending your rights. While it is an uphill battle to achieve our goals, together we are making a difference.
    Our Vision
    A society in which people of every size are accepted with dignity and equality in all aspects of life.

Our Mission
    To eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment though public education, advocacy, and support.

Our Promise
    NAAFA will be a powerful force for positive social change. Using our collec­tive will, talents and resources, we will improve the world — not just for fat people, but for everyone.

We Come in All Sizes…
    Understand it.
    Support it.
    Accept it.

I don't see any issue with 90% of these statements. The only part that I disagree with is the bolded - fat people ARE at fault for their size. We got fat by eating too much. The rest of it seems pretty spot on, though. Why should being fat = less dignity and respect? I believe that we should all strive to be healthier, and that nearly always includes shedding excess fat, but I don't believe that we should be ridiculed or disrespected if we haven't yet done that.
  • peckchris3267
    Options
    I support fat acceptance because much like thousands of other habits, hobbies, body modification, medical choices, religious and/or personal choices, sexual orientation, gender acceptance....etc etc...the way someone else chooses to live is NOT my business. Feeling mentally happy/healthy in your skin is very personal and private.

These movements aren't about "agreeing" with obesity. It's about acknowledging that *others* have no business judging them for their personal choices and certainly not determining who "deserves to feel happy about themselves".

Anything that promotes positive minds is a good thing. It's that simple. And people who judge or shame the choices of others are simply disgraceful. If you don't like overweight people feeling good about themselves as human beings (?!)...its probably *you* that needs some introspection and therapy. Not them.

Sorry, but ...ugh.

But that is not what this organization is about, this is in their own words;

"Association to Advance Fat Acceptance (NAAFA) is a non-profit, all volunteer, civil rights organization dedicated to protecting the rights and improving the quality of life for fat people."

What rights are fat people being deprived of?
  • taurian14
    taurian14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I believe this movement is about loving yourself and knowing that your weight doesn't define who you are. Yes it's a part of you that you can choose to change. For myself, until I learned to love myself, I couldn't get into losing weight and knowing that this was a lifestyle change, not just a diet. The movement is about accepting other's for who they are and not treating them badly or bullying them because they are overweight. This can perpetuate emotional eating that almost everyone can relate to and continue the cycle. Everyone deserves to be treated with respect and dignity even if they don't look the same as the often time to thin models that society tries to push as the norm.
  • ncolj
    ncolj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to what do you get out of criticizing the plus sized movement. You sound like a fat person looking for a reason to look down on another fat person... Who do you criticize? The people that weigh 189lbs?
This discussion has been closed.