Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

I don't support the fat acceptance/plus size movement.

Options

Replies

• raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and I weigh 13 stones 4lbs ( 188lbs) and I want to be 10 stones (140lbs) I've lost 21 lbs so far.
    I don't support the plus size or fat acceptance movement, because it promotes unhealthiness. Overweight and Obesity can lead to type 2 diabetes, hypertension, . hypercholesterolemia, stroke, joint pains and CHD.
    Two years ago when I went for a blood test. My blood cholesterol level was 5.2 that was all to do with my unhealthy lifestyle and weight. That was a wake up call for me.
    When I critique the plus size and fat acceptance movement, I get accused of being a shallow bully. I have heard a lot of the supporters saying that you can be fat and healthy at the same time-which is absolute nonsense!
    I'm a plus size woman and I'm not happy with my size or health. I'm doing a lot about my weight.

I agree with you 100%

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    THE POINT IS....MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS. I AM TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT AND WHY SHOULD ANYONE ELSE CARE?

That's the exact opposite of HAES/FA. HAES is insisting that fat is healthy and "beautiful". It is not. HAES is an active political movement to try to change people's perception of disgusting narcisists who think a political movement to be "beautiful" is less work than just eating less.

What specific laws are you concerned they will get passed or what specific things do you think they will achieve.

As I've mentioned, I don't see them as powerful or socially prominent at all, and if anything I find awareness of obesity as a health risk is nearly universal and certainly more common than it was when I was a kid.

The most concerning to me is getting weight added to the list of categories against which discrimination is illegal because in that case they can force cost-prohibitive accommodations on businesses, and and make it difficult not to hire (or to fire) employees whose weight is detrimental to their job performance.

In what kind of job would weight itself be detrimental to job performance? I understand lack of fitness being an issue, but I've worked in busy kitchens and warehouses with overweight people. Some of them did quite well, others didn't. I understand that many overweight people are unfit, but so are some thin people. I would rather evaluate someone by how they did a job.

policemen? firemen?

IF you can hump your gear, plus your weight, plus the weight of another person, what's the issue??

I'm less concerned about the moderately overweight fireman being able to do his job than the under BMI nurse who may have to move the same patient.
    I have the answer: horse jockey. :D

EDIT: Noticed later that it's been said already.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Fat acceptance is enabling. It is damaging people's health in order to avoid damaging their feelings. Which is crueler?
    Woodsmoke wrote: »
    You should never believe that it's okay for someone to remain overweight, but for me 'fat acceptance' is keeping high-horse opinions to yourself, not judging and never picking on someone for their weight. People who mock and disgrace those with weight issues have a distinct lack of humanity and basic decency.

Encourage them to change their lives, but don't hate on overweight people.

Overeating is similar to other destructive behaviors, like smoking, excessive drinking, etc., in that it is a self-inflicted condition. It differs, however, in the inability to conceal the issue. I can refrain from smoking or drinking and largely conceal the fact that I engage in these behaviors when I need to (from casual acquaintances, anyway); however, there is no hiding that I am overweight, it is always in plain sight, and since I need to eat and it is pretty much acceptable to eat everywhere (unlike smoking and drinking), there is unlimited judgment and temptation.

The key is balancing a minimal amount of acceptance with avoiding enabling. Making it acceptable to degrade one's health is not kindness.
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    The bullying of actress Sarah Hyland is the reason why I'm not on board with fat acceptance or so-called body positivity. Kidney displasia and the resulting weight loss are 'thin privilege' and 'pro-ana' apparently. I'll NEVER accept an ideology that embraces such bullying encased in bitterness and jealousy. They should be ashamed of themselves.

• jwalker1989
    jwalker1989 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't accept it either, my reasoning is for younger people who may not be aware of the repercussions later in life they may face from being overweight/obese. I feel that it is giving an excuse to people to not get up and do something about their weight problem. I do realize there are people who are overweight who are healthier than people who are average or underweight. This is my personal opinion though, if they are truly happy with how they look and feel then cheers to them. I think this is part of the reason I don't understand it because when I am out of shape I feel horrible, mentally and physically.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    jl04bu46ck7c.jpeg

LOL.

ETA: That was a joke, right? :#
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    jl04bu46ck7c.jpeg

LOL.

ETA: That was a joke, right? :#

It is a joke, but it's making a point by showing a mirror image of the demands of fat activists.

• peckchris3267
    peckchris3267 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    sssynnamon wrote: »
    Ugh. Wake up. There's no damn movement trying to force us to accept that fat is anything other than unattractive except by some dipshit media idiot deciding that it would be a cool story that would get them noticed because there are so many fat people in this country who refuse to take responsibility for their own lack of control. I say this as someone who has over indulged. As someone who was once an athlete. As someone who was once a competitive bodybuilder. As someone who, somewhere along the line, decided the burgers, tacos, pasta, fries, alcohol, cigarettes, and crack (yep, you read that right) were more important than making some choices that are healthier. I say it as someone who was hospitalized with congestive heart failure who STILL thought it was ok to eat whatever the hell I wanted because i didn't think i should be denied anything. Not sure why i felt t that way. I'm guessing i briefly bought into the media hype that we all deserve trophies simply because we exist. Yeah..... We DON'T. With VERY few exceptions, people are fat because they refuse to exercise self control. Excuses are just that... Excuses. Your mama and daddy didn't love you enough, so you turned to food. EXCUSE. Your cousin/ funny uncle/ neighbor touched you inappropriately, so you turned to food. EXCUSE. Some person you really loved had the nerve to die unexpectedly, so you turned to food. EXCUSE. You people haven't been through anything I haven't, so you don't get to say I don't understand. If you're on MFP and you're looking at this, I assume it means you're ready to make a change. Good for you. I decided that it was time to take my life back. To take control back instead of trying to find ways to escape what happened. I walked away from addiction through sheer willpower. That may not work for everyone. The first thing you have to do is get PISSED at the things you've allowed to control you. Then take that control back. You have to figure out how to do that. There's no magic pill. There's no magic diet. No one is going to do it for you. Get up off your ample *kitten* and do it for yourself and stop expecting those of us who've bothered to do the work to make way for you. If you won't do it yourself... Then put your really big girl (Or boy) panties on and remind yourself "sticks and stones..."
    Actually there is such a movement.

https://www.naafaonline.com/dev2/about/

"NAAFA: the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance
    Founded in 1969, the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance (NAAFA) is a non-profit, all volunteer, civil rights organization dedicated to protecting the rights and improving the quality of life for fat people. NAAFA works to eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment through advocacy, public education, and support.

Why Should I Support NAAFA?
    Fat people are discriminated against in all aspects of daily life, from employment to education to access to public accommodations, and even access to adequate medical care. This discrimination occurs despite evidence that 95 to 98 percent of diets fail over five years and that 65 million Americans are labeled “obese.” Our thin-obsessed society firmly believes that fat people are at fault for their size and it is politically correct to stigmatize and ridicule them. Fat discrimination is one of the last publicly accepted discriminatory practices. Fat people have rights and they need to be upheld!

NAAFA’s message of size acceptance and self-acceptance is often overshadowed by a $49 billion-a-year diet industry that has a vested economic interest in perpetuating discrimination against fat people. Without active financial support from people like you, NAAFA would not exist and could not fulfill its crucial role defending your rights. While it is an uphill battle to achieve our goals, together we are making a difference."
  • peckchris3267
    Options

NAAFA: the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance
    Founded in 1969, the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance (NAAFA) is a non-profit, all volunteer, civil rights organization dedicated to protecting the rights and improving the quality of life for fat people. NAAFA works to eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment through advocacy, public education, and support.

Why Should I Support NAAFA?
    Fat people are discriminated against in all aspects of daily life, from employment to education to access to public accommodations, and even access to adequate medical care. This discrimination occurs despite evidence that 95 to 98 percent of diets fail over five years and that 65 million Americans are labeled “obese.” Our thin-obsessed society firmly believes that fat people are at fault for their size and it is politically correct to stigmatize and ridicule them. Fat discrimination is one of the last publicly accepted discriminatory practices. Fat people have rights and they need to be upheld!

NAAFA’s message of size acceptance and self-acceptance is often overshadowed by a $49 billion-a-year diet industry that has a vested economic interest in perpetuating discrimination against fat people. Without active financial support from people like you, NAAFA would not exist and could not fulfill its crucial role defending your rights. While it is an uphill battle to achieve our goals, together we are making a difference.
  • peckchris3267
    Options
    To the people who think socialized medicine or group pays are a bad thing, you have a rude awakening coming when you get older. you are going to beg for someone younger to help you stay alive.
    Socialized medicine is a bad thing. Look at the countries that have it, it doesn't work. I am on two medical forums that are based out of the U.K. and people from all over the world are on it. One is a hip replacement forum and the other is a hemochromatosis forum. I have talked to many people from countries about the issues they have had with socialized medicine and it is not good at all.

This discussion has been closed.