Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

I don't support the fat acceptance/plus size movement.

Options

Replies

• tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    sssynnamon wrote: »
    Ugh. Wake up. There's no damn movement trying to force us to accept that fat is anything other than unattractive except by some dipshit media idiot deciding that it would be a cool story that would get them noticed because there are so many fat people in this country who refuse to take responsibility for their own lack of control. I say this as someone who has over indulged. As someone who was once an athlete. As someone who was once a competitive bodybuilder. As someone who, somewhere along the line, decided the burgers, tacos, pasta, fries, alcohol, cigarettes, and crack (yep, you read that right) were more important than making some choices that are healthier. I say it as someone who was hospitalized with congestive heart failure who STILL thought it was ok to eat whatever the hell I wanted because i didn't think i should be denied anything. Not sure why i felt t that way. I'm guessing i briefly bought into the media hype that we all deserve trophies simply because we exist. Yeah..... We DON'T. With VERY few exceptions, people are fat because they refuse to exercise self control. Excuses are just that... Excuses. Your mama and daddy didn't love you enough, so you turned to food. EXCUSE. Your cousin/ funny uncle/ neighbor touched you inappropriately, so you turned to food. EXCUSE. Some person you really loved had the nerve to die unexpectedly, so you turned to food. EXCUSE. You people haven't been through anything I haven't, so you don't get to say I don't understand. If you're on MFP and you're looking at this, I assume it means you're ready to make a change. Good for you. I decided that it was time to take my life back. To take control back instead of trying to find ways to escape what happened. I walked away from addiction through sheer willpower. That may not work for everyone. The first thing you have to do is get PISSED at the things you've allowed to control you. Then take that control back. You have to figure out how to do that. There's no magic pill. There's no magic diet. No one is going to do it for you. Get up off your ample *kitten* and do it for yourself and stop expecting those of us who've bothered to do the work to make way for you. If you won't do it yourself... Then put your really big girl (Or boy) panties on and remind yourself "sticks and stones..."

Wow. One of the best posts I've ever read on this forum.
  • peckchris3267
    peckchris3267 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    tattygun wrote: »
    Ugh. Wake up. There's no damn movement trying to force us to accept that fat is anything other than unattractive except by some dipshit media idiot deciding that it would be a cool story that would get them noticed because there are so many fat people in this country who refuse to take responsibility for their own lack of control. I say this as someone who has over indulged. As someone who was once an athlete. As someone who was once a competitive bodybuilder. As someone who, somewhere along the line, decided the burgers, tacos, pasta, fries, alcohol, cigarettes, and crack (yep, you read that right) were more important than making some choices that are healthier. I say it as someone who was hospitalized with congestive heart failure who STILL thought it was ok to eat whatever the hell I wanted because i didn't think i should be denied anything. Not sure why i felt t that way. I'm guessing i briefly bought into the media hype that we all deserve trophies simply because we exist. Yeah..... We DON'T. With VERY few exceptions, people are fat because they refuse to exercise self control. Excuses are just that... Excuses. Your mama and daddy didn't love you enough, so you turned to food. EXCUSE. Your cousin/ funny uncle/ neighbor touched you inappropriately, so you turned to food. EXCUSE. Some person you really loved had the nerve to die unexpectedly, so you turned to food. EXCUSE. You people haven't been through anything I haven't, so you don't get to say I don't understand. If you're on MFP and you're looking at this, I assume it means you're ready to make a change. Good for you. I decided that it was time to take my life back. To take control back instead of trying to find ways to escape what happened. I walked away from addiction through sheer willpower. That may not work for everyone. The first thing you have to do is get PISSED at the things you've allowed to control you. Then take that control back. You have to figure out how to do that. There's no magic pill. There's no magic diet. No one is going to do it for you. Get up off your ample *kitten* and do it for yourself and stop expecting those of us who've bothered to do the work to make way for you. If you won't do it yourself... Then put your really big girl (Or boy) panties on and remind yourself "sticks and stones..."

Actually, you are wrong, there is actually such a movement.

https://www.naafaonline.com/dev2/about/

"About Us
    NAAFA: the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance
    Founded in 1969, the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance (NAAFA) is a non-profit, all volunteer, civil rights organization dedicated to protecting the rights and improving the quality of life for fat people. NAAFA works to eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment through advocacy, public education, and support.

Why Should I Support NAAFA?
    Fat people are discriminated against in all aspects of daily life, from employment to education to access to public accommodations, and even access to adequate medical care. This discrimination occurs despite evidence that 95 to 98 percent of diets fail over five years and that 65 million Americans are labeled “obese.” Our thin-obsessed society firmly believes that fat people are at fault for their size and it is politically correct to stigmatize and ridicule them. Fat discrimination is one of the last publicly accepted discriminatory practices. Fat people have rights and they need to be upheld!

NAAFA’s message of size acceptance and self-acceptance is often overshadowed by a $49 billion-a-year diet industry that has a vested economic interest in perpetuating discrimination against fat people. Without active financial support from people like you, NAAFA would not exist and could not fulfill its crucial role defending your rights. While it is an uphill battle to achieve our goals, together we are making a difference.
    Our Vision
    A society in which people of every size are accepted with dignity and equality in all aspects of life.

Our Mission
    To eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment though public education, advocacy, and support.

Our Promise
    NAAFA will be a powerful force for positive social change. Using our collec­tive will, talents and resources, we will improve the world — not just for fat people, but for everyone.

We Come in All Sizes…
    Understand it.
    Support it.
    Accept it."

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

"About Us
    Founded in 1969, the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance (NAAFA) is a non-profit, all volunteer, civil rights organization dedicated to protecting the rights and improving the quality of life for fat people. NAAFA works to eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment through advocacy, public education, and support.

Fat people are discriminated against in all aspects of daily life, from employment to education to access to public accommodations, and even access to adequate medical care. This discrimination occurs despite evidence that 95 to 98 percent of diets fail over five years and that 65 million Americans are labeled “obese.” Our thin-obsessed society firmly believes that fat people are at fault for their size and it is politically correct to stigmatize and ridicule them. Fat discrimination is one of the last publicly accepted discriminatory practices. Fat people have rights and they need to be upheld!

NAAFA’s message of size acceptance and self-acceptance is often overshadowed by a $49 billion-a-year diet industry that has a vested economic interest in perpetuating discrimination against fat people. Without active financial support from people like you, NAAFA would not exist and could not fulfill its crucial role defending your rights. While it is an uphill battle to achieve our goals, together we are making a difference.
    Our Vision
    A society in which people of every size are accepted with dignity and equality in all aspects of life.

Our Mission
    To eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment though public education, advocacy, and support.

Our Promise
    NAAFA will be a powerful force for positive social change. Using our collec­tive will, talents and resources, we will improve the world — not just for fat people, but for everyone.

We Come in All Sizes…
    Understand it.
    Support it.
    Accept it."

Having a website does not a movement make.
  • peckchris3267
    Options

"About Us

Our Vision

Our Mission

Our Promise

We Come in All Sizes…
    Understand it.
    Support it.
    Accept it."

Except that this is far more than just a website. It's been around far longer than websites have been. There are meetings around the world.

• peckchris3267
    Options
    https://www.meetup.com/topics/fatpride/

"Meet other local men and women who are overweight and proud. Gather for socialization, support, and to show off your pride by strutting your stuff!"
  • peckchris3267
    Options
    https://www.meetup.com/topics/fat-acceptance/

"Find out what's happening in Fat Acceptance Meetup groups around the world and start meeting up with the ones near you."
  • peckchris3267
    Options

"About Us

Our Vision

Our Mission

Our Promise

We Come in All Sizes…
    Understand it.
    Support it.
    Accept it."

BRIEF HISTORY
    The Fat-Acceptance Movement

http://content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1913858,00.html
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I was obese and it was being "fat shamed" that got my butt in gear. YOU can accept YOURSELF as fat, but I don't have to.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options

"About Us

Our Vision

Our Mission

Our Promise

We Come in All Sizes…
    Understand it.
    Support it.
    Accept it."

OMG yes we get it!

I'm agreeing with the main jist of her post, that there are no excuses, that you put yourself in the position you find yourself in.

• lorinoye
    lorinoye Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As an advocate of the plus-size movement, I will respectfully disagree with you.

I don't advocate that being morbidly obese is healthy in any way. I've been heavy my entire life and I come from a family of larger people, so I know the health issues involved (which is why I'm working on losing the extra weight). There are a slew of health issues all related to one's weight. Anyone who claims that you can be fat & healthy is lying to themselves and you.

However, to me the movement is about teaching people that you don't need to be a size 1 with 0% body fat to be "beautiful". And it's not just about young girls growing up in a society that says if you don't look like the models in the magazine you're unworthy. My mother is 67 years old, 5'3", roughly 130lbs. She wears a size 14 pants because of how she carries her weight. That makes her plus-size in the U.S. which is absolutely ridiculous! She's perfectly healthy, but she doesn't look like what the media tells us a woman should look like.

For me, the bottom line of the plus-size movement is this: people come in all shapes and sizes and that is just fine. Who are you to shame someone based solely on their outward appearance? Just because you are a size 16 doesn't mean you are unhealthy, and just because you are a size 4 doesn't mean you are healthy. It's about accepting people for who they are, even if that doesn't conform to the "ideal body type."
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I support fat acceptance because much like thousands of other habits, hobbies, body modification, medical choices, religious and/or personal choices, sexual orientation, gender acceptance....etc etc...the way someone else chooses to live is NOT my business. Feeling mentally happy/healthy in your skin is very personal and private.

These movements aren't about "agreeing" with obesity. It's about acknowledging that *others* have no business judging them for their personal choices and certainly not determining who "deserves to feel happy about themselves".

Anything that promotes positive minds is a good thing. It's that simple. And people who judge or shame the choices of others are simply disgraceful. If you don't like overweight people feeling good about themselves as human beings (?!)...its probably *you* that needs some introspection and therapy. Not them.

Sorry, but ...ugh.

But that is not what this organization is about, this is in their own words;

"Association to Advance Fat Acceptance (NAAFA) is a non-profit, all volunteer, civil rights organization dedicated to protecting the rights and improving the quality of life for fat people."

What rights are fat people being deprived of?

The text you posted literally addresses this: "Fat people are discriminated against in all aspects of daily life, from employment to education to access to public accommodations, and even access to adequate medical care."

If you don't understand what they're advocating for, maybe check out their website. I find it impossible to believe they don't have clarifying information.
  • peckchris3267
    Options
    I support fat acceptance because much like thousands of other habits, hobbies, body modification, medical choices, religious and/or personal choices, sexual orientation, gender acceptance....etc etc...the way someone else chooses to live is NOT my business. Feeling mentally happy/healthy in your skin is very personal and private.

These movements aren't about "agreeing" with obesity. It's about acknowledging that *others* have no business judging them for their personal choices and certainly not determining who "deserves to feel happy about themselves".

Anything that promotes positive minds is a good thing. It's that simple. And people who judge or shame the choices of others are simply disgraceful. If you don't like overweight people feeling good about themselves as human beings (?!)...its probably *you* that needs some introspection and therapy. Not them.

Sorry, but ...ugh.

"Association to Advance Fat Acceptance (NAAFA) is a non-profit, all volunteer, civil rights organization dedicated to protecting the rights and improving the quality of life for fat people."

The text you posted literally addresses this: "Fat people are discriminated against in all aspects of daily life, from employment to education to access to public accommodations, and even access to adequate medical care."

If you don't understand what they're advocating for, maybe check out their website. I find it impossible to believe they don't have clarifying information.
    This group got powerful enough to convince the American Medical Association to categorize obesity as a disease. As a result, the Americans With Disabilities Act protect obese people from discrimination. Fat people have legal recourse if they are discriminated against.

• janejellyroll
    Options

Sorry, but ...ugh.

This group got powerful enough to convince the American Medical Association to categorize obesity as a disease. As a result, the Americans With Disabilities Act protect obese people from discrimination. Fat people have legal recourse if they are discriminated against.

This isn't true. Obesity, in and of itself, isn't a recognized disability under the ADA.
  • peckchris3267
    Options

Sorry, but ...ugh.

This isn't true. Obesity, in and of itself, isn't a recognized disability under the ADA.
    You are just plain wrong.

http://www.law.com/sites/michaelkraemer/2014/11/11/is-obesity-considered-a-disability-under-the-ada/?slreturn=20170506115633

"The Equal Employment in Opportunity Commission (“EEOC”) now claims obesity is a disability under ADA."
  • peckchris3267
    Options

Sorry, but ...ugh.

http://www.law.com/sites/michaelkraemer/2014/11/11/is-obesity-considered-a-disability-under-the-ada/?slreturn=20170506115633

"The Equal Employment in Opportunity Commission (“EEOC”) now claims obesity is a disability under ADA."

Sorry, but ...ugh.

Did you read the very next sentence in that blog post?

"Courts have routinely rejected general obesity as a “disability” under the ADA. Cases have required one to show some different underlying medical condition that is a disability and that causes obesity as a “symptom.”'

Your claim was that the ADA protects obese people from discrimination. But the very blog post you cite in support of that doesn't even make that claim. Courts have routinely rejected such claims. The EEOC can "claim" whatever, but if courts don't recognize it then it isn't covered under the ADA.

The law may go in that direction, it may not. It isn't there right now. Re-read your source.
    I read my source and it concludes that obesity is a disability covered by the ADA.

"Now it appears that obesity may be covered under the protections of the ADA. The question remains whether the ADA will start to include other illnesses that were long excluded from the protections of the ADA,"

Individual cases can be brought to court all day long but that doesn't change the fact that it is now the law.
  • peckchris3267
    Options

Sorry, but ...ugh.

Sorry, but ...ugh.

"Courts have routinely rejected general obesity as a “disability” under the ADA. Cases have required one to show some different underlying medical condition that is a disability and that causes obesity as a “symptom.”'

Your claim was that the ADA protects obese people from discrimination. But the very blog post you cite in support of that doesn't even make that claim. Courts have routinely rejected such claims. The EEOC can "claim" whatever, but if courts don't recognize it then it isn't covered under the ADA.

The law may go in that direction, it may not. It isn't there right now. Re-read your source.
    Here are a few cases where the law was successfully utilized;

"Increasingly, however, courts are taking ADA claims based on obesity more seriously. In a 1993 case arising out of Rhode Island, for example, the federal court concluded that, although simple obesity probably would not qualify, morbid obesity caused by a physiological disorder would be a disability entitling the plaintiff to ADA protection. The court's finding was premised on the fact that the disorder was permanent, and that the claimant's weight gain was not meaningfully voluntary.
    A 1997 decision of the federal district court in New York agreed that morbid obesity could be a qualifying disability, although it denied the plaintiff's claim because she could not demonstrate that her obesity substantially limited her ability to work. In 1996, the federal district court in New Hampshire held that a teacher had adequately stated a claim under the ADA when she alleged that she had been fired because of her weight and the evidence reflected student perceptions based on her size that she was less intelligent.
    The federal district court in Pennsylvania, in 1997, awarded damages to a fired employee when he was able to show that his former manager had made derogatory comments about his weight. And a 1996 Texas decision found that a bus company had improperly decided not to hire an obese woman as a driver because the company could not demonstrate that her obesity would prevent her from performing the necessary functions of the job.
    In 2010, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission ("EEOC") alleged violation of the ADA in its lawsuit in a U.S. District Court in Louisiana on behalf of a severely obese worker who was terminated. The EEOC, suing on behalf of the worker who died before the lawsuit was filed, announced its intention to send a message to employers that the agency viewed the termination as a classic case of disability bias. After unsuccessful attempts to have the case dismissed, the employer agreed to pay a settlement to the worker's estate."

• janejellyroll
    Options

Sorry, but ...ugh.

Sorry, but ...ugh.

I read my source and it concludes that obesity is a disability covered by the ADA.

"Now it appears that obesity may be covered under the protections of the ADA. The question remains whether the ADA will start to include other illnesses that were long excluded from the protections of the ADA,"

Individual cases can be brought to court all day long but that doesn't change the fact that it is now the law.

How can it be the law when the courts routinely reject the claims, as your source claims?
  • peckchris3267
    Options

Sorry, but ...ugh.

Sorry, but ...ugh.

How can it be the law when the courts routinely reject the claims, as your source claims?
    that happens all the time and it is no longer "routinely ".

This discussion has been closed.