Ask a mortician

Options

Replies

• LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    How many gallons of water can you put in a body?

2 gallons of fluid for someone 250 lbs or less. 3 gallons for someone 300-400 lbs, and 4 gallons for someone 500+ The tricky part about big people is they tend to swell.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Do they actually bother to dress the corpse in the clothes provided by the family ? If it's a sealed coffin and nobody actually sees inside how do you know ? My brother and I provided clothes for my dad to be dressed in, but his coffin was sealed shut so my brother wondered if they even bother putting the clothes on. Wouldn't it be difficult to dress a 6 foot man who was quite big built when you can't move the body around (I'm guessing rigor mortis had set in quite well by this stage )

Yes, we dress everyone. It isn't hard to dress them, we cut the clothes in the back and slide them on (except for pants). When people bring clothes that are too little it becomes challenging.

what's the weirdest outfit someone has requested for visitation and burial?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Do they actually bother to dress the corpse in the clothes provided by the family ? If it's a sealed coffin and nobody actually sees inside how do you know ? My brother and I provided clothes for my dad to be dressed in, but his coffin was sealed shut so my brother wondered if they even bother putting the clothes on. Wouldn't it be difficult to dress a 6 foot man who was quite big built when you can't move the body around (I'm guessing rigor mortis had set in quite well by this stage )

Yes, we dress everyone. It isn't hard to dress them, we cut the clothes in the back and slide them on (except for pants). When people bring clothes that are too little it becomes challenging.

We buried a guy without pants because his wife wanted us too.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I legit thought this was about the YouTuber with the same name. Whoops.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

We buried a guy without pants because his wife wanted us too.

I understand, I damn sure do.

.............. no rocky top sweatshirts?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    I legit thought this was about the YouTuber with the same name. Whoops.
    Sorry to disappoint ya.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    Looking at your new profile pic.

Do you ever stick your big toe into the spigot?

(Be careful, that would be an embarrassing 911 call! LoL
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    What's the airspeed of a laden swallow?
  • marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    nolan44219 wrote: »
    have you ever had to get someone ready for burial and thought "damn this ole boy should have been an organ donor?"

I often mumble to myself the opposite actually. Organ donors are a lot of extra work. You have to worry about them leaking so we put them in a plastic coveralls. I think it's a very noble gift. I wouldn't choose if for myself or my family because I wouldn't want to see them picked apart in the behind the scenes stuff.

Really? The loved one could save lives by donating an organ but you'd worry about what happens to their dead body? That seems odd to me. Who cares what happens to the body when they don't need it anymore.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this thread. All the stuff you wanted to know but didn't know how to find out!
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    marelthu wrote: »
    I fully respect people's personal choices regarding organ donation either way. B)

Yes. My mother for example was born with a heart defect and underwent many surgeries and procedures during her life, from early childhood on. She says that when she's gone she just wants it to be done, she doesn't want anyone cutting up or experimenting on her body. People have personal reasons. Though I do think if more people got to see the good organ donation does first hand more people would be open to it.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

European or American?
  • Motorsheen
    Options

oh, that's easy....

wait.

African or European Laden Swallow?
  • WannaBHottyMommy
    WannaBHottyMommy Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am seriously impressed how long you've kept this going!
    I had a 30 y/o friend die from small cell carcinoma ovarian cancer last year, they did a memorial and for a long while I assumed she was cremated but found out later she was buried. Do you see this often?
    I had seen her a few days before she died and she had cancer oozing out of her, I don't know any other way to explain it, so I can understand why they did a memorial and not a casket w/ or w/o viewing.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    I am seriously impressed how long you've kept this going!
    I had a 30 y/o friend die from small cell carcinoma ovarian cancer last year, they did a memorial and for a long while I assumed she was cremated but found out later she was buried. Do you see this often?
    I had seen her a few days before she died and she had cancer oozing out of her, I don't know any other way to explain it, so I can understand why they did a memorial and not a casket w/ or w/o viewing.

It's becoming a common thing not to have the body present. Some people find it too hard and some don't want to feel like they are gawked at when they are gone.
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    have you ever chatted with em(the deados) lilhearsy? or even a brief exchange?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    MrStabbems wrote: »

If I'm having trouble finding an artery or vein I mumble something about "work with me" or where the heck is it? I know you have one."
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    MrStabbems wrote: »

If I'm having trouble finding an artery or vein I mumble something about "work with me" or where the heck is it? I know you have one."

was it difficult at first getting into and settling in the profession? did you have a eww or creepy vibe that slowly subsided? from what I've seen of you in the forums ima say no but ya never know!