Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    MsEllaTY wrote: »
    Dairy is bad for your health and so is alcohol. Oooo instant unpopularity :wink:

Why is dairy bad for your health if you have no allergies or digestive issues?

eta: And really, that's pretty marginally unpopular - you can still be one of the in-crowd as long as you don't recommend ACV for weight-loss :)
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    If McDonalds sells it... It's fast food... that's the definition of fast food..

Happy Meal Toys? :P

But the Egg McMuffin....
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Dairy is bad for your health and so is alcohol. Oooo instant unpopularity :wink:

I probably agree with this. Not in the sense that it's BAD, bad, but no, humans do not have a physiological need for milk produced for baby cows, and treating it as if it's a required food group is nonsense.

I'm one of those crazy people that believes the dairy industry is largely to blame for the early development of our girls. I'll happily don my tin foil hat, now.

I tend to agree that unfermented milk products aren't good for adults.
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'd call hamburgers from McDonald's "garbage" in that their taste is vastly inferior to the burgers I make myself or get at local, non chain restaurants.

In the context of that post, it didn't seem to be about taste. The statement was made that the individual's body wouldn't function properly on hamburgers. Given that everybody has different tastes, I think blanket statements about whole types of food being "garbage" don't make much sense. A McDonald's hamburger isn't for me or for you, that's fine. But many people do genuinely enjoy them.

Yeah. To be clearer, I wasn't talking about taste, but sodium and fat and what other fillers might be in there. And I was thinking about McD's, Jack in the Box, Burger King, etc. Even my kids won't eat burgers from those places, but they are fine with Five Guys and In and Out. Go figure.

The burgers I make for my family once in a while, with grass fed beef, are probably reasonably healthy, but I still don't want to eat them. But that's my own problem, I guess.

I can make, and do eat, healthy pizza and tacos, but I'm not going to Taco Hell or even Del Taco to eat one.

I over generalized, but I do still consider the big mac to be basically non nutritional. Sure, we can pull out some nutrients it might have, but they come at a huge price for me -- a price I'm not willing to pay any more.

I knew my opinion was unpopular, but I didn't realize HOW unpopular! Lol And no judging if you eat a Big Mac every week or if your go to meal is a hamburger. If it fits in your plan, go for it. I just know it doesn't fit in my 1200 a day deficit or 1600 a day maintenance. And even if I could work out enough to pay for the calories, a hamburger doesn't fuel that work out. For me.

• MsEllaTY
    MsEllaTY Posts: 10 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Why is dairy bad for your health if you have no allergies or digestive issues?

Because of the way the body's bicarbonate buffer system works, the acidity that dairy causes can cause bone loss. I don't think it's a big issue for people who do weight training but if you look up the statistics for the countries with the highest dairy consumption they also lead with bone loss. BUT it's big business like many things are and so the push toward less toxic milks has been done mostly by the fitness community and is why almond, soy, and rice milk is much more available now. Animal protein is just hard on the body all together especially the kidneys and increases the risk of cancer for the same reason "acidity".
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion is that calorie counting is a temporary learning tool, not a "lifestyle." It's like training wheels on a bike...they can get you comfortable, but eventually one should just be able to ride.

I think that's great for people whose bodies tell them "ok, enough". For some of us, a lifetime of failing at intuitive eating suggests that we're going to need those training wheels for a very, very long time. Being off by even 100-200 calories a day can have disasterous long-term effects. I'm not taking issue with your opinion here, I'm sure you're right. I personally apparently can't hold balance on a bicycle, weight-wise, though.

Disastrous long-term effects? Only if you ignore the slow creep of weight gain, in which case it would be the ignoring that was disastrous. Don't ignore the signs and it's easy enough to correct.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    fvsp1213 wrote: »

Celiac Awareness posted a short video of things people with Celiac would like to tell people. One of them was, "Just because that's gluten free, doesn't mean I want to eat it!" I need that on a card I can distribute to people (especially my well-intentioned husband and mother.)

AMEN!!
This discussion has been closed.